• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Deku Tree

after doing some googling, i seem to be having this issue:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/27003600#27003600

i'll probably try reading through that thread and see if there are any solutions.

If it wasn't happening before you upgraded and it just started happening immediately after you upgraded there is a high probability that it has to do with the upgrade. The easiest thing to check is to swap out for the old ram and see if the issue stops happening.

It has been almost two weeks since the release of the new 2015 13" rMBPs and I am curious what people thing of it so far?

On a whim I picked up one of the 512GB models yesterday while in the Apple store to see if I could downsize from my 15" as I am doing lots of travel now for work. The smaller footprint and weight would make a big difference.

I have been throwing some Adobe Premiere editing at it and it runs super smooth. Exporting takes about 1.8x as long as my late 2013 15" rMBP, but I am totally able to do other work while it is exporting in the background. And it still stays pretty cool throughout the export above and below and the fan's aren't very loud. I am going to try and put it through the paces this week, but I think I am sold.

Also the force touch trackpad is really great. I have been a tap to touch person, but the first click is just right and quiet while feeling like a click.

So new 13" rMPB owners, what have you been throwing at your new machine? What do you think?

mrkgoo

Just realized -- force touch should allow a non moving home button right? That'd be cool.
I actually imagine that would be where apple would like to hear if at all possible. The way all those buttons break must be a sore point in regards to repairs.

Of course, assuming the haptics are something more durable.

Fuchsdh

I actually imagine that would be where apple would like to hear if at all possible. The way all those buttons break must be a sore point in regards to repairs.

Of course, assuming the haptics are something more durable.
Yeah that's my question too. Presumably the springs are more durable, but until we see thousands of taps, it's really academic. I'm glad I've got a normal trackpad until we find out how tough they are.

tr4656

Just realized -- force touch should allow a non moving home button right? That'd be cool.
Yeah, although not sure if that would be an 'S' feature.

Yeah that's my question too. Presumably the springs are more durable, but until we see thousands of taps, it's really academic. I'm glad I've got a normal trackpad until we find out how tough they are.

I'm thinking more like million of taps. I really want that trackpad although durability is somewhat for a concern. Tap to click still always works.

Anyone else ever get a little issue of when you have an app open but not minimized and you're in another app/window ontop and you click the dock icon for the former app it opens a finder window instead?

Deku Tree

So how come silver light says its unsigned and won't install (without turning gate keeper off)?

I did read somewhere it wasn't an app or something, but flash player always seems to install ok.

IDK, I remember having that problem too in the past with Silver Light oo. I haven't had it in a long time though... granted I usually watch Netflix on my DVD player now... I have installed Office on three or more computers in the past year and had no problems with permissions. That is all I can tell you.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just curious but what do you need Silverlight for? Nothing uses it anymore. Well maybe still Netflix, but that's not a problem if you use Safari.

Falch

I'm on the verge of getting a rMBP 13 inch, I'll be using it mainly for mail, Internet, PDFs, some light photo editing (Lightroom) and music/video watching. I've a few questions:

Will 8gb RAM be enough for above mentioned tasks? 200€ for an 8gb increase is quite pricey.

Any must have apps you guys recommend?

How's the new office beta?

I'll also be buying a NAS for central storage to stream content to several devices.

mrkgoo

IDK, I remember having that problem too in the past with Silver Light oo. I haven't had it in a long time though... granted I usually watch Netflix on my DVD player now... I have installed Office on three or more computers in the past year and had no problems with permissions. That is all I can tell you.

Just curious but what do you need Silverlight for? Nothing uses it anymore. Well maybe still Netflix, but that's not a problem if you use Safari.

Netflix only started yesterday for my region. In the meantime, a competitor was offering discounts and a free year subscription, thought I'd give it a try. Basically a bunch of TV shows.

They use silverlight. Tried to install, was a temporary no go, so went no problem I want to use my iPhone anyway, but they don't make an app for phones to view. Bah. So ok I can use my age old iPad 1. Not ideal, but I guess if I have to.... BAH supported from iOS 6 onwards (last iPad 1 release is iOS 5.1.1).

Sometimes it frustrates me how hard it is to try and obtain stuff legitimately. I mean, You have to go through so many hoops and stuff when pirating is potentially easier, cheaper and higher quality.

I did make a thread hoping to discuss it, but it was locked down. I know piracy is a no-no (on this forum and in general), but I thought discussion was ok - just wanted some thoughts on the matter.

Anyway, that's all beside the point. Might sign up for Netflix. Thing is the website doesn't tell me what is available. LOL.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Netflix only started yesterday for my region. In the meantime, a competitor was offering discounts and a free year subscription, thought I'd give it a try. Basically a bunch of TV shows.

Anyway, that's all beside the point. Might sign up for Netflix. Thing is the website doesn't tell me what is available. LOL.
Have you tried temporarily turning GateKeper off completely to install it? If it doesn't work then, I don't know what's wrong. It shouldn't give you problems even with it turned on.

I know Netflix uses HTML5 on Safari. It might work without Silverlight. Is this Australia?

mrkgoo

I'm on the verge of getting a rMBP 13 inch, I'll be using it mainly for mail, Internet, PDFs, some light photo editing (Lightroom) and music/video watching. I've a few questions:

Will 8gb RAM be enough for above mentioned tasks? 200€ for an 8gb increase is quite pricey.

I'll also be buying a NAS for central storage to stream content to several devices.

People have been using 8GB ram for ages on those exact tasks. I don't know why people consider that it isn't enough. I know more ram is better, and that some people for some reason consider 16 GB as minimum. I have 8GB and my computer runs sweet. I guess thing is I don't have doZens of tabs open on flash sites while doing other heavy tasks.

I generally stick to apple apps wherever possible. There are some go tos for basic stuff like VLC for a third party media player, handbrake for media conversion etc.

Office beta, no idea. But you get pages, numbers and keynote for free. I say try those and see fbthey for your workflow.

mrkgoo

Have you tried temporarily turning GateKeper off completely to install it? If it doesn't work then, I don't know what's wrong. It shouldn't give you problems even with it turned on.

I know Netflix uses HTML5 on Safari. It might work without Silverlight. Is this Australia?

Oh it'll work for sure. But it coming up as unsigned just threw up a flag and thought I'd ask first. Haven't installed silverlight in ages. I imagine the office apps themselves are signed properly though.

What do you mean no problems with it turned on? Are you saying silverlight is supposed to be signed?

Netflix should work without silverlight. Don't know haven't signed up yet - would like to know what's available. New Zealand actually.

While I'm here, thought I'd comment that I didn't know remote disc for using another macs optical drive over network didn't work with audio CDs and Movie DVDs.

Falch

People have been using 8GB ram for ages on those exact tasks. I don't know why people consider that it isn't enough. I know more ram is better, and that some people for some reason consider 16 GB as minimum. I have 8GB and my computer runs sweet. I guess thing is I don't have doZens of tabs open on flash sites while doing other heavy tasks.

I generally stick to apple apps wherever possible. There are some go tos for basic stuff like VLC for a third party media player, handbrake for media conversion etc.

Office beta, no idea. But you get pages, numbers and keynote for free. I say try those and see fbthey for your workflow.

Thx, I was already leaning towards going with 8 gb.
I'll definitely check out apple's productivity apps but PowerPoint compatibility is important to me.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

I was struggling with the same decision recently; this helped.

Yes. You'll be gimping yourself by sticking with 4GB and you'll hate yourself.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Apple really needs to fix iBooks on OS X.

Syncing from my phone never works.

When I open it, I have to click the icon in the Dock to get the window to open. Then I have to manually open the book I was reading.

It needs to work like iOS where the last book opens right to the last page I was on synced with my iOS and other devices. If I change the page, it should force the other device to change to that page too without problems. I don't care if I have the same book open on all 4 of my devices, (Hypothetical situation) when I change the page on one device, it should ripple out to the other devices based on the last one I was interacting with.

It also doesn't even have continuous scrolling which I really miss when reading on my Mac. I don't even care if it just shows one column, as long as the column is wide enough based on how big the font is. I just want to be constantly moving my fingers and scrolling the text. It lets my eyes remain stationary instead of moving around the page. I don't know why but it just feels better for me.

Also, I can't figure out how to sync non-store books (Books from other places) to my iMac. They're only on my MacBook because that's where they were from iTunes. But they won't sync to my iMac. Only the books I own from Apple will. Is there a way to manually copy them over and still have it link the books together for syncing? (I don't want it thinking I have two separate copies of every book.)

mrkgoo

Dunno about Ibooks sorry, but your discussion brought up the point tha to opened iBooks on my Mac for the first time in months.

Naturally, it's because I Bought "Becoming Steve Jobs".

Incidentally, why is the book different sizes in different region iBook store? It's 20.9 MB in the US store but only 4MB in the NZ store.... I can understand a little difference for license pages etc but that's a huge difference. I wonder if the US version has like different fonts or something? I'll never know. Maybe some photos?

EmiPrime

Either they price it at what's sustainable, or they price with the competition, and hurt themselves and everyone else.

People freaking out about $40 software is something I cannot fathom.

I'm no stranger to buying Mac software especially stuff I use everyday but this first release is really buggy, I've run into a lot of issues. It's not mature enough to be asking for a premium price.

tr4656

I'm no stranger to buying Mac software especially stuff I use everyday but this first release is really buggy, I've run into a lot of issues. It's not mature enough to be asking for a premium price.

I honestly haven't ran into too many issues. Knowing the developers, they will relase a 2.0.1 pretty soon fixing some of the bugs.

All that $40 price tag means is that I just can't justify buying it. I have bought $50+ software this year for things I need and will find use for (Adobe CC, Paragon NTFS etc) but I don't need a calendar alternative enough to justify spending that much on it.

I am sure there are people who see a $40 price tag on the app, look at what it brings for that price tag and can absolutely justify the purchase, just not me.

EmiPrime

I honestly haven't ran into too many issues. Knowing the developers, they will relase a 2.0.1 pretty soon fixing some of the bugs.

We're already on 2.01 ;)

All that $40 price tag means is that I just can't justify buying it. I have bought $50+ software this year for things I need and will find use for (Adobe CC, Paragon NTFS etc) but I don't need a calendar alternative enough to justify spending that much on it.

I am sure there are people who see a $40 price tag on the app, look at what it brings for that price tag and can absolutely justify the purchase, just not me.

Same, I buy a lot of Mac software but $40 ($50 once the promotion finishes) is just too much.

I bought Fantastical 1 which is now abandoned and they aren't offering an upgrade path, what if they put out a Fantastical 3 a couple of years from now for $50 and abandon Fantastical 2?

All the Mac sites are waxing lyrical about it but it's alright for them, they probably got free review copies.

mrkgoo

We're already on 2.01 ;)

Same, I buy a lot of Mac software but $40 ($50 once the promotion finishes) is just too much.

I bought Fantastical 1 which is now abandoned and they aren't offering an upgrade path, what if they put out a Fantastical 3 a couple of years from now for $50 and abandon Fantastical 2?

All the Mac sites are waxing lyrical about it but it's alright for them, they probably got free review copies.
Ultimately everyone has to balance cost vs how much value they get out of it, and there's no right or wrong on this matter.

If fantastical comes out with a major new version at cost for $50 every 2 years then that is simply the model they are choosing. It's not uncommon and nor do I think it's unfair. It is what the devs want and they're entitled to charge the model they want to earn money.

keezy

Just ordered a new 13 inch MBP.

I've been doing a lot of dev work with iOS lately for my job. The iPhone Configuration Utility has been giving me trouble with iOS 8. Turns out it was deprecated with iOS 7....

I tried the Apple Configurator on somebody's iMac and loading apps for testing purposes works like a charm.

Looking forward to getting this. Especially with parallels. Need my Backtrack VM's.

Failed to mention this is my first Mac :p

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Fuchsdh

Can anyone recommend a good external drive for my wife's 2012 Macbook Air? She's maxed out the SSD drive with all her photos.

How much space does she need, and does she want something portable, or can it be a desktop drive?

Ultimately everyone has to balance cost vs how much value they get out of it, and there's no right or wrong on this matter.

If fantastical comes out with a major new version at cost for $50 every 2 years then that is simply the model they are choosing. It's not uncommon and nor do I think it's unfair. It is what the devs want and they're entitled to charge the model they want to earn money.

People seem to have forgotten that it costs a lot of money to create an app and then maintain and support it. Apple can afford to give away four years of substantial free updates to Final Cut Pro X, but Apple is the most successful company in the world.

Some fault also lies with Apple, if you take the view that businesses need flexibility in their models. If you want to use the App Store, it comes with two major restrictions: one, you have to sandbox your application, potentially limiting its utility; and two, you have to forsake upgrade pricing, bundles, et al. A la carte and paid new versions are your own methods.

Thing is Preview doesn't deal with large files well at all. Actually we're having that conversation in the Yosemite thread. It's terribly slow when dealing with large PDFs and images. Especially on Retina displays.

Yea that's the issue I'm having currently. It's great for small PDFs, but throw anything large at it and it becomes very sluggish and at times unresponsive when you scroll it annoys me. I mean if Apple fixed it then I wouldn't have issues, but I can't wait around for a fix. I routinely get very large PDFs at my job and I need something that doesn't shit the bed at the sight of large PDFs with high quality images within.

Fuchsdh

Thing is Preview doesn't deal with large files well at all. Actually we're having that conversation in the Yosemite thread. It's terribly slow when dealing with large PDFs and images. Especially on Retina displays.

Haven't actually tried out massive PDFs on my 4K display, but Preview is by far the most responsive PDF viewer I've tried for Mac. Acrobat/Adobe Reader chokes on anything and everything you throw its way.

giga

It seems to be more of a hardware (GPU) related issue than software. Preview uses Quartz for rendering, which is almost completely offloaded to the GPU in OS X. Rendering lots of text and vector graphics at a high frame rate on high resolution displays takes more processing power than today's integrated graphics can output.

tr4656

Force Touch Trackpad on the 13" retina Pro just hasn't clicked for me. I thought it was the entirely new trackpad but it's a combo of haptic feedback and physical push?! Feels very weird...

Skim

It is an entirely new trackpad. The push down click feeling is all from haptic, which it doesn't feel like. The main benefit is that you can click anywhere rather than only with the bottom half.

Alchemy

Went to an Apple store today (was shopping for other stuff in the area, just dropped in) and it really reinforced that I want a 15 inch MBPr and iPhone6+. I want that extra work space, at the scaling settings for the most desktop it was huuuuuge compared to my 11 inch MBA. And my 5C just feels tiny. I want those MBPrs to refresh damn it, I can survive until the next iPhone refresh though >.<

Deku Tree

Haven't actually tried out massive PDFs on my 4K display, but Preview is by far the most responsive PDF viewer I've tried for Mac. Acrobat/Adobe Reader chokes on anything and everything you throw its way.

It seems to be more of a hardware (GPU) related issue than software. Preview uses Quartz for rendering, which is almost completely offloaded to the GPU in OS X. Rendering lots of text and vector graphics at a high frame rate on high resolution displays takes more processing power than today's integrated graphics can output.

Preview is the best most feature filled and bug free and intuitive to use free PDF viewer that I have tried on OSX.

On my max spec 2012 rMBP with 16GB ram I can open hundreds of high res images on my 1440p external dell monitor and it works great.

I don't know about 4K. And I agree that in that case it sounds like a processor issue.

Xun

This Mac Pro has been running slow the past couple of days.

I fucking well hope it's not a motherboard issue, especially considering Apple wants £900 to fix my brothers failing motherboard on his 3 year old iMac (which by the way is fucking disgusting behaviour).

Fuchsdh

This Mac Pro has been running slow the past couple of days.

I fucking well hope it's not a motherboard issue, especially considering Apple wants £900 to fix my brothers failing motherboard on his 3 year old iMac (which by the way is fucking disgusting behaviour).

What generation Mac Pro are you using? What's changed in your usage the past couple of days?

Changes are far more likely your hard drive is dying than something like a Mobo issue on a desktop.

Xun

What generation Mac Pro are you using? What's changed in your usage the past couple of days?

Changes are far more likely your hard drive is dying than something like a Mobo issue on a desktop.
Early 2009 Mac Pro, although we got it August 2010.

It mostly seems graphics related, but certain things have started to slow down such as zooming in and Mission Control (even when there's nothing open). I also noticed a few months back that I had pretty major artifacts whilst playing Minecraft, but this only happened once.

I do have a new GPU (GTX 660) I've yet to install, so I'll probably install that this weekend.

Top Bottom