• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Caronte

I have a decision to make, wonder if people could give any advice.

I got a 13" retina macbook in January and I love it, however I feel like its being wasted by my usage. I browse, email, music to music and watch video. Nothing taxing at all, and it never leaves the house. Originally I wanted to get a mac mini but got a good deal on the macbook and went with that.

I've recently considered picking up an alienware alpha to get into PC gaming and I also found a 2014 mini very cheaply. Now I know you can't update the ramm or anything in the mini but I am thinking about selling the macbook pro and getting both of these. The resale value of the pro would pretty much completely cover both.

What should I do? I have a chromebook for any portable or out of house browsing so I am covered there - I also don't like the idea of 2-3 years down the line the battery inside the macbook pro dying out or being unable to hold much charge.

Will I get by okay with 1.4Ghz, 4GB ram for my general use for the next 2-3 years?

The Mac Mini is the standard model I assume? Personally I don't like the hard drive it comes with, it's slow.

To be honest, the only reason I would have both a gaming PC and a Mac mini is if I could use both at the same time (two monitors). Otherwise the Mac mini feels redundant to me. I'd sooner get a gaming PC + an iPad.

But it's just an opinion.

thenexus6

Yeah my computer before was a 2010 macbook pro and it had the standard 5400 hard drive. The mini is the same, it would be pretty hard going from this blazing fast SSD back to that standard drive.

I want some kind of mac a it's my preferred OS, I tried looking for 2012 minis as they are better to customise but can't find one for a decent price.

Deku Tree

Yeah with iPhoto you could drag and drop your content from your iPhone into the relevant folders & albums in iPhoto.

In the new Photos app you have to select every photo & video you want to import from your iPhone and then press the Import button. From there you go to the Last Import folder and move your pics & videos to the album/folder of your choice.

Nah I just pressed the import button and it imported all my new photos and videos in Photos. I didn't even try to organize them though...

Fuchsdh

Thunderbolt 3 adopting usb type c connector. #waitforskylake

Super-cool news. I guess that means it's less likely Apple will update the Mac Pro then, even though without TB3 there's a lot they could do to make it better. Skyline Xeons aren't coming for at least another year too if not 2017, so I hope they don't leave it languishing for four years.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Have any of you had any issues with external displays not showing in full resolution?

I picked up a Thunderbolt to DisplayPort cable for work to hook to this 1080p monitor, yet my 15" MBP insists on only showing it in 720p. Even using external programs to force a custom resolution just scales everything from 720p into this garbage.

giga

Just read the anandtech piece on tb3 and it sounds amazing. 20gbps thunderbolt will use the same cable as usb 3.1, display port, and charging. Cable ubiquity!

Only the 40gbps thunderbolt cables will be different because they require active connectors.

Ayumi

Is it possible for someone to give me an estimated worth of my Mabcook Pro Retina if I post my specs?

I bought it with hardware upgrgades (including a dedicated GPU) so it's really hard to compare with the other models sold online since most of them have the standard hardware.

I know the price will vary from USD to where I live, I just still want to know because I'm curious, and might be able to find a foreign buyer.

Stat!

So I think I'm going to purchase a new MacBook Pro Retina 13" today. Will be an upgrade from my 2010 15" MacBook Pro. I hope Im making the right choice. I'm no longer in school (so its just Skype, internet, movie watching) but I'm still unsure. Im curious how much I can get my old MacBook for. Even $400 for an upgraded at the time MacBook Pro would be nice.

Fuchsdh

Is it possible for someone to give me an estimated worth of my Mabcook Pro Retina if I post my specs?

I bought it with hardware upgrgades (including a dedicated GPU) so it's really hard to compare with the other models sold online since most of them have the standard hardware.

I know the price will vary from USD to where I live, I just still want to know because I'm curious, and might be able to find a foreign buyer.

So I think I'm going to purchase a new MacBook Pro Retina 13" today. Will be an upgrade from my 2010 15" MacBook Pro. I hope Im making the right choice. I'm no longer in school (so its just Skype, internet, movie watching) but I'm still unsure. Im curious how much I can get my old MacBook for. Even $400 for an upgraded at the time MacBook Pro would be nice.

I'd search for your generation of device and see what completed/sold listings for similar Macs went for.

If it's just Skype, internet and movie watching, have you thought about an Air?
The Pro is a nicer machine with it's retina screen, but the extra cost and performance wouldn't really be necessary for those uses.

That said, would make perfect sense if you want to have. the possibility of more intense use in the future.

thenexus6

I have a macbook pro with 128SSD. I have a nifty drive and 128GB extreme pro micro SD.

I wonder how easy it'll be to have windows 10 run completely off that sd card. I assume I would need to buy / setup Windows 8 on the card first then upgrade to 10 in July.

Would I need a Windows 8 pro disc or 8.1?

Sorry for stupid questions.

Got any specs? I'd be interested maybe...

tr4656

I have a macbook pro with 128SSD. I have a nifty drive and 128GB extreme pro micro SD.

I wonder how easy it'll be to have windows 10 run completely off that sd card. I assume I would need to buy / setup Windows 8 on the card first then upgrade to 10 in July.

8 or 8.1 would be fine but if you are buying now, its all 8.1

Not entirely sure whether it'll let you install to an SD card, and based on the read/write speeds I've had with microSD cards I really don't think that it would be viable. Way too slow.

Ke0

Not entirely sure whether it'll let you install to an SD card, and based on the read/write speeds I've had with microSD cards I really don't think that it would be viable. Way too slow.

A good quality microSD can get 95MB/s write/read speeds. Not that slow, faster than most HDDs.

Fuchsdh

A good quality microSD can get 95MB/s write/read speeds. Not that slow, faster than most HDDs.

Faster than any 7200RPM drive, not sure about a 10 or 15K enterprise drive. But yeah if you're willing to deal with those speeds I don't think there would be any problem installing to it.

Yikes, really?
I have what I thought was a pretty nice SD card in my 2011 MacBook Pro's SD card slot (Samsing Evo MicroSD 64GB) using an adapter so it sits flush.

I store my iTunes library on it, and iTunes becomes unresponsive for a good minute whenever I add media to the library. It works after a while, but yeah I assumed this would be due to a slow write speed.

Is the reader in 2011 Pros not very good? I get these speeds in Windows and OS X.
hZQhvGz.png

Could it be the microSD adapter I'm using?

mrkgoo

How to Auth tokens work, for example in Mail?

For example, I change my google account password, but without even having to change it in, say, Mail, to my new one, it continues to work.

Is this part of a system that has "higher" security? (i.e. don't allow access to less secure apps, requires some tokens or soemthing?).

Seems less secure - what if someone else has unauthorised access to gmail, and I change password, but they continue to get access?

RDreamer

I'm having quite a problem with iCalendar and I'm hoping you guys can help me so I don't lose everything. I went to copy an event and paste it to today, but somehow the copy didn't work and I ended up pasting what was probably an adobe illustrator file. Whoops. Well, instead of taking it like a champ and telling me I'm dumb, the program shit itself. Now every time I open it up there's a huge error message saying "The server responded with an error" and a bunch of gibberish (presumably the code of what I pasted). The problem is that there's no way to close this error box and delete the event. It just sits there, no matter how many times I quit or force quit.

EDIT: Agh, nevermind, I figured it out. I just hammered on the enter button until it went away.

Ambitious

I'm having quite a problem with iCalendar and I'm hoping you guys can help me so I don't lose everything. I went to copy an event and paste it to today, but somehow the copy didn't work and I ended up pasting what was probably an adobe illustrator file. Whoops. Well, instead of taking it like a champ and telling me I'm dumb, the program shit itself. Now every time I open it up there's a huge error message saying "The server responded with an error" and a bunch of gibberish (presumably the code of what I pasted). The problem is that there's no way to close this error box and delete the event. It just sits there, no matter how many times I quit or force quit.

What calendar service do you use (iCloud, Google, ...)? Have you tried logging into the web interface and deleting it from there?

SuperSah

Banned
Does anyone know of any good thin Macbook Pro cases which can house a 13inch Retina in a satchel?

I saw the Acme Made ones but reviews keep saying the 13inch Retina ones are too big and you should instead buy a 13inch Air one. Any thoughts??

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!

Vashetti

Banned
So I was dead set on buying a new Macbook Pro 13 Retina but now I hear that all Macbook models with the retina display suffer from UI lag issues.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...l-iris-6100-is-so-choppy-in-yosemite.1857649/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7QwPi0slVc

Oh, great :-\ Thinking of going with a Macbook Air now for the superior battery life, less heat generation, and guaranteed silky smooth experience. Only con is the display but I'll gladly trade that for a stutter free UI.

2015 13" Retina MBP owner here.

No lag whatsoever.

Ambitious

So I was dead set on buying a new Macbook Pro 13 Retina but now I hear that all Macbook models with the retina display suffer from UI lag issues.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...l-iris-6100-is-so-choppy-in-yosemite.1857649/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7QwPi0slVc

Oh, great :-\ Thinking of going with a Macbook Air now for the superior battery life, less heat generation, and guaranteed silky smooth experience. Only con is the display but I'll gladly trade that for a stutter free UI.

No lag whatsoever.

2012 15" Retina MBP, scaled resolution. I can't remember the last time I saw a smooth animation.

When my second monitor is connected and several apps are running, sometimes Mission Control runs in single digit FPS. It's ridiculous.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!

No lag whatsoever.

Yeah, no lag or anything at all for me.

Also have the 2015 Pro.

2012 15" Retina MBP, scaled resolution. I can't remember the last time I saw a smooth animation.

When my second monitor is connected and several apps are running, sometimes Mission Control runs in single digit FPS. It's ridiculous.

Hmm, it seems some people notice it and some don't. Definitely widespread issue though, I see it mentioned on numerous sites online.

I think I'll wait and see how Apple optimizes the next version of OSX before I decide. Hopefully that'll help.

Ke0

I think most people are so used to it or have never seen what smooth UI should be like that they don't realize the UI lags.

Nosgoroth

Late 2014 rMBP 13, maxed out CPU. UI could be better, but it's mostly (mostly) lag-free unless I connect a second monitor. If I do, then the thing becomes a lawless zone where frames are kidnapped more often than not.

Disclaimer: I just remembered I'm actually switching to/from a space that has Parallels running Unity and VS2012. That could be a factor.

Anyone have any advice for me? My 2007 Macbook running 10.7 Lion won't boot:

-If I just try to boot it, it chimes, spin for a sec, then powers down.

-If I boot to Safe Mode (shift), it hangs on the spinning spinner thing. I even let it spin overnight. Nothing.

-I CAN boot to recovery mode and run Disk Utility. Verifying my HD tells me that nothing is wrong, and if I run repair, it blows through it in seconds and tells me everything is fine. But when I try to reboot, nothing is different.

-I've tried resetting the PRAM.

When I bought Lion in 2011, it was via the app store, so i don't have an install disk. Also, I don't have a great backup, so I'd prefer not to erase the whole disk, but if it comes down to this, I guess I will.

Oh, and one more potential clue: the trackpad started acting erratically last week. Like, touching the button at all counted as it being pressed. Dunno, probably not related.

Oh, here's where it hangs in verbose mode:

Magypsy

When I have my external monitor connected to my brand spanking new rMBP 13" it sometimes drops some frames during animations. Doesn't bother me, and I expect Apple to have fixed it in 10.11.

I'd rather have those animations be turned off to be honest.

SuperSah

Banned
You know, I just wanted to express good the typing experience on a Macbook Pro is.

They keyboard on this thing is terrific and it feels real smooth. I just noticed how smooth it feels to type on this thing and the palm rests and keyboard light really help to contribute to such a smooth typing experience.

Sorry GAF, random thought but man is it smooth as butter on this keyboard.

Alchemy

Welp, bought myself the new 15 inch MBPr with a discrete GPU and upped the CPU to 2.8GHZ because fuck money. Upgrading from an 11 inch MBA from 2012 because I need the screen space for working, and holy crap is that screen amazing. Only problem is apparently its going to take 12 hours to migrate all my stuff over... eek.

tr4656

El Capitan looks promising. Excited about the multitasking stuff and probably bug fixes. Safari AirPlay to Apple TV for any HTML5 video looks promising as well.

I'm really hoping that El Capitan's Metal stretches back and supports older Intel HD graphics. The Intel HD3000 on my MacBook Pro struggles with just the desktop when connected to an external monitor.

Cross posting this from the WWDC thread, as there was some discussion here on Safari status bar and extensions.

Status bar in El Cap Safari only appears when you hover over a link:

18638391112_8fcb572d79_c.jpg

Top Bottom