• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Furyous

Does anyone have a fix for the wifi issue where the retina macbook disconnects from wifi after visiting the lock screen or leaving the computer idle for an extended period of time?

As long as you don't expect power. Just remember that for a pound and a half more and the same price you can get a hell of a lot more power and better future-proofing. Plus more ports so you won't be constantly juggling adapters.

That would be my recommendation. The weight is literally the only benefit. The 13" model isn't even heavy so much to the point that you'll regret carrying it around. But it's no Air. Still, I have a 15" and its weight is great too. So a 13" would be fine.

If you didn't require Retina I'd suggest the Air instead for weight. So if you don't need the power then the MacBook will be fine if you want the Retina and the weight.

When you say power you mean what it can run or battery power? I literally will be using it for Internet, Word, Power a point, Excel, and iTunes... So not much of a power user. I can't go back to non retina.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
When you say power you mean what it can run or battery power? I literally will be using it for Internet, Word, Power a point, Excel, and iTunes... So not much of a power user. I can't go back to non retina.
Then it should be fine for you. Just remember it'll be slow. So look at it this way. Either you get a super light 2 pound, first revision MacBook with one port but so light that you never notice it in your hands. Or you get a slightly heavier (Only 1.5 pounds more) and more powerful 13" MBP with a higher resolution display for the same price. (Which could be useful even with what little you do) So it really just comes down to the weight. 3.5LB really isn't much. But if you think you need to, go for the 2LB MB. I personally couldn't do it when it's the same exact price for practically twice the performance, more resolution and many many more ports. (The only drawback being half the space in the entry level. 128GB for the MBP vs. 256GB for the MacBook. Which might not be an issue for you anyway.) Even if I wasn't a power user. But, the size is really nice on the MacBook. Super tiny. So it could be worth it for you. Just remember it's super underpowered. The MBP has a 2.7GHz quad-core processor. But the MacBook only has a 1.1GHz dual-core M processor. It also has a maximum scaled Retina resolution of 1440x900 vs. 1680x1050 in the MBP which is the equivalent to the 13" Air.

It's your choice in the end. If you only need it for those things, go check one out in the store. It could be just the thing for you. Note that MacRumors says that the entry model is really underpowered even compared to the $300 more mid-range model at which point you might as well just get the Pro. Do not expect to do any gaming on it.

I'd say if you have a secondary Mac or PC that you use for real work, the 12" will be perfect as a secondary "need to keep it with me at all times" machine. But I wouldn't use it as a main computer unless you really literally never use computers in day to day life at home.

Here's a good review: http://www.tested.com/tech/mac-os/523094-testing-apples-12-inch-macbook-2015/
This isn't going to be a laptop for someone who needs to plug into a monitor every day, nor is it going to be someone who needs a computer for video editing. It's a laptop for coffee shops, airplanes, and hotel rooms. For shoulder bags instead of laptop bags. And that's OK.

Then it should be fine for you. Just remember it'll be slow. So look at it this way. Either you get a super light 2 pound, first revision MacBook with one port but so light that you never notice it in your hands. Or you get a slightly heavier (Only 1.5 pounds more) and more powerful 13" MBP with a higher resolution display for the same price. (Which could be useful even with what little you do) So it really just comes down to the weight. 3.5LB really isn't much. But if you think you need to, go for the 2LB MB. I personally couldn't do it when it's the same exact price for practically twice the performance, more resolution and many many more ports. (The only drawback being half the space in the entry level. 128GB for the MBP vs. 256GB for the MacBook. Which might not be an issue for you anyway.) Even if I wasn't a power user. But, the size is really nice on the MacBook. Super tiny. So it could be worth it for you. Just remember it's super underpowered. The MBP has a 2.7GHz quad-core processor. But the MacBook only has a 1.1GHz dual-core M processor. It also has a maximum scaled Retina resolution of 1440x900 vs. 1680x1050 in the MBP which is the equivalent to the 13" Air.

It's your choice in the end. If you only need it for those things, go check one out in the store. It could be just the thing for you. Note that MacRumors says that the entry model is really underpowered even compared to the $300 more mid-range model at which point you might as well just get the Pro. Do not expect to do any gaming on it.

I'd say if you have a secondary Mac or PC that you use for real work, the 12" will be perfect as a secondary "need to keep it with me at all times" machine. But I wouldn't use it as a main computer unless you really literally never use computers in day to day life at home.

Here's a good review: http://www.tested.com/tech/mac-os/523094-testing-apples-12-inch-macbook-2015/

Thanks for all the info. I don't have a monitor. I mostly use my iPad at home, and my work computer which is a shitty dell for work. My current MacBook Pro chugs (mid 2010) when I multi task with iTunes, Internet, and Excel, and was hoping the new MacBook would be an improvement in performance. I don't care for ports either as I don't even remember the last time I plugged something into my current computer.

With that said is it possible I wait it out until next year with the idea that they improve the internals? Or is that likely not to happen?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
With that said is it possible I wait it out until next year with the idea that they improve the internals? Or is that likely not to happen?
Oh the Rev B model will definitely be better. Whether it'll be a lot better or not depends on what Intel does for the M line. (If they keep it in this machine.) Remember that the Air was a piece of crap for 3 years before it was redesigned into the amazing machine we have now. Thing is the 12" MacBook is very limited in what you can put inside. It's like 85% battery. The circuitry itself is tiny and you can't really put something very powerful in that small of a space. Especially with no fan.

The Rev A will be fine for your needs. But remember that you will still notice its bottlenecks occasionally. You could wait for Rev B but there's no guarantee it'll be super amazing. Though according to MacRumors, even the mid-range Rev A model is much better than the entry. Next year I'd assume that mid-range would become the entry in performance itself. But that's still a while away.

I'd still say go with the 13" Pro since you're replacing a 2010 MBP. (Same model I had. My dad uses it now. Still seems to be going strong though I replaced the HDD with a SSD a few months after getting it.) Even the 13" Retina Pro will be lighter than your 2010 MBP and much more powerful. Though the 12" MacBook will also be twice as powerful as well so you can't really lose with either choice.

I can't really make your decision for you. I've given you all the info you need. I say go to an Apple Store or other Apple retailer and try both machines. Lift them up. Hold them and see how they feel after holding them for a few minutes. Compare it to your current MBP. Play around with the UI and internet. Have fun. I'm sure you'll be happy with either one. It's all down to you to decide which one you'd prefer.

EmiPrime

I love my little 11" MBA, it's fantastic for carrying everyday to school.

Weight and keyboard are important considerations. I find my dad's MBP noticeably heavier and the keyboard on the new Macbook is not my favourite to put it mildly. Definitely go to your Apple store and have a fiddle first.

Oh the Rev B model will definitely be better. Whether it'll be a lot better or not depends on what Intel does for the M line. (If they keep it in this machine.) Remember that the Air was a piece of crap for 3 years before it was redesigned into the amazing machine we have now. Thing is the 12" MacBook is very limited in what you can put inside. It's like 85% battery. The circuitry itself is tiny and you can't really put something very powerful in that small of a space. Especially with no fan.

The Rev A will be fine for your needs. But remember that you will still notice its bottlenecks occasionally. You could wait for Rev B but there's no guarantee it'll be super amazing. Though according to MacRumors, even the mid-range Rev A model is much better than the entry. Next year I'd assume that mid-range would become the entry in performance itself. But that's still a while away.

I'd still say go with the 13" Pro since you're replacing a 2010 MBP. (Same model I had. My dad uses it now. Still seems to be going strong though I replaced the HDD with a SSD a few months after getting it.) Even the 13" Retina Pro will be lighter than your 2010 MBP and much more powerful. Though the 12" MacBook will also be twice as powerful as well so you can't really lose with either choice.

I can't really make your decision for you. I've given you all the info you need. I say go to an Apple Store or other Apple retailer and try both machines. Lift them up. Hold them and see how they feel after holding them for a few minutes. Compare it to your current MBP. Play around with the UI and internet. Have fun. I'm sure you'll be happy with either one. It's all down to you to decide which one you'd prefer.

You're the man, I appreciate it. This helps a lot. I feel like if the 12 inch is still 2x as powerful as my current machine that will be quite a bit for me. I will go to an Apple store and see the weight difference and make the decision from there.

Thanks again.

X-Frame

Apologies if this isn't technically the correct thread for this question -- but has there been any rumors of a possibly iPod Nano refresh?

Mine is at least 5 years old and yet the MacRumors Buying Guide is saying not to buy because it is at double the lifespan of it's usual refresh window.

Should I at least wait until the September apple event or just grab one now?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm going to bet the iPod line is dead. The chances of a new model are super slim. Not even a refresh. They removed iPod from the navigation bar on the website. Everyone has iPhones or other smartphones with all their music or a streaming app these days. So they'll just sell what they have until it becomes no longer viable.

But don't quote me because Apple hasn't officially come out and said it. Until you can no longer actually buy them from Apple.com, they're still alive. For now. But they can and will disappear when you least expect them to. If you want one, get one. I don't see them getting any kind of update.

Fuchsdh

I'm going to bet the iPod line is dead. The chances of a new model are super slim. Not even a refresh. They removed iPod from the navigation bar on the website. Everyone has iPhones or other smartphones with all their music or a streaming app these days. So they'll just sell what they have until it becomes no longer viable.

But don't quote me because Apple hasn't officially come out and said it. Until you can no longer actually buy them from Apple.com, they're still alive. For now. But they can and will disappear when you least expect them to. If you want one, get one. I don't see them getting any kind of update.

I dunno. I think this year will be the decider, because they're certainly trying to purge A5 devices so they don't have to support them soon. Honestly I'm not sure what they'd change about the shuffle and nano, really.

Gaf I recently bought a pro, and I have a questrion or two regarding installing windows. Am I supposed to buy a download and put it in a usb then install it? Or what exactly, sorry if the question is dumb. I've used windows mainly.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I dunno. I think this year will be the decider, because they're certainly trying to purge A5 devices so they don't have to support them soon. Honestly I'm not sure what they'd change about the shuffle and nano, really.
Well that would really only apply to the iPod touch. And if anything that's the only device they'd update one more time. But I just don't see it. The landscape changed. The iPod is mostly irrelevant. If not for the minor group of people who like to run with them. (A lot of people run with their phones now and even use apps for it.)

We'll see.

Gaf I recently bought a pro, and I have a questrion or two regarding installing windows. Am I supposed to buy a download and put it in a usb then install it? Or what exactly, sorry if the question is dumb. I've used windows mainly.
Microsoft should supply you with an official ISO from their website as long as you own a product key. Go to microsoft.com. You will need a USB stick of a certain size yes.

This might help:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468

Note the system requirements and Windows versions allowed for specific Macs to make sure you have the right one.

In the end there's an alternative method if you don't plan on doing heavy gaming. Use a Virtual Machine like Parallels as it won't be as difficult or require a USB stick.

Like I don't own any windows software it's always come with my windows laptop. So I will have to buy it off the store as a Download though right? Also thanks very much for responding

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Like I don't own any windows software it's always come with my windows laptop. So I will have to buy it off the store as a Download though right? Also thanks very much for responding
You'll need to own a copy of Windows. And yes, Microsoft offers ISO of most recent versions. Windows 10 is coming out soon but if you have 7 or 8 you will still be able to get it for free so feel free to purchase one of them if you really need Windows software.

mrkgoo

Just a note, the 13" MacBook Pro is dual core not quad core I think.

Swag

Zc26TA8.png

Anyone know how to fix this, whenever I click on update for update 10.10.4 it just hangs.

NekoFever

Can anyone help me with this weird problem? I'm stumped.

The App Store offered me the update to iTunes 12.2 and went through the update, but when I run iTunes I'm still on 12.1, and the MAS shows 12.2 as installed. I downloaded the installer from the Apple website as well; running that goes through the install process but gives me this error at the end:

screenshot2015-07-01a7ujsi.png

I tried removing iTunes through the Terminal and the MAS offered me the 12.2 update again, but once it had run there was still no iTunes in my Applications folder.

Massive thanks to anyone who can help.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Does anyone know of a tracking software that turns on the camera when the laptop is on?

I want it in case if someone takes my Macbook Pro and have video evidence.
It would be neat if that was a feature of Find My Mac. Where you log in and enable it to take pictures and send them to you when the machine is turned on even if it's just at the login screen. Bonus points if they can turn the camera on without the LED.

Fuchsdh

It would be neat if that was a feature of Find My Mac. Where you log in and enable it to take pictures and send them to you when the machine is turned on even if it's just at the login screen. Bonus points if they can turn the camera on without the LED.

I don't think you want to give hackers a far easier way to remotely activate your camera without you knowing.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't think you want to give hackers a far easier way to remotely activate your camera without you knowing.
Yeah I know. So I guess just turn it on briefly and take some pictures when it's turned on and at the login screen then shut it off. Maybe the person who stole it won't even think twice and figure it's just a boot up thing.

The problem is then getting the pictures to the Internet. Especially if there's a password on the machine that the theif can't crack and a password on the router. In that case you'd be SOL. Which I guess is a good reason to have a Guest account so the theif has something to use and some method to connect. Either way FMM does have other measures in place for tracking the machine as long as someone can connect it to Internet.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Heya GAF!

I currently own a Mid-2012 Macbook Pro Retina 15inch, and i've been experiencing video glitch issues and random restarts. And so, I recently brought the macbook to the apple store for repairs - Logic board was replaced. After I had picked up my macbook from the apple store, a day later parts of my display will be blacked out randomly. This has occurred numerous times after I got my mac back from the store. In addition, I have been experiencing a lot of "beachball" since I got my mac back - browsing the web, and non intensive daily tasks. I'm thinking of selling my mac and purchase a new one or should I wait? What do you guys think?

Note: I no longer have Apple Care.

mrkgoo

Heya GAF!

I currently own a Mid-2012 Macbook Pro Retina 15inch, and i've been experiencing video glitch issues and random restarts. And so, I recently brought the macbook to the apple store for repairs - Logic board was replaced. After I had picked up my macbook from the apple store, a day later parts of my display will be blacked out randomly. This has occurred numerous times after I got my mac back from the store. In addition, I have been experiencing a lot of "beachball" since I got my mac back - browsing the web, and non intensive daily tasks. I'm thinking of selling my mac and purchase a new one or should I wait? What do you guys think?

The repair service itself has a warranty. Take it back to the apple store.

Deku Tree

Heya GAF!

Yup if your having these problems and they all started after your repair then bring it back to the Apple Store ASAP.

Deku Tree

I need some space... the 74GB remaining on my main 246GB SSD seems too little... How do I safely move my "Photo's library" off of my main 256GB SSD onto an external HDD?

I need some space... the 74GB remaining on my main 246GB SSD seems too little... How do I safely move my "Photo's library" off of my main 256GB SSD onto an external HDD?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I am sure you can just Copy/Paste the 'name's Photos Library' file, then hold Opt when opening Photos and choose the library file on your external drive.

Also, Photos can only work on HFS+ formatted drives, I think.

Fuchsdh

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I am sure you can just Copy/Paste the 'name's Photos Library' file, then hold Opt when opening Photos and choose the library file on your external drive.

Dunno about drive formatting, but you're correct on the former point—just copy over your library, and hold the option key to swap your library location, delete the old one. You can do the same with iTunes easily (moved my music to my scratch drive to save room on my 240GB SSD.)

Deku Tree

Dunno about drive formatting, but you're correct on the former point—just copy over your library, and hold the option key to swap your library location, delete the old one. You can do the same with iTunes easily (moved my music to my scratch drive to save room on my 240GB SSD.)

Thanks! I'll try that when I get home. All drives are HFS+ so that doesn't matter to me. Wish I had an option to put most of my "old photos" on the external drive, and keep the new photos on the SSD but I don't think Photos allows me to do that....

Fuchsdh

Thanks! I'll try that when I get home. All drives are HFS+ so that doesn't matter to me. Wish I had an option to put most of my "old photos" on the external drive, and keep the new photos on the SSD but I don't think Photos allows me to do that....

Well, you could do that manually by loading up different libraries, although with the obvious caveat you have to restart and repick if you wanted to look at something newer or older.

Deku Tree

Well, you could do that manually by loading up different libraries, although with the obvious caveat you have to restart and repick if you wanted to look at something newer or older.

Yeah I don't know if I want to do that... Too bad for me I guess... Not a big deal. Thanks!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
God damn, I want a new Macbook Pro 15 but it's $2000 and my 13" is only 3 years old. >_>

But it's slowing down. I connect it to two 1080p monitors and play lots of videos... I'm feeling the burn. I should probably upgrade to 8gb RAM but I have a feeling this Intel HD 4000 isn't doing my any favors.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
God damn, I want a new Macbook Pro 15 but it's $2000 and my 13" is only 3 years old. >_>

But it's slowing down. I connect it to two 1080p monitors and play lots of videos... I'm feeling the burn. I should probably upgrade to 8gb RAM but I have a feeling this Intel HD 4000 isn't doing my any favors.
You don't even have 8GB RAM? Most definitely there's a major part of the problem. Also replace the drive with a SSD. If you plan on keeping it. My dad still uses my 2010 13" Pro and it runs great still because I installed a SSD and 8GB. Definitely invest. They'll work wonders for the most part. Or just buy a new machine since its time anyway.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If you already had 8GB RAM then an SSD would help a lot. But you really need 8GB RAM. It's just so important these days. And it's pretty cheap now. And SSD's are coming down fast too. No reason not to invest. Otherwise look into a new machine, maybe even a cheaper refurb. Cant go wrong either way. (New machine will last you longer. Upgrading the old one will help the wait for better machines and give you another year or so.)

Fantastical

Death Prophet
You don't even have 8GB RAM? Most definitely there's a major part of the problem. Also replace the drive with a SSD. If you plan on keeping it. My dad still uses my 2010 13" Pro and it runs great still because I installed a SSD and 8GB. Definitely invest. They'll work wonders for the most part. Or just buy a new machine since its time anyway.

I upgraded to SSD about a year ago. Great decision. Yeah I'm weighing between upgrading my current one and getting a new one. The battery is really shitty too (says "Replace Soon" and doesn't get a good charge). Decisions, decisions. If this had been last year I would have definitely just upgraded but now I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to look for a new one. :p

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I upgraded to SSD about a year ago. Great decision. Yeah I'm weighing between upgrading my current one and getting a new one. The battery is really shitty too (says "Replace Soon" and doesn't get a good charge). Decisions, decisions. If this had been last year I would have definitely just upgraded but now I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to look for a new one. :p
Invest in some RAM. Then when new machines come out in the fall (I guess) purchase one and a nice external case for the current SSD to use as a portable backup or something.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Invest in some RAM. Then when new machines come out in the fall (I guess) purchase one and a nice external case for the current SSD to use as a portable backup or something.

I think they were just updated, which is part of the reason I wanted to buy one. :p What sucks is the base 15 inch model only comes with 256GB SSD and it costs 300 fucking dollars to upgrade to 512GB.

Are new models coming in fall? Didn't they just refresh recently?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Are new models coming in fall? Didn't they just refresh recently?
I dunno. I can't remember anymore. I guess they all have been. So no updates in the fall I guess. Maybe just buy it now then. Do you use the entire 512GB you have? You could keep the old SSD in an external case and keep that extra stuff on it.

I went all out and got the highest end 15" with the 512GB Flash. $2600. Worth it. Two GPUs. More space than I need. Best processor. Gonna get 4 years out of this thing if not 3. (Will be 2 years in November.) Sadly the last couple revisions since the model I bought have been mediocre bumps. No big leaps in speed. So when I do replace it, there may not be a huge gap like I was hoping. Then again, I might not even go high end next time and might go with whatever 12" MacBook is available at the time or 13" MacBook Pro (If the 12" is still super not worth it.) since I'll have an iMac for power and a gaming PC for gaming by then. So I won't need the highest end MBP at that point. Will save me more than $1000 too.

RAM is your friend. You should get 16GB.

If you think paging to an SSD is fast, you should try not paging at all. lol

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really don't understand why voice memos are STILL treated like songs in iTunes. Why the fuck aren't their own category like Ringtones, Movies, TV Shows, Apps and Books? Why the fuck do they still get imported into my main music library in 2015? It's completely stupid.

Can someone please explain to me Pocket? Someone suggested I use it when I told them I was thinking about creating a ruby gem that strips all the CSS out of a page and just save the text data for local reading as a pdf. They told me that pocket does the same thing, so I looked into it, but from what I can tell pocket still has to request the webpage even when it's saved the text.

Having to constantly ping the webpage in order to read what I pocketed/saved kind of defeats the purpose for me.

Am I missing something?

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Alright guys. An update to my post above:

Just brought the computer to the Apple Store, and the apple employee cannot pinpoint the source that's causing my rMBP to go nuts. The genius bar employee said that they will send it off to an off-site inspection center to see what is wrong with the laptop - Apple said they could repair it in store since they suspect its a gfx card issue, but to be sure they want to send it to the off site inspection center.

As such, I'm deciding whether or not to sell of my Mid 2012 Retina MBP 15inch, and downsize to a Macbook or something. What do you guys think?

Top Bottom