• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

giga

https://webkit.org/blog/6682/improving-color-on-the-web/

For those of you on a wide-gamut display, you’ll see the shoes are a brighter orange, and there is slightly more variation in the green grass. Unfortunately, if you don’t have a wide-gamut display, you’re probably seeing something very close to the first image above. In this case, the best I can offer is that tinted image that highlights which parts of the image you’re missing out on.

Ok now I really want P3 on the new MBP.

mrkgoo

My 1.5 year old iPhone 6 Plus started turning off on it's own at all manner of battery percentages two days ago. I need to be able to rely on my phone. I'm not a power user or untying

So I brought it into the Apple Store today expecting to pay $80 for a new battery, when I went to pick it up they said my phone could not be put back together properly and the battery had expanded and there was a problem with the batteries connection to the logic board.

So they gave me a new 6Plus at no cost, didn't even charge me for the battery replacement. Woo hoo!

There's actually an internal program for swollen batteries that extends beyond standard warranty.

In such cases, Apple tend to replace the unit for you. That's a sort of "advantage" when there are less components in that they just replace whole units.

My iPhone 5 was nearing 3 years old and started getting a swollen battery and boom, replacement iPhone 5. New casing and everything.

In countries like my own, where there are no official screen replacements, even a cracked screen is an entire unit replacement (makes AppleCare + a no brainer! Twice within the AppleCare period you can just get a new phone for the service fee!).

Deku Tree

There's actually an internal program for swollen batteries that extends beyond standard warranty.

In such cases, Apple tend to replace the unit for you. That's a sort of "advantage" when there are less components in that they just replace whole units.

My iPhone 5 was nearing 3 years old and started getting a swollen battery and boom, replacement iPhone 5. New casing and everything.

In countries like my own, where there are no official screen replacements, even a cracked screen is an entire unit replacement (makes AppleCare + a no brainer! Twice within the AppleCare period you can just get a new phone for the service fee!).

Makes sense. If a battery swells after 1.5 years then it's definitely defective.

Shiv47

Anyone know much about family sharing? I enabled this some time ago and added my daughter, but never got round to adding my son or wife. Now, I want to add the two of them, but on my iMac, the "Set Up Family" button is greyed out in Preferences, and on my iPhone, I am told that my primary account email is already used for family sharing, and that I should send myself an invitation. What the fuck is going on here? I am logged in as the main account, the one I used to create the family sharing, on both devices, yet it doesn't recognize that? Can you only change family data from the original device you used to set it up?

Deku Tree

Whoops! I dropped my 11MBA this morning and it got a pretty nasty dent on the left corner on both flaps. It still seems to work perfectly, and it doesn't close all the way but it does turn off when I close it...

... anything that I can do to fix it?

Is a dent caused by an accidental drop covered by AppleCare?

Or do I just have to live with it?

Whoops! I dropped my 11MBA this morning and it got a pretty nasty dent on the left corner on both flaps. It still seems to work perfectly, and it doesn't close all the way but it does turn off when I close it...

... anything that I can do to fix it?

Is a dent caused by an accidental drop covered by AppleCare?

Or do I just have to live with it?

I think AppleCare+ covers it but you need to pay a bit.

Deku Tree

I think AppleCare+ covers it but you need to pay a bit.

I don't think they offer AppleCare+ for laptop computers, that is only for iPhone and iPad and maybe AppleWatch. Anyway I just checked and my three year old laptop has been out of warranty for a few months anyway... I guess I'll just get a case and live with it and hope nothing goes wrong in the future until I'm ready for a new one.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't think they offer AppleCare+ for laptop computers, that is only for iPhone and iPad and maybe AppleWatch. Anyway I just checked and my three year old laptop has been out of warranty for a few months anyway... I guess I'll just get a case and live with it and hope nothing goes wrong in the future until I'm ready for a new one.
Got pictures? Obviously it didn't bend anything inside so you could use pliers to try and straighten it a big. Carefully of course. It would require a total case replacement otherwise.

The airs are pretty sturdy. I dropped mine once and it flipped a 180 out of my hands and landed flat on the floor on its top side. I was so scared because that's a fall that could shatter a display. But I guess since it was plastic it didn't do a thing. So relieved.

mrkgoo

What do you mean it turns off when you close it? You mean it shuts down? If so that's bad. If you mean it just goes to sleep as per normal and the damage is cosmetic.... I'd just leave it. Maybe do as real abed says and try to bend it back so that it closes abut more flush (but of course be careful - whether you should try or not depends on the nature of the buckling).

Any repair would be super expensive if it requires bottom case, top case and clamshell. Like it would literally cost more than the laptop itself new through Apple authorised service.

And yes APP+ is only available for the iOS devices and the watch.

Deku Tree

Got pictures? Obviously it didn't bend anything inside so you could use pliers to try and straighten it a big. Carefully of course. It would require a total case replacement otherwise.

The airs are pretty sturdy. I dropped mine once and it flipped a 180 out of my hands and landed flat on the floor on its top side. I was so scared because that's a fall that could shatter a display. But I guess since it was plastic it didn't do a thing. So relieved.

What do you mean it turns off when you close it? You mean it shuts down? If so that's bad. If you mean it just goes to sleep as per normal and the damage is cosmetic.... I'd just leave it. Maybe do as real abed says and try to bend it back so that it closes abut more flush (but of course be careful - whether you should try or not depends on the nature of the buckling).

Any repair would be super expensive if it requires bottom case, top case and clamshell. Like it would literally cost more than the laptop itself new through Apple authorised service.

And yes APP+ is only available for the iOS devices and the watch.

Here are the pictures:

0ost9xe.jpg

GjLtt1C.jpg

tmsV4AI.jpg

The computer dropped about five feet onto a tile floor. I am visiting Europe from the US and it was the first day and I had pretty bad jet lag when this happened unfortunately.

I have mixed feelings about using pliers, as I worry that I could actually make it worse...

The computer appears so far to work 100% normally with no problems.

Know of any good cases that I could buy at this point to keep on the computer at all times?

Macs only have AppleCare (warranty extension), not AppleCare+ (warranty extension PLUS accidental damage)

Didnt know that for sure. thanks. does this mean if you buy a Mac in say the US or Europe you get 1 year to buy AppleCare for it? While iOS devices it is 30 days or 45 or whatever the Plus thing is?

Didnt know that for sure. thanks. does this mean if you buy a Mac in say the US or Europe you get 1 year to buy AppleCare for it? While iOS devices it is 30 days or 45 or whatever the Plus thing is?

Correct! Macs you have the year to pick it up, since it literally is just a warranty extensions. iOS devices you have to do it within 60 days of purchase. This is in the US, I don't Europe's rules since they have a lot more consumer protection laws that probably supersede Apple

mrkgoo

Correct! Macs you have the year to pick it up, since it literally is just a warranty extensions. iOS devices you have to do it within 60 days of purchase. This is in the US, I don't Europe's rules since they have a lot more consumer protection laws that probably supersede Apple

Here in my country, there is consumer law that covers products for reasonable length of time. This manifests as a second year of consumer law "warranty" by Apple. My understanding is that many parts of Europe is the same.

AppleCare is perhaps not as worth it in these countries. AppleCare is, however, international. The second year on consumer law needs to be honoured in that country.

AppleCare is also easier to "honour". Sometimes you have to fight for your rights with consumer law.

bionic77

iMac looks like the HD died on me. Fusion drive and took it to the Apple Store.

Initial diagnostic checked out but they wanted to run a test overnight because the tech agreed with me that it looks like a failed HD. Anyone go through this before? Did not see anything about it online. Wondering how long this takes. He said 24-48 hours...

Deku Tree

iMac looks like the HD died on me. Fusion drive and took it to the Apple Store.

Initial diagnostic checked out but they wanted to run a test overnight because the tech agreed with me that it looks like a failed HD. Anyone go through this before? Did not see anything about it online. Wondering how long this takes. He said 24-48 hours...

Never gone through that... sounds like they are doing a really long test on the HDD and the SSD with a lot of reads and writes to see if it behaves normally or not. Or something else I don't really know what they do...

What were your symptoms?

japtor

Drives are big and slow, so yeah I could see a test taking a while. Like zeroing out a drive can find bad sectors and stuff but that takes forever, then doing other tests and watching results (like whatever bad SMART diagnostic values) could take a while longer on top of that.

...but 24-48 hours also just sounds like some regular turnaround time to replace the drive with whatever backup queue of repairs they have going on.

bionic77

Never gone through that... sounds like they are doing a really long test on the HDD and the SSD with a lot of reads and writes to see if it behaves normally or not. Or something else I don't really know what they do...

What were your symptoms?
On Tuesday computer was off (I did not turn it off).

When I try to turn it on the apple logo shows up and it loads to maybe 70% when it just shuts down. I changed ram modules so it is not bad ram. And since it starts up and displays something I figured it should not be a problem with the cpu, gpu or logic board. Figured it was a dead or dying fusion drive and took it it (still under AppleCare). His janitors test showed normal hardware but when he saw the problem he said he suspected it was HD too and asked to run the more extensive test overnight.

Deku Tree

On Tuesday computer was off (I did not turn it off).

When I try to turn it on the apple logo shows up and it loads to maybe 70% when it just shuts down. I changed ram modules so it is not bad ram. And since it starts up and displays something I figured it should not be a problem with the cpu, gpu or logic board. Figured it was a dead or dying fusion drive and took it it (still under AppleCare). His janitors test showed normal hardware but when he saw the problem he said he suspected it was HD too and asked to run the more extensive test overnight.

Did the computer boot and run fine off of an external boot drive? If so then I would guess it was the drive too. Apple will figure it out. If you still have AppleCare then everything is covered except your data. Good luck.

bionic77

Did the computer boot and run fine off of an external boot drive? If so then I would guess it was the drive too. Apple will figure it out. If you still have AppleCare then everything is covered except your data. Good luck.
Yes it did work from external.

But I guess they have to follow their steps for troubleshooting. Apple has gotten worse in their customer support for this stuff in my experience. Before the iPhone they used to treat you so well and often did shit for free and as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Deku Tree

My 1.5 year old iPhone 6 Plus started turning off on it's own at all manner of battery percentages two days ago. I need to be able to rely on my phone. I'm not a power user or untying

So I brought it into the Apple Store today expecting to pay $80 for a new battery, when I went to pick it up they said my phone could not be put back together properly and the battery had expanded and there was a problem with the batteries connection to the logic board.

So they gave me a new 6Plus at no cost, didn't even charge me for the battery replacement. Woo hoo!

^^^

Yes it did work from external.

But I guess they have to follow their steps for troubleshooting. Apple has gotten worse in their customer support for this stuff in my experience. Before the iPhone they used to treat you so well and often did shit for free and as quickly and painlessly as possible.

yeah about that ^^

mrkgoo

That phone had to be replaced.

Back in the day we had stories about them upgrading computers and giving you a new phone when your AppleCare had just expired. That earned them so much goodwill.

Part of the problem is since the iPhone and iPod, Apple have become a HUGE mainstream consumer electronics company, beyond just computers for a niche market.

Along with this popularity comes all of the entitlement of the mainstream as well. I mean, there's always a portion of the market that is like that, but it's much greater. They probably can't do it as much any more, from the sheer logistics of giving away so much free stuff (not the cost). But rest assured, Apple still do it...and frequently.

jts

...hate me...
They replaced my MagSafe charger for free when my kitty ruined it. My Mac was maybe 1 or 2 year old and I didn't have AppleCare.

That was nice.

chadskin

I had an Air a couple of years ago, fell asleep in bed with it, somehow must've knocked it off the bed while I was asleep which lead to the display being smashed in in a certain area, presumably because it must've fallen super unlucky on an edge of the charger that was laying on the floor. Happened just weeks after I bought it, too, really unfortunate.

Took it to the Apple store, was honest about what happened and they told me it'd cost €500+ to swap the damaged screen for a new one. When I went to pick it up a few days later, they just handed me the Air and said it's fine, repair is free of charge, here you go. And that was that.

Totally blew my mind.

Deku Tree

The PlugBug World from 12south is pretty cool if you travel to other countries, or even if you don't but you travel locally and you just want to only carry one charger for both iOS and your Mac Laptop. And it has 2.1amps for fast iOS charging if you have a newer device!

It even works with your Apple extension cord... this is crucial for someone like me who always wants a longer cable just in case you need it... one minor gripe is that the extension cord connector protrudes a little over the edge of the PlugBug. I guess 12south prioritized miniaturization over extension cord compatibility in that regard.

mrkgoo

The PlugBug World from 12south is pretty cool if you travel to other countries, or even if you don't but you travel locally and you just want to only carry one charger for both iOS and your Mac Laptop. And it has 2.1amps for fast iOS charging if you have a newer device!

It even works with your Apple extension cord... this is crucial for someone like me who always wants a longer cable just in case you need it... one minor gripe is that the extension cord connector protrudes a little over the edge of the PlugBug. I guess 12south prioritized miniaturization over extension cord compatibility in that regard.

I don't think the extension cord is supposed to protrude? I got one as a gift, but I didn't see it for myself....

Deku Tree

I don't think the extension cord is supposed to protrude? I got one as a gift, but I didn't see it for myself....

No the extension cord has an awkward protrusion, and if you use a white Apple plug adaptor then it also has the similar protrusion. But they both work anyway. It is widely mentioned in online user reviews.

12south did not conform to the standardized Apple plug adaptor size when they made the PlugBug. Although they all work.

The other thing that people complain about is that that the red plugs supplied with the BugPlug don't fold up, even the USA one.

chadskin

So how accommodating is Apple with regards to swollen batteries? Touchpad is harder than usual to press (upper half is basically not clickable anymore) and the back case is slightly bent outwards beneath where the touchpad is.

Late 2013 MBPr, battery is 2.2 years old, 37 cycles, 98% capacity. Seems a bit early. Anyone got any experience with that?

Deku Tree

So how accommodating is Apple with regards to swollen batteries? Touchpad is harder than usual to press (upper half is basically not clickable anymore) and the back case is slightly bent outwards beneath where the touchpad is.

Late 2013 MBPr, battery is 2.2 years old, 37 cycles, 98% capacity. Seems a bit early. Anyone got any experience with that?

Do you have apple care? If you do then they should fix it at no cost to you. If you can I would take it in to an Apple Store and talk to a Genius Bar. If that's too hard I would call them First.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
My late 2011 MBP dedicated GPU is dying. Vertical or horizontal banding appears on screen before it just shuts off completely, if I force integrated it seems to work ok. Cloned the drive just in time, it stopped booting entirely when I dropped it off at the Apple Store. The technician was kind enough to tell me he would do it in house since he noticed I have an HDD caddy in the DVD bay... I completely forgot that that might be a problem for repairs (if they wanted to press the issue) lol.

Extended warranty on the GPU since this is a known issue with the 2011s so new logic board for free. woot!

chadskin

Do you have apple care? If you do then they should fix it at no cost to you. If you can I would take it in to an Apple Store and talk to a Genius Bar. If that's too hard I would call them First.

I don't but based on what I've read swapping the battery is seemingly cheaper (€199) than if I had bought Apple Care (>€250). Kinda hoping they'll still replace it for free because two years seems like an awfully short life cycle for a battery in this day and age. Save me, EU consumer protection laws.

Anyhow, will definitely take it to the Apple Store ASAP. Do you (or anyone else, for that matter) know how long it takes them to swap the battery there?

Deku Tree

I don't but based on what I've read swapping the battery is seemingly cheaper (€199) than if I had bought Apple Care (>€250). Kinda hoping they'll still replace it for free because two years seems like an awfully short life cycle for a battery in this day and age. Save me, EU consumer protection laws.

Anyhow, will definitely take it to the Apple Store ASAP. Do you (or anyone else, for that matter) know how long it takes them to swap the battery there?

For a phone they can do it in 45 minutes in the USA. No idea about a newish Mac laptop. If your swelling battery damaged the case or some internal connections then that can complicate things. If they cover it then you might need to settle for a refurb. Back up your drive before bringing it to the Apple Store.

chadskin

For a phone they can do it in 45 minutes in the USA. No idea about a newish Mac laptop. If your swelling battery damaged the case or some internal connections then that can complicate things. If they cover it then you might need to settle for a refurb. Back up your drive before bringing it to the Apple Store.

Alright, will do. Thanks!

(This is only tangentially related, so please let me know if there's a better place for this.)

I'm looking to sell my iPad mini 4 (gold, 64gb) and my iPad mini (original model, white, 16gb). Both are in great condition, no issues with the screen or scratches/dings on the body itself. I have the original box and wall charger for the mini 4, but not for the original mini. I'll throw in a teal Smart Cover and a black Smart Case as well. Asking $300 for the mini 4 and $50 for the mini, $325 if you buy both.

PM me for pics and more information.

Ambitious

If there's one rule which I believe every single media player in the entire world must unconditionally follow, it's that if the user double-clicks an item in some media list, the item has to be played. Always. Immediately. No exceptions. None.

So let me just go ahead and double-click a track in iTunes.

itunes51act.png

You are about to start playback. Do you want to clear the 2 songs previously added to Up Next?

..What? I don't give a shit about the bloody Up Next list! Just play the goddamn song! That's why I clicked it! For Christ's sake, Apple. Play the track I double-clicked and then proceed to play the tracks from the Up Next list! Is it that hard to grasp? Why would I want to delete the list if I manually choose a different track? How does that make any sense? If I wanted to delete it, I would click the fucking "Delete" button in the list. But I didn't!

..What? I don't give a shit about the bloody Up Next list! Just play the goddamn song! That's why I clicked it! For Christ's sake, Apple. Play the track I double-clicked and then proceed to play the tracks from the Up Next list! Is it that hard to grasp? Why would I want to delete the list if I manually choose a different track? How does that make any sense? If I wanted to delete it, I would click the fucking "Delete" button in the list. But I didn't!

Uh.. that's why there's a "Play Next" option, to do exactly as you describe. To play that song you're clicking but to keep the rest of your queue

Doubt it would be any higher than the current prices. If anything's gonna' move one way or another it'll be the Macbook Airs, not the Pros.

I hope it's hovering around the same price. My ideal build for a 13" rMBP is $2200, so if it can stay there but have better internals I'll be happy

BondFancy

I hope it's hovering around the same price. My ideal build for a 13" rMBP is $2200, so if it can stay there but have better internals I'll be happy

If it's hovers around the same I'll probably get the baseline 15 in for $2,000. Then use a Best Buy student coupon for $50-$100 off.

Servbot24

Banned
Safari has been just awful on my iMac the last few days. Simple stuff like hovering over a link changing the arrow to a finger takes a few seconds. I tried clearing history and cache, but no effect...

japtor

Safari has been just awful on my iMac the last few days. Simple stuff like hovering over a link changing the arrow to a finger takes a few seconds. I tried clearing history and cache, but no effect...
Got any extensions? Otherwise look at console logs while using Safari, might not show anything useful but worth a shot.

Otherwise there's the Safari dev preview if you want to try that out, keeps everything (or most stuff at least) separate:
https://developer.apple.com/safari/technology-preview/

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Well. After telling me "no problem" they would fix it Apple called me back to say they wouldn't replace my logic board in my 2011 MBP because I have a HDD in the DVD bay. Now I have to find the damn DVD and put it back before they will repair it. :/

I specifically asked if they needed me to return the DVD to factory hardware and they said no. Now I wasted the extra trips :/

Deku Tree

Well. After telling me "no problem" they would fix it Apple called me back to say they wouldn't replace my logic board in my 2011 MBP because I have a HDD in the DVD bay. Now I have to find the damn DVD and put it back before they will repair it. :/

I specifically asked if they needed me to return the DVD to factory hardware and they said no. Now I wasted the extra trips :/

Apple never work on computers if you messed with the internals. It's their longstanding standard policy. Whoever told you that had no clue.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Apple never work on computers if you messed with the internals. It's their longstanding standard policy. Whoever told you that had no clue.
It was the genius service technician who was in taking my computer. Pretty sure he was going to look the other way and just take care of me but someone else got ahold of it instead.

Is it just Safari? Or are other browsers doing it too?
For me it has just been safari. Tried removing all extensions and still same. It just doesn't play nice when there's a YouTube video open in one tab even if the video finished playing. Force quit and relaunching has it behave fine for some time before going slow again. No problem with chrome but I use safari mainly so this is annoying. Noticed this on MacBook Air 2011 and 2013 and retina 13 2015.

Top Bottom