• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

foltzie1

Am i the only one loving the Magic Mouse? I use it everyday. I have no idea why it feels awesome because it checks all the boxes for worst mouse ergonomics ever.

obama-mac-reddit1.jpg
At least one other guy likes it enough to use instead of the trackpad.

The iMac update is fascinating. Even as recently as a year or two ago, you couldn't have convinced me to get an iMac. I was dead set against it. I wanted a new Mac mini. I still would like a new Mac mini, but the 4K iMac is changing things.

I would almost want to save up for it now except next year the Iris Pro 580 is going to be a pretty big boost over the Iris Pro 6200. I would also like a computer that takes 32 GB of RAM instead of just 16 GB even though my needs only require no more than maybe 8 GB. My only gripe with the 27" iMacs is the lack of nVidia discrete cards.

Fuchsdh

The iMac update is fascinating. Even as recently as a year or two ago, you couldn't have convinced me to get an iMac. I was dead set against it. I wanted a new Mac mini. I still would like a new Mac mini, but the 4K iMac is changing things.

I would almost want to save up for it now except next year the Iris Pro 580 is going to be a pretty big boost over the Iris Pro 6200. I would also like a computer that takes 32 GB of RAM instead of just 16 GB even though my needs only require no more than maybe 8 GB. My only gripe with the 27" iMacs is the lack of nVidia discrete cards.

The GPU stuff is interesting. As of now Nvidia's gone from Apple's setup entirely, which isn't unprecedented. But Apple usually flip-flops pretty regularly. I wonder if AMD is desperate enough they're willing to cut much better deals than Nvidia and we'll see Apple keep with them more. The lack of a dGPU in the 21" as a top-of-the-line option is pretty surprising to me, but I guess is just following the precedent of Apple's notebooks. You'll get a GPU in the top-of-the-line MBP, iMac, and Mac Pro from now on, and nowhere else.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I've tried using a magic trackpad, but it's a bit of a nonstarter for editing or AE work.

I've been using a Wacom tablet recently when precision is necessary, even for non-drawing workflows. Especially the smaller Wacom tablets can be a great substitution for mouse/trackpad.

Fuchsdh

I've been using a Wacom tablet recently when precision is necessary, even for non-drawing workflows. Especially the smaller Wacom tablets can be a great substitution for mouse/trackpad.
I know a lot of people who do this, but I haven't been able to get into it. I break out my tablet when I need to draw and that's it.

Ninja Dom

Apple need to now refresh their Thunderbolt Display monitors. These things are starting to look a bit sorry with their 1440p displays.

Also do you reckon we'll see a Mac Mini refresh so it can also pump out 4K? Would that be eating into low end Mac Pro sales?

ElTorro

Apple need to now refresh their Thunderbolt Display monitors.

Yeah. I never understood why they hadn't released a 4k version. 5k has issues with the available Thunderbolt bandwidth. But that should not have stopped them from providing a 4k version in the meantime.

Fuchsdh

Apple need to now refresh their Thunderbolt Display monitors. These things are starting to look a bit sorry with their 1440p displays.

Also do you reckon we'll see a Mac Mini refresh so it can also pump out 4K? Would that be eating into low end Mac Pro sales?

I mean, it'll happen next rev no matter what (unless they just scrap it completely), the current once can already do 4K@30Hz. Just depends when they'll actually update it. Seems likely since they didn't refresh it now it'll come sometime after the 13" MBPr refresh.

Yeah. I never understood why they hadn't released a 4k version. 5k has issues with the available Thunderbolt bandwidth. But that should not have stopped them from providing a 4k version in the meantime.

Only thing I can think of is that they want to release it with a Type-C connector.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I was the same way until last years late Mac mini update. I was so excited to see what they were going to do with the mini hoping for integrated flash across the line and nice fast speeds all around. Then it came out. And it was shit.

Then I saw a refurbished top of the line 27" iMac current model and weighed my options. I decided instead of getting a mediocre Mac mini and having to use my current low resolution 20" 2005 ACD with it's way too dim screen and 1680x1050 resolution or having to get a separate display (Which would have been an Apple display either way) I just bit the bullet and got the iMac. I love it. I could never go back unless they did go the all flash route with the mini. Until they do I'm on team iMac.

The GPU stuff is interesting. As of now Nvidia's gone from Apple's setup entirely, which isn't unprecedented. But Apple usually flip-flops pretty regularly. I wonder if AMD is desperate enough they're willing to cut much better deals than Nvidia and we'll see Apple keep with them more. The lack of a dGPU in the 21" as a top-of-the-line option is pretty surprising to me, but I guess is just following the precedent of Apple's notebooks. You'll get a GPU in the top-of-the-line MBP, iMac, and Mac Pro from now on, and nowhere else.

I could see them arguing that there's no need for a dGPU in the high-end 21" if they were using Skylake, but with a dated processor, it's a hard sell.

How are Intel's GPU drivers these days, by the way? For both gaming and compute? I know compute benchmarks often gave Intel a lead (at least in efficiency, IIRC?), but has that lead gotten larger, and are more apps supporting Intel GPUs for acceleration?

Fuchsdh

I could see them arguing that there's no need for a dGPU in the high-end 21" if they were using Skylake, but with a dated processor, it's a hard sell.

How are Intel's GPU drivers these days, by the way? For both gaming and compute? I know compute benchmarks often gave Intel a lead (at least in efficiency, IIRC?), but has that lead gotten larger, and are more apps supporting Intel GPUs for acceleration?

Can't speak to the larger world of programs, but modern Intel GPUs are acceptable for acceleration in AE and Premiere, and Metal works on everything back to the HD4000 series.

What disappoints me about the 21" losing the dGPU is that I always thought it'd be great for the 21" to work on its own—you chose what size you wanted, and then you chose your options, rather than the 21" being the low-end, and the 27" the one you needed if you wanted a powerful machine. I'd much rather have the smaller footprint of the 21", especially since you can now get a razor-sharp, excellent display in that size. But you have to accept no dGPU and no easily accessible RAM as part of that bargain now.

ElTorro

It's a bit ridiculous that Steam on Mac still does not support retina resolutions for the store.

Hatty

My mom's 2009 white macbook was stolen and I was wondering if the 2012 mac mini is a good mom computer? She pretty much used the macbook as a desktop already and I know the 2014 model is trash but the 2012 should be fine for Facebook and stuff like that right?

GWX

My mom's 2009 white macbook was stolen and I was wondering if the 2012 mac mini is a good mom computer? She pretty much used the macbook as a desktop already and I know the 2014 model is trash but the 2012 should be fine for Facebook and stuff like that right?

The 2014 model isn't trash, it just has two shortcomings the original didn't suffer from: lack of expandable RAM and being dual-core only. I don't think any of those shortcomings will be issues to your mother, if I'm honest. Picking the 2012 or the 2014 model, just make sure you get one with flash storage: the HDDs Apple uses on the minis (and iMacs) are terribly slow, enough to drive your mom mad, even if she isn't too tech-savvy.

Hatty

Yeah I don't mind the non upgradable RAM. But I thought there was some HDD tomfoolery where it couldn't be swapped easily. Is this not the case?

GWX

Yeah I don't mind the non upgradable RAM. But I thought there was some HDD tomfoolery where it couldn't be swapped easily. Is this not the case?

I don't think any Mini has an easy-to-replace HDD, at least the unibody ones. You have to take the whole thing apart to reach the HDD, and you need the proper tools for it.

Yup, I used to do it before I got my trackpad. Decided getting one since it was 1) a lot smaller and 2) gestures!

Fuchsdh

I don't think any Mini has an easy-to-replace HDD, at least the unibody ones. You have to take the whole thing apart to reach the HDD, and you need the proper tools for it.

Yeah. It's pretty straightforward, but it's a fair amount of steps that requires near-total disassembly to reach the lower drive bay. They made it more difficult in the newest model because there's security screws locking down the whole thing whereas before you just unscrewed the bottom to add more RAM or whatnot.

jcutner

Got a weird issue with my girlfriend's Mac. (2011-2012 MacBook Pro I think)

A while ago I put in my old Crucial M4 SSD to replace her HDD. Running fine, etc. Only recent change was updating to El Capitan, but more or less worked fine since then.

When starting it up last night, it was sitting on this screen.

only, that there is no progress on that bar at all. Just sits there empty.

I can actually access all the files on the drive, when I plug it in externally in an enclosure, so all the data is still there - just won't boot. (I cloned the drive to an external HDD just in case - that also wouldn't boot after the clone)

I figured since it's an old Crucial M4, I updated the firmware because I remember hearing boot failures with them. Finally did the firmware update, but no change.

I ran Disk Utility on it, and it claims the disk is fine, so I'm not sure what to do now apart from reformat or get a new HDD, and use the data migration tool to bring over the user profile, etc.

Halp!

jcutner

Boot in verbose mode (hold cmd-v as it boots) and see where the robot-barf stops, and Google that.

For some reason, the progress bar goes to 55% now, and stalls.

Command+V once I choose it (still booting as an external) - I get this

22008530079_5f4194f3c1_c.jpg

Also,

I tried another HDD in the Mac, and it boots. I tried the faulty SSD in my own Mac, and it fails to boot as well, to rule out hardware issues.

You said it is a MacBook Pro; that screen says it is an Air. Also, appears to have had a kernel panic which seems to be why it isn't booting.

Are you sure it is booting from external HDD? You are holding option to choose boot device?

Things to try:
Boot with shift key down. If it works it will boot very slowly in safe mode, which disables kernel extensions that may be fucking it up.

Boot with cmd-r to see if it will boot from recovery partition or in Internet recovery.

(Not at the same time)

jcutner

You said it is a MacBook Pro; that screen says it is an Air. Also, appears to have had a kernel panic which seems to be why it isn't booting.

Are you sure it is booting from external HDD? You are holding option to choose boot device?

Things to try:
Boot with shift key down. If it works it will boot very slowly in safe mode, which disables kernel extensions that may be fucking it up.

Boot with cmd-r to see if it will boot from recovery partition or in Internet recovery.

(Not at the same time)

I have the external drive plugged into an Air at work (holding Option to boot off the USB). The MacBook Pro is at home. I don't know if I should be expecting it to boot/work on an Air if it works on another MacBook.

Edit: Shift key didn't seem to make a difference
Cmd+R eventually brings up time machine, reinstall OS X or disk utility. No option for recovery partition or internet recovery.

I have the external drive plugged into an Air at work (holding Option to boot off the USB). The MacBook Pro is at home. I don't know if I should be expecting it to boot/work on an Air if it works on another MacBook.

It should, it was just a difference between what you posted in text and in the screen shot :p

Cmd+R eventually brings up time machine, reinstall OS X or disk utility. No option for recovery partition or internet recovery.

Then you got the recovery partition, which the OS put on the ass end of the disk. As I said in my last post, I would erase the problematic disk, install the OS fresh and then migrate from the backup (the problem is very unlikely to be in anything it will migrate).

EmiPrime

Can't speak to the larger world of programs, but modern Intel GPUs are acceptable for acceleration in AE and Premiere, and Metal works on everything back to the HD4000 series.

What disappoints me about the 21" losing the dGPU is that I always thought it'd be great for the 21" to work on its own—you chose what size you wanted, and then you chose your options, rather than the 21" being the low-end, and the 27" the one you needed if you wanted a powerful machine. I'd much rather have the smaller footprint of the 21", especially since you can now get a razor-sharp, excellent display in that size. But you have to accept no dGPU and no easily accessible RAM as part of that bargain now.

It's a huge letdown for me too. 27" is far too big for me on top of a second monitor, 21" however is perfect. I think Apple are being pretty stupid about this as generally speaking those who want a 21" iMac are going to buy a 21" iMac, they're not going to be up-sold to a 27" just for a dGPU. Forcing customers to compromise like that isn't going to build much good will. Luckily I intend to keep this iMac for at least another 5 years and maybe something will change between now and then.

Fuchsdh

It's a huge letdown for me too. 27" is far too big for me on top of a second monitor, 21" however is perfect. I think Apple are being pretty stupid about this as generally speaking those who want a 21" iMac are going to buy a 21" iMac, they're not going to be up-sold to a 27" just for a dGPU. Forcing customers to compromise like that isn't going to build much good will. Luckily I intend to keep this iMac for at least another 5 years and maybe something will change between now and then.

At this point, it's more likely that eGPUs become a thing with TB3. Which is actually fine by me if they work well, because I'd be fine swapping my GPU between my portable and desktop machines depending on the project or game.

EmiPrime

At this point, it's more likely that eGPUs become a thing with TB3. Which is actually fine by me if they work well, because I'd be fine swapping my GPU between my portable and desktop machines depending on the project or game.

I would be totally fine with that too. No different than an external HDD really.

Fingers crossed that pans out as a viable option.

Fuchsdh

I would be totally fine with that too. No different than an external HDD really.

Fingers crossed that pans out as a viable option.

Intel certainly seems to have put the effort into it with TB3, and it's possible to do now with TB2, albeit with more potential bandwidth bottlenecks. I guess it's up to either Apple to offer support, and/or vendors to provide drivers similar to how Nvidia offers a web driver for non-Apple-offered GPUs.

Rukes

The front page still gets no respect
Having an odd problem, all of a sudden the CoverFlow browsing option is missing when adding files through a web browser (Firefox and Chrome) such as adding a photo on Twitter.

8xcDHpi.png

Any idea how to get it back?

On El Capitan, but I think it worked fine before too.

ElTorro

That's weird. I have El Capitan, and I still have cover flow in the Finder.

Fuchsdh

As long as the model has an SSD the model year really doesn't matter much.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
As long as the model has an SSD the model year really doesn't matter much.
Yup. A SSD will make a much bigger difference than a couple processor generation gap. My dads 2010 MBP with an off the shelf SSD feels faster than my 2014 iMac with HDD. And that's a quad core i7. The MBP is a Core 2 Duo. Man it's been a while since I had to type that. Feels so weird.

EmiPrime

Intel certainly seems to have put the effort into it with TB3, and it's possible to do now with TB2, albeit with more potential bandwidth bottlenecks. I guess it's up to either Apple to offer support, and/or vendors to provide drivers similar to how Nvidia offers a web driver for non-Apple-offered GPUs.

If Apple/intel don't screw it up it sounds like TB3 could be the most important Mac hardware update since the SSD and 64bit intel. 2016 should be very interesting!

Having an odd problem, all of a sudden the CoverFlow browsing option is missing when adding files through a web browser (Firefox and Chrome) such as adding a photo on Twitter.

8xcDHpi.png

The bigger question is why are the icons not horizontally centered in those buttons. D:

omgkitty

Bought the Magic Mouse 2 and I hate it. Doing gestures on the mouse are a pain and the low profile is an annoyance. I bought it online and Apple's site says I can return it to the Apple Store. Is that a pretty painless experience?

jcutner

It should, it was just a difference between what you posted in text and in the screen shot :p

Then you got the recovery partition, which the OS put on the ass end of the disk. As I said in my last post, I would erase the problematic disk, install the OS fresh and then migrate from the backup (the problem is very unlikely to be in anything it will migrate).

Did a fresh install, then the user migration app to pull from the backup - worked like a charm. Back up and running! Thanks for your help and moral support!

ShowDog

Ifixit tore down the new iMac and the hdd/ssd is no longer replaceable along with the usual soldered in ram and processor. The fusion drive flash has also been reduced from 128gb to 24gb. Buyer beware and all. It's such a bummer compared to the original MacBook and the iMacs of years past, especially since the physical exterior of the device hasn't changed in years to require such sacrifices.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

8xcDHpi.png

Aww, you're lucky. I'd give anything for the Coverflow option to finally disappear on my computer too.

Oh wait, it's only in file selection dialogs? Damn, I thought they were finally dropping it for good once and for all.

I can confirm it does not exist on my end too. I'm sure they removed it from file browser dialogs. Hopefully as a sign that they're phasing it out slowly. (Next step, removing it from the Finder)

I don't understand why it ever needed to exist outside a clever little show-off gag to make your album art look neat. It's inferior to both icon view and list view combined. I never understood why Apple bought it. Maybe one day it'll finally disappear. I'd much rather just have Icon, List and Column view.

Bought the Magic Mouse 2 and I hate it. Doing gestures on the mouse are a pain and the low profile is an annoyance. I bought it online and Apple's site says I can return it to the Apple Store. Is that a pretty painless experience?
You should have gotten the Trackpad. No Mac user should get the Mouse.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
See, I have a Macbook Pro, so joke's on me right?
Do you not like the trackpad on your computer? Because I can't even stand using even a normal mouse now.

I believe they'll have a restocking fee if you take it back but you should be allowed within 14 days last I checked.

Servbot24

Banned
Am i the only one loving the Magic Mouse? I use it everyday. I have no idea why it feels awesome because it checks all the boxes for worst mouse ergonomics ever.

It's great. Ergonomics don't apply to it - anyone actually tried to make their hand conform to the shape of the mouse is completely missing the point.

If you don't need it now, I'd wait til next year. This year's update was pretty marginal.

EmiPrime

Ifixit tore down the new iMac and the hdd/ssd is no longer replaceable along with the usual soldered in ram and processor. The fusion drive flash has also been reduced from 128gb to 24gb. Buyer beware and all. It's such a bummer compared to the original MacBook and the iMacs of years past, especially since the physical exterior of the device hasn't changed in years to require such sacrifices.

That sucks, the RAM and the SSD in the old 21" were replaceable if you had the patience to open up the iMac. So many compromises for no gain.

See, I have a Macbook Pro, so joke's on me right?

I am perfectly okay using trackpads while away from home but when I am at my desk I definitely prefer a mouse. Gaming on a trackpad is impossible. Steelseries and Razer do good mice, forget about the Apple one.

dark_chris

Need some help.
Got a Macbook Pro that is stuck on the login screen when you try to type a password. I don't really know what to do. Can anyone help?
Using Yosemite

EmiPrime

Need some help.
Got a Macbook Pro that is stuck on the login screen when you try to type a password. I don't really know what to do. Can anyone help?
Using Yosemite

Do you have a backup you can restore from?

Can you boot into safe mode? (hold shift when you power on your system)

dark_chris

Do you have a backup you can restore from?

Can you boot into safe mode? (hold shift when you power on your system)

I don't think i have a backup to restore from.
Also, I can boot into safe mode but won't let me click on either the name or "Other User". It just freezes there.

giga

New iWork update opens iWork 08 and 11 documents, like it should have from the beginning. Also finally shows recently used fonts.

Top Bottom