• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

LeleSocho

Banned
Do we still think that Apple are going to be unveiling the new MBPs at the March event? Every time I read a rumour about it, it's about the new iPad and iPhone that appear to be all-but-confirmed now, but never anything about what could be coming in the new Pro line.

I've got the money for a new 13"er burning a hole through my pocket, but I'm increasingly thinking I'm going to end up disappointed.

90% new MBP won't be at March event

Anyone have a 2015 MacBook Retina?

Im slightly talking to someone about trading my 64 GB iPad Air 2 and a crappy lenovo laptop for the baseline space gray...

I've given up trying to get an older Macbook Pro

Fuchsdh

90% new MBP won't be at March event

People always freak out when there aren't lots of rumors about the Macs, but the Macs are boring.

On the other hand, it's somewhat surprising there aren't *some* leaks out there.

I'd say 30% chance they're at this event, 20% they're stealthed sometime in the spring, and the remaining 50% they get WWDC'd.

Deku Tree

I have a 2011 MBA 11" i7 with 8gb ram and a 256gb SSD and it's still a champ for doing normal computing. Boots fast. Loads everything really fast. Don't see many or any spinning wheels.

LeleSocho

Banned
People always freak out when there aren't lots of rumors about the Macs, but the Macs are boring.

Aside iPhone the Mac is the most interesting product to me.
I say new MBPs are at WWDC only if they don't have a new design but it's been 4 years since the rMBP being unveiled and i would expect them to do something new at this point in time and since there are no leaks they will in my opinion be at the September event.

Fuchsdh

Aside iPhone the Mac is the most interesting product to me.
I say new MBPs are at WWDC only if they don't have a new design but it's been 4 years since the rMBP being unveiled and i would expect them to do something new at this point in time and since there are no leaks they will in my opinion be at the September event.

They are and probably always will be the most interesting product line for Apple for me personally, but the wider world cares a lot more about the iOS lines and so that's where the intense speculation and market for leaks comes from. Much more of an audience when there's a hundred million iOS devices being sold versus five million Macs.

I mean Apple managed to keep a lot of its recent product devs a secret—from the redesigned Mac Pro to the riMac; any "leaks" were really just common sense deductions, compared to seeing basically the entire phone disassembled a month before the new phone intro.

Dachande

Are they your primary computers? I still love my 2011 i7 11" as a secondary Mac. Thinking about replacing the battery but that's it.

Yep, it's been my main computer since near the end of 2011. Had a battery replacement and a touchpad replacement or two (all for free from Apple) but it's truckin' along. I don't really do much gaming on it, I have consoles for that.

I have a 2011 MBA 11" i7 with 8gb ram and a 256gb SSD and it's still a champ for doing normal computing. Boots fast. Loads everything really fast. Don't see many or any spinning wheels.

Uh, 4GB was the max for (or I would have 8). Do you have a 2012?

Think there's any chance it's a false positive? And if not, what do I do? It directs me to the files in Finder, but there are other files there too.

Delete them? It's not like your Mac is running Win32 code or could run them, so at worst you're hanging onto files that might infect a Windows install and at best files you can't use anyway.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
MpFdVUX.png
How long should my MacBook last me ? I got it about 5 months ago, like in August. I was thinking of selling it when the next gen MacBook Pro's come out, but I don't think I'll be in a financial position to upgrade this year, because I want to get a 15" version. The laptop is practically brand new and I think I'll get a good 2-3 years out of it, but I always want the latest and newest thing.

Deku Tree

Uh, 4GB was the max for (or I would have 8). Do you have a 2012?

Delete them? It's not like your Mac is running Win32 code or could run them, so at worst you're hanging onto files that might infect a Windows install and at best files you can't use anyway.

Sorry I have a 2013 MBA 11" i7 with 8gb ram. I confused it with my 2011 MBA 13" with 4gb ram. I do notice a big difference with the extra 4gb ram for sure.

How long should my MacBook last me ?

Depends on what you do with it and what other computers you use to measure it against. As I wrote above I still love my 2011 MacBook Air which I use for writing and coding and network sysadmin stuff. It is a billion times faster than the Core 2 Mac Mini I have on my desk at work but not as fast as my 2008 Mac Pro.

Sorry I have a 2013 MBA 11" i7 with 8gb ram. I confused it with my 2011 MBA 13" with 4gb ram. I do notice a big difference with the extra 4gb ram for sure.

I worried about the 4GB, but it hasn't ever been a problem with how I use it. I am normally pretty militant about closing things, though I have left a ton of things open for the past several weeks for a D&D campaignthing I am writing and it has been fine.

japtor

How long should my MacBook last me ? I got it about 5 months ago, like in August. I was thinking of selling it when the next gen MacBook Pro's come out, but I don't think I'll be in a financial position to upgrade this year, because I want to get a 15" version. The laptop is practically brand new and I think I'll get a good 2-3 years out of it, but I always want the latest and newest thing.
Depends what you do with it. For basic uses it could last until the machine dies pretty much, for more intensive uses who knows. CPU progress has stalled significantly, main thing holding it back there might be stuff requiring quad core or higher end mobile performance. GPU would be the real question...but there's so much more mobile stuff out there it could last a while as a target. 8GB RAM should be fine, storage could be another thing to consider, but if you have modest needs there it's also not a big deal. Can't really upgrade it (without paying out the ass for Apple's SSD blades) but worst case there's still external storage if necessary.

Again depends on your uses, but should be fine for a while, particularly if it's meeting your needs now. If not (like if you want the 15" for a discrete GPU?) then I guess that answers the question. Update to update there probably won't be any single huge performance reasons to upgrade, barring something unexpected like them making a high power 13", which would be another one of my fanciful Mac dreams.*

*Wacky lineup idea I saw postulated once:
12" and 14" MacBooks, latter for people that just want a bigger screen, like the 12" and 14" iBooks way back.
13" and 15" MacBook Pros for more performance, upping the 13" power budget to allow quad core CPU w/Iris Pro, and 15" keeps its discrete GPU.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Depends what you do with it. For basic uses it could last until the machine dies pretty much, for more intensive uses who knows. CPU progress has stalled significantly, main thing holding it back there might be stuff requiring quad core or higher end mobile performance. GPU would be the real question...but there's so much more mobile stuff out there it could last a while as a target. 8GB RAM should be fine, storage could be another thing to consider, but if you have modest needs there it's also not a big deal. Can't really upgrade it (without paying out the ass for Apple's SSD blades) but worst case there's still external storage if necessary.

Again depends on your uses, but should be fine for a while, particularly if it's meeting your needs now. If not (like if you want the 15" for a discrete GPU?) then I guess that answers the question. Update to update there probably won't be any single huge performance reasons to upgrade, barring something unexpected like them making a high power 13", which would be another one of my fanciful Mac dreams.*

*Wacky lineup idea I saw postulated once:
12" and 14" MacBooks, latter for people that just want a bigger screen, like the 12" and 14" iBooks way back.
13" and 15" MacBook Pros for more performance, upping the 13" power budget to allow quad core CPU w/Iris Pro, and 15" keeps its discrete GPU.

Thanks, I don't do anything on my computer except browse the web and school work, it should last me for many years then.

So a bug crawled out of the opening near the hinge of my 13" MBPr, and when I tried to get it out of the hinge area it crawled back in

So you know, fuck. Big guy, too

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah. Don't get the first model. At least wait to see how much better the next one is to see if it's ready yet. It's basically the equivalent to the original first and second generation Air. The Air didn't get good until the 2010 redesign when the technology was ready. Give the new MacBook time to mature and find its place.

I've officially disabled Flash.

Been having almost daily freezes of my computer and I'm going to put the blame on Flash first. If they continue, it obviously isn't Flash.

Never have problems like this with Windows.

Been having almost daily freezes of my computer and I'm going to put the blame on Flash first. If they continue, it obviously isn't Flash.

What browser/OS?! Almost impossible for Flash, as shitty as it is, to lock up the computer. Do you have to reboot to recover or does it come back on its own?

Sounds like a hardware problem to me.

Has anyone frayed a MacBook Pro power supply near the mag connector with just normal use? This has been my third replacement over multiple MacBooks and the are expensive! I never have this problem with my Windows laptop power supplies.

Has anyone frayed a MacBook Pro power supply near the mag connector with just normal use? This has been my third replacement over multiple MacBooks and the are expensive! I never have this problem with my Windows laptop power supplies.

Happened to me. I fixed it with isolation tape. The magsafe cables are pretty bad in this regard.

Fuchsdh

Nope. I make sure to grab my cables by the connectors. Still got an '08 model that's trucking along (the original L shaped connectors were IMO worse than the T-shaped ones for having issues though.)

Safari / Mavericks. Yeh usually have to reboot to recover.

Not normal— each Safari tab should be its own process and Flash should be further sandboxed. It crashing should not bring the system down. Hope removing it makes the problem go away, though.

I reinforced mine with heat shrink since I have the barrel connector and not the t-connector. Apple needs much much better strain relief. I think part of the problem is that in their quest to remove bad chemicals from their products, they've removed a few really useful bad chemicals and have made their plastic worse— newer power cables feel worse and my impression is that they are less durable than old ones— this is completely baseless supposition on my part.

Nope. I make sure to grab my cables by the connectors. Still got an '08 model that's trucking along (the original L shaped connectors were IMO worse than the T-shaped ones for having issues though.)

It was T-, L-, and then T- again with MagSafe 2.

SwolBro

Banned
ok, am i an idiot or has apple really made this stupid shit fucking hard as hell to do?

how do i backup my videos from my iphone? why can't i see my videos when i open iphoto??? what the hell

Can someone please slap some sense into me before I buy a damn retina MacBook.

They suck. Everyone I know who has one hates it. The keyboard is awful, the retina screens are nice but have too many pixels for the underpowered cpu to handle. Everything is slow, unless all you're doing is running a web browser and iWork/Office (in which case you might as well get a Chromebook).

Either
1) Wait for a better model
or
2) Get an 11-inch air

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Happened to me. I fixed it with isolation tape. The magsafe cables are pretty bad in this regard.
I was thinking of wrapping the cord in electrical tape, but I am always worried about fires.
Electrical tape is fine. I've wrapped literally all of my Apple cables with it because they all suck so much. Electrical tape is rubber and made to isolate the electrical current. It will basically just replace the shitty rubber Apple uses anyway. As long as your wires themselves aren't cut into and touching each other. Then you have a problem. If it's just the outer sheathe then you should be fine.

That isn't to say you shouldn't look into a replacement. But yeah, they're overpriced for how shitty the quality of the cover is.

LeleSocho

Banned
Does anyone know a way to check SSD health on OSX? i bought this used drive and done a clean install and i really want to know how much the previous owner used it...

I reinforced mine with heat shrink since I have the barrel connector and not the t-connector. Apple needs much much better strain relief. I think part of the problem is that in their quest to remove bad chemicals from their products, they've removed a few really useful bad chemicals and have made their plastic worse— newer power cables feel worse and my impression is that they are less durable than old ones— this is completely baseless supposition on my part.

It was T-, L-, and then T- again with MagSafe 2.
I think destroying the environment is worth it for making cables that do not fray!

Deku Tree

The crazy thing about the Transmission hack is that you can get really nasty malware onto a mac that uses the highest security settings by sneaking code into someone elses trusted program.

Developers need to watch their backs, I guess.

Fuchsdh

The crazy thing about the Transmission hack is that you can get really nasty malware onto a mac that uses the highest security settings by sneaking code into someone elses trusted program.

Developers need to watch their backs, I guess.

Well it makes sense that as Apple (and Microsoft, now) lock down the usual vectors that got everyone's grandma and the unscrupulous tormentor that impersonating or infiltrating trusted apps is the way of the future.

Top Bottom