• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Drop down to a 13" Pro.

As a Mac user: I generally do web surfing, videos on youtube, music on Apple Music, Microsoft Office, and Mail. Nothing too intensive, in terms of ports I tend to favor the USB ports for time machine backups and flash drives, and maybe occasional HDMI hookup to the TV. Outside of that, I don't really use anything else.

I'm looking for something a bit more portable, but with retina. I'm going to assume that once I have a job, the firm will issue a company laptop. I wish there was a Macbook Air with Retina Display (one can only dream).

As such, i'm thinking between a rMBP 13 or the Macbook - favoring the Macbook as of now. :/

zychi

Banned
As a Mac user: I generally do web surfing, videos on youtube, music on Apple Music, Microsoft Office, and Mail. Nothing too intensive, in terms of ports I tend to favor the USB ports for time machine backups and flash drives, and maybe occasional HDMI hookup to the TV. Outside of that, I don't really use anything else.

I'm looking for something a bit more portable, but with retina. I'm going to assume that once I have a job, the firm will issue a company laptop. I wish there was a Macbook Air with Retina Display (one can only dream).

As such, i'm thinking between a rMBP 13 or the Macbook - favoring the Macbook as of now. :/

Why would you favor the older screen? The "air with retina" you want is the new macbook. Pricey, but thats what the new air is.

I'm real close to pulling the trigger on a 1149 8gb 13 inch retina with force touch, but cant talk myself into it. I already have a beastly gaming pc

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Why would you favor the older screen? The "air with retina" you want is the new macbook. Pricey, but thats what the new air is.

I'm real close to pulling the trigger on a 1149 8gb 13 inch retina with force touch, but cant talk myself into it. I already have a beastly gaming pc

Hahaha tell me about it. I'm trying to convince myself not to get the Macbook due to the lack of ports and adapters - its so damn attractive. However, the issues I'm having with my current retina macbook pro is absolutely stupid and I can't imagine the cost of repair going forward.

Hahaha tell me about it. I'm trying to convince myself not to get the Macbook due to the lack of ports and adapters - its so damn attractive. However, the issues I'm having with my current retina macbook pro is absolutely stupid and I can't imagine the cost of repair going forward.

I hear mixed reviews on the keyboard because of lack of travel. You might want to consider that.

First iterations of Apple products usually aren't the greatest. Try out the new Macbook at your nearby Apple store and judge for yourself.

Well if you need a bunch of ports for time machine and flash drives...why would you get a Macbook? D:

Besides it's the first gen Macbook...just wait.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Well if you need a bunch of ports for time machine and flash drives...why would you get a Macbook? D:

Besides it's the first gen Macbook...just wait.

I've semi-convinced myself that I could make do with the adapters. Yeah, i've been thinking about the 1st gen apple products, as witnessed with my 1st gen 15inch rMBP. Sigh.. decisions. The rMBP seems heavy at 3.5lbs, but it can't be bad since i've been using a 15inch rMBP.

I hear mixed reviews on the keyboard because of lack of travel. You might want to consider that.

First iterations of Apple products usually aren't the greatest. Try out the new Macbook at your nearby Apple store and judge for yourself.

Yep! I was just there playing with the Macbook. The keyboard took some getting used to, but after playing with it a few more times I think its ok.

zychi

Banned
I've semi-convinced myself that I could make do with the adapters. Yeah, i've been thinking about the 1st gen apple products, as witnessed with my 1st gen 15inch rMBP. Sigh.. decisions. The rMBP seems heavy at 3.5lbs, but it can't be bad since i've been using a 15inch rMBP.

Yep! I was just there playing with the Macbook. The keyboard took some getting used to, but after playing with it a few more times I think its ok.

Hows the new touchpad?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Similar situation

My SO needs a new laptop. I like the new Macbook, but hate the port situation + 1st gen Apple is usually wait for 2nd gen.

13" Air seems better for her as she likes the slightly larger screen, the SD card reader for her dslr, and the ports. It just seems to lack the polish of the new Macbook.

Idk idk... Probably going to the Apple store tomorrow just to check shit out in person, and then we can mull things over.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Similar situation

My SO needs a new laptop. I like the new Macbook, but hate the port situation + 1st gen Apple is usually wait for 2nd gen.

13" Air seems better for her as she likes the slightly larger screen, the SD card reader for her dslr, and the ports. It just seems to lack the polish of the new Macbook.

Idk idk... Probably going to the Apple store tomorrow just to check shit out in person, and then we can mull things over.

Yeah, for the new Macbook its probably best to check it out in person.

Personally I'd say get the 13 MBP as it'll last you longer. That or wait until the next Macbook. I really feel when Apple reveals the Macbook update first gen owners will be kicking themselves. They're totally going to add a second USB-C port at the very least.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Personally I'd say get the 13 MBP as it'll last you longer. That or wait until the next Macbook. I really feel when Apple reveals the Macbook update first gen owners will be kicking themselves. They're totally going to add a second USB-C port at the very least.

I totally understand, I can sense the buyers remorse when Apple reveals Gen 2. I was looking into the thinness of the Macbook and Asus Zenbook (the newest zenbook was much thinner), and what I found was that the Zenbook was able to fit USB ports and etc given its thinness. I don't get why Apple wouldn't fit at least 1 USB 3.0 and shift the Microphones down a bit.

The one thing to remember with the 13" is it's still 800 lines of vertical space, unless you use a scaling option, making full-screen a must. The split-screen, complete hiding of the Safari toolbar, and hopefully picture in a picture are going to continue to mitigate the issue, but the fact remains that these are still workarounds and require a change in your otherwise normal workflow.

Metal/GPU optimizations will hopefully help with the scaling performance as well.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hopefully the first or second MacBook revision adds at least a second port. It's really all it needs besides a better processor. Okay, it needs other things too but those are the biggies. I admire the machine. It looks amazing. But it's just not it right now.

Cant wait to see how all three MacBooks evolve within the next two years.

Also, yeah. iTunes latest update is horrible. I get a black screen at launch that takes forever to switch to the actual app. Fucking hell. Why is iTunes so hard to get Fullscreen right? It's ALWAYS been broken since the start. And is the only app that deals with Fullscreen differently from every other app.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
The one thing to remember with the 13" is it's still 800 lines of vertical space, unless you use a scaling option, making full-screen a must. The split-screen, complete hiding of the Safari toolbar, and hopefully picture in a picture are going to continue to mitigate the issue, but the fact remains that these are still workarounds and require a change in your otherwise normal workflow.

Metal/GPU optimizations will hopefully help with the scaling performance as well.

Yeah I already scaled my Retina Macbook Pro 15 to the highest settings possible. I'm a bit confused but what you're saying is to scale the 13 Retina macbook pro to its highest resolution or do you mean the 12in Macbook?

Hopefully the first or second MacBook revision adds at least a second port. It's really all it needs besides a better processor. Okay, it needs other things too but those are the biggies. I admire the machine. It looks amazing. But it's just not it right now.

Cant wait to see how all three MacBooks evolve within the next two years.

Also, yeah. iTunes latest update is horrible. I get a black screen at launch that takes forever to switch to the actual app. Fucking hell. Why is iTunes so hard to get Fullscreen right? It's ALWAYS been broken since the start. And is the only app that deals with Fullscreen differently from every other app.

About the Macbook, I can see that happening going forward and hopefully it will. If there was an extra port whether it is USB 3.0 or USB C, it would make a killer laptop.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Definitely. It would make the machine infinitely more attractive to some people who happen to like keeping the machine plugged in while also connected to something else without special dongles like a HDD or a display. I don't see a USB3 port but if anything definitely a C. Mainly because of how much more useful it is than plain 3.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Definitely. It would make the machine infinitely more attractive to some people who happen to like keeping the machine plugged in while also connected to something else without special dongles like a HDD or a display. I don't see a USB3 port but if anything definitely a C. Mainly because of how much more useful it is than plain 3.

Very true. Though, that would still require adapters from USB C to USB 3.0. As I'm assuming that most people's peripherals are still using USB 3.0. But its definitely better than one port with 1 dongle for everything. Honestly, if the new ASUS Zenbook can add multiple adapters and its thinner than the Macbook, Apple can do it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Holy fuck the new Macbook keyboard is bad.

How did Apple approve this garbage? The key travel is non existent due to the new slim form factor, and fuck me it's bad.

Checking out both the new Macbook and the Air, and it's night and day. The keyboard on the 13" Air is boss compared to the Macbook.

I mean I guess someone could get use to it eventually, but fuck me idk why one should have too.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really need to try one in person. I keep hearing about the keyboard. And I haven't tried the new trackpad. I'm sure whatever problems there are with them will be worked out by the time I upgrade.

So I know this ain't the right thread, but did something happen to the Apple Watch OT? I can't find it anywhere

Edit: nevermind, found it. For some reason search was being terrible

Deku Tree

If I have a 2.5 year old 15" rMBP with AppleCare and my retina display has a dead pixel in the middle of the screen will Apple give me a new screen?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Fantastic! Enjoy the machine.
I would if Apple would let me have it. :/ Made the order at 10:45... waited until 1:30 for it to be processed. Decided to head to the mall... figured I could just get it anyways. Nope... it's not processed. Now it's 3:15 and I still don't have it. I have about 30% confidence it will be done today. The only reason I made the order online is to get an employee discount from my company. Don't care how, I WANT IT NOW!!!

co1onel

So I have this problem with my macbook's charger where the cable is starting to turn greenish at the part where it plugs into the laptop. After looking it up it seems that some of the chargers had bad insulation and the discoloration is caused by the wire overheating. Apparently if left as is the wire can eventually burn off? Is it safe to just keep using the charger? And do I have any options other than wasting 100 bucks on a new magsafe charger?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Want to give a big fuck you to Apple for screwing me out of being able to pick up my laptop today. I've never really been angry in a store before, but I was today!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Want to give a big fuck you to Apple for screwing me out of being able to pick up my laptop today. I've never really been angry in a store before, but I was today!
Well then. Did you actually choose pick up in store? It doesn't seem like Apple did anything wrong. If you order online you need to wait for it to ship. Was store pick up even an option for that discount?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Well then. Did you actually choose pick up in store? It doesn't seem like Apple did anything wrong. If you order online you need to wait for it to ship. Was store pick up even an option for that discount?

Yes I chose pick up in store. :p It was a personal pickup and it said "Available Today" (and still says that!). The only way I could get the discount is doing it online, to my knowledge. I called Apple and they said there was an issue with personal pickups today.

EDIT: To be clear, there was nothing to ship. They had them in stock. They couldn't do it because it was still processing.

asdad123

Yes I chose pick up in store. :p It was a personal pickup and it said "Available Today" (and still says that!). The only way I could get the discount is doing it online, to my knowledge. I called Apple and they said there was an issue with personal pickups today.

EDIT: To be clear, there was nothing to ship. They had them in stock. They couldn't do it because it was still processing.

Did you wait for the email saying your order is ready before heading to the store?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

That sucks ass. I'd call Apple themselves and explain the situation too. They like to keep their customers so who knows what they might do for you. Maybe nothing other than an apology but who knows.

Maybe tomorrow it'll be ready? I know I'd be sad too.

Draper

After much deliberation, I ended up picking up the new Macbook Pro w/ Retina 13". Prior to this, I owned the base version of a 2012 macbook air. Screen is obviously much better, but more than that, the entire experience is so much snappier. It's a bit bulkier, but the tradeoff is definitely worth it I feel. Also, my wifi connection isn't sporadically dropping anymore, thank god.

Any tips or tricks I should know of, or any setting adjustments to better the experience, let me know!

Liquid_015

Gold Member
After much deliberation, I ended up picking up the new Macbook Pro w/ Retina 13". Prior to this, I owned the base version of a 2012 macbook air. Screen is obviously much better, but more than that, the entire experience is so much snappier. It's a bit bulkier, but the tradeoff is definitely worth it I feel. Also, my wifi connection isn't sporadically dropping anymore, thank god.

Any tips or tricks I should know of, or any setting adjustments to better the experience, let me know!

Max out the screen resolution!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ha, just did, everything is so small- how do you manage??
Did you max it out to the maximum HiDPI resolution? (1680x1050 on the 13" MBP) Or the actual display resolution? (2560x1600)

If it's the latter, then of course everything will be tiny. Use the 1680x1050 mode. It will be so much more comfortable than the default "Best for Retina". Personally, I'm on a 15" at 1920x1200 and I love it. Everything is the right size for my eyes. I believe on the 13" at the 1680x1050 resolution everything will be the same size roughly. If that's too small then go the next step lower.

Here's a tip: Download QuickRes and play around with every resolution option it gives you and see which one feels the most comfortable. That's the benefit to Retina. You can scale to so many sizes and things will always look crisp as opposed to other non-Retina displays where going lower will blur the shit out of the image.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
That sucks ass. I'd call Apple themselves and explain the situation too. They like to keep their customers so who knows what they might do for you. Maybe nothing other than an apology but who knows.

Maybe tomorrow it'll be ready? I know I'd be sad too.

Yeah I've already complained to Apple and they seem to be giving me a "we've done all we can do" type thing, but if it's not ready tomorrow I'll be very upset. It's a disappointment at this point, tomorrow would be... more than that.

Draper

Did you max it out to the maximum HiDPI resolution? (1680x1050 on the 13" MBP) Or the actual display resolution? (2560x1600)

If it's the latter, then of course everything will be tiny. Use the 1680x1050 mode. It will be so much more comfortable than the default "Best for Retina". Personally, I'm on a 15" at 1920x1200 and I love it. Everything is the right size for my eyes. I believe on the 13" at the 1680x1050 resolution everything will be the same size roughly. If that's too small then go the next step lower.

Here's a tip: Download QuickRes and play around with every resolution option it gives you and see which one feels the most comfortable. That's the benefit to Retina. You can scale to so many sizes and things will always look crisp as opposed to other non-Retina displays where going lower will blur the shit out of the image.

I mean, I'm just adjusting this:

B0yzTTk.png

I do appreciate the crispness and the added screen real estate. Maybe it just takes some adjusting. And it looks like the app is 5 bucks? I'll hold off for now and try this res.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
I mean, I'm just adjusting this:

I do appreciate the crispness and the added screen real estate. Maybe it just takes some adjusting. And it looks like the app is 5 bucks? I'll hold off for now and try this res.

Haha yeah, it does take sometime to adjust but once you do you can't go back!

Peltz

Didn't realize we had an OT for Mac.

I just got my first Mac computer a few weeks ago: a 15 inch Macbook Pro with quadcore processor and the AMD Radeon R9 M370X.

I'm still getting used to it, but I really dig it so far. Any tips for a new mac user?

thaOwner

Hey guys, I just picked up a Late 2008 Macbook for about $150 from a friend. My first Mac laptop. Is it possible to get yosemite running on this thing ?

Top Bottom