• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Am I crazy for not wanting a 5K iMac because of the lack of nVidia graphics cards? I would rather stick with 4K iMac and its integrated Iris Pro. I just am not a fan of AMD and see it as second rate. Please educate me on the positives on AMD.

Normally I'd get a Mac mini but even if it had Broadwell in it, I would not be impressed by a mobile dual-core processor and Iris 6100.

I almost can't wait for the second revision of the 4K iMac which I believe will have Iris Pro 580.

Blackhead

Redarse
what's the best translation solution (extension, bookmarklet, mod etc) for mac OS X safari?

(what are good extensions for os x safari in general?) I still have many extensions from Chrome/Firefox that I haven't found for Safari and its hampering my switch to Safari :(

Did a fresh install, then the user migration app to pull from the backup - worked like a charm. Back up and running! Thanks for your help and moral support!

Excellent! Do you have Forza 6 yet?

Need some help.
Got a Macbook Pro that is stuck on the login screen when you try to type a password. I don't really know what to do. Can anyone help?
Using Yosemite

Do external mouse/keyboard work?

Can you boot recovery mode (hold cmd-r at startup bong)?

Moreche

Received my first OSX device ever, a 2015 MBP 13" a few days ago and I'm absolutely loving it
The trackpad with it gesture controls, the keyboard and OSX itself is godly.
It's the first laptop I actually look forward to using instead of it feeling like I'm working with it.
My only issue is playing sunless sea on steam is set to a certain resolution that's not retina and I can't change it.

zychi

Banned
Not sure if you guys can help, but having an issue with an 09 macbook. I installed a samsung evo ssd in it a few years ago, and all of a sudden it tells me theres no hard drive. Person who owns the laptop says they may have gotten it wet during a downpour, but i see no water damage at all. I mess with the cables, the cable to the board was a bit loose everything looks good. Get the hard drive to show up in disk utility.

I did a clean erase of the hard drive and ran some error checking on it. Seems fine.

Well now when i try to reinstall osx(el capitain specifically) it tells me it cant write to the last block of the ssd. It shows up mounted and ready for use. Googling my problem leads me to recalls about stuff that isnt related at all.

Is this a hard drive issue, a cable issue, or a board issue? Anyone ever have this issue?

Thanks in advance

mrkgoo

Not sure if you guys can help, but having an issue with an 09 macbook. I installed a samsung evo ssd in it a few years ago, and all of a sudden it tells me theres no hard drive. Person who owns the laptop says they may have gotten it wet during a downpour, but i see no water damage at all. I mess with the cables, the cable to the board was a bit loose everything looks good. Get the hard drive to show up in disk utility.

I did a clean erase of the hard drive and ran some error checking on it. Seems fine.

Well now when i try to reinstall osx(el capitain specifically) it tells me it cant write to the last block of the ssd. It shows up mounted and ready for use. Googling my problem leads me to recalls about stuff that isnt related at all.

Is this a hard drive issue, a cable issue, or a board issue? Anyone ever have this issue?

Thanks in advance
Could be any of those things. You'd have to test a combination of them to find out like known good cables and drives.

mrkgoo

Received my first OSX device ever, a 2015 MBP 13" a few days ago and I'm absolutely loving it
The trackpad with it gesture controls, the keyboard and OSX itself is godly.
It's the first laptop I actually look forward to using instead of it feeling like I'm working with it.
My only issue is playing sunless sea on steam is set to a certain resolution that's not retina and I can't change it.

It has been ages since I switched myself, but during the hey day of "switching" it was a common perception of people that they liked how OS X kind of gets out of your way to just do the stuff you want and/or that people actually enjoy using their computer instead of fighting not with it. It has been a while since I've heard that again until now.

zychi

Banned
Could be any of those things. You'd have to test a combination of them to find out like known good cables and drives.
Ive tested all 3, different sata cables, different hard drives(same model)

The hard drive works fine in windows when formatted properly. It give me an error in osx that it cant "modify partition map" it doesnt let me format it disk utility anymore.

The hard drive works fine in windows when formatted properly. It give me an error in osx that it cant "modify partition map" it doesnt let me format it disk utility anymore.

I know disk-utility is supposed to be improved in 10.11, but historically the command line diskutil has been much more powerful and willing to fix things that Disk Utility.app has refused to work on. I would boot off another physical disk/USB/netinstall and use the Terminal to run diskutil on it to erase it.

empyrean

Am I crazy for not wanting a 5K iMac because of the lack of nVidia graphics cards? I would rather stick with 4K iMac and its integrated Iris Pro. I just am not a fan of AMD and see it as second rate. Please educate me on the positives on AMD.

Normally I'd get a Mac mini but even if it had Broadwell in it, I would not be impressed by a mobile dual-core processor and Iris 6100.

I almost can't wait for the second revision of the 4K iMac which I believe will have Iris Pro 580.

Im going through the same thought at the moment in terms of really wanting an nvidia gpu instead of the current crop of amd cards they are using.

Not managed to se any benchmarks for the m395x yet or how hot it runs.

robox

is airdrop the most useless thing ever?
it never works!

well, i got it working once, trying to transfer a movie file, but it was super slow and connection eventually broke and failed

robox

well, i can't even get my devices to show up to each other

mbp and iphone.
end up relying on old fashion email to self or remote login

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
is airdrop the most useless thing ever?
it never works!

well, i got it working once, trying to transfer a movie file, but it was super slow and connection eventually broke and failed
I used it once. It's slow as shit. I gave up and transferred the file by removing a HDD and plugging it in the other machine.

If I'm going to transfer a tiny file, I have DropBox which would still be more convenient.

Xun

My dad encountered this popup earlier today:

oLXs1VB.png

I'm assuming this would simply be JavaScript? He obviously didn't click "ok", thankfully.

In the address bar it contained our location and ISP, but I'm wondering if there's any real reason to be concerned?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My dad encountered this popup earlier today:

oLXs1VB.png

I'm assuming this would simply be JavaScript? He obviously didn't click "ok", thankfully.

In the address bar it contained our location and ISP, but I'm wondering if there's any real reason to be concerned?
Yeah it's just JavaScript. And I doubt clicking okay would do any harm. What would happen is a page would load that looks like a "repair" program and would count up on a progress bar until it hit 100% at which point it would give him a phone number to call where the scammer can get his card number.

Good thing he's smarter than that. How did he close it though without saying OK?

Moreche

Absolutely loving my first OSX device, my MacBook Pro 13 but coming from Windows, is it true that when uninstall something from Finder does it fully remove everything or does it leave remnants of the app/program?

chadskin

Absolutely loving my first OSX device, my MacBook Pro 13 but coming from Windows, is it true that when uninstall something from Finder does it fully remove everything or does it leave remnants of the app/program?

Deleting the app should get rid of the program data but there are sometimes temporary/personal files saved somewhere else. AppCleaner gets rid of these, too, give it a try: http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

chadskin

I just received the first beta of PDF Expert for Mac, along with a features overview:
  • Great annotation tools that are just one click away
  • Advanced page management (extract pages, reorder, rotate, merge PDFs and much more)
  • Side by side view - work with two files at the same time
  • Multiple tabs to quickly switch between files
  • Beautiful interface (yet powerful enough to do what you need)
  • Familiar and great experience across all devices (Mac and iOS)
  • Handoffs and continuity are coming soon- start it here (iPad) and finish it there (Mac).

It's still buggy and they say the UI's not final yet but it's shaping up to be a powerful, fantastic tool. Can't wait for this to be released publicly.

EmiPrime

I just received the first beta of PDF Expert for Mac, along with a features overview:

It's still buggy and they say the UI's not final yet but it's shaping up to be a powerful, fantastic tool. Can't wait for this to be released publicly.

It crashes whenever I try to open preferences. Seems pretty decent so far otherwise.

Xun

Yeah it's just JavaScript. And I doubt clicking okay would do any harm. What would happen is a page would load that looks like a "repair" program and would count up on a progress bar until it hit 100% at which point it would give him a phone number to call where the scammer can get his card number.

Good thing he's smarter than that. How did he close it though without saying OK?
I believe he restarted the Mac because Safari reloaded the page after force quitting.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I believe he restarted the Mac because Safari reloaded the page after force quitting.
Did it still do it again after rebooting? If he has another device and has iCloud turned on you can close tabs remotely. Also disabling JavaScript would work. And I bet there's a key press you can use while launching Safari that will make it forget opened tabs.

I love JavaScript but it really can be used for evil when in the wrong hands.

Also disabling JavaScript would work.

Can't do that while the JavaScript alert is in the way, the stupid application blocks. Time-honoured bullshit in browsers.

I bet there's a key press you can use while launching Safari that will make it forget opened tabs.

Option? You can also just turn off networking and launch Safari and it won't be able to load the page. Then close the window and turn networking back on.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Can't do that while the JavaScript alert is in the way, the stupid application blocks. Time-honoured bullshit in browsers.

Option? You can also just turn off networking and launch Safari and it won't be able to load the page. Then close the window and turn networking back on.
Yeah. Dialogue boxes really should be attached to the tab these days with the ability to switch when one is open. Same with file select dialogs. Nothing modal should ever prevent access to the other tabs.

And turning off internet is a great idea. But would Safari still load the cache? Either way the page is definitely not going to harm the machine. It's all a facade. So turning off networking would still prevent it from phoning home or something. Doesn't matter. JavaScript can't hurt you. It can just give you information to make you hurt yourself if you're ignorant. I'm sure if he clicked okay it would just pretend to do something before giving you a positive "yes there's like a million viruses on your Mac so you need to call us now!" message.

I'd love to know the URL he was on.

Oh and if the tab was unfocused when the browser relaunches it can be easily closed. It's just the stupidity of making modal dialogs take over the entire browser UI in 2015. Apple would do well to make it so dialogs are modal to the tabs and the close button can still be used.

Oh! And I just thought of one more thing. You can use Activity Monitor to force quit a specific tab. As long as he can figure out which process is the tab. Worst comes to worst just force quit all the processes. They'll all turn into sad icons and he can then close it freely. A luxury I didn't have when I got stuck in a JavaScript dialog loop on Firefox a few years ago because FF doesn't use processes for tabs yet.

Xun

Did it still do it again after rebooting? If he has another device and has iCloud turned on you can close tabs remotely. Also disabling JavaScript would work. And I bet there's a key press you can use while launching Safari that will make it forget opened tabs.

I love JavaScript but it really can be used for evil when in the wrong hands.
Found out he didn't actually restart the computer, but when he went back onto Safari he had the option to quit it (which was inaccessible the first time due to the dialogue box).

Yeah. Dialogue boxes really should be attached to the tab these days with the ability to switch when one is open. Same with file select dialogs. Nothing modal should ever prevent access to the other tabs.

And turning off internet is a great idea. But would Safari still load the cache? Either way the page is definitely not going to harm the machine. It's all a facade. So turning off networking would still prevent it from phoning home or something. Doesn't matter. JavaScript can't hurt you. It can just give you information to make you hurt yourself if you're ignorant. I'm sure if he clicked okay it would just pretend to do something before giving you a positive "yes there's like a million viruses on your Mac so you need to call us now!" message.

I'd love to know the URL he was on.

Oh and if the tab was unfocused when the browser relaunches it can be easily closed. It's just the stupidity of making modal dialogs take over the entire browser UI in 2015. Apple would do well to make it so dialogs are modal to the tabs and the close button can still be used.

Oh! And I just thought of one more thing. You can use Activity Monitor to force quit a specific tab. As long as he can figure out which process is the tab. Worst comes to worst just force quit all the processes. They'll all turn into sad icons and he can then close it freely. A luxury I didn't have when I got stuck in a JavaScript dialog loop on Firefox a few years ago because FF doesn't use processes for tabs yet.
He went to sainburys.co.uk instead of sainsburys.co.uk.

It then redirected him to 'apple.com----macupdate.co/healthcheck/VIRUS_FOUND etc etc'

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Hey all,

I've never posted in here before, but I tend to follow Apple hardware and am the current owner of a couple Apple devices. I need some help, and I thought this might be a place where I could ask this question. I'll take collective silence as a sign that I was wrong (no worries!).

I have a mid-2010 15" Macbook Pro whose hard drive (500 GB, 7200 RPM) seems to be on its way out. I'd rather replace it now than wait for it to completely crash. I'm looking into buying a replacement drive (perhaps a 500 GB SSD or 750 GB/1 TB SSHD), but I'm beginning to come across some technical lingo that I don't really know. I've done some limited Googling to look up compatibilities but haven't had much luck yet.

Does anyone have any knowledge and/or suggestions for what kind of drive I can or should put in? Is such a move advisable?

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: To be clear, I have looked at iFixit and saw their recommendations. I noticed that they don't carry a 500 GB SSD, though. I also am not sure I trust myself enough to handle the installation, so I might pay someone to do it.

Fuchsdh

Hey all,

I've never posted in here before, but I tend to follow Apple hardware and am the current owner of a couple Apple devices. I need some help, and I thought this might be a place where I could ask this question. I'll take collective silence as a sign that I was wrong (no worries!).

I have a mid-2010 15" Macbook Pro whose hard drive (500 GB, 7200 RPM) seems to be on its way out. I'd rather replace it now than wait for it to completely crash. I'm looking into buying a replacement drive (perhaps a 500 GB SSD or 750 GB/1 TB SSHD), but I'm beginning to come across some technical lingo that I don't really know. I've done some limited Googling to look up compatibilities but haven't had much luck yet.

Does anyone have any knowledge and/or suggestions for what kind of drive I can or should put in? Is such a move advisable?

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: To be clear, I have looked at iFixit and saw their recommendations. I noticed that they don't carry a 500 GB SSD, though. I also am not sure I trust myself enough to handle the installation, so I might pay someone to do it.

Any SATAII or SATAIII SSD in a 2.5" form factor should work. Crucial and Samsung make quality SSDs, OWC has good ones too (although they're a bit technically obsolete at this point). You don't really need to get the newest and shiniest SSDs on the block (Samsung EVO 850s, for instance) because you won't get the full saturation anyhow on your Macbook Pro's 3GBps connection.

If you have the screwdrivers, the hard drive swapping is pretty painless. I'd suggest just watching a guide, making sure your hands are clean and you're grounded, and going for it. It'll be satisfying to do it yourself and a lot cheaper. I've swapped the drives on those computers before sight unseen and had no issues.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Any SATAII or SATAIII SSD in a 2.5" form factor should work. Crucial and Samsung make quality SSDs, OWC has good ones too (although they're a bit technically obsolete at this point). You don't really need to get the newest and shiniest SSDs on the block (Samsung EVO 850s, for instance) because you won't get the full saturation anyhow on your Macbook Pro's 3GBps connection.

If you have the screwdrivers, the hard drive swapping is pretty painless. I'd suggest just watching a guide, making sure your hands are clean and you're grounded, and going for it. It'll be satisfying to do it yourself and a lot cheaper. I've swapped the drives on those computers before sight unseen and had no issues.

Great! Thank you so much! I'll see if I can build up the confidence to open up my computer.

I'm looking on Amazon and thinking about getting the Crucial MX 200 500 GB SSD. Everything on Amazon seemed to be around that price, but I'm open to other suggestions if I'll be overpaying by getting that. I currently have about 350 GB used on my computer, so hopefully sticking with 500 GB isn't a bad idea (I'll be switching to a new computer in a year and keeping this one for a few functions, so I don't anticipate that I'll be adding much more to its memory).

Fuchsdh

Great! Thank you so much! I'll see if I can build up the confidence to open up my computer.

I'm looking on Amazon and thinking about getting the Crucial MX 200 500 GB SSD. Everything on Amazon seemed to be around that price, but I'm open to other suggestions if I'll be overpaying by getting that. I currently have about 350 GB used on my computer, so hopefully sticking with 500 GB isn't a bad idea (I'll be switching to a new computer in a year and keeping this one for a few functions, so I don't anticipate that I'll be adding much more to its memory).

Doing upgrades yourself is always a bit nerve-wracking at first, but as long as you're taking precautions and aren't rough it's really not that bad. Just go slow and make sure you put your screws someplace they won't disappear when you go to reassemble things :)

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Doing upgrades yourself is always a bit nerve-wracking at first, but as long as you're taking precautions and aren't rough it's really not that bad. Just go slow and make sure you put your screws someplace they won't disappear when you go to reassemble things :)

Thanks for the reassurance. Looking into everything—how to install the hard drive; how to make an El Capitan installer; how to install El Capitan on an unformatted, blank hard drive already in my computer—is pretty stressful, but I'm hoping it'll work out. I'm still a little uncertain of the details (e.g., how will my computer know what to do at first if the hard drive is blank with no OS and unformatted?), but I figure if I read enough guides and follow them closely enough, it'll work out. I also figure I can put the old hard drive back in if something goes wrong. This process has me nervous, but I'm sure once I complete it once, it'll seem easy.

I appreciate your help!

EDIT/UPDATE: After doing a lot of manual cleaning to prep for the transfer, I managed to clean up my hard drive enough that Disk Repair was able to function and everything now seems to be running fairly smoothly. Maybe I'll be able to push off the HDD replacement for a few more months. Regardless, thanks for the advice!

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I got an Apogee One audio interface today. Holy shit. The difference in sound quality on my Audio-Technica ATH-50x compared to the audio jack on my MacBook Pro 15' Retina is amazing. I don't consider myself to be an audiophile and I did not expect that big and obvious of a difference.

I got an Apogee One audio interface today. Holy shit. The difference in sound quality on my Audio-Technica ATH-50x compared to the audio jack on my MacBook Pro 15' Retina is amazing. I don't consider myself to be an audiophile and I did not expect that big and obvious of a difference.

Yeah, it's huge. People comment how good I sound in voice chat in games/Skype because I have a condenser mic plugged into one.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Not going to lie, the Surface Book has me considering making the switch more than I've ever been tempted before.

I adore my 15" rMBP with 750M. It's a fantastic laptop with lots and lots of power, a breathtaking display, and some chops for light gaming in Windows when I'm on the road.

When the SB was first unveiled, I fully expected the DGPU to be somewhere in the 940M range - so I'm not disappointed, per se. However, all the internet hype and lack of information really started having me thinking they somehow were going to magically cram a 960M+ into the chassis. Obviously that didn't happen, and so there's not quite enough for me to consider switching now.

However, Apple as of late makes me fearful of what they're going to do with the top end rMBP next year. I could see them really cheating out on the GPU. The 750M was never anything decent; but their newest AMD option is a slap to the face, and was an even worse pick than just going up to the 950M. Meanwhile, Dell just squeezed a 960M into their XPS without issue.

Plus their desire to go thin makes me worry about battery life, quad core options, and my keyboard. Basically, what I'm fearful is that the next MBP might get crippled.

The new Mac Pro, for example, was originally presented as a "return to form." But after so long on the market, it's clear it's a step down from the Mac Pro of ol' in many ways.

The Surface Book, on the other hand, really has gotten just about everything right. I love the 3:2, the build quality, the touch screen with a pen. The keyboard and trackpad are finally competitive. It has some extra functionality as a tablet. Honestly, had it had a slightly better GPU and a real quad core, non-ULV option, it really would have been a perfect laptop.

... ... save for the lack of OSX, of course.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
See. OS X will always be the drawing factor for me. No matter how good Windows gets.

Yeah - and El Capitan, along with the integration with iOS is just phenomenal. FaceTime and phone calls on my phone and my laptop and my iMac. Writing an email and finishing it on my phone as I leave. Writing long messages on iMessage on my computer. Apple Music playlists and music across devices. Photo stream.

I agree. OSX and iOS have matured a lot in the last year. In many ways, OSX feels "done," as crazy as that sounds. (Still some changes I'd like to see on iOS). And being able to dual boot solves the gaming issue - when I travel, I very often boot up in Windows so I can play TF2 or Dark Souls or whatever else.

And for that, I agree - I'm just too dang attached to the Mac ecosystem. With that said, though - if the next rMBP doesn't knock it out of the park, I'd by lying if I said I won't consider switching anyway. I like Windows 10 enough, and the Surface Book reminds me of Apple's older hardware in many ways - some things that are a bit odd, a bit against the grain; but truly, almost no compromise and in a league of its own.

Fuchsdh

The 370X isn't that much weaker than the 950M, and considering AMD's offerings continue to be better at operations and OpenCL, I can see why Apple went with them.

I definitely think eGPUs are the answer to pretty much all of Apple's GPU complaints, though. I mean it'll definitely save me money if by the time I get a Mac Pro I can just get the weaker GPU options and then later upgrade externally if I need to.

Nvidia's made peeps and squawks about working with Apple, though. Who knows if it's just the usual bake-offs, or they're actively working on something. They certainly are supporting old Mac Pro users longer than I expected.

EmiPrime

My loyalties lie with OS X, it's one of the few tech related things I feel really passionate about. I have a Windows 10 virtual machine and while it's a big improvement on 8, it's still Windows and for me everything in Windows takes longer to do than in OS X and the aesthetics aren't as good. I just find it exhausting to use.
I even prefer Finder to File Explorer 99% of the time!

That said the SurfaceBook and the little hub that turns a Windows Phone into a mini desktop computer are genuinely innovative and cool and are the sort of thing I wish Apple would be into. I like where Microsoft are going even though I won't be joining them.

giga

My main interest with the SB is the dgpu in a 13" form factor. Intel iris is making big strides though so i can live with it.

Fuchsdh

My loyalties lie with OS X, it's one of the few tech related things I feel really passionate about. I have a Windows 10 virtual machine and while it's a big improvement on 8, it's still Windows and for me everything in Windows takes longer to do than in OS X and the aesthetics aren't as good. I just find it exhausting to use.
I even prefer Finder to File Explorer 99% of the time!

That said the SurfaceBook and the little hub that turns a Windows Phone into a mini desktop computer are genuinely innovative and cool and are the sort of thing I wish Apple would be into. I like where Microsoft are going even though I won't be joining them.

How Windows 10 doesn't have smooth, clean looking text in 2015, going on 15 years since OS X has had it, still baffles me.

EmiPrime

How Windows 10 doesn't have smooth, clean looking text in 2015, going on 15 years since OS X has had it, still baffles me.

It's a lot better than it used to be in some cases (going back and forth between Tiger and Windows XP when bootcamp was new was really jarring) but yeah it's still not there yet. Some of the font rendering is really poor and Japanese text is barely legible on Windows while it looks beautiful on OS X.

I don't like their use of colour either. Google and Apple understand flat design and that it doesn't work if the typefaces are all wrong, space is poorly used and dull colours are chosen but Microsoft just don't get it. The greens and blues Microsoft use for their squares are terrible.

I have no experience with the Apogee One, but I can absolutely relate to the difference between onboard audio versus a good external device.
I've been using an Audioengine D1 for years now, and it's been wonderful. I can really tell the difference when I have to use my MacBook's onboard audio when I'm away from home.

Just got a new MBP, the best of the 13" models. I know the Skylake Pros may be coming soon, but it also may be another six months and I my old 2007 black Macbook is hanging on by a thread.

So far I LOVE this machine. After being stuck on Lion for so long, it's going to take me a minute to get used to all the new functionality. But man, it just feels like I'm flying while I use this thing.

Fuchsdh

I'd forgotten until I got a refurb 2014 MBP how much I missed having a laptop after 18 months without one. I still do most of my work on my Mac Pro but sometimes it's just nice to recline somewhere else and switch up my environment. Plus, the battery life stomped my "maybe five hours if you're extra-careful" usage on my old Pro. Hopefully I'll have this machine for the better part of a decade and see how well it performs in the future.

Still funny to have so many people (especially Apple pundits) react so viscerally whenever they talk about a 15" size though. Even my old pre-unibody never felt that big to me, and I had no problem taking it around with me to classes and workshops.

Futureman

how do YA'LL clean your MacBook screens?

After reading about the screens peeling on some 15" rMBPs, I'm a little worried. I just use some microfiber clothe I have for my camera lenses.

Top Bottom