• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Caronte

I have an app from the Mac App Store that if I go to its page in the store y says "Update", instead of "Open" like the rest. This is a clean install (I deleted it and downloaded it again) so there's nothing to update. If I click on the Update button it just loads infinitely without doing anything.

Any way to fix that?

deim0s

Caronte

It didn't work. I deleted the app > did that > reboot > downloaded the app again. Same thing.

I think I'll just restore my mac to its factory settings. I don't have a lot of things in it yet anyway (I got it recently).

Caronte

What app is it btw? If it's a non-essential app just leave it, it might resolve by itself.

Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition. The thing is the app works well, I have no problems with it other than that. But... I don't know. My OCD forces me to fix it.

I think the problem might have been that I first installed the game from a different source before I bought it on the App Store (I downloaded my friend's copy, he bought it on the official website). I think there may be some files from the old version somewhere I can't find (and I've looked) that are confusing the Store somehow. Because I bought both Baldur's Gate games as well and they don't have that problem.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Addresses an issue that could cause Macs bound to an Active Directory server to become unresponsive at startup
R00n0Zt.jpg

took forever to find a solution for that shit, (clear bootcache). glad apple finally decided to fix it though.

So what do you guys think will improve about the redesigned 15" MBP's screen when it launches? Simply wider color gamut? 4K? 10-bit panels? 120Hz? HDR?

10-bit displays for high-end TVs are pretty much standard this year, and there are lots of arguments for including them in "Professional" machines. The PPI is still not at the point of diminishing returns yet on the rMBPs, and they could easily pull an iPhone 6 Plus and do a 4K screen with 3x graphics (downscaled), or a perfectly 3x resolution of 4.3K, but that would be awkward. We all know 60Hz kind of sucks, and is bare minimum, but there isn't precedent for 120Hz Apple devices yet, and frankly, I think the iPhone would benefit more first. HDR is undefined at this point, so I doubt we'd see that.

Fuchsdh

So what do you guys think will improve about the redesigned 15" MBP's screen when it launches? Simply wider color gamut? 4K? 10-bit panels? 120Hz? HDR?

10-bit displays for high-end TVs are pretty much standard this year, and there are lots of arguments for including them in "Professional" machines. The PPI is still not at the point of diminishing returns yet on the rMBPs, and they could easily pull an iPhone 6 Plus and do a 4K screen with 3x graphics (downscaled), or a perfectly 3x resolution of 4.3K, but that would be awkward. We all know 60Hz kind of sucks, and is bare minimum, but there isn't precedent for 120Hz Apple devices yet, and frankly, I think the iPhone would benefit more first. HDR is undefined at this point, so I doubt we'd see that.

To me the retina stuff seems like a really bad idea considering the push towards integrated graphics. OS X has needed 30/10 bit color support for a while now, it'd be nice for them to actually do it.

In fairness, integrated graphics are steadily improving and will only continue to get better. Having said that, integrated graphics for 4K is kind of meh for now.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Hey guys!

So I'm trying to clear up some space on my hard drive, and so I've launched Disk Diag and found out "Caches" has a file size of 57gb. And so, I was wondering if it safe to clear out the Cache folder? It's located in "~/Library/Caches". Please let me know!

In fairness, integrated graphics are steadily improving and will only continue to get better. Having said that, integrated graphics for 4K is kind of meh for now.

Skylake is going to be another huge GPU performance bump, though, and the L4 memory cache is going to be on a lot more processors than in Skylake. Add in DDR4, for the bit that it will be worth for integrated GPU performance, and I think they could do it.

On a related note, what do you guys think the GPU refresh in the 15" MBPs this week means for dedicated GPUs in rMBPs? Could these be the last MacBooks with dedicated GPUs, or does the presence mean they're not going to cut them because the performance regression would be even greater?

Skylake is going to be another huge GPU performance bump, though, and the L4 memory cache is going to be on a lot more processors than in Skylake. Add in DDR4, for the bit that it will be worth for integrated GPU performance, and I think they could do it.

On a related note, what do you guys think the GPU refresh in the 15" MBPs this week means for dedicated GPUs in rMBPs? Could these be the last MacBooks with dedicated GPUs, or does the presence mean they're not going to cut them because the performance regression would be even greater?

Without a discrete GPU, it's not a pro notebook. Iris Pro isn't that amazing... yet.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hey guys!

So I'm trying to clear up some space on my hard drive, and so I've launched Disk Diag and found out "Caches" has a file size of 57gb. And so, I was wondering if it safe to clear out the Cache folder? It's located in "~/Library/Caches". Please let me know!
Yes. All stuff in all the Caches folders is temporary. They're a remnant of the HDD days to speed up disk access, but with SSD it makes no difference. You can delete it and it'll be recreated as needed. I'd say empty it out. It probably won't take up that much space that soon again. Question: What apps have what size caches? Go into the folder and look at it in list view and calculate the sizes of the different folders. I'd be curious to see if one single app has a huge cache. Sort it by size descending and look at the top few.

Do not be afraid to delete it afterwards. It'll be recreated. Nothing in there is important. All of it will be copies of data that is elsewhere in one form or another. However, you might notice slight slowdown for certain apps at first while they recreate their cache. And you can't stop it happening. It'll happen no matter what. (Once I tried to set up a script to create a RAM disk to store my caches on that would delete itself at reboot but putting the computer to sleep made it unmount and fucked things up. Plus I couldn't get it to mount early enough so I gave up. It was just an experiment. I think once I even tried setting the Caches folder as a symlink to /dev/null/ to make it create the files into nothingness. But I gave that up too. Probably not recommended. Eventually I gave up my futile war against caches.)

There are other folders as well that can be deleted and will be recreate but they just end up ballooning up again anyway.

Note: When you delete it, do it in this order. Select all the files in the Caches folder and send them to the trash. Then reboot. Don't try to empty the trash until you reboot. This will let the system and apps release the files they might be currently accessing. Just send it to trash then reboot. Empty when you log back in. Bam, your space will be back. And keep an eye on whatever app you discover is currently causing the space to be eaten up.

Guys, I ended up dropping my late 2013 15" Macbook Pro Retina and cracked the screen. It is in usable condition but the black crack is visible through the screen when being used.

I know it costs a ton trying to get it repaired through Apple. Any other legit options? I do want to retain that high resolution and if there are no alternatives, I will probably end up going through Apple or just getting a new one.

Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?
In the future, always buy AppleCare, especially for portable devices. :p

For your current situation, see if there are any local repair shops which can give you the same display for cheaper. If not, I guess you'll need to weigh the benefits of repairing your current machine versus putting that money towards a new box.

/comfort

kennah

Friend of mine gave me his 2011 15" MacBook Pro with a 'fried logic board'. Says he took it into the Apple Store and they told him that it would be $1500 and up to replace, so he just went ahead and bought a new Retina one (which, he is happy with)

However, I've been doing some testing and it boots 'fine' if you disable the GPU, which (with other symptoms that I've been researching) leads me to believe that it should have been included in the recall and that they talked him out of the free repair.

Any advice on how to talk to the Apple Store about this? He's a bit annoyed with them, and is willing to take it in again.

Fuchsdh

Friend of mine gave me his 2011 15" MacBook Pro with a 'fried logic board'. Says he took it into the Apple Store and they told him that it would be $1500 and up to replace, so he just went ahead and bought a new Retina one (which, he is happy with)

However, I've been doing some testing and it boots 'fine' if you disable the GPU, which (with other symptoms that I've been researching) leads me to believe that it should have been included in the recall and that they talked him out of the free repair.

Any advice on how to talk to the Apple Store about this? He's a bit annoyed with them, and is willing to take it in again.

Early and Late 2011 15" Macbook Pros are covered on under the repair extension program—according to this: https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Bring your MacBook Pro to a participating provider - Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.
A technician will run a diagnostic test on the MacBook Pro to verify eligibility.
Repair turn around time will vary based upon parts and technician availability.
You will be notified when your MacBook Pro is ready for pickup.

He should be able to probably explain how he's certain it's the GPU that's at issue.

mrkgoo

To be covered under the official replacement program, it has to fail a particular diagnostic test in Apple's Service Tools. Even if the serial number matches the covered range, it's possible the GPU has an issue that isn't related to that specific issue in the recall. Also, the replacement program has limitations. For example, if liquid damage is apparent to the logic board, it would probably fall outside of the program as well.

There are certainly macs that fall within the range of serials but don't fail that particular test.

Did they actually run the test the first time he was there? Also note it's possible the issue was intermittent back when he went so it passed then but the issue has worsened now and it can fail it now. Also note, the test did not exist prior to the start of the replace the program.

You can whine about how apple takes so long to put these programs in place, but they do absolutely need to capture probably thousands of bad machines before they can identify a serial number range affected and also put it all the tools required to identify the specific fault.

kennah

It was after the program started, but they say it gives a 'controller card' failure. Guess I'll keep playing around with it.

Long story short, I formatted my late 2013 iMac yesterday. But now when I boot it up I just get the internet recovery screen (I guess it can't find the startup disk). Problem is that my Linksys WRT54GS router doesn't show up in the wifi networks in the drop down list. I use WEP protection.

How can I get the Mac to find my router? Or Is there anyway for me to download a Yosemite USB recovery disk (can't make one, don't have access to another Mac)? I absolutely do not want to drag this to the Mac store.

mrkgoo

Long story short, I formatted my late 2013 iMac yesterday. But now when I boot it up I just get the internet recovery screen (I guess it can't find the startup disk). Problem is that my Linksys WRT54GS router doesn't show up in the wifi networks in the drop down list. I use WEP protection.

How can I get the Mac to find my router? Or Is there anyway for me to download a Yosemite USB recovery disk (can't make one, don't have access to another Mac)? I absolutely do not want to drag this to the Mac store.

Ethernet cable, or doesn't it otherwise give you option to select "other" and manually enter SSID?

And yes, if you formatted the disk, of course it can't find the startup disk - there isn't one.

Ethernet cable, or doesn't it otherwise give you option to select "other" and manually enter SSID?

And yes, if you formatted the disk, of course it can't find the startup disk - there isn't one.

No ethernet port. What do I enter as my SSID? would it be my username and password that I use to login to my router configuration?

Fuchsdh

No ethernet port. What do I enter as my SSID? would it be my username and password that I use to login to my router configuration?

You SSID is whatever you tell your router to identify itself as.

Your admin credentials to access your router are different than the SSID and password to access the internet through it.

By the way, you really shouldn't use WEP. Go WPA2 or stronger for your security.

jiiikoo

Banned
Alright, I'm going to ask this here too:

Anyone else having the same problem I am having?

Every now and again my Macbook Pro (late 2014 retina) has a problem where the trackpad and keyboard stop working. It's strange because I am able to press the power button to force the Macbook to shutdown but all of the other keys and the trackpad are completely dead. After the restart everything works just fine. I've tried resetting PRAM but not sure if it has any effect. The problem comes and goes and it happens maybe like once every month.

mrkgoo

Huh. Didn't it used to? =/
Don't see why it would. It's extended warranty, not insurance.
Alright, I'm going to ask this here too:

Anyone else having the same problem I am having?

Every now and again my Macbook Pro (late 2014 retina) has a problem where the trackpad and keyboard stop working. It's strange because I am able to press the power button to force the Macbook to shutdown but all of the other keys and the trackpad are completely dead. After the restart everything works just fine. I've tried resetting PRAM but not sure if it has any effect. The problem comes and goes and it happens maybe like once every month.

Haven't ever heard of that. Are you running any weird extensions or third party software?

Ever get liquid damage?

jiiikoo

Banned
Haven't ever heard of that. Are you running any weird extensions or third party software?

Ever get liquid damage?

I don't think any of the extensions or programs are that weird. Chrome, VLC, QuickRes, 1Password, those are the programs that were running the last time it happened. And no liquid or damage of any kind. Happens on my girlfriends Macbook too, but not as frequent as on mine. All I can think is causing it is Chrome because I think Chrome is the only thing that is common on our machines and I think everytime I've experienced it Chrome was running.

Huh. Didn't it used to? =/

I don't think so...

Applecare+ covers accidental damage, but that's for phones only, and it's just a discount on the repair (usually first two accidents are around ~$80 CDN, dunno what the american equivalent price is, also could depend on the phone model) The macbook Applecare is basically just a warranty extension so if something dies (battery, screen, SSD, so on) you get a free fix or replacement. But they won't cover you dropping it.

mrkgoo

I don't think any of the extensions or programs are that weird. Chrome, VLC, QuickRes, 1Password, those are the programs that were running the last time it happened. And no liquid or damage of any kind. Happens on my girlfriends Macbook too, but not as frequent as on mine. All I can think is causing it is Chrome because I think Chrome is the only thing that is common on our machines and I think everytime I've experienced it Chrome was running.

Could well be.

SaintR

Hey guys need advice. My 2010 MacBook Pro is jam packed, mostly iPhoto and iTunes taking up the space. I have a 2TB USB external HD that I moved all that to to create space.

My question is can I make this external drive a networked drive to always have iPhoto and iTunes run out of? Maybe something like buying an AirPort Extreme or even Time Capsule and connecting my external HD to it? I just don't want to have to connect my USB each time I want to use these programs.

Thanks

Fuchsdh

Hey guys need advice. My 2010 MacBook Pro is jam packed, mostly iPhoto and iTunes taking up the space. I have a 2TB USB external HD that I moved all that to to create space.

My question is can I make this external drive a networked drive to always have iPhoto and iTunes run out of? Maybe something like buying an AirPort Extreme or even Time Capsule and connecting my external HD to it? I just don't want to have to connect my USB each time I want to use these programs.

Thanks

If it's just a standard USB drive, you can attach it to your router, assuming it's got the ports and capability.

SaintR

If it's just a standard USB drive, you can attach it to your router, assuming it's got the ports and capability.

My current router (a vizio router) doesn't have this function for the Mac. That's why I was thinking I'd get possibly the AirPort Extreme or even Time Capsule.

I said this before a while back but unsure of what to do. I want to get another Mac mini to replace my old one (got it back in 2011) but am wondering what the future of it is. Is it possible they'd go to Skylake in 2015? I'm almost afraid they'll gimp it to just a Core M not even the U-line that is in the 13" rMBP and they will never again have quad-core either.

I have debated on message boards and people say well Apple wants people to buy an iMac but I don't like the iMac. I don't know why. Perhaps that will change with Skylake but I always hear of yellowing with the screens. I would rather have a separate monitor.

Fuchsdh

I said this before a while back but unsure of what to do. I want to get another Mac mini to replace my old one (got it back in 2011) but am wondering what the future of it is. Is it possible they'd go to Skylake in 2015? I'm almost afraid they'll gimp it to just a Core M not even the U-line that is in the 13" rMBP and they will never again have quad-core either.

I have debated on message boards and people say well Apple wants people to buy an iMac but I don't like the iMac. I don't know why. Perhaps that will change with Skylake but I always hear of yellowing with the screens. I would rather have a separate monitor.

No way of knowing. Right now it's still following the trend of being the MBP 13" in desktop form. Will that change with Skylake? Only Apple knows...

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Hey guys,

So I just did a fresh install of Yosemite, and I'm trying to restore my old email through Mail App. I just made a time machine back up of my mail before I did a fresh install. Right now I'm trying to copy the "Mail Folder" from "~/Users/Library/Mail" and it isn't working when I start up mail. I need help and asap! What am I doing wrong?

My current router (a vizio router) doesn't have this function for the Mac. That's why I was thinking I'd get possibly the AirPort Extreme or even Time Capsule.
The Extreme will do what you want. Time Capsule may, but I'm not sure if you can use the drive as a general purpose disk or not. I was thinking maybe you could get by with an Express, but it only does printer sharing, unfortunately.

AirDisk does work pretty well on the Extreme though. You can even allow access via the Internet, if you want.

Wait until WWDC at least. The AirPorts were last updated around this time a few years ago.

The one thing to consider is that the AirPort Extreme is limited to USB 2.0, which makes it unusable for large video files, etc. The Time Capsule, on the other hand, uses standard SATA, and you can actually mod it if you wanted to to put in an SSD.

SaintR

Wait until WWDC at least. The AirPorts were last updated around this time a few years ago.

The one thing to consider is that the AirPort Extreme is limited to USB 2.0, which makes it unusable for large video files, etc. The Time Capsule, on the other hand, uses standard SATA, and you can actually mod it if you wanted to to put in an SSD.

That's a good point on waiting on WWDC, I might just do that. Right now I'm circling around a Netgear R7000 router, it has USB 3.0, Time Machine and iTunes server capabilities when connected with an external HD. Might be just what I'm looking for in terms of storing my photo and music library on the home network. But I'll hold off on buying one till WWDC.

Deku Tree

Does Photo's import your videos from your iOS devices when you plug it into your computer? iPhoto used to do that? I doesn't "just happen" at least... I would like a way to archive my videos on my computer. Any ideas? Thx

Ninja Dom

Yeah with iPhoto you could drag and drop your content from your iPhone into the relevant folders & albums in iPhoto.

In the new Photos app you have to select every photo & video you want to import from your iPhone and then press the Import button. From there you go to the Last Import folder and move your pics & videos to the album/folder of your choice.

thenexus6

I have a decision to make, wonder if people could give any advice.

I got a 13" retina macbook in January and I love it, however I feel like its being wasted by my usage. I browse, email, music to music and watch video. Nothing taxing at all, and it never leaves the house. Originally I wanted to get a mac mini but got a good deal on the macbook and went with that.

I've recently considered picking up an alienware alpha to get into PC gaming and I also found a 2014 mini very cheaply. Now I know you can't update the ramm or anything in the mini but I am thinking about selling the macbook pro and getting both of these. The resale value of the pro would pretty much completely cover both.

What should I do? I have a chromebook for any portable or out of house browsing so I am covered there - I also don't like the idea of 2-3 years down the line the battery inside the macbook pro dying out or being unable to hold much charge.

Will I get by okay with 1.4Ghz, 4GB ram for my general use for the next 2-3 years?

Top Bottom