• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Fuchsdh

I just bought a 2015 13 MacBook Pro with Retina last week. It's my first Mac ever and I was wondering if it's normal to hear some noise while it's in use? It's on the right hand side. If you place your ear near the keyboard. It's not the fan, but maybe a tiny audible electrical noise? I thought it could be the cpu.

Anything that doesn't sound like fan noise is something you should probably check out. Nothing else should be making noise, especially not some electrical whine.

Deku Tree

What do you do if you have a 2007 fully tricked out Mac Pro that still works great and runs really fast but you can't install the latest OS X on it? So you don't get the software updates for the vulnerabilities...

I was just talking to my friend who is in this situation. He couldn't install Yosemite or Mavericks or Mountain Lion or Lion either...

Sucks that Apple stopped supporting the Mac Pro unless you have Early 2008 or newer... They've been going all the way back to Early 2008 forever, but why did they draw the line at 2008? My friend says says El Capitan just says "Error Wrong number Etc!" when he tries to install it, won't even let him.

Blackhead

Redarse
What do you do if you have a 2007 fully tricked out Mac Pro that still works great and runs really fast but you can't install the latest OS X on it? So you don't get the software updates for the vulnerabilities...

I was just talking to my friend who is in this situation. He couldn't install Yosemite or Mavericks or Mountain Lion or Lion either...

Sucks that Apple stopped supporting the Mac Pro unless you have Early 2008 or newer... They've been going all the way back to Early 2008 forever, but why did they draw the line at 2008? My friend says says El Capitan just says "Error Wrong number Etc!" when he tries to install it, won't even let him.

Instal Linux!

But seriously, thats the problem of using Macs. You could try VMware etc to run a modern OS but it's time to upgrade

Deku Tree

Instal Linux!

But seriously, thats the problem of using Macs. You could try VMware etc to run a modern OS but it's time to upgrade

2007 is almost a decade ago. Might be time to look into a replacement to be honest. That's a pretty good life for a computer these days.

That's not really my question though.

Apple has had the line drawn at the early 2008 Mac Pro for a long time, and they haven't dropped support for it in their latest OSX updates. They dropped OSX support with their latest OS for the 2007 Mac Pro fairly quickly.

My question is does anyone know why the Early 2008 model?

Fuchsdh

The 1,1 and 2,1 have 32 bit EFIs, which is why they aren't officially supported by newer versions of OS X. Plenty of people have tricked out their computers to run 10.X and beyond though. Just takes a bit of fiddling.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2006-2007-mac-pro-1-1-2-1-and-os-x-yosemite.1740775/'

EDIT: Beaten :)

Deku Tree

The 1,1 and 2,1 have 32 bit EFIs, which is why they aren't officially supported by newer versions of OS X. Plenty of people have tricked out their computers to run 10.X and beyond though. Just takes a bit of fiddling.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2006-2007-mac-pro-1-1-2-1-and-os-x-yosemite.1740775/'

EDIT: Beaten :)

Thanks for the link! I gave it to my friend... he was really happy to see that. Even though its a 2007, the machine with a 34 inch monitor is still pretty beastly for his purposes and he has no plans to get rid of it. So he was very happy to hear that you can side load El Capitan on it.

I simply bought a used 2008 Mac Pro after I got tired of not having iMessage on my 2006.

SSDs + PC Video card means its still plenty fast for what I need of it, and is heaps faster in moment-to-moment use than the 2010 Mac Mini I have at work.

kaskade

This sucks. I have a Mid 13 MBA. The thing runs really well still. I'm just itching for a retina screen. Is it really worth it at this point? I guess we'll have to see what they come out with this year.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I want to get more RAM for my iMac. Right now I have two 4GB sticks that came with it and two 4GB sticks that I stole from my Mac mini. But I want to put those back in the mini and put more RAM in the iMac. If I only get the 16GB bundle off Crucial, which is two 8GB sticks, can I still put them in the iMac with the two 4GB sticks and have 24GB? Or does the iMac need the sticks to be uniform?

This sucks. I have a Mid 13 MBA. The thing runs really well still. I'm just itching for a retina screen. Is it really worth it at this point? I guess we'll have to see what they come out with this year.
Of course it's worth it. But I'd say just wait. Who knows what they'll put out this year. My favorite part of having a Retina display is that I can set the resolution higher than the "recommended" and it won't look like shit. I set my 15" MBP to 1920x1200 HiDPI. It's glorious.

Deku Tree

I want to get more RAM for my iMac. Right now I have two 4GB sticks that came with it and two 4GB sticks that I stole from my Mac mini. But I want to put those back in the mini and put more RAM in the iMac. If I only get the 16GB bundle off Crucial, which is two 8GB sticks, can I still put them in the iMac with the two 4GB sticks and have 24GB? Or does the iMac need the sticks to be uniform?

Of course it's worth it. But I'd say just wait. Who knows what they'll put out this year. My favorite part of having a Retina display is that I can set the resolution higher than the "recommended" and it won't look like shit. I set my 15" MBP to 1920x1200 HiDPI. It's glorious.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't need to be uniform. I had to two 2GB sticks and two more 4GB sticks in my 2009 iMac for years and no problems. in any case I'm sure if you use crucial's tool on their webpage that will tell you whether or not it will work.

Borinot

Are u sure you can't install lion? I have a 2006 macbook with lion installed. Normally is the lastest for old mac's.

Deku Tree

Are u sure you can't install lion? I have a 2006 macbook with lion installed. Normally is the lastest for old mac's.

No I am not sure I was going by what I saw on Wiki-pedia, and I may have misread it because I was doing it quickly. I am talking about a friends computer, so I am not directly using it too.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm pretty sure it doesn't need to be uniform. I had to two 2GB sticks and two more 4GB sticks in my 2009 iMac for years and no problems. in any case I'm sure if you use crucial's tool on their webpage that will tell you whether or not it will work.
Crucial doesn't seem to have any warnings about it not working so I assume there's no problem. Good to know.

Now if only I were confident enough to pull off an SSD installation I'd do that too. (Why couldn't they just put an access panel for that on the top-end model too?)

mrkgoo

The ram doesn't have to be uniform but it does work better if the paired slots carry the same matching ram.

mrkgoo

Oh wow 32 bit lol. Makes sense now.

Was going to chime in, yeah 32-bit. Same with 2007 MacBook pros which stop at lion also.

I had a 2008 MBP which probably would run El Capitan if it were actually still going.

According to mac tracker which is pretty good, it says 2007 Mac Pro latest OS X is lion.

My wife's old 2008 plastic MB can have lion installed also.

X-Frame

Does anyone here sell their Mac after a few years of use and then buy a new one using that money?

I'm still using a 2010 MBP and while it is basically better than new (custom SSD and more RAM), it is suffering from a GPU crashing issue the last few months. Still, I got tons of mileage out of it and will be buying the top of the line 15" once they refresh the line.

My question is, how many years after a purchase would it still sell used for a good amount? I doubt I would get much of anything for my 2010, but if it was a 2012 or 2013 model maybe I could?

Fuchsdh

Does anyone here sell their Mac after a few years of use and then buy a new one using that money?

I'm still using a 2010 MBP and while it is basically better than new (custom SSD and more RAM), it is suffering from a GPU crashing issue the last few months. Still, I got tons of mileage out of it and will be buying the top of the line 15" once they refresh the line.

My question is, how many years after a purchase would it still sell used for a good amount? I doubt I would get much of anything for my 2010, but if it was a 2012 or 2013 model maybe I could?

I sold my $2500 15" MBP 2008 for $500 in 2013. Looks like that's what 2010 15" are going for these days on eBay.

There's probably a slight curve to prices because the older models can still be upgraded partially, as opposed to the more sealed-in retina models. It's certainly why Apple is still selling that 13" non-retina model. Additionally, after a certain period some Mac models gain price because they become collectors items or machines useful for running as old rigs for the people who like old tech—hence why the late-model G5's command a surprising price, for instance.

Deku Tree

Hi X-Frame! I never sell mine. I keep them until they're done and then I put them out for recycling. Especially the modern ones with SSD's in them and healthy amounts of RAM. I even have an old 2008 MBP that I keep in a drawer in case I have some dire need for a disk drive which I otherwise don't have on my main computer.

mrkgoo

Like the 2011 machines, the 2010 had a Potential GPU issue that there was once a quality program to replace the logic board. However, that ship has sailed. Personally, I would never buy a second-hand 2010 15" model, as it could crap out any second. This obviously makes assessing it as a good resale product very difficult and is not any comment on resale value of macs in general.

2012 and 2013 15" retina potentially have an issue too, but are currently "protected" by a quality program. Conversely, if someone were to sell a "dead" one of those due to GPU issues for ultra cheap I would consider getting it and having Apple repair it.

japtor

Crucial doesn't seem to have any warnings about it not working so I assume there's no problem. Good to know.

Now if only I were confident enough to pull off an SSD installation I'd do that too. (Why couldn't they just put an access panel for that on the top-end model too?)
Which iMac is it? TB would be ideal of course, but if you have USB 3 that'll still provide a noticeable improvement with a SSD.

Checked with Apple on the GPU crashing? There's been recall/repair programs for that kind of thing over the years, might as well check it out. Otherwise check eBay for loose comparables, I bet a 2010 can still net some decent money (barring the whole GPU crashing thing) cause as long as it's still working it's still decent enough for a lot of usage. The main thing to remember is that the other option for people is a newer or new machine, the resale value is usually good cause Apple keeps the baseline high.

Anyway personally I've been using Mac minis (which have ridiculous resale value at times cause there's not much room to move down from), so they're easy to keep around. My 2006 went from my work machine, to my mom's work machine, to my server machine. That'll be its last tour of duty (cause it's been long out of software support), just waiting on a new mini to replace it went day. I have a 2009 model that is now my HTPC/DVR, another 2009 that became my work machine, and my current main one from 2011...which I'm sure will figure out some use for if not just replace one of the older ones.

If I had any other Mac I think I'd sell them off or give them to family probably (hell same with the minis at some point, I'm reaching Mac mini saturation!), maybe set one up as a guest machine for anyone to use. I had my brothers old MacBook just in the kitchen for years like that. Everyone has phones or tablets now so it's not as useful, but a desktop OS comes in handy now and then.

X-Frame

Wow, so many responses!

I sold my $2500 15" MBP 2008 for $500 in 2013. Looks like that's what 2010 15" are going for these days on eBay.

There's probably a slight curve to prices because the older models can still be upgraded partially, as opposed to the more sealed-in retina models. It's certainly why Apple is still selling that 13" non-retina model. Additionally, after a certain period some Mac models gain price because they become collectors items or machines useful for running as old rigs for the people who like old tech—hence why the late-model G5's command a surprising price, for instance.

Interesting. I suppose then my 2010 wouldn't be worth trying to sell. I might as well keep it as a backup just in case or pass to a family member.

I use them until they're too slow for something I want to do. Certainly lots of people buy new and sell in 18 months to fund another new one.

Same here. I had an 2008 C2D MacBook which eventually just couldn't keep up with HD video work so I got the 2010 MBP and it was an incredible upgrade. Plus the 2008 kept flipping my videos upside down and Apple had no idea why it did that. I still don't know what was going on.

Hi X-Frame! I never sell mine. I keep them until they're done and then I put them out for recycling. Especially the modern ones with SSD's in them and healthy amounts of RAM. I even have an old 2008 MBP that I keep in a drawer in case I have some dire need for a disk drive which I otherwise don't have on my main computer.

Yo Deku! I have been doing that too and will with this one it seems. I'll just keep this as a backup. Honestly it has run so well for me that the only time I felt like I really needed an upgrade was when the Retina screens came out. Other than that and new ports, the 2010 was more than enough for my needs once I upped the RAM and put in an SSD. It's only with this silly GPU panic issue that I'm really looking forward to the new ones.

Like the 2011 machines, the 2010 had a Potential GPU issue that there was once a quality program to replace the logic board. However, that ship has sailed. Personally, I would never buy a second-hand 2010 15" model, as it could crap out any second. This obviously makes assessing it as a good resale product very difficult and is not any comment on resale value of macs in general.

2012 and 2013 15" retina potentially have an issue too, but are currently "protected" by a quality program. Conversely, if someone were to sell a "dead" one of those due to GPU issues for ultra cheap I would consider getting it and having Apple repair it.

Agreed, don't think it'd be worth to sell mine now. Once I upgrade though I still do think it may be worth it for me to take this 2010 to Apple and get the GPU issue fixed, unless the cost is outrageous. With that fixed I can see this running strong for another several years. It was a maxed out top of the line 2010 MBP when I bought it.

Checked with Apple on the GPU crashing? There's been recall/repair programs for that kind of thing over the years, might as well check it out. Otherwise check eBay for loose comparables, I bet a 2010 can still net some decent money (barring the whole GPU crashing thing) cause as long as it's still working it's still decent enough for a lot of usage. The main thing to remember is that the other option for people is a newer or new machine, the resale value is usually good cause Apple keeps the baseline high.

Anyway personally I've been using Mac minis (which have ridiculous resale value at times cause there's not much room to move down from), so they're easy to keep around. My 2006 went from my work machine, to my mom's work machine, to my server machine. That'll be its last tour of duty (cause it's been long out of software support), just waiting on a new mini to replace it went day. I have a 2009 model that is now my HTPC/DVR, another 2009 that became my work machine, and my current main one from 2011...which I'm sure will figure out some use for if not just replace one of the older ones.

If I had any other Mac I think I'd sell them off or give them to family probably (hell same with the minis at some point, I'm reaching Mac mini saturation!), maybe set one up as a guest machine for anyone to use. I had my brothers old MacBook just in the kitchen for years like that. Everyone has phones or tablets now so it's not as useful, but a desktop OS comes in handy now and then.

Yeah I'll take this to Apple to check and fix once I get one of the new inevitable MBP's this year, definitely -- it would just depend on the cost to fix if I go through with it. Some threads on this issue say $750 for a regular repair or $350 for a "Depot Repair". I'd be fine with the latter.

I definitely agree that it can still work well for years and especially for family members or friends if needed. Though I may just keep it as a backup should anything happen to my new one.

Thank you everyone!

They're not going to update it anytime soon, given that the replacement for .ac wireless is not yet standardized or proliferating.

There have still been advancements with 802.11ac since the current devices' release that could warrant an upgrade. I wouldn't hold your breath, however.

mrkgoo

Wow, so many responses!

Interesting. I suppose then my 2010 wouldn't be worth trying to sell. I might as well keep it as a backup just in case or pass to a family member.

Same here. I had an 2008 C2D MacBook which eventually just couldn't keep up with HD video work so I got the 2010 MBP and it was an incredible upgrade. Plus the 2008 kept flipping my videos upside down and Apple had no idea why it did that. I still don't know what was going on.

Yo Deku! I have been doing that too and will with this one it seems. I'll just keep this as a backup. Honestly it has run so well for me that the only time I felt like I really needed an upgrade was when the Retina screens came out. Other than that and new ports, the 2010 was more than enough for my needs once I upped the RAM and put in an SSD. It's only with this silly GPU panic issue that I'm really looking forward to the new ones.

Agreed, don't think it'd be worth to sell mine now. Once I upgrade though I still do think it may be worth it for me to take this 2010 to Apple and get the GPU issue fixed, unless the cost is outrageous. With that fixed I can see this running strong for another several years. It was a maxed out top of the line 2010 MBP when I bought it.

Yeah I'll take this to Apple to check and fix once I get one of the new inevitable MBP's this year, definitely -- it would just depend on the cost to fix if I go through with it. Some threads on this issue say $750 for a regular repair or $350 for a "Depot Repair". I'd be fine with the latter.

I definitely agree that it can still work well for years and especially for family members or friends if needed. Though I may just keep it as a backup should anything happen to my new one.

Thank you everyone!

What i was trying to say is that there was a program that was repairing the faulty GPU logic boards for free, but that program has ended.

Potentially the 2010 MBP is not even repairable any more. The system registers machines older than about 5 years as unsupported and thus possibly no parts being available for any repairs. I think it's ok for now but may enter that status soon.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Which iMac is it? TB would be ideal of course, but if you have USB 3 that'll still provide a noticeable improvement with a SSD.
I would run from Thunderbolt if I could but they're still so expensive. I can't believe they haven't come down in price significantly.

I booted my original Mac mini from FireWire 400 back in the day and it was still faster than the hard drive inside. I wore the FW port out doing that.

I'd much rather install one inside but I don't know if I could take it apart and still get it back together myself. If only I knew someone who could do it for me.

What i was trying to say is that there was a program that was repairing the faulty GPU logic boards for free, but that program has ended.

Potentially the 2010 MBP is not even repairable any more. The system registers machines older than about 5 years as unsupported and thus possibly no parts being available for any repairs. I think it's ok for now but may enter that status soon.

7 years, if you're in California. Plus some other exceptions

But yeah, 2010 is approaching obsolete in Apple's systems

I'm trying to install Windows 10 on my Late 2014 5K iMac. Boot camp copies the files to the USB on the OSX side, and then I partition the HD. It then restarts right back into OSX, I have to wait there and hold OPTION and tell it to boot into Windows. It then starts to install Windows, and I can get to the Windows desktop. At which point boot camp installs the drivers, but it gets stuck at the audio (Realtek) drivers and stays there forever. I have to restart, and then Windows starts up normally, but I don't have audio, and later, things like are not working right. For example, menu items on the START menu are scrambled and illegible.

Any ideas? I've tried reinstalling (erasing the partition) twice with the same results.

Thanks!

Shun

My Early 2011 MBP is still going strong. might want to replace the battery but other than that things have been pretty good on my end.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I just bought a 2015 13 MacBook Pro with Retina last week. It's my first Mac ever and I was wondering if it's normal to hear some noise while it's in use? It's on the right hand side. If you place your ear near the keyboard. It's not the fan, but maybe a tiny audible electrical noise? I thought it could be the cpu.

I've had my 2015 rMBP since August and I've never ever heard any sound from it. Not even the fan, the fan has never turned on.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Is there any reason to take a Thunderbolt HDD over a USB3 HDD? The price differences are still enormous.

Admodieus

Does anybody know of an elegant solution to allow both my Macbook Pro and my work Windows laptop to use the same monitor and peripherals (keyboard/mouse) and perhaps speakers as well? I looked at some KVM switches and they have poor reviews or old/legacy ports (VGA instead of HDMI). A thunderbolt monitor seems ideal but my work laptop is a Lenovo W540 and the Thunderbolt port on it only seems to work for a display, not pass through for peripherals.

Just trying to redesign a home office without a mess of wires and cables everywhere.

Deku Tree

Is there any reason to take a Thunderbolt HDD over a USB3 HDD? The price differences are still enormous.

unless your buying a TB SSD, or using a lot of bandwidth at once, then IMO buying a Thunderbolt HDD over a USB3 HDD is kind of silly. Doubt there is much of a speed improvement for normal users, seems like the speed of the HDD is the real bottleneck.

Shiggy

Is the Thunderbolt Ethernet Adapter worth it over the USB adapter? I got the latter from my sister (she's doesn't need it anymore), but I could also get the Thunderbolt adapter for 5 EUR.

Deku Tree

Is the Thunderbolt Ethernet Adapter worth it over the USB adapter? I got the latter from my sister (she's doesn't need it anymore), but I could also get the Thunderbolt adapter for 5 EUR.

Do you think your gonna use it? Do you care about spending the 5 EUR on something that you may or may not use just in case because it's cheap?

Shiggy

Do you think your gonna use it? Do you care about spending the 5 EUR on something that you may or may not use just in case because it's cheap?

My dormitory won't have WiFi, so I will need an ethernet adapter. I will definitely need an adapter, so I am just wondering which to go for.

Top Bottom