• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Deku Tree

Honestly they'd be better off buying Chromebooks if that's the case, and it seems like that's what's happening. As much as I love Macs and think their ease of use and durability plus customer service make them worth it... in absolute value terms I don't think you can justify them in an .edu setting if the schools themselves are buying. Just running everything through a web interface saves on storage, deployment, and downtime for replacement.

That may be true, but apple still has a lot of "mind share" in the school setting in terms of laptops.

Although a lot of schools are running on Google web services now anyway.

d00d3n

Anyone who has found a working solution to power a macbook 12" and output 4k@60hz video simultaneously through the USB type-C connector? Outputting 4k@60hz works just fine through this fix (using a USB type-C to displayport cable), but I have not found a solution that provides power as well. The hubs I have checked out either lack the ability to power the macbook, or limit video output to 30hz.

Edit: I don't want to buy a completely new display, because I have too many of those already. I am aware that there is one display that accepts a video signal through USB type-C and powers the macbook at the same time, but I am looking for a generic solution that works with other displays.

Ok, I have a question

I'm currently running 10.9.5 Mavericks. Last night I went to download Unreal Engine 4 development kit only to find the latest version only runs on 10.10 or later.
Now, I've kept off upgraded for some time now as I have a good working OS environment and wouldn't want anything to change. Question is, are these fears about incompatible software justified? Will I find a drastic change in what I can and can't use for pre-installed programs?

Mostly talking about Maya 2015, Adobe CS6 etc., but also some more niche programs too. Basically, it'd be a massive pain in the ass if I came to find most of the large package software I have installed stopped working. Mostly because I have a LOT of software.

Thoughts? General pros/cons of upgrading to Yosemite/El Capitan?

giga

Kaby Lake is a step gap... it is the Skylake+.

I believe new MacBook Pro will be announced until September... Kaby Lake won't be ready.

Unless of course rMBP launches in 2017.
It is, but it also features nice additions like usb 3.1, HEVC decode, and tb3 which are important for future proofing.

BondFancy

Hey MacGAF, I think my will has finally broken and I want to join the Mac club. I've been eyeballing the Retina 13.3 inch MacBook Pro, should I wait for the new one or purchase the 256 GB one now for $1,199.99 from Best Buy?

Übermatik;208002624 said:
Ok, I have a question

FYI CS6 works fine in 10.10

Do you have a spare disk? Clone your drive, boot off the copy to make sure it works, then lock it away before you upgrade-- things are shitty? Clone back.

Hey MACGAF, I think my will has finally broken and I want to join the MAC club.

This isn't helpful consumer advice, but it's Mac; MAC is a networking term.

PS: DE:AD:BE:EF:CA:FE is the best MAC.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Hardware is still a Mac, though.

I was being pedantic.

Speaking of Sierra though, it's ungodly slow on my personal laptop. I'm not sure at this point if it's because of the desktop iCloud syncing, or if it's an issue with the beta release. My dGPU is constantly engaged and the entire OS is slower than a drunk snail.

BondFancy

Hey MacGAF, I think my will has finally broken and I want to join the Mac club. I've been eyeballing the Retina 13.3 inch MacBook Pro, should I wait for the new one or purchase the 256 GB one now for $1,199.99 from Best Buy?

Lemme add to this.

After reading up on "leaks" for the new MacBook Pro they might be replacing the USB 3's with C's. Personally I've never heard of anything good about them, does anyone have a more detailed opinion on USB 3 vs. C?

I've also heard about the OLED display near the keyboard and potentially Touch ID. So 2/3 things sound good, however I find USB C hard to swallow, because it just seems like a pain in the ass with no major upside. (Yes I understand there are some benefits to it)

Now for some background of its usage. I'm a college student who's in engineering and has to use some obscure programs every once and awhile. Luckily I have a Windows 7 laptop which I will probably keep for software compatibility issues. I mainly surf the web and watch movies, but I don't play video games. I have an IPhone 6s which has really pushed me to get one. Main reasons are iMessage on my computer, FaceTime on my computer, the AppStore, and Bluetooth. Any other cool features for IPhone 6s on it?

The only thing that's been stopping me is the price tag is very steep, but my computer is coming to its end, I've had my HP Pavillion M6 Entertainment PC for 5 years now and it has served me well. However the 720p resolution is very ugly and the hardrive is a POS. Another issue is I've never used a Mac (See no MAC I'm learning) before. My final questions are what do I need to know before switching ecosystems and why should I buy a Mac over a PC for my purposes?

Ninja Dom

Have any of you tried using Perian? It's a now discontinued component add on for Quicktime?

I wanna use it for getting Quicktime to play MKV's. Any reports on it's performance?

Have any of you tried using Perian? It's a now discontinued component add on for Quicktime?

I wanna use it for getting Quicktime to play MKV's. Any reports on it's performance?

Unless you really need to use Quicktime for some reason I wouldn't bother with Perian. As you said it's been abandoned for quite some time and so more and more incompatibilities should crop up.

I would recommend just using a different player that comes with mkv support. My personal favorite is mkv.

It's time for Apple to solve it's backward compatibility problem. In a time of essentially forced yearly updates and rewritten and depreciated APIs in the name of progress, there is no reason I should ever have to worry about my legacy version of my app, whether macOS or iOS, breaking with the latest OS update.

Virtualize. Sandbox. Do whatever you need to do. But stop forcing me to update my apps if the previous version was superior or breaks with the latest OS.

Have we seen any rumors yet on 3D Touch for the iPad line? Sounds like they were having issues scaling to larger devices, but haven't heard anything since.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Just use VLC. I gave up on QuickTime a long time ago. Even though I really like its UI better. And its speed with compatible video files.

Fuchsdh

I'm still rocking QT7 Pro. Works great still despite having its core deprecated... What, four OS revisions ago?

Also, speaking of deprecated tech, Apple stopped producing Thunderbolt displays. Makes me think they might be out of the monitor game as they aren't replacing it with anything.

ethomaz

Banned
Damn, I've heard really good things about it.

If there's no HDMI it will definitely be a deal breaker.
They will sell an USB-C to HDMI adapter like actual MacBook but I expect way more ports like 3x USB-C and 2x Thunderbolt.

These are my guesses based on the moves Apple did with MacBook.

BondFancy

They will sell an USB-C to HDMI adapter like actual MacBook but I expect way more ports like 3x USB-C and 2x Thunderbolt.

These are my guesses based on the moves Apple did with MacBook.
I'm interested to see how many things rumored pan out. I might go with 2015 RMP if the announcements lackluster.

Deku Tree

Wow I waited for years for a USB3.0 TB display. Glad I bought a Dell a few years ago. And now it looks like Apple might be out of the external display business. It was always extremely small potatoes for them anyway.

VPhys

You know, after over 10 years of being a Mac only user at home, I only really use stock Apple apps. Forgetting games, the only 3rd party apps I use are VLC, Handbrake and SSD Fan Control. That's all.

I use the Apple suite of apps for everything else. Including Pages, Numbers, Keynote if I need that kind of software

What 3rd party apps do you all use regularly?

openoffice
vlc
android file transfer

Fuchsdh

I just don't see the appeal; it feels like a very stop-gap solution for a product line that Apple usually only updates every five years or so. That said, there is eGPU code in Sierra, so presumably some product is going to utilize it.

Ninja Dom

Unless you really need to use Quicktime for some reason I wouldn't bother with Perian. As you said it's been abandoned for quite some time and so more and more incompatibilities should crop up.

I would recommend just using a different player that comes with mkv support. My personal favorite is mkv.

Just use VLC. I gave up on QuickTime a long time ago. Even though I really like its UI better. And its speed with compatible video files.

Yeah, I've been using VLC for years now. It's just that I copped a very cheap Apple TV 3rd gen, and wanted to stream MKV's to the television without Handbraking them first. No problem, I'll just Handbrake and them use QuickTime to stream to the Apple TV.

EDIT: Controlling the Apple TV direct from Apple Watch is superb!!

FYI CS6 works fine in 10.10

Do you have a spare disk? Clone your drive, boot off the copy to make sure it works, then lock it away before you upgrade-- things are shitty? Clone back.

Thanks for this.

*EDIT 4* Disregard all other edits...

So I have a 2009 Time Capsule... can I clone to this or not? I have a feeling the answer is 'no'...

*EDIT 5* This is getting ridiculous now... SO, what if I backup my data to my Time Capsule, and use my 500GB Passport to clone my boot drive to...? So if I need to reinstall the old OS from the Passport, I can then backup all my data to my Macbook...?

This should work, right?

giga

I just don't see the appeal; it feels like a very stop-gap solution for a product line that Apple usually only updates every five years or so. That said, there is eGPU code in Sierra, so presumably some product is going to utilize it.
Seems pretty obvious to me. The majority of macs won't be able to support 5k output (at least not without a drop in performance), so you bundle a GPU in it until we're at the point where it won't need one anymore.

Übermatik;208257574 said:
*EDIT 5*

what if I backup my data to my Time Capsule, and use my 500GB Passport to clone my boot drive to...? So if I need to reinstall the old OS from the Passport, I can then backup all my data to my Macbook...?

This should work, right?

Yes...? I find your confusion confusing.

You clone your boot drive to an identically sized partition— erasing what was there. time capsule should work fine for an overall backup. If your 500GB drive has room enough for your home folder (assuming it is on a different volume from your comment), that is useful to have too.

The upgrade shouldn't touch your home folder except Mail almost always pokes around with shit on its first run.

Also, CS6 also works fine in 10.11. Not sure why I didn't write that in the first reply.

Ambitious

So, Photos.app.

When I delete a picture and press the left arrow key in order to go the the previous one, most of the time it shows me the picture I just deleted.

When I delete a picture, it goes to the next one, of course. When I press Backspace again right away in order to delete that one as well, most of the time it just plays a warning sound. Because apparently you have to wait for about a second before the keyboard works again.

Pretty much every time it downloads new pictures taken with my phone, for some of them it doesn't display thumbnails, just the placeholder image with the iCloud icon. Sometimes, opening the picture and returning the the picture list makes the thumbnail appear. Sometimes, the thumbnails disappears again right away. And sometimes, the thumbnail doesn't show up at all and the placeholder image remains until I restart the app.

Oh, and the CPU still goes nuts if I browse through my pictures too fast.

What a half-assed piece of shit.

After reading up on "leaks" for the new MacBook Pro they might be replacing the USB 3's with C's. Personally I've never heard of anything good about them, does anyone have a more detailed opinion on USB 3 vs. C?

C is the new plug standard. It's reversible (like Lightning) and supports extremely high bandwidth data transfer as well as high-power transmission. It also can be used with nextgen thunderbolt and Displayport, basically giving you one cable standard to charge your laptop and connect between devices as needed. (And there's no mini/micro version either)

The only downside is that quality control on cheap cables has been poor. USB-C can send a lot of power as well as data, so it's totally possible to find cables that only transfer power, don't transfer fast enough, or in some publicized cases, blows out your laptop because it wasn't built to spec.

As is usual with new standards, everybody is moving to it, but expect it to take some time to get past all of the quirks.

BondFancy

C is the new plug standard. It's reversible (like Lightning) and supports extremely high bandwidth data transfer as well as high-power transmission. It also can be used with nextgen thunderbolt and Displayport, basically giving you one cable standard to charge your laptop and connect between devices as needed. (And there's no mini/micro version either)

The only downside is that quality control on cheap cables has been poor. USB-C can send a lot of power as well as data, so it's totally possible to find cables that only transfer power, don't transfer fast enough, or in some publicized cases, blows out your laptop because it wasn't built to spec.

As is usual with new standards, everybody is moving to it, but expect it to take some time to get past all of the quirks.

Thanks for the explanation! So not having USB-C short term is better, however in order to future-proof USB-C is required, the benefits sounds great..long as manurfacturers know what they are doing so you don't blow your computer lol. How long till it becomes standard you think? 3 years? 5 years?

Thanks for the explanation! So not having USB-C short term is better, however in order to future-proof USB-C is required, the benefits sounds great..long as manurfacturers know what they are doing so you don't blow your computer lol. How long till it becomes standard you think? 3 years? 5 years?

If you are looking for USB-C accessories, look for ones on Amazon reviewed by Benson Leung. Don't buy anything he says isn't legit. (Engineer on Google's Pixel team)

Hoping to get a little advice or guidance. I am not a Mac person but have been tasked with formatting and getting the OS installed again on my Mom's 2010 MacBook (it's old and crappy, I know).

I successfully erased and formatted the drive. However, once I restart the computer, it asks for my Apple ID and password to start downloading Yosemite 10.10 from the Apple Store. It then hangs at the download screen, with a bar that never fills up. It says something along the lines of: Downloading Components, your computer will restart automatically. I have left it running for 24+ hours several times; I have tried it over wireless and hard-wired, and the download never appears to even start.

Any ideas? Is Yosemite 10.10 even the correct OS for this computer? Any guidance is much appreciated!

Is Yosemite 10.10 even the correct OS for this computer? Any guidance is much appreciated!

10.11 will also work.

When you boot, do you have a list of things you can do, or does it immediately start claiming to be downloading stuff? Former is recovery partition, later is internet recovery. Prior to starting the install on the recovery partition you can get a log window up so you can see where it's hanging and get better help.

I have successfully done an internet recovery install— it does take a while, but not 24 hours.

Apple KB article on both: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

10.11 will also work.

When you boot, do you have a list of things you can do, or does it immediately start claiming to be downloading stuff? Former is recovery partition, later is internet recovery.

When I turn on the computer, it brings me to the OS X Utilities menu with 4 options:

Recover from Time Machine
Reinstall OS X
Get Help
Disk Utility

I erased and formatted the drive, so there is no Time Machine recovery. When I click Reinstall OS X, it asks me to log in with my Apple ID and then it begins a download that never appears to go anywhere; it's at this screen that I have waited for 24+ hours for any sign that the download is happening.

Any thoughts on perhaps using a USB or DVD with OS X 10.10 on it?

When I turn on the computer, it brings me to the OS X Utilities menu with 4 options:

Great! There will be a menu up at the top— from "Window", select "Installer Log"; set it for all messages and try to reinstall the OS. See what the last line is after it apparently stalls.

Any thoughts on perhaps using a USB or DVD with OS X 10.10 on it?

USB works fine. DVD will be slow as shit. Got a Mac to create a USB installer? You need to download the OS from the Mac App store (for free), but once it's downloaded it is fairly straightforward to write the appropriate image to a USB key.

Deku Tree

My 1.5 year old iPhone 6 Plus started turning off on it's own at all manner of battery percentages two days ago. I need to be able to rely on my phone. I'm not a power user or untying

So I brought it into the Apple Store today expecting to pay $80 for a new battery, when I went to pick it up they said my phone could not be put back together properly and the battery had expanded and there was a problem with the batteries connection to the logic board.

So they gave me a new 6Plus at no cost, didn't even charge me for the battery replacement. Woo hoo!

caramac

My 1.5 year old iPhone 6 Plus started turning off on it's own at all manner of battery percentages two days ago. I need to be able to rely on my phone. I'm not a power user or untying

So I brought it into the Apple Store today expecting to pay $80 for a new battery, when I went to pick it up they said my phone could not be put back together properly and the battery had expanded and there was a problem with the batteries connection to the logic board.

So they gave me a new 6Plus at no cost, didn't even charge me for the battery replacement. Woo hoo!

Nice!

You maybe ought to have offered your $80 in exchange for a 6SPlus :D

Ninja Dom

Great news. Such a great feeling when something unexpected like that happens in your favour.

Top Bottom