• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Dany

Banned
Speaking of preview, whats a good/free? app that I can make annotations in for 155 slide pdfs? The professor isn't giving us the .pptx :/

image.php

SelfCon

Greetings, Apple-GAF. A coworker is selling an early 2011 macbook pro in excellent condition for $500. 13 inch model, 2.3 i5, 4gb, and 320gb. Good deal or pass?

Fuchsdh

Greetings, Apple-GAF. A coworker is selling an early 2011 macbook pro in excellent condition for $500. 13 inch model, 2.3 i5, 4gb, and 320gb. Good deal or pass?

It's in the same ballpark as similar sold listings on eBay, generally a bit lower, so I'd say it's a decent deal. At the very least he's not ripping you off.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
My newMacbook says I've got about a GB worth of photos taking up space, yet i can't find these files?
I think I recall reading somewhere that those estimates are wildly inaccurate on brand new machines because the disk hasn't been indexed yet. I had pretty much the same experience when I checked my new one, and it has since "fixed" itself in the weeks since.

Meh3D

What am I looking for?

You're suppose to see mostly black like in the second picture no silver on the edges. However, in the first one you see the edges of silver because the shell doesn't cover. In last two you see the corners where the shell corners can't cover the edges .

This is all in the top cover. The bottom cover first perfectly.

You're suppose to see mostly black like in the second picture no silver on the edges. However, in the first one you see the edges of silver because the shell doesn't cover. In last two you see the corners where the shell corners can't cover the edges .

This is all in the top cover. The bottom cover first perfectly.

Ah, gotcha.

keezy

Curious what you guys are using for Office. I need Outlook/Word/PP/Excel.

I was looking at the 2011 Microsoft Home/Office bundle but it's pretty pricey and it looks like 2016 could be coming out soon.

I have a .edu account I can use for the 2013 University bundle which includes those four programs. The only drawback to that is it seems like its subscription based for 4 years.

Curious what you guys are using for Office. I need Outlook/Word/PP/Excel.

I was looking at the 2011 Microsoft Home/Office bundle but it's pretty pricey and it looks like 2016 could be coming out soon.

I have a .edu account I can use for the 2013 University bundle which includes those four programs. The only drawback to that is it seems like its subscription based for 4 years.

You can use this to get you by until 2016 is out in the second half of the year.

https://products.office.com/en-us/mac/mac-preview

Fuchsdh

What's this I've been hearing about the 2011 Air outperforming the new Macbook? That would be rediculously stupid.

How so? It's a completely different fanless chipset that's optimized for energy use, not processing power.

Seriously, the amount of deja-vu with the Macbook launch is mind-blowing. Hey, remember that Macbook Air, that was so absurdly thin it only had a single USB port, and was so underpowered it would constantly overheat and turn into a really slow one-core machine?

What's this I've been hearing about the 2011 Air outperforming the new Macbook? That would be rediculously stupid.

The benchmark that made it to the wild put the NMB equivalent to a Core i7 Mid-2011 Air. So better than the stock i5, but not by a lot, which is still concerning. (GPU perf will be way better on this vs. the MBA, of course)

We really need to see more benches, to verify those results, see how Turbo mode does, and get a real impression of overall performance. I think its fair to say staying on the fence for awhile longer is a good idea, though

Comparable CPU performance and better GPU performance than a chip that still delivers good performance today and uses more than three times the power? Yeah, that sure sounds terrible.

Everyone gets to pick what matters to them, but my complaints about the new MacBook aren't CPU related.

We really need to see more benches, to verify those results, see how Turbo mode does, and get a real impression of overall performance. I think its fair to say staying on the fence for awhile longer is a good idea, though

Geekbench causes turbo to kick in if you aren't running anything else.

npa189

I really don't get why people are expecting this new macbook to be a powerhouse. This isn't a video editing/gaming machine, that's why they make the pro. Looking at geekbench scores its faster than any Mac in my house right now. Its 2x as fast as my 2008 MBP and within spitting distance of my current Sony ultrabook that is falling apart. This is the perfect computer for my use case, light tasks with an awesome battery. I can do everything else on my gaming rig which has plenty of horsepower.

Mindwipe

I really don't get why people are expecting this new macbook to be a powerhouse. This isn't a video editing/gaming machine, that's why they make the pro. Looking at geekbench scores its faster than any Mac in my house right now. Its 2x as fast as my 2008 MBP and within spitting distance of my current Sony ultrabook that is falling apart. This is the perfect computer for my use case, light tasks with an awesome battery. I can do everything else on my gaming rig which has plenty of horsepower.

People aren't expecting it to be a powerhouse. People are pissed off there's no retina Air while this thing gets good enough for lots of people.

Fuchsdh

The thing is the retina macbook pro is portable enough.

Yeah. The 13" MBP is more expensive and heavier, but the amount of benefits you get for that $200 makes buying an Air pretty foolish unless you really, really can't stand the extra pound of weight.

Yeah. The 13" MBP is more expensive and heavier, but the amount of benefits you get for that $200 makes buying an Air pretty foolish unless you really, really can't stand the extra pound of weight.

Well seeing how people are really tripping over .3lb pound difference between the Air and the NMB, I'd imagine 1lb is like a major health concern.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Looking at the Macbook Pro specs on the Apple website, it doesn't look like they changed much from the 2012 Macbook Pro Retina I have. Is it just the case of them making it simpler to look at and the processors are a lot better, or have they been stagnant due to waiting for a new processor line?

tr4656

Looking at the Macbook Pro specs on the Apple website, it doesn't look like they changed much from the 2012 Macbook Pro Retina I have. Is it just the case of them making it simpler to look at and the processors are a lot better, or have they been stagnant due to waiting for a new processor line?

Processors are definitely faster and compared to the 2012 one, the screen is also better. Another benefit of the new CPUs is longer battery life because of lower power usage.

It's very hard to compare the revisions of intel chips based on clock speed alone these days.

mrkgoo

It's very hard to compare the revisions of intel chips based on clock speed alone these days.

This.

A huge gain in recent years was the improvements in battery life during the move to the has well architecture.

On top of that the integrated graphics enhancements were also significant. It's hard to see the value if you go by raw numbers.

PSU in my 2008 Mac Pro croaked yesterday: it started turning off unexpectedly. Can get it running reliably with just my SSD and GPU installed, but easy to overload it with HDDs or even just loading the CPUs to max. Think it is overheating because once it goes down it can't be booted until it has cooled.

Thank goodness for eBay...

giga

This.

A huge gain in recent years was the improvements in battery life during the move to the has well architecture.

On top of that the integrated graphics enhancements were also significant. It's hard to see the value if you go by raw numbers.
Sadly, CPU performance hasn't increased much recently. The 15% yearly gains are lame.

The processors might not be much different performance wise, but the integrated GPU difference between the Intel HD 4000 and the Intel Iris is pretty big.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So, what do you fellow Mac users think of the new Surface 3?

I have a 64GB iPhone 6 Plus, 16GB iPad Air, and the top-end 15" rMBP. Love all three devices, but I don't go reaching for my iPad hardly at all nowadays. It's in a strange "in-between" where my iPhone is good enough most the time, and if not, I'd rather just grab my laptop.

At about the same price as upgrading my iPad, I'm toying with the idea of getting the Surface 3. About the same size, about the same cost (a little bit more), but runs real Windows and so I could effectively use it for work (where I spend 90% of my time in either Salesforce, Outlook, or Excel). It's built well, has a great screen, is light enough to be used as a tablet.

Deku Tree

I have a 64GB iPhone 6 Plus, 16GB iPad Air, and the top-end 15" rMBP. Love all three devices, but I don't go reaching for my iPad hardly at all nowadays. It's in a strange "in-between" where my iPhone is good enough most the time, and if not, I'd rather just grab my laptop.

At about the same price as upgrading my iPad, I'm toying with the idea of getting the Surface 3. About the same size, about the same cost (a little bit more), but runs real Windows and so I could effectively use it for work (where I spend 90% of my time in either Salesforce, Outlook, or Excel). It's built well, has a great screen, is light enough to be used as a tablet.

I haven't tried a S3 but from what I've read the keyboard cover thing is a poor replacement for an actual keyboard.

Otherwise sure try it out I guess. I haven't personally had that desire but why not.

You right that for me a large format 6 Plus is good enough so frequently that I use it interchangibly with my iPad Air. And I stopped bringing my iPad to work for that reason. I still use the iPad Air a lot at home though.

SuperSah

Banned
Hi guys!

Just dropped some serious cash and ordered the new 13inch rMBP. It's my first Macbook and have been desperately needing a portable machine since I'm in University very soon, and the big desktop Mac ain't going nowhere with me, lol.

Question: What are some decent carrying cases for this thing?

Konka

Banned

I just like OS X far too much to go to Windows at this point. The hardware doesn't even matter really to me.

tr4656

How much better is the screen?

Color reproduction isn't significantly better but the first gen had some burn in issues that's definitely not present with newer ones.

My use case may be different from you but I personally actually do a lot of that stuff on my iPad. I have an LTE Air 2 with the Lightning to USB camera adapter for external keyboard and for coding on the go, it actually is quite a good experience even as a substitute laptop.

I'm honestly not a big of a Windows on tablet either. I have an 8" Windows 8 tablet as well and I mostly use it at the end of the day for desktop apps. Touch screen is definitely helpful if you plan to use it as a laptop but its a poor tablet.
Can the 6 plus use ipad only apps?
No.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Like which ones? I'll try if you give me a free one to look for in the App Store... Although maybe it wouldn't even come up on the 6 Plus.... I thought most iPad apps were universal now...
The problem is that there are apps that only work on the iPad because they need the bigger screen. But there's no sort of "Plus Mode" version of these apps that can work only on the Plus models. So if you want to use any of these iPad apps you need an iPad. Which sucks if you're trying to replace your iPad with your Plus.

I don't know how Apple didn't figure out a proper way for devs to support just the Plus as well as the iPad on their iPad apps. The Plus is basically a middle of the road device. It can be a phone and a tablet. So it should be able to support specially made tablet apps. It would be easy for them to implement the feature, they just need to do it. Hopefully at WWDC they'll have figured something out.

For instance, Pixelmator for iPad could easily support the Plus. But it can't because there's no system in place for them to release it as compatible with the Plus without making it an iPhone app, which wouldn't work because it's not really made for tiny screens. The Plus would be the only one that it could still work on comfortably. But without the right system in place it's impossible. Anyone who has dumped their iPad will lose out on all the iPad only apps they already own.

Top Bottom