• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

thaOwner

If you can then you probably want to back up your current install before upgrading. For safety. But also just in case you want to downgrade your OS later on.

I dont have anything of importance on here and I am planning to get an SSD drive somewhere along the lines for it.

I was thinking about using the El Capitan beta just for split panel Finder. My trial version of Pathfinder is about to expire. Not sure if its worth possibly breaking other applications just for this.

Meh3D

Anyone having iTunes delete their non-iTunes store music again? This shit is annoying. I honestly think this is done on purpose to make you buy music from iTunes for old albums you forget you own on disc or songs from another store no longer in existence.

My 85W Magsafe just died on me. It had been fraying for the last four months, and I think today it just snapped.

Does anyone have experience with these replacement cables? Or any protective covers to prevent fraying? Or a good 3rd party alternative? I'm not too pleased with the notion of paying $75 to replace the charger for a four year old laptop.

My 85W Magsafe just died on me. It had been fraying for the last four months, and I think today it just snapped.

Does anyone have experience with these replacement cables? Or any protective covers to prevent fraying? Or a good 3rd party alternative? I'm not too pleased with the notion of paying $75 to replace the charger for a four year old laptop.

If you're under Apple Care, your MagSafe can be replaced for $0.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
I just got back my Macbook Pro Retina from the Apple store. They sent the macbook pro to an off-site inspection center, and replaced the logic board, battery, thermal paste, and lower casing. And just last night, I experienced another "completely frozen force restart
where my mac would not respond. This is the third time I sent in my macbook pro for repair, and after the 2nd attempt with replacing the logic board the same fucking issue continues to occur. What the fuck am I going to do - honestly.

kennah

I just got back my Macbook Pro Retina from the Apple store. They sent the macbook pro to an off-site inspection center, and replaced the logic board, battery, thermal paste, and lower casing. And just last night, I experienced another "completely frozen force restart
where my mac would not respond. This is the third time I sent in my macbook pro for repair, and after the 2nd attempt with replacing the logic board the same fucking issue continues to occur. What the fuck am I going to do - honestly.

Take it back again and request a brand new computer.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
You paid for the repair? Congrats, your computer is under warranty again.

Nope. I didn't have to pay the 1st time cause it was a quality program (due to lawsuit that Apple lost); the 2nd time I didn't have to pay because the computer was still experiencing the same issues in less than 2 weeks after I got it back. In short, I didn't have to pay a penny for the repairs. Does it still qualify? lol

kennah

Nope. I didn't have to pay the 1st time cause it was a quality program (due to lawsuit that Apple lost); the 2nd time I didn't have to pay because the computer was still experiencing the same issues in less than 2 weeks after I got it back. In short, I didn't have to pay a penny for the repairs. Does it still qualify? lol
Still counts. Take it back. Be nice but firm.

Totally, take it back. I haven't paid for a repair on my iPhone 5 ever, but each time the receipt says that I have a 90 day warranty on the repair job.

In my experience, they go first visit - fix, second visit - fix, third visit - replace the whole damn thing.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Totally, take it back. I haven't paid for a repair on my iPhone 5 ever, but each time the receipt says that I have a 90 day warranty on the repair job.

In my experience, they go first visit - fix, second visit - fix, third visit - replace the whole damn thing.

I hope they can! Fingers crossed. Its a 2012 model xD

lustrate

i currently own an early 2013 mbpr with a battery that's at 90% of its design capacity at 250 cycles. what are my chances that apple replaces my battery under applecare? originally i thought slim to none, but i contacted apple via the online support and they said it'd be covered. i just want a second opinion before i make the long drive to the apple store.

apple rep:

AUkLASKl.png

vpq6uT0l.png

i currently own an early 2013 mbpr with a battery that's at 90% of its design capacity at 250 cycles. what are my chances that apple replaces my battery under applecare? originally i thought slim to none, but i contacted apple via the online support and they said it'd be covered. i just want a second opinion before i make the long drive to the apple store.

apple rep:

AUkLASKl.png

vpq6uT0l.png

AppleCare now covers two things when it comes to batteries. One, they cover "defective" batteries which is something like a battery losing 10% of its capacity in like 25 charge cycles for example. They also started covering any battery that has less than 80% capacity left while still within any AppleCare coverage period. Your battery seems like it's in some sort of gray area. Doesn't meet the 80% rule, and depending on the Genius that you talk to it may or may not meet the defective battery rule. Maybe try calling whatever the closest Apple Store is to you and explain your situation and what the online rep told you?

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/06/29/applecare-mac-batteries-80-percent/

lustrate

AppleCare now covers two things when it comes to batteries. One, they cover "defective" batteries which is something like a battery losing 10% of its capacity in like 25 charge cycles for example. They also started covering any battery that has less than 80% capacity left while still within any AppleCare coverage period. Your battery seems like it's in some sort of gray area. Doesn't meet the 80% rule, and depending on the Genius that you talk to it may or may not meet the defective battery rule. Maybe try calling whatever the closest Apple Store is to you and explain your situation and what the online rep told you?

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/06/29/applecare-mac-batteries-80-percent/

thank you. i'll give them a call when they open. i also plan on bringing the screenshots of my conversation with. i really just want my macbook to last 6+ hours again and i'll be happy.

mrkgoo

thank you. i'll give them a call when they open. i also plan on bringing the screenshots of my conversation with. i really just want my macbook to last 6+ hours again and i'll be happy.
Something about questions and wording - technically, yes your battery is covered by AppleCare, but whether you'll get a replacement of your battery under AppleCare is something else.

Customers often hear what they want to hear without considering what is actually being said. Sure it can be clearer in both sides but sometimes you have to be more explicit.

In this case the representative might be answering in an OVERALL way, stating that batteries are covered under AppleCare and perhaps not specifically saying whether your issue is something that is covered.

mrkgoo

Usually repairs have a 90 day warranty on parts.

Imagine say you have a minor problem with a minor part of the logic board and get it replaced them find out the replacement has a major problem. That wouldn't be fair.

Mindwipe

Does anyone have a good recommendation on iPad glass replacement in London, using OEM quality parts?

Apple's charge for replacing an iPad Air screen is ludicrous (as in I can buy an entirely new iPad from Amazon for the same amount).

Swag

Is it just me, or is the process of uploading Photos through the Photos app to iCloud complete ass? Mine has been stuck here for a few hours now

WsIxFnP.png

Rootbeer

Banned
Having a situation on my Mac after installing Office 2016.

Previously, I had Office 2011. I uninstalled it, replaced with 2016. I'm on OSX 10.10.4

Now I notice a lot of websites look different, the fonts are changed. I know Office adds its own fonts, but I didn't know it had any kind of impact on the fonts websites choose to display. I looked in my browser settings and it just says "Times" and "courier" as the default/fallbacks which seems normal, but the websites DEFINITELY look different.

Anyone know anything about this?

Having a situation on my Mac after installing Office 2016.

Previously, I had Office 2011. I uninstalled it, replaced with 2016. I'm on OSX 10.10.4

Now I notice a lot of websites look different, the fonts are changed. I know Office adds its own fonts, but I didn't know it had any kind of impact on the fonts websites choose to display. I looked in my browser settings and it just says "Times" and "courier" as the default/fallbacks which seems normal, but the websites DEFINITELY look different.

Anyone know anything about this?

I had a very similar issue. Does everything look like it's in a condensed font, like super thin? I found it unreadable on my non-retina screen.

61ZZ1y9.png

Ended up fixing it by adding Open Sans to Font Book. With some help from my webdev brother, found that for whatever reason all my browsers were defaulting to Open Sans Condensed in place of regular old Open Sans, so installing the original font again seemed to fix it.

Rootbeer

Banned
Hmm, it does feel more condensed. Not on every page just certain pages based on the fonts they are trying to use I guess.

But I don't have Open Sans or any of its variants on my mac, i checked all through fontbook and didn't see it.

Fuchsdh

No idea what could be the issue. I do remember having Office font corruption issues so bad that I had to nuke my computer, though...

Rootbeer

Banned
No idea what could be the issue. I do remember having Office font corruption issues so bad that I had to nuke my computer, though...

Great... well I tried clearing all of my font caches and reboot, no change. I can live with it for now. Guess I'm going to do a clean install with El Capitan releases.

Fuchsdh

Great... well I tried clearing all of my font caches and reboot, no change. I can live with it for now. Guess I'm going to do a clean install with El Capitan releases.

I'm still debating whether I will... probably I'll wait until 10.12, I usually clean install every other OS at this point.

Hmm, it does feel more condensed. Not on every page just certain pages based on the fonts they are trying to use I guess.

But I don't have Open Sans or any of its variants on my mac, i checked all through fontbook and didn't see it.

Hmm... I don't think I had Open Sans on my machine either, it just seemed to be one of the fonts that came up in the website fonts lists wherever I ran into the problem.

I'm not 100% sure if it was the original font I had to start with, but it was a heck of a lot better than the unreadable condensed font I was finding on a bunch of sites.

Hey OSXGaf,

My mid 2012 Macbook has been suffering from immense slowdown, freezing and crashing as of late! It's worrisome as this is my main workload computer and I need it for my mixing and video production (Pro Tools, Logic, Final Cut).

Im going to bold the important sentences since I want to go into detail.

It's gotten so I bad, Im continuously writing this post on both my Mac and an Ipad because there will be moments when my Mac just completely becomes unresponsive to keystrokes and hangs up while it takes its time to register. Lately the mouse completely becomes unresponsive. Sometimes keyboard shortcut force quit works, sometimes OSX itself is just crashing.... Ive soft rebooted with the power button at least 4 times in the past week, Thats not a good sign to me..... And I just can't think what the hell the issue is... I've backed up my data since about a week ago since I had a hunch but Im honestly thinking about a full wipe and restart. I have a Bootcamp drive that is a 200 GB partition on a 750 drive. I think this is obviously a factor in my issues.

Could it be Chrome? Has anyone had any issues with Chrome on Apple hardware? My Mac has been pretty loaded up with software from before which I need to strip down but I can't recall having these issues until Chrome came along. However, Chrome worked beautifully for me since like the beginning of this year. Now when Im using Chrome, any random click can grind my computer to a halt. Non working mouse, and a truly random loadtime to recover itself, Guaranteed pinwheel.

I truly started to notice this severe slowdown after I installed Bluestacks. Deleted that and still suffering from sudden crashes and hiccups. Its like the problem migrated to Chrome. So I deleted my cache from the beginning and I emptied my trash of about 500+ items including a couple folders of videos. I feel like its helped a little but the problem isnt fully solved.

So I moseyd over to Activity Monitor and with only 3 programs open (Activity, Chrome, Finder) , Its saying Im using 7.98 GB of my 8GB RAM!?? Should my computer be using that much ram for pretty much nothing running in the background? Im totally confused, Is this just a memory issue and its time for 16GB?

This is increasingly annoying as Im trying to start Lionbridge pretty soon. but yeah Im about ready to do a full wipe and refresh..... Any help GAF would be super appreciated.

I was actually able to get this typed up and posted on my Mac after about 25 mins of wasted time and 7 pinwheels in Chrome.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
First thing that comes to mind (Well second because the first is that Chrome is horrible on OS X and has been for a while) is HDD dying. Constant pinwheels usually means dying HDD. Do you have a HDD? (Sounds like you do) If not then it's another problem. But dying HDDs can usually be predicted when pinwheels are always showing up. I hope you have a backup either way.

Try Disk Utility and see if there's errors or problems. See if it says anything about SMART. (Though that's never right anyway) But make sure you're backed up. And once you are (I assume you are if you're talking about reformatting) then try the reformat and migrate and see if it does anything. If the drive is actually dying then you have no choice but to get a new drive ASAP. (I'd recommend a SSD either way. Even if it's much smaller. Do you use your entire 750GB?)

First thing that comes to mind (Well second because the first is that Chrome is horrible on OS X and has been for a while) is HDD dying. Constant pinwheels usually means dying HDD. Do you have a HDD? (Sounds like you do) If not then it's another problem. But dying HDDs can usually be predicted when pinwheels are always showing up. I hope you have a backup either way.

Try Disk Utility and see if there's errors or problems. See if it says anything about SMART. (Though that's never right anyway) But make sure you're backed up. And once you are (I assume you are if you're talking about reformatting) then try the reformat and migrate and see if it does anything. If the drive is actually dying then you have no choice but to get a new drive ASAP. (I'd recommend a SSD either way. Even if it's much smaller. Do you use your entire 750GB?)

Checked Disk Utility and nothing popped out at me. Says the HDD is verified. It very well possibly could be the HDD though, my original MagSafe charger broke about a couple weeks ago.

I have an external that I back up to but I've been too cheap to get another HDD to separate my data. My 750 GB HDD is about 200 GB of videos, 160 GB of other, 70 GB of audio and 130 GB partition of Windows.

So I guess the best bet is to grab a 256 SSD and just offload my data to another HDD. Just sucks because Im taking a trip soon trying to save up for that beforehand. But I got to keep my compute running, I would be in a world of hurt.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Checked Disk Utility and nothing popped out at me. Says the HDD is verified. It very well possibly could be the HDD though, my original MagSafe charger broke about a couple weeks ago.

I have an external that I back up to but I've been too cheap to get another HDD to separate my data. My 750 GB HDD is about 200 GB of videos, 160 GB of other, 70 GB of audio and 130 GB partition of Windows.

So I guess the best bet is to grab a 256 SSD and just offload my data to another HDD. Just sucks because Im taking a trip soon trying to save up for that beforehand. But I got to keep my compute running, I would be in a world of hurt.

check out Apple's Quality Program:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

MikeyB

My 2009 Macbook is increasingly unreliable and I want to get a bigger screen for digital art and something that can run Pillars of Eternity. Two questions:

1. Any views or quick links to thoughts on the certified refurbished macs?

2. The iMac is a little big for my space and for the price and my intended uses, I think a Mac Mini and independent monitor could get the work done for less. (Plus, could easily plug my PS TV into that monitor) Am I missing an angle here?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My 2009 Macbook is increasingly unreliable and I want to get a bigger screen for digital art and something that can run Pillars of Eternity. Two questions:

1. Any views or quick links to thoughts on the certified refurbished macs?

2. The iMac is a little big for my space and for the price and my intended uses, I think a Mac Mini and independent monitor could get the work done for less. (Plus, could easily plug my PS TV into that monitor) Am I missing an angle here?
1. They're great. Only if you really care about the pretty pictures on the outside of the box should you care that it's refurbished. It still has the same warranty. My iMac is refurbished.

2. The Mac mini disappointed me when they revealed the latest update because of the low end being horribly gimped. It pushed me to get the iMac in the first place. If you want something that can play a game, you'll be getting something other than the entry level anyway. Why not get a new MacBook Pro and a cheap display and keep the best of both worlds?

Apple refurbs rock. They're like-new, and you get the full year warranty. You can even get AppleCare. My last three laptops have been refurbs. I recently picked up a mid-2012 15" MBP for $1100, upgraded the RAM to 16GB, and I'm super pleased with it.

The Mini is a really nice machine too, though as Abed says, the base model is really gimp. I have the mid-range one, and an extra $200 gives you a computer that's basically twice the speed, with double the RAM and storage. Best of all, on the better models, you can upgrade the RAM after the fact; not possible with the base model. With 8GB, it's reasonably quick, though not as snappy as my Book with 16GB. Of course, the Book has an i7, which may help, even though it's clocked lower than the i5 in the Mini.

Either would make a solid machine. It's mostly a question of whether you want portability, how much you wanna spend, etc.

MikeyB

Thanks for the quick responses. Since I don't travel too much with a laptop, I think I am going refurbished and leaning towards a Mac mini for price reasons.

EmiPrime

Yeah the entry level Mini is a lemon but the mid/top range ones are very good. Just make sure you BTO it with an SSD as you really don't want to be running OS X off a HDD.

You can't BTO with a refurb — though Mini refurbs are pretty hard to find anyway — but with the mid-range Mini, you can do the SSD as a DIY. Not sanctioned by Apple, obviously, but it's doable. They just won't cover the SSD as part of the warranty.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah the entry level Mini is a lemon but the mid/top range ones are very good. Just make sure you BTO it with an SSD as you really don't want to be running OS X off a HDD.
Definitely. The HDD in the mini, or any HDD for that matter, will always be trumped by SSD. I don't know if they use anything faster now, but my 2010 mini was unbearable. At least get a Fusion.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Anyone in Los Angeles Area bought anything from Melrose Mac?

Im looking to trade in my current mac for another mac. Let me know!

Husker86

I've been using my MBPr mostly for my desktop work (all peripherals hooked to a USB hub so I can easily switch between it and my PC, monitors hooked up to both); I've been thinking about getting a magic trackpad.

I like my mouse and keyboard, but there are a few things I want the trackpad for, and since I almost always use my MBPr with the lid closed, well, I can't use that one.

I haven't used a Force Touch trackpad on the new Macbooks yet, and I'm wondering if I should wait for Apple to release an updated Magic Trackpad.

Is Force Touch that nice of a new feature?

mrkgoo

I've been using my MBPr mostly for my desktop work (all peripherals hooked to a USB hub so I can easily switch between it and my PC, monitors hooked up to both); I've been thinking about getting a magic trackpad.

I like my mouse and keyboard, but there are a few things I want the trackpad for, and since I almost always use my MBPr with the lid closed, well, I can't use that one.

I haven't used a Force Touch trackpad on the new Macbooks yet, and I'm wondering if I should wait for Apple to release an updated Magic Trackpad.

Is Force Touch that nice of a new feature?

I don't think force touch is anything to write home about in terms of actual function.

It's nice knowing it's not a mechanical click from an engineering perspective, but the actual use case for the deep press isn't anything to write home about.

Top Bottom