• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

My perfect MBPr refresh:

13"
3 pounds
Option for a quad core processor
Options for a dGPU
Any new bells and whistles they want to put on there

I would pay whatever it took, honestly

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My perfect MBPr refresh:

13"
3 pounds
Options for a dGPU

I would pay whatever it took, honestly
3lb for the 13" and 3.5lb for the 15" would be nice.

Quad Core i7 for any of the 13" models would be nice. Right now all you get is dual-core i5.

We'll be lucky if the dGPU remains in the 15" with the next update. Right now it's only the top end model. I don't see it even making it to the low end 15" let alone the 13" at all. Even a top end one.

I'd consider going back down to 13" only if I could set the display to 1200/1080p Retina mode like I can on the 15". But I don't see it. Things would be too small. The 13" will keep its maximum Retina setting at 1680x1050 and I will probably keep using 15". So any weight they can shave off would be nice. Just not at the expense of removing everything that makes it Pro.

Quad Core i7 for any of the 13" models would be nice. Right now all you get is dual-core i5.

We'll be lucky if the dGPU remains in the 15" with the next update. Right now it's only the top end model. I don't see it even making it to the low end 15" let alone the 13" at all. Even a top end one.

I'd consider going back down to 13" only if I could set the display to 1200/1080p Retina mode like I can on the 15". But I don't see it. Things would be too small. The 13" will keep its maximum Retina setting at 1680x1050 and I will probably keep using 15". So any weight they can shave off would be nice. Just not at the expense of removing everything that makes it Pro.

dGPU is the least important thing to me out of that list since integrated graphics are only getting better. Quad core is important to me. Also forgot: DCI-P3 compliant display

Agreed. Ideally, I would like the 13" to get a resolution bump to 2880p. Otherwise, I'll be going back to the 15".

Who knows, though. We might be getting a 14" or something instead.

Agreed. Ideally, I would like the 13" to get a resolution bump to 2880p. Otherwise, I'll be going back to the 15".

Who knows, though. We might be getting a 14" or something instead.

That's true, a resolution bump would be quite nice...

Okay, updated list

13"
3 pounds
Options for a dGPU
DCI-P3 display
2880x1800 resolution (previously on the 15")

C'mon Apple, make me drop $3,000 on you

NandoGip

Hey guys, I'm gonna upgrade my MacBook Pro 2009. Besides an ssd and ram, is there anything else that's cool that I can do to it? Even if it's aesthetic or aftermarket. Give me some interesting or practical suggestions

Deku Tree

The only way I see the shaving a whole pound off the 15inch is if they can remove a lot of the battery because of dramatically improved energy use.

Deku Tree

vqVJuNo.jpg

Should I be concerned that dirt and stuff can get into my MacBookAir through that new opening that happened when I dropped my laptop last week? Anything that I can do to plug it up? My laptop still works the same as it ever did so far..

Ambitious

Does anyone know of an app which can be used to lock the screen but unlock it with a keyboard shortcut?

Context:
I'm using a Mac mini as a HTPC with Kodi running at all times. When me or someone else picks up the keyboard/trackpad while not using the mini (e.g. to make room on the couch), we might accidentally touch a key and thus unknowingly perform some unintended action, like starting a movie or activating Mission Control and so on, so I'd like to lock the screen. I could use the built-in screen locking of OS X, of course, but then I'd have to tell everyone my password, which I'd rather not do. I'd rather use a simply, convenient keyboard shortcut.
So it's fine if that app uses its own locking mechanic. It's not about security; it's just about preventing accidental key presses and trackpad clicks.

Fuchsdh

Should I be concerned that dirt and stuff can get into my MacBookAir through that new opening that happened when I dropped my laptop last week? Anything that I can do to plug it up? My laptop still works the same as it ever did so far..

Can always tape it up, but dirt and stuff gets in your laptop over time anyhow. Realistically it's not going to do much to damage anything, and you can always crack it open and blow it out every so often if you're concerned about it.

BondFancy

When the 2016 RMBP comes out I've been trying to make a list of things to buy so I know how much money to put aside. Any definite purchases I should make with it? (i.e. accessories/cases, apps/software etc.)

Alright, looks like I'm buying a rMBP to hold me over until the 2016 model since the 2011 shitty ASUS one I'm using is driving my insane, and I don't think I can use it until October. I'll just buy a refurb 2015 and sell it later

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got a new job that will provide a MacBook Pro. Don't know if 13 or 15" yet. Assuming I take it home every day I think I'd lean towards the 13" although the quad core CPUs are tempting on the 15"

Anything I need to consider for using it in a work environment? I'd like to hook it up to a monitor if they allow it, plus at least a mouse, and possibly an external keyboard. Does it work well while closed or does it prefer to be left open for ventilation? Any recommendations for a mouse and/or keyboard? I hated the original apple Magic Mouse (the one with the little spinning ball as a scroll wheel), and I like Logitech scroll wheels generally. Would like to avoid a dongle if I can, but willing to have one if there is no reasonable alternative.

Also, will I work with the USB-Ethernet adapter I have for my surface pro, or will I need to buy the thunderbolt adapter? If I use it at home my office desk area is in a weak wifi area so I'd want to use Ethernet

Got a new job that will provide a MacBook Pro. Don't know if 13 or 15" yet. Assuming I take it home every day I think I'd lean towards the 13" although the quad core CPUs are tempting on the 15"

Anything I need to consider for using it in a work environment? I'd like to hook it up to a monitor if they allow it, plus at least a mouse, and possibly an external keyboard. Does it work well while closed or does it prefer to be left open for ventilation? Any recommendations for a mouse and/or keyboard? I hated the original apple Magic Mouse (the one with the little spinning ball as a scroll wheel), and I like Logitech scroll wheels generally. Would like to avoid a dongle if I can, but willing to have one if there is no reasonable alternative.

Also, will I work with the USB-Ethernet adapter I have for my surface pro, or will I need to buy the thunderbolt adapter?

You'd be surprised how big of a difference that extra pound makes. If you're moving it a lot you may prefer the 13"

Computet works well in docked mode if you close it and have an external monitor/keyboard/mouse. Any brand you prefer will work, though I honestly like the Apple offerings. I think the new Magic Keyboard feels great

I would recommend getting a thunderbolt Ethernet adapter vs a USB one. USB will work but thunderbolt has more bandwidth to work with

TUSR

Banned
So ive recently came into possession of two Thunderbolt Displays.

Is there any good mounting solutions anyone uses here? I want to free up some desk space and have tons of wall space behind my desks.

Did a chart of the most common months since 2006 for Macs being released. Top 3:

October
June
July/April (tie)

Since everything but October has come and gone, looks like we have a winner!

Deku Tree

So can someone tell me how iTunes Match would work for me?

I have a lot of music on my computer. It was downloaded from a lot of CDs that I own onto my computer years ago at low bit rate quality due to limitations on hard drive sizes during those times. Due to a disaster situation I don't have most of the CDs anymore.

If I do a 1 year subscription to iTunes Match: can I download 256mbps versions of all my songs to my computer DRM free? When my subscription lapses can I still keep all those 256mbps files? And can I freely transfer all the 256mbps files to whatever device that I want using iTunes or some other utility even after my subscription lapses?

jts

...hate me...
I have a 2010 thick 13” MBP.

Even though it has maxed out RAM and it’s also souped up with an SSD it begs for replacement.

Unfortunately, I can’t splurge on a new atm but I’ve been eyeing some deals.

2014 MBP retina means no Force Touch trackpad right? Do you think it’s an absolute must? I do love 3D touching a link on my iPhone to preview a webpage.

Performance-wise, how much better can I expect from it compared to my Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz? Strongest CPU in the deals I’m eyeing is an i7 3GHz (2014). Weakest is i5 2.6GHz (2014).

Lastly, ballpark of what I should expect to get from offloading my own?

Would love if you could chime in! Cheers.

So can someone tell me how iTunes Match would work for me?

I have a lot of music on my computer. It was downloaded from a lot of CDs that I own onto my computer years ago at low bit rate quality due to limitations on hard drive sizes during those times. Due to a disaster situation I don't have most of the CDs anymore.

If I do a 1 year subscription to iTunes Match: can I download 256mbps versions of all my songs to my computer DRM free? When my subscription lapses can I still keep all those 256mbps files? And can I freely transfer all the 256mbps files to whatever device that I want using iTunes or some other utility even after my subscription lapses?

Shockingly, yes! What will happen is iTunes Match will take all those songs and match them with the 256kbps versions on the iTunes Store. Those higher-nitrate songs will be what's in your iCloud Music Library. Once they're matched, delete your local copy of the song, but keep the one in the cloud. Then download the cloud copy and boom, you just got bumped up to 256kbps. It's DRM-free as well

Obviously make sure before deleting local stuff that it matched with the right song. And if it finds anything it can't match it just uploads the version you have wholesale so that won't be very helpful

Edit: just saw the post in the other thread, yes 96kbps is required

jts

...hate me...
You can use a three-finger tap for that.

Sweet!

Alright well, I’m done.

2010 MBP 13” C2D 2.4GHz 8GB 250GB SSD -> 2014 MBPr 13" i5 2.6GHz 8GB 256GB

Agreed upon, not done yet for a few hours.

I JUST missed out on a maxed out 2014 MBPr 13” with 512GB, 16GB and i7 3.0GHz for a STEAL. But oh well.

Still buzzing that I might be done with pre-hystorical computer resolutions today.

jts

...hate me...
6oqaDIxl.jpg

Get in!

The state it came in... wow. Absolutely pristine, as new. No marks, no scratches, no dents. With box. With all the box inserts. With the god damn plastic protectors on the magsafe connector.

Plus he threw in (all in pristine condition as well):
Apple Wireless Keyboard in box. And a skin for it.
Apple Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter... in box of course.
A nice sleeve and a case (don’t worry I will not use the case).

Still 6 months of warranty left on the MBPr as well.

Solid purchase I feel and now I’m only 2 years behind the times. Woohoo! /poor

Oh and yeah it came with Mavericks installed, need to update before migrating 💀

Fuchsdh

I know it's one of those things I'm probably missing out on, but I've never migrated a Mac. Always taken the opportunity to start fresh.

I know it's one of those things I'm probably missing out on, but I've never migrated a Mac. Always taken the opportunity to start fresh.

I'll be doing it for the first time when I move from the rMBP I'm about to get to the new 2016 rMBP whenever that comes out. When I sold my old one I decided I was just going to start fresh and not come back from a time machine backup, mostly for virtual-machine related reasons

I just realized I'll have owned three years of rMBP in a row. The mid-2014 was my daily driver between Dec 2014 and May 2016 when I sold it, foolishly thinking that they would announce new ones at WWDC. I'm about to buy an early 2015 to get me by because my bottom-tier Windows laptop is currently driving me literally insane, and then I'll sell that for the 2016 ones later this year

Ambitious

Anyone using the WhatsApp desktop app? I'd like to change the background, but for some reason I can't access the settings. In the settings sidebar, the "Desktop Settings" item doesn't do anything if clicked.

jts

...hate me...
What a sensational computer. Definitely leaped into the future.

Just too bad I can’t seem to make AIrDrop work between my iPhone and it.

BondFancy

What a sensational computer. Definitely leaped into the future.

Just too bad I can’t seem to make AIrDrop work between my iPhone and it.
Very jealous, the wait for Skylake is real. Can't wait to be able to make use of all my iPhone's features as well as have a much more future proof laptop than what I currently have.

Very jealous, the wait for Skylake is real. Can't wait to be able to make use of all my iPhone's features as well as have a much more future proof laptop than what I currently have.

Really excited. I think there will be enough of a difference between my late 2013 13" rMBP with this year's refresh that they'll be a real improvement.

I'm still dreaming of Kaby Lake being used this fall instead as well.

BondFancy

Really excited. I think there will be enough of a difference between my late 2013 13" rMBP with this year's refresh that they'll be a real improvement.

I'm still dreaming of Kaby Lake being used this fall instead as well.
You think you are excited from upgrading from a 2013 RMBP? I've got a pos HP from 2011 haha! This will be my first Mac, as I finally can afford one, so my hype is through the roof. My level of obsession at this point is unhealthy, refreshing Mac Rumors and Google every 30 or so minutes. From what I've been hearing around the web is this one is gonna be worth the wait.

Swag

Anyone using the WhatsApp desktop app? I'd like to change the background, but for some reason I can't access the settings. In the settings sidebar, the "Desktop Settings" item doesn't do anything if clicked.
Don't think this is properly implemented yet, does the same thing for me

giga

Good news about Kaby Lake. Other piece of good news is that Sierra and iOS 10 both support WebP. Maybe we can finally start to replace jpeg and gif.

Fuchsdh

Ugh. WebP is just another dumb image format to boost page performance when the problem is every fucking page is bloated with ads, tracking scripts, and badly-optimized resources. Lipstick on a pig.

giga

Ugh. WebP is just another dumb image format to boost page performance when the problem is every fucking page is bloated with ads, tracking scripts, and badly-optimized resources. Lipstick on a pig.
You're conflating an improved image format with ads and scripts. That's a separate issue and I don't know why anyone would characterize a "boost in performance" as something unnecessary. I don't think anyone called it as a solution to those issues. It's simply a better image format to replace the multi decade old ones that are still in use today that are inefficient and eat battery life.

Fuchsdh

You're conflating an improved image format with ads and scripts. That's a separate issue and I don't know why anyone would characterize a "boost in performance" as something unnecessary. I don't think anyone called it as a solution to those issues. It's simply a better image format to replace the multi decade old ones that are still in use today that are inefficient and eat battery life.

I'm saying the "inefficient" images aren't the issue, it's the bad construction of the pages itself. Coming up with new image formats and the like to eek out minor performance increases while the problem is page sizes keep getting larger is missing the forest for the trees.

giga

I'm saying the "inefficient" images aren't the issue, it's the bad construction of the pages itself. Coming up with new image formats and the like to eek out minor performance increases while the problem is page sizes keep getting larger is missing the forest for the trees.
I'm saying the new image format isn't meant to be the solution to that problem and no one has characterized it as such. It's merely progress.

Good news about Kaby Lake. Other piece of good news is that Sierra and iOS 10 both support WebP. Maybe we can finally start to replace jpeg and gif.

Didn't you find evidence of Kaby Lake instead of Skylake some time ago? Or am I confusing some other Apple aficionado?

jts

...hate me...
Uploading a ton of stuff to Amazon Drive since now I have to make peace with having 256GB and that’s it.

Main space wasters will end up being apps and iCloud photo library.... expect to have around 100GB free.

Might even throw in a Windows partition... gosh, how I wish to mess up with external graphics via thunderbolt.

Just one more tidbit, what resolution y’all using? Have to use the 1440x900 equivalent because 1280x800 is just... bad nowadays. And native is obviously overkill. Wondering if the next MBP will have a 2880x1800 panel for that reason (perform 1440x900 naturally with simple scaling).

Top Bottom