• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

tr4656

Not compared to the 11inch Air. Not even close.

That's true but compared to the 13 Air.

Hi guys!

Just dropped some serious cash and ordered the new 13inch rMBP. It's my first Macbook and have been desperately needing a portable machine since I'm in University very soon, and the big desktop Mac ain't going nowhere with me, lol.

Question: What are some decent carrying cases for this thing?

You mean like a sleeve?

SuperSah

Banned
Yup, a Sleeve.

I saw this, it looks alright:

IMG_8937.jpg

Fuchsdh

No single video card on the market, and I don't think any sort of hack multiple GPU/MST solution exists at present either.

I don't understand the 8K hype—4K adoption has been abysmal outside of niche applications and has no content, so I'm not sure what the point of cramming more initialized pixels into a screen will do. LG seems to be trying to get attention.

No single video card on the market, and I don't think any sort of hack multiple GPU/MST solution exists at present either.

I don't understand the 8K hype—4K adoption has been abysmal outside of niche applications and has no content, so I'm not sure what the point of cramming more initialized pixels into a screen will do. LG seems to be trying to get attention.

It's about the roadmap. 4K is better than 2K, but there is no hard fundamental reason why we have to spend the next decade there. Pushing 8K now makes sense from the perspective of trying to push for more prepared GPUs and Scalers, more DP/HDMI bandwidth, and even higher pixel density.

Of course like you said, we can hardly drive 4k as it is, but that's where scalers are important. We're basically in the same position as tablets/phones are where screens are leading the specs push instead of the CPU/GPU.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Why would they jump to 8K when they're skipping 4K for now on the AppleTV and the iMac is only 5K because it just happens to be what they needed to go Retina.

I don't see it. They'll go as high resolution as they need to on the iMacs and other Macs to get the resolution to double width and height and no higher.

giga

The PPI on the 5k is enough for the next few years, honestly. Maybe in 2020 it might be time to look at increases.

Futureman

bedroom in my apartment with my GF only has the two prong outlets. We are probably moving out in August so we don't want to raise a stink with the landlord to replace it with 3 prong ones...

she's about to buy an iMac and I have a 15" rMBP... you think it would be OK to buy a 2-prong to 3-prong electrical adapter and use it for the meantime?

Futureman

does the 5K iMac have any performance issues? How does it handle stuff like After Effects or video editing compared to a normal iMac?

Fuchsdh

does the 5K iMac have any performance issues? How does it handle stuff like After Effects or video editing compared to a normal iMac?

It'll probably have the same throttling issues the iMacs in our office have—slowing down on very long or intensive renders.

bedroom in my apartment with my GF only has the two prong outlets. We are probably moving out in August so we don't want to raise a stink with the landlord to replace it with 3 prong ones...

she's about to buy an iMac and I have a 15" rMBP... you think it would be OK to buy a 2-prong to 3-prong electrical adapter and use it for the meantime?

The device will function, but you're asking for a nasty shock using a metal computer if the wiring is bad in the apartment.

Caronte

When I first logged in Gmail in Safari, it asked me if I wanted to configure automatically Mail and stuff and I said yes. The thing is: Mail doesn't tell when I get new emails. I have to open the app and let it update. But the thing is that when I go to preferences it says that Gmail is IMAP. Shouldn't it have Push notifications?

I remember in my iPad I had to set it to check for updates every X minutes, but in Mail there's not an option for that just for Gmail, it would have to be all of my accounts. Am I missing something here?

Edit: I just sent an email to my icloud account and it doesn't tell me anything either. Does the app need to be open for the notifications to work?

tr4656

When I first logged in Gmail in Safari, it asked me if I wanted to configure automatically Mail and stuff and I said yes. The thing is: Mail doesn't tell when I get new emails. I have to open the app and let it update. But the thing is that when I go to preferences it says that Gmail is IMAP. Shouldn't it have Push notifications?

I remember in my iPad I had to set it to check for updates every X minutes, but in Mail there's not an option for that just for Gmail, it would have to be all of my accounts. Am I missing something here?

Edit: I just sent an email to my icloud account and it doesn't tell me anything either. Does the app need to be open for the notifications to work?

You can close the window but the app itself has to be open.

Mail has to be open, yes. The difference with your iPad is that Mail is always open.

Mail has to be open, yes. The difference with your iPad is that Mail is always open.

False. Mail is in a saved state, and occasionally, a fetch event is triggered at a set interval, or push event from the server will be fired, creating an alert. Upon opening the app, the app is actually (likely) moved back into memory and ran again, and proceeds to download the full message.

People who force close all their apps on iOS simply have them misconfigured, and don't have an understanding for how multitasking on iOS works.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
That new Force Touch is something that I originally thought was silly, but after actually using it it's mind blowing.

Hopefully Apple does Apple and applies that to all sorts of different things.

That new Force Touch is something that I originally thought was silly, but after actually using it it's mind blowing.

Hopefully Apple does Apple and applies that to all sorts of different things.
The Watch uses it. Does it work with older Macs, or is the trackpad itself special?

Granadier

The Watch uses it. Does it work with older Macs, or is the trackpad itself special?

Good call on their part. I can see a lot of uses for it there.

And yeah, like tr said, it's new hardware that actually makes the trackpad no longer move. It now just has vibration motors underneath that give the sensation of actually "clicking" the track pad.

Seems silly, but it works amazingly well.

Futureman

False. Mail is in a saved state, and occasionally, a fetch event is triggered at a set interval, or push event from the server will be fired, creating an alert. Upon opening the app, the app is actually (likely) moved back into memory and ran again, and proceeds to download the full message.

People who force close all their apps on iOS simply have them misconfigured, and don't have an understanding for how multitasking on iOS works.

I didn't think there's actually a way to "force close" an app on iOS. Swiping it out of the recently used apps is just tidying up your app switcher really. It doesn't actually "force close" the app? or maybe not.

bionic77

Suggestions for a mouse for an iMac?

Mine came with the Magic Mouse, which is serviceable but not amazing.

I do like the touch feature on top of the mouse but I would exchange that for buttons. Any recommendations? A lot of people have gone with the trackpad, is that sufficient for a desktop?

Suggestions for a mouse for an iMac?

Mine came with the Magic Mouse, which is serviceable but not amazing.

I do like the touch feature on top of the mouse but I would exchange that for buttons. Any recommendations? A lot of people have gone with the trackpad, is that sufficient for a desktop?

Logitech Performance MX, or the upcoming MX Master. I'm planning on trying out the MX Master since I loved the old MX Revolution back in my Windows-only days.

Fuchsdh

I just got a Razer Deathadder and have been pleased with it, but having programmable buttons for gaming was a priority for me and for native Mac support, that basically leaves you with Razer or certain Logitech mice (for whatever reason not all their mice support the Mac version of the software you need to run them.)

(Also, wireless mice are still incredibly flaky in so many scenarios, I'd rather go wired every day of the week.)

Blackhead

Redarse
Tap to click still works. Just don't press down.

But you have to press down for the pressure sensitive force touch shortcuts. It feels weird to always feel the old click when I'm trying to do the new stuff. Is it possible to only have the tap (to click) with the new pressure sensitive stuff?

Fuchsdh

This is amazing.

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/notebooks/37472-skylake-15w-mobile-skus-getting-iris-graphics

I wasn't very fond of the $499 Mac mini getting the same processor as the MacBook Air but you look at this, you have yet again Intel continuing to make strides. nVidia and AMD will stay miles ahead but only on the mid and high ranges.

The downside is that there are going to be serious thermal limits in most cases. The biggest bump we've seen has been with the Iris Pro—when the dedicated eDRAM becomes common on the Iris graphics, then we'll see the real gains.

Servbot24

Banned
I am getting pretty sick of my iMac. 2009, i5 2.66Ghz, 12GB RAM, updated with SSD. Freezes several times per week, and is generally very sluggish. I don't have a ton of programs open at once but I do usually have several large psds open (4GB total sometimes). And honestly this is a much lighter workload than I would like to have open at once, since i also make use of ZBrush and Maya.

My plan was to wait until Fall for a new iMac iteration but I'm having trouble waiting that long. I'm tempted to get a refurbished model for now and then sell it in the Fall. Not sure if that would be financially viable though. I'm willing to take a hit of $200 or so.

Deku Tree

I am getting pretty sick of my iMac. 2009, i5 2.66Ghz, 12GB RAM, updated with SSD. Freezes several times per week, and is generally very sluggish. I don't have a ton of programs open at once but I do usually have several large psds open (4GB total sometimes). And honestly this is a much lighter workload than I would like to have open at once, since i also make use of ZBrush and Maya.

My plan was to wait until Fall for a new iMac iteration but I'm having trouble waiting that long. I'm tempted to get a refurbished model for now and then sell it in the Fall. Not sure if that would be financially viable though. I'm willing to take a hit of $200 or so.

I have the 2009 iMac 27 Late 2009 3.06GHz with 12GB RAM and a 1TB HDD (that was replaced by Apple because of a recall program) and it is much slower than my newer machines but it doesn't crash. Granted I probably don't push it as hard as you do. But I use it at work all the time.

Fuchsdh

I would kill for iris pro (edram) on the 13" pro.

Would definitely be a boon to it, for sure, especially since they're never going to put a discrete chip in the 13" in the future.

I'd suggest doing a clean install of the OS and see if that makes a difference. A lot of the time that makes far more of a difference than people believe—like it's a brand-new machine.

Servbot24

Banned
I'd suggest doing a clean install of the OS and see if that makes a difference. A lot of the time that makes far more of a difference than people believe—like it's a brand-new machine.

I did this about 10 months ago, but yeah I may do it again. Maybe it would get me through the final stretch til I get a new machine.

The downside is that there are going to be serious thermal limits in most cases. The biggest bump we've seen has been with the Iris Pro—when the dedicated eDRAM becomes common on the Iris graphics, then we'll see the real gains.

I would kill for iris pro (edram) on the 13" pro.

Well maybe what this means is the base model mini, iMac, and all MacBook Airs will get Iris in the 15W variant and the rMBP and other mini models will get the 28W variant with 64 MB of eDRAM. Here's a chart from last year via Wikipedia.

1r8C2ye.png

Chris R

Amazon won't let me buy a MacBook Pro... fucking hell.

Special Shipping Information: Due to federal and international regulations, this product can only be shipped within the 50 states.

Alaska might be kinda far away and what not, but last time I checked we were still a state.

Chris R

Thats terrible. Any reason from Amazon rather than Apple?

No. Amazon is just dumb. I submitted a ticket but they need to process it and realize their error.

I'm guessing they flagged the item as lower 48/continental US only instead of US only.

Granadier

The temptation is so strong to sell my 15" and get a new 13" retina. It would be so nice to have around campus and work.

Must. Resist.

Top Bottom