• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
MBPr 2014 was relaunched sometime during last summer I think. This is a super marginal upgrade anyway. Avg consumer would be hard-pressed to tell the difference between a haswell and a broadwell powered laptop.
Probably, but either way the bet was for both new Mac hardware and updates. Though technically it should only include new 13" hardware since that's the member question that started this, but whatever.
I've been wanting to change my avatar for a while. This will just keep me from having to put any effort into Photoshopping a hat onto it for 3 months.

Why have they not added a flat/Yosemite style video controls in Safari? They look so out of place compared to everything else. Especially when you look at the updated Quicktime and VLC players.
Who knows. But I suspect 10.11 will bring even more refinements to the UI as OS X and iOS get more closely intertwined. We'll find out in a few weeks.

Looks like the MPBr 15"(2014) is getting discontinued ahead of the relaunch.
http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...k-pro-bto-models-ahead-of-force-touch-refresh

Most likely this will be broad-well + force-touch and the usual 5% jump in speed/battery life. I'd image whenever the Skylake refresh happens (most likely next year) we will also get the new color scheme Apple seems to be applying to all of their products.

Still have my hopes up for a Fall Skylake 15" update. I would like to give you my money, Apple.

At least if it's 2016, it'll definitely be early. Though early could be like March...

cjp

Who knows. But I suspect 10.11 will bring even more refinements to the UI as OS X and iOS get more closely intertwined. We'll find out in a few weeks.

Hope so.

I'm also guessing the unifying threads idea hasn't quite worked out since the Yosemite thread keeps getting bumped.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Hey guys!

I currently have a mid 2012 Macbook Pro Retina (15inch), and due to size I'm looking to downsize. As of now, what would be a good alternative? I don't game on the mac, and I'm no longer in school. I generally use my laptop for web surfing, videos, music, emails, and etc, so nothing extremely CPU/GPU intensive.

Also, let me know (Private message me) if anyone is interested in taking over my current Macbook Pro i'm looking to sell it at $1200

Current spec:
Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2012
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB + GeForce GT 650M

Fuchsdh

Hey guys!

I currently have a mid 2012 Macbook Pro Retina (15inch), and due to size I'm looking to downsize. As of now, what would be a good alternative? I don't game on the mac, and I'm no longer in school. I generally use my laptop for web surfing, videos, music, emails, and etc, so nothing extremely CPU/GPU intensive.

Also, let me know (Private message me) if anyone is interested in taking over my current Macbook Pro i'm looking to sell it at $1200

Current spec:
Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2012
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB + GeForce GT 650M

The current 13" rMBP should be a nice reduction in size for you, and their integrated GPUs shouldn't have any trouble with the tasks you're throwing at it.

Aiii

So not worth it
Hey guys!

What would be worth considering in your case: do you really need a laptop? If not, go for the midrange Mac Mini, significant price difference from MacBook's and similar specs.

Mind you, if you still need to get a keyboard, mouse and monitor, the price difference is negligible, however if you already have these, there's hundreds of bucks to be saved right there.

I was looking into laptops until I realised my couch surfing is done on my tablet anyways, so why bother with a tablet? But again, I already had all the peripherals and a couple of monitors.

Gurman mentioned on the 9to5Mac podcast last week that he thinks a 21.5 inch 4K iMac will be out later this year. I would think around Oct when they'll likely release 10.11.

Fuchsdh

Gurman mentioned on the 9to5Mac podcast last week that he thinks a 21.5 inch 4K iMac will be out later this year. I would think around Oct when they'll likely release 10.11.

Makes sense. But you have to be able to push that many pixels. So I hope they ship it with discrete graphics rather than trying to rely on Broadwell integrated graphics.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
What would be worth considering in your case: do you really need a laptop? If not, go for the midrange Mac Mini, significant price difference from MacBook's and similar specs.

Mind you, if you still need to get a keyboard, mouse and monitor, the price difference is negligible, however if you already have these, there's hundreds of bucks to be saved right there.

I was looking into laptops until I realised my couch surfing is done on my tablet anyways, so why bother with a tablet? But again, I already had all the peripherals and a couple of monitors.

I'll most likely be traveling, so it would be nice to have a laptop - since I have a gaming rig at home. At the same time, some of my web surfing is mostly done on my iPhone as well.

Fuchsdh

Huh, seems like it's just a cut-down version to meet a price point threshold though. Guess that's why they're dropping them now.

The MBP is one of the first computers out there with AMD's 3xx graphics though right?

EDIT: So the 15in is actually still on Haswell processors, unless they didn't update their BTO text. On the plus side, you still get all the other benefits of Force Touch and faster flash, 16GB of RAM standard, and the 370 according to support docs can run a 5K display at 60Hz. Fuel for the updated Apple Cinema Display hopes...

Ninja Dom

15" and iMac refreshed. Can get a 5k for $2k now.

Yup. News here:

Macrumors said:
The response to the new MacBook and updated 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display has been amazing, and today we are thrilled to bring the new Force Touch trackpad, faster flash storage and longer battery life to the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “Customers love the groundbreaking iMac with Retina 5K display, and now with a new lower starting price, even more people can experience the best desktop we’ve ever made."

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/05/19/apple-releases-new-15-inch-macbook-pro/

Force Touch and improved specs on the new MacBook Pro Retina 15" and boosted specs on 27" Retina iMac.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Apple Store site is all messed up.

1kkDK3L.png

Yoda

No broadwell (wouldn't have been a noticeable upgrade anyway) but the top-end 15" model has a 370x. Some leaked benchmarks have this card way higher than I'd thought it'd be.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I can't seem to find any benchmarks on the new dGPU in the 15", has anyone else?

I imagine it's better than my 750M, but probably not as good as the 960/965M I was hoping for. Would love to be wrong. Also upset @ 2GB VRAM.

Guess my MBP lives another day. Holding out for Skylake is a certainty, at this point. Now, the question is... will they do away with the dedicated GPU altogether, or will we get something better?

Fuchsdh

I can't seem to find any benchmarks on the new dGPU in the 15", has anyone else?

I imagine it's better than my 750M, but probably not as good as the 960/965M I was hoping for. Would love to be wrong. Also upset @ 2GB VRAM.

Guess my MBP lives another day. Holding out for Skylake is a certainty, at this point. Now, the question is... will they do away with the dedicated GPU altogether, or will we get something better?

Even if you're cynical, I'd have to say that keeping the dGPU adds a hefty amount to Apple's ASP since you have to start with the midrange model. The question is if Apple feels that the hit to performance or that price is outweighed by a thinner chassis, bigger battery, simplified SKUs, et al.

Considering how thin the new Macbook is, but how relative that is in comparison to the rMBP, I'm not entirely sold on them completely redesigning the MBP with Skylake. I mean, the Macbook is really just a continuation of the now-seven year old design trend of unibody computers (which, if you think about it, is pretty crazy. In that same amount of time we went from the beige G3 tower through the Bondi Blue G3, three iterations of PowerMac G4s, and the PowerMac G5.)

You know what this means?

It means there's even more of a chance I'll win the bet. :p (On a technicality I guess.)

Mac Pro don't fail me now...

(Seriously at this point though I don't understand why they wouldn't, even if it's just a minor update compared to what is coming. Skylake versions of Xeons are going to take forever to come out.)

Yoda

Because no one "officially" has it and the people who leak stuff usually only do it for the enthusiast cards.

http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/16592/amd-radeon-mobility-r9-m300-series-get-benchmarked/

The one labeled "Strato XT" is supposedly comparable to the m370x. gives its a lowerbound of a 950m and an upper-bound of a 960m. Some people are claiming is near a 970m but I certainly wouldn't hold your breath. Also remember its an AMD card so any game that has Nvidia branding all over it will suffer (at least on launch).

Blackhead

Redarse
Argh extensions in Safari are so disorganized. I'm almost ready to resort to manually managing from the folder itself. But first I'll try pruning the list down to essentials and rebuilding my experience from there. Anyone care to share their Safari setup and preferred extensions, mods, hacks etc?

Real Abed, thanks in advance ;-P

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Argh extensions in Safari are so disorganized. I'm almost ready to resort to manually managing from the folder itself. But first I'll try pruning the list down to essentials and rebuilding my experience from there. Anyone care to share their Safari setup and preferred extensions, mods, hacks etc?

Real Abed, thanks in advance ;-P
Well. I have noticed that as I switched from browser to browser I've been able to cut my extensions lists significantly as I settled into the new environment and decided what I absolutely need vs. what I don't.

When I was with Firefox (Which I originally switched to because of its extensibility) I had dozens of them. So many of them. I used CSS to change how the browser looked too just to make it compact and personal.

When I switched to Chrome, I dropped a lot of them. Stylish and others.

Now with Safari I am at the least I need. My small list consists of Ad Block, (Obligatory "Not on GAF" disclaimer) NinjaKit, (For GreaseMonkey. Mainly just YouTube Me!) 1Password, Ultimate Status Bar, (Because WTF Apple? No one wants to keep a persistent status bar, which is off by default, showing just for showing the URL of a link. This should be built in by now! Both Firefox and Chrome have this. And have for years. Rant over.) and QuickStyle. (For adding CSS to sites. But mainly for changing the default zoom of certain websites because on my 1200p display I can't see shit and Safari also doesn't remember zoom settings like Chrome does. Which makes it the second most annoying thing about Safari and the second of two things I would add immediately if I could.)

I don't really need much else. Though if I could put a clock in the toolbar just because I'm in Fullscreen all the time and hate that I can't set OS X to keep the menubar down while fullscreen, I would. I even signed up for a dev account thinking I might develop one myself... but never got around to it. Too much work. I guess I could create a JavaScript (For NinjaKit) to inject a clock into the bottom corner of all pages but... eh.

Alchemy

The refresh for the 15 inch isn't as awesome as I was hoping... but I still need to get one eventually. Should I jump or try to survive for another refresh >.>

Ambitious

Marco Arment's impressions of the new MacBook

Until now, since I started buying Macs 11 years ago, Apple had never shipped a laptop with a keyboard or trackpad that was less than great. They recognized that a laptop without a good keyboard wasn’t a good laptop, even if a lot of people would be OK with it and buy it anyway.

Now, Apple’s priorities have changed. Rather than make really great products that are mostly thin, they now make really thin products that are mostly great.

This concerns me more than you probably think it should. Not only does it represent compromised standards in areas I believe are important, but it suggests that they don’t have many better ideas to advance the products beyond making them thinner, and they’re willing to sacrifice anything to keep that going.

Interesting read.

Because WTF Apple? No one wants to keep a persistent status bar

I do.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Seriously. It's not the '90s anymore. Status bars in browsers are useless except for mouseover URL showing. Back in the day they were used for other things like network status and fancy JavaScript title changing that died off with Marquee and Blink tags. Now they don't even get used at all. Chrome never had one because Google was smart enough to realize they were useless. And Firefox removed theirs years ago even though they're usually the ones clinging to legacy and compatibility. (I just launched FF to check. It's gone completely. Even though some extensions pretend it still exists and I assume FF "dummy's it" to prevent them from erroring out.) And Internet Explorer still has it, but it's hidden by default and you have to actually look for it. When you show it it's blank except for a Zoom setting, which you can find in a menu list anyway. (I don't know about Edge as I can't find it in my Windows 10 preview but I suspect if they were smart they didn't even include it at all during the UI rewrite.)

Why would you want to keep it showing at all times when 90%+ of the time it'll be blank and taking up space? Plus it's way too small because it doesn't scale with the rest of the site. It's useless. A relic from the olden days of 2003 when browsers were starting their metamorphosis into what they are now. They even turn it off by default. It has no reason to exist except to do something that every other browser (Including Internet Explorer) does much better. I'm shocked it didn't die and get replaced when they changed the UI for Yosemite.

Apple has even less of a reason to keep it around because unlike Mozilla and Microsoft, they don't have the same '90s legacy to keep around for greybeards. Safari is brand new relatively. Chrome is newer so it was built smartly to not even have it from the start, but Safari was built during that fragile time when browsers were breaking out of the stale IE6 slump and browser makers were evaluating their UI's and deciding what they needed to keep and what they should dump.

All Apple has to do is copy Google, Mozilla and Microsoft because they're the only ones not doing it right anymore. For now I use an extension to add it in, but it's buggy. Because it doesn't deal with page zooming well so sometimes the box doesn't appear at all because it's off the screen or it appears too high up. And it takes on the pages zoom instead of the system UI size. So I want something built-in.

Ambitious

Seriously. It's not the '90s anymore. Status bars in browsers are useless except for mouseover URL showing. Back in the day they were used for other things like network status and fancy JavaScript title changing that died off with Marquee and Blink tags. Now they don't even get used at all. Chrome never had one because Google was smart enough to realize they were useless. And Firefox removed theirs years ago even though they're usually the ones clinging to legacy and compatibility. (I just launched FF to check. It's gone completely. Even though some extensions pretend it still exists and I assume FF "dummy's it" to prevent them from erroring out.) And Internet Explorer still has it, but it's hidden by default and you have to actually look for it. When you show it it's blank except for a Zoom setting, which you can find in a menu list anyway. (I don't know about Edge as I can't find it in my Windows 10 preview but I suspect if they were smart they didn't even include it at all during the UI rewrite.)

Why would you want to keep it showing at all times when 90%+ of the time it'll be blank and taking up space? Plus it's way too small because it doesn't scale with the rest of the site. It's useless. A relic from the olden days of 2003 when browsers were starting their metamorphosis into what they are now. They even turn it off by default. It has no reason to exist except to do something that every other browser (Including Internet Explorer) does much better. I'm shocked it didn't die and get replaced when they changed the UI for Yosemite.

Apple has even less of a reason to keep it around because unlike Mozilla and Microsoft, they don't have the same '90s legacy to keep around for greybeards. Safari is brand new relatively. Chrome is newer so it was built smartly to not even have it from the start, but Safari was built during that fragile time when browsers were breaking out of the stale IE6 slump and browser makers were evaluating their UI's and deciding what they needed to keep and what they should dump.

All Apple has to do is copy Google, Mozilla and Microsoft because they're the only ones not doing it right anymore. For now I use an extension to add it in, but it's buggy. Because it doesn't deal with page zooming well so sometimes the box doesn't appear at all because it's off the screen or it appears too high up. And it takes on the pages zoom instead of the system UI size. So I want something built-in.

I'm frequently using dark wallpapers. As Safari windows are borderless, it's hard to make out the end of the window when it's showing something dark as well. That's especially annoying when I want to resize it but can't find the window corner. For instance, that's what the bottom part of Safari looks like when the PSN store is loading:

bildschirmfoto2015-054tog2.png

No problem at all when the status bar is visible, of course.

Too small? A bit. But why do you want it to scale with the site? Don't see the point. They should just increase its height by ~25%.
Taking up space? Yes, approximately 17px out of my 1030 (= 1050 - menu bar). I'll manage.

Apart from that, I can use the status bar to move the window. Yes, I do that.

1Password, FastestTube, uBlock on my computer here. I might have one or two more extensions on my home computer.

From what I hear, it's supposed to be superior to Adblock, especially in terms of memory usage. I tried it once some time ago, but stuck with Adblock. I just can't remember why, so I guess I'm gonna give it another try.

cjp

Have you tried Minimal Status Bar over Ultimate Status Bar? Not sure it works any better with zooming though.

Fuchsdh

From what I hear, it's supposed to be superior to Adblock, especially in terms of memory usage. I tried it once some time ago, but stuck with Adblock. I just can't remember why, so I guess I'm gonna give it another try.

I'm not running a rig that probably needs the performance, but I like that it isn't just about ads but also tracking data and such.

Haven't really A/B tested Adblock and uBlock on the same problematic sites to see if there's much of a difference.

Fuchsdh

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm frequently using dark wallpapers. As Safari windows are borderless, it's hard to make out the end of the window when it's showing something dark as well. That's especially annoying when I want to resize it but can't find the window corner. For instance, that's what the bottom part of Safari looks like when the PSN store is loading:

http://abload.de/img/bildschirmfoto2015-054tog2.png

No problem at all when the status bar is visible, of course.

Too small? A bit. But why do you want it to scale with the site? Don't see the point. They should just increase its height by ~25%.
Taking up space? Yes, approximately 17px out of my 1030 (= 1050 - menu bar). I'll manage.

Apart from that, I can use the status bar to move the window. Yes, I do that.
Everyone's got their reasons. But you have to admit, your reason is unorthodox as you're mainly using it for something other than what it is meant for. I'm not saying it should be removed 100%. But that when it's off, Safari should still show the URL on mouse over somewhere and somehow.

Just installed it. Seems to work well. I do wish it had a scale option since it's the same size (Right now) as the normal status bar which is tiny. But it's readable. Hopefully it's better. Thing is Ultimate has a lot of options for size and theme. But really all I want is to see the URL. So if it only had a size option it'd be perfect. But it works so far. The only problem I notice is it doesn't move out of the way when a URL is at the bottom of the page like others. But unlike the others, it also seems to remain unclickable anyway so the link is still clickable. So that's good.

Apple plans to refresh iOS 9, OS X 10.11 using new Apple Watch font

http://9to5mac.com/2015/05/20/apple-plans-to-refresh-ios-9-os-x-10-11-using-new-apple-watch-font/

Mockups:
Looks nice. Guess we'll find out. I was wondering if they'd be switching to it when I saw the UI on the watch. We all know how they like unification.

Ambitious

Everyone's got their reasons. But you have to admit, your reason is unorthodox as you're mainly using it for something other than what it is meant for. I'm not saying it should be removed 100%. But that when it's off, Safari should still show the URL on mouse over somewhere and somehow.

It should be an additional option. On, Off, Show on Mouseover.

This is one of the big problems with Apple, "there should be one way to do things". Who cares why someone wants what they want, give them the option. As more and more people buy apple products or use them they are going to find out that customization is very very important to people.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
As discussed above:

right now I'm really tempted to get the new macbook in space grey, but I can sense the buyers remorse of not purchasing the Macbook Pro Retina 13inch. : / What does gaf think of the new Macbook?

SuperSah

Banned
As discussed above:

right now I'm really tempted to get the new macbook in space grey, but I can sense the buyers remorse of not purchasing the Macbook Pro Retina 13inch. : / What does gaf think of the new Macbook?

Personally, it's a little bit of a waste.

You can buy a better laptop with ports if you need them for a cheaper price, the 13" rMBP.

Of course, some people are being swayed by the thinness of this thing, so it depends on what you prefer.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Personally, it's a little bit of a waste.

You can buy a better laptop with ports if you need them for a cheaper price, the 13" rMBP.

Of course, some people are being swayed by the thinness of this thing, so it depends on what you prefer.

That's true. I'm not sure to be honest. In terms of value: the rMBP 13 is clearly better. As you said, the weight and thinness is quite attractive. However in terms of ports: I generally use it to backup my iPhone, flash drives, time machine backups, and occasional HDMI output.

Ke0

I finally got to use a NMB at Starbucks today...yea...pass. The guy was using PS (as was I on the MBP) and decided to see how it would do with my file.

Oh god.
OH FUCKING GOD

Top Bottom