• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Capture One is a lot closer UI-wise to Aperture than Lightoom is; just haven't spent enough time with it.

If the Nik plug-ins worked with Photos, I might give it a shot. Photos also needs star ratings to be useful. Motoring through 500 photos with ratings and smart albums is a fantastic way to get the few out that I will spend time editing and then exporting.

Photoshop is fine for Photoshop; I haven't used my own photo file structure in a decade and don't plan on returning to it, so it is out as workflow goes.

mrkgoo

Ugh tell me about it.

I'm a big aperture fan and have for years honed my workflow with aperture. I'm glad it still works and I quietly hope it continues to work with is updates, but I'm under no realistic delusion that it will do so.

To be honest, it's such a big deal to me that I'm willing to forego OS updates to maintain aperture compatibility.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well, The T key has compleTely died on my MacBook Pro. I'm Typing This by pasTing in a copied capiTal T. I fucking swear This had beTTer noT cosT an arm and a leg To fix. I don't have Time To go To an Apple Store soon.

Plus reseTTing The SMC didn't fix my rebooTing problem eiTher.

Vashetti

Banned
Well, The T key has compleTely died on my MacBook Pro. I'm Typing This by pasTing in a copied capiTal T. I fucking swear This had beTTer noT cosT an arm and a leg To fix. I don't have Time To go To an Apple Store soon.

Plus reseTTing The SMC didn't fix my rebooTing problem eiTher.

Now you jusT look like a PopGAF poster.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Not if I switch to pasting in a lowercase t instead. Or jus sop using he leer all ogeher. Acully ha might be more entraining. A leas auodorrec fixes some of he mistakes. And rally fucks up he others.

I just made an appointment for Apple Support to call me tomorrow at 7PM. I'll ask them my options then and hopefully make an appointment with the closest Apple Store on Sunday. I really hope it doesn't cost a lot just for a keyboard.

Maybe at the same time I can mention the rebooting problem (Low priority and not an issue that makes the machine unusable) and my two missing laptop feet. (Lower than the other problem. And I still have the feet. If only I had glue.

Is there anything I should do before taking it in? Aside from backing up of course. I already do that religiously anyway.

japtor

Not that I do any photo management, but how's AfterShot Pro? Just mentioning it cause I remember some generally favorable impressions when the last major version came out, which iirc happened to be right around when Aperture became officially dead.

mrkgoo

I haven't bothered to upgrade my MP to 10.11— I deliberately didn't and now I've mostly forgotten that I haven't.

I'm using El Capitan and Aperture.

Not if I switch to pasting in a lowercase t instead. Or jus sop using he leer all ogeher. Acully ha might be more entraining. A leas auodorrec fixes some of he mistakes. And rally fucks up he others.

I just made an appointment for Apple Support to call me tomorrow at 7PM. I'll ask them my options then and hopefully make an appointment with the closest Apple Store on Sunday. I really hope it doesn't cost a lot just for a keyboard.

Maybe at the same time I can mention the rebooting problem (Low priority and not an issue that makes the machine unusable) and my two missing laptop feet. (Lower than the other problem. And I still have the feet. If only I had glue.

Is there anything I should do before taking it in? Aside from backing up of course. I already do that religiously anyway.

What computer do you have? Keyboards on laptops are typically an entire top case replacement, if it's not just the keycap.

Blackhead

Redarse
I know it comes up every few weeks, but I seriously can't stop thinking about where Apple is going to take the 15" rMBP.

It's so clear that they just hate dedicated GPUs. First it got taken out of the 13" completely. The 17" doesn't even exist. And the iMacs use AMD cards when Nvidia is arguably the better pick (I know, I know... only for games).

You have to really pay to play to get dedicated graphics on the 15". I bought the late 2013 15" with 2GB 750M when it first got announced, and it's been a fantastic laptop ever since. But it's finally - just now - starting to feel a little dated.

I will absolutely upgrade to the new rMBP 15" - but it must have a decent dedicated GPU. A 2GB 950M is what I think we'll get and what I expect; but there's no reason they shouldn't be able to match the 4GB 960M in the XPS 15.

But there's this piece of me that really fears we're gonna get no GPU at all, or they're going to throw some crap AMD card in the unit.

I really think if they don't do a dGPU, I'll get a Skylake 12" MB, and then a seperate gaming laptop that will be leaps and bounds better at games, anyway.

Theoretically Apple would offer an external Thunderbolt GPU enclosure to pair with a 12"/14"/16" MacBook/Air (or with any other Mac) if they get rid of internal dedicated GPUs... right?

I need some advice: my MacBook Air's (13" Mid 2012) display is broken. Long story short: my brother dropped it, the display would go in and out, and now it's cracked. I'm taking it to the Apple Store to see how much it would cost to repair. It seems like the cost is upwards towards $600 when I search online. If I were to do it myself, it would be about $300-$400, but it seems that stock is limited for this display unit (I'm only able to find used B-stock units, which may have some cosmetic wear).

What would GAF do? Have Apple repair it, DIY repair, or save my money and learn from my mistakes? I could always hook it up to a monitor, but seems useless since I already have a desktop setup at home lol.

Deku Tree

I need some advice: my MacBook Air's (13" Mid 2012) display is broken. Long story short: my brother dropped it, the display would go in and out, and now it's cracked. I'm taking it to the Apple Store to see how much it would cost to repair. It seems like the cost is upwards towards $600 when I search online. If I were to do it myself, it would be about $300-$400, but it seems that stock is limited for this display unit (I'm only able to find used B-stock units, which may have some cosmetic wear).

What would GAF do? Have Apple repair it, DIY repair, or save my money and learn from my mistakes? I could always hook it up to a monitor, but seems useless since I already have a desktop setup at home lol.

I would have apple install it, or look for a cheaper third party Apple authorized repair place. But that's me. MBA is a tough machine to get in and out of unless your very savvy at that kind of stuff. Could end up breaking other stuff. Take a look at the tear downs.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.

$600 dollars to repair a 2012 MBA is absurd. At this point you might as well just save up and buy the next gen MacBook Pro or Air.

japtor

Theoretically Apple would offer an external Thunderbolt GPU enclosure to pair with a 12"/14"/16" MacBook/Air (or with any other Mac) if they get rid of internal dedicated GPUs... right?
Theoretically yes (or GPU dock/non expandable box like Intel showed off before), but there's no signs of that and doesn't really fit their pattern of how they do things so who knows. In any case people have gotten external GPUs working in OS X so worst case it'll probably still be possible with hacks like that in the future.

Take it to the Apple Store to check it, the ideal is if they offer you the depot repair where they send it off to get checked out and fixed up. It's a flat rate, might vary by machine but basically around $300 afaik. Some examples here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2728068?start=0&tstart=0

X-Frame

Anyone know why Reeder 3 for Mac forces the discrete GPU? I thought the Reeder 2 for Mac beta was updated to allow for the integrated GPU to be used.

Is there a setting that I can turn on/off on Reeder 3 to allow the integrated GPU to be used? Thanks!

$600 dollars to repair a 2012 MBA is absurd. At this point you might as well just save up and buy the next gen MacBook Pro or Air.

Take it to the Apple Store to check it, the ideal is if they offer you the depot repair where they send it off to get checked out and fixed up. It's a flat rate, might vary by machine but basically around $300 afaik. Some examples here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2728068?start=0&tstart=0

I took it to the Apple Store yesterday. They offered me a depot repair for $480 + taxes (in CA, so about $530). I took the offer. I did consider pocketing the money and buying a new one, but to be honest, I don't use this laptop as often as I did before when I was in school and I'm most likely to give this to my parents or my girlfriend. =P

Two software questions:

1: I'm being hit by that bug from a little while ago that is preventing any apps purchased from the MAS from opening on my machine. I've done a few reboots and signed in and out of iCloud, but nothing is working. Is it just me, or is this another certificate bug like last time? Any suggestions?

2: Is there a way, on a per app basis, to prevent them from remembering window locations or last opened window? Terminal always opens in the wrong spot on my monitor and I can't for the life of me get it to open where I want it to. Also, while I want some apps to open and restore their previous session on launch, I don't want other apps to.

Fuchsdh

Where is the new Skylake mini? : [

It should be out by now. I guess I will be getting a Skull Canyon NUC by April.

Apple's not in a rush with any of its lines, really. We'll probably get an update in the fall, or at some point after the 13" MBPs get refreshed (since they've been pretty similar in terms of innards for a while, aside from better processor options.)

Now half of my MAS apps work, and half don't. Clocks doesn't load. Reeder doesn't load. Echofon loads. 1Password loads.

What the hell is going on. Urg.

Edit: Oh, goodie, the only way to get this working is to delete every MAS application, reinstall it, and start it up. wtf.

Delicious Library won't load. So help me if I have to use a backup file. wtf.

Edit: Oh, goodie, the only way to get this working is to delete every MAS application, reinstall it, and start it up. wtf.

Delicious Library won't load. So help me if I have to use a backup file. wtf.

You getting hit by the busted certificate error? None of the applications will store data in their bundle, so it is only the time it takes to redownload the affected apps that you're going to lose (unless you pay for bandwidth). Still— annoying as fuck.

kaskade

So my GF said she'd by my Mid 13, 13" air in the summer if I want to get a Retina laptop. Between that and my dad said he'd toss in some for my college graduation I might as well. I'd probably lean towards the pro at this point since I'm not sure if I like the tradeoffs with the Macbook at the moment. Hopefully they bump the low end storage up to 256 with the pro, 128 seems pretty low for a "pro" device. Then again 256 is too.

What it rumored for these things anyway? I remember an article a little while ago saying they'll be probably doing a bit of a redesign since it's been a while but what could they really do? USB C stuff?

japtor

That wasn't even the only one.
So my GF said she'd by my Mid 13, 13" air in the summer if I want to get a Retina laptop. Between that and my dad said he'd toss in some for my college graduation I might as well. I'd probably lean towards the pro at this point since I'm not sure if I like the tradeoffs with the Macbook at the moment. Hopefully they bump the low end storage up to 256 with the pro, 128 seems pretty low for a "pro" device. Then again 256 is too.

What it rumored for these things anyway? I remember an article a little while ago saying they'll be probably doing a bit of a redesign since it's been a while but what could they really do? USB C stuff?
For the MBPs? TB3/USB-C is the only obvious thing, they could just replace the TB2 ports, or go full redesign and trim down the footprint and remove/replace more ports and whatever else. Or do both, one all new machine and one last update for the outgoing one, like the 2012 MBP (or current MBA if you view the MB as its successor).

Deku Tree

Skylake processors has to happen. Maybe USB-C and TB3. Faster PCI-e SSDs? I don't know a lot about what is rumored at the moment if anything TBH.

Even the current machines are really really fast for normal users who may not do say video editing work and push the computers to their extremes, and even the one you can buy today will most likely remain really really fast for many years to come.

The biggest speed bottleneck that was broken in the last 10 years was the move to SSD from HDD.

I always Check here for the rumors: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Retina_MacBook_Pro

New form factor
UHD Ready
P3 Color Screens
Much better GPU
USB Type-C

kaskade

That wasn't even the only one.

For the MBPs? TB3/USB-C is the only obvious thing, they could just replace the TB2 ports, or go full redesign and trim down the footprint and remove/replace more ports and whatever else. Or do both, one all new machine and one last update for the outgoing one, like the 2012 MBP (or current MBA if you view the MB as its successor).

Skylake processors has to happen. Maybe USB-C and TB3. Faster PCI-e SSDs? I don't know a lot about what is rumored at the moment if anything TBH.

Even the current machines are really really fast for normal users who may not do say video editing work and push the computers to their extremes, and even the one you can buy today will most likely remain really really fast for many years to come.

The biggest speed bottleneck that was broken in the last 10 years was the move to SSD from HDD.

I always Check here for the rumors: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Retina_MacBook_Pro

If it wasn't for a retina screen I really wouldn't feel the need to upgrade my Air for what I do with it. I like the form factor, no idea if they are going to do away with the Air as the Macbook seemed to take over that line. The Pro seems like a nice middle ground between form factor and a good amount of power.

How do the retina screens look in work in real life scenarios? They've been out for a few years now so I assume webpages and programs are made to scale and look sharp for the most part? I saw you can adjust the scaling so you can make everything a bit smaller which seems nice to have a bit more real estate.

I wouldn't mind that space grey either.

Deku Tree

If it wasn't for a retina screen I really wouldn't feel the need to upgrade my Air for what I do with it. I like the form factor, no idea if they are going to do away with the Air as the Macbook seemed to take over that line. The Pro seems like a nice middle ground between form factor and a good amount of power.

How do the retina screens look in work in real life scenarios? They've been out for a few years now so I assume webpages and programs are made to scale and look sharp for the most part? I saw you can adjust the scaling so you can make everything a bit smaller which seems nice to have a bit more real estate.

I wouldn't mind that space grey either.

Retina looks really really good.

There seem to be two categories of people. One category says "retina... I don't see a difference". The other category says "non-retina screens hurt my eyes". Best for you to go to a store and check them out.

The MacBook is really a early adopter test computer right now.

Fuchsdh

New form factor
UHD Ready
P3 Color Screens
Much better GPU
USB Type-C

Good point on the P3 color screens. As for UHD... are you referring to higher density screens, or 4K output? Because the latter is possible now.

GPUs will get a nice boost, if not as big as the difference from 4000–5000 series. Hopefully AMD steps it up with their new chips for the discrete GPUs.

Fuchsdh

UHD Ready was me summarizing possible HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0a, and some level of h.265 acceleration.

Mmm. Well, we'd probably see indications in the OS before hardware dropped if hardware HEVC acceleration was coming. Skylake supports HDMI 2.0, but I don't think it's any higher a spec than that (and even then the 4K@60Hz support is via DisplayPort so you need an adapter.)

So I was thinking, in terms of stuff I really want from 2016... obviously new Macs, but I just want them to kill off the 2012 non-retina Macbook Pro and make fusion drives (even if it's only with 24GB of flash like the 1TB drives they have now) standard across the line. Pure 5400 RPM drives and 2012 tech belong in 2012.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is there a proper way to disable the built-in keyboard? I know theres a terminal command. But reading the thread about tit shows people having problems reenabling it later on. And some suggest disconnecting the cable. I'm also afraid the command might be out of date since the thread is from 2008.

Right now I'ver just been using an external Apple keyboard and setting i ton top and using it like normal, but occasionally it hits a key and the T key on the internal keyboard circuit board keeps getting stuck occasionally. So Id rather disable it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/can-i-disable-internal-keyboard-trackpad-on-mbp.433407/

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If the .kext doesn't exist anymore it can't be unloaded— not sure there's much to be lost by trying. You've got a bootable system disk/image to restore the relevant system files from if you really fuck it up, surely?
Of course I do. I'm Abed. I've got multiple backups. I'll check and see if it's still there first if I decide to. It's getting to the point keys on the internal keyboard are interfering with my external key presses.

Edit: I've had second thoughts about this. Im assuming that since the newer MacBooks have their power button as a key as well it's going to be a problem if I need to shut down my machine since I have that weird rebooting problem as well. So I'd be screwed if I can't shut it down. And it doesn't seem I can use the Eject key on my external keyboard as a power button. Man, why is my super expensive machine falling apart slowly? This is ridiculous. If I'd bought AppleCare I'd at least have over half a year left and a quick trip to Tienda de Manzanas and it'd be fixed up good as new.

thats not what Id need though. I'd need a power key for when the computer is already stuck in a shutdown loop. I don't know if Ctrl+Eject would apply there. I'll try it though.

Given that the power key can turn the Mac on when it's off then it's not going to be controlled by a .kext— software that is only running after the OS has booted (sufficiently far).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Given that the power key can turn the Mac on when it's off then it's not going to be controlled by a .kext— software that is only running after the OS has booted (sufficiently far).
Do you think the power key might be completely separate from the rest of the keyboard? When does the .kext get loaded? Since the keyboard needs to be usable from as soon as the power is supplied. And if I unload it, does it get reloaded at reboot?

I don't know when the kexts are loaded; at a guess the firmware has a way to get input from the keyboard even if the OS doesn't, since you use it to select boot volumes/zap nvram/unlock whole-disk-encryption, etc.

japtor

Power key is a hardware thing afaik (or at least lower level than the regular system software), which is why they're able to force off the machine when locked up.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm just weary of fucking something up and having to restore. Especially with the keyboard flaking out and sending random key presses now.

Edit: Now for something completely different...

Ever since iTunes gained iCloud purchase redownloading, a lot of my purchases are screwed up. I have all the original songs I downloaded way back in the day on my machine now, but iTunes displays a second copy as being on the cloud. In a few cases the songs are both the same information. For instance:
VZvdVpP.png
In this case the song on the cloud is the same as the one on my machine. If I download i the file name is the same. Both are "Protected" files. (Which I don't get because why do they still keep protected versions? Just download the non-DRM version and forget the stupid $.30 fee.) And the metadata is identical. But I don't know why it somehow unlinked the file and thinks it's not existent on my machine. Because that's what's happening here.

Then there's the case of music that has been changed on the iTunes Music Store servers. Notice in this screenshot:
Notice how the iCloud version of each song has a different album name. But the same artwork. Like they changed the title for some reason. And in at least one instance, changed the length of the track. Or some have different published years attached to it now like "Deacon Blues" by Steely Dan from the Aja album which used to be 1999 and is now 1977.

I think I can fix this by meticulously going through each group of two and:
  1. Downloading the iCloud version to my disk. Which creates a copy of the song in the same location but appends a "1" to the end of it.
  2. Setting iTunes to Repeat One and playing the iCloud version over and over (By clicking at the end of the track and letting it repeat before clicking again) to get the playcount back up to the original. Then click the Love button or set the Star rating if needed.
  3. Deleting the old one from my machine which also removes its entry in iTunes.
  4. Rename the file in the Finder to remove the extra "1" at the end because of my obsessiveness.
But that's going to be a lot of work. So stupid.

Meh3D

Especially after Apple "quietly" launching a program to repair defective video cards in Mac Pros, like hell if I'm buying anything with an AMD card in it. I'm team nVidia all the way.

I don't get this mentally. Especially with NVidia having the worse recall ever, across several manufactures simultaneously.

Coincidentally my work MacBook Pro 15 2012 Retina with the 650m just had its logic board replaced because of the GPU crapping out.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So I went ahead and ran the keyboard disabling command. No more problems for me now and I'll just keep this external keyboard on top of it until I can get it fixed. But man up until I finally did it it was really becoming a problem. The T was sticking so much that when I tried to type a capital T with the external keyboard it wouldn't let me. And when I rebooted, it would think I wanted to enter Thunderbolt Target Mode. And while in apps it would constantly hit T so it would fuck up some websites like Twitter that use T as a command to retweet, or making the T type on a delay when I was typing.

But I am still weary of rebooting as I don't know if the power key will stop working like the rest of the keyboard since I require it to reboot. So I'll have to keep the reenabling command on hand and turn it back on when I need to reboot since if the power key does not work when I reboot with the keyboard disabled, I'll literally have to leave the computer sit on the black frozen screen with the power unplugged until the battery runs down since I can't remove it to force it to power off.

Top Bottom