• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Do you have a laptop sleeve? Back when I would use my MBP as a portable I would just use my sleeve as a little cushion between me and the computer. It worked great.

Yeah, what? The Macbook line is absolutely notorious for running at absurdly hot temperatures. It's nobody BUT Apple's problem. Lastly, it is NOT inherent to the notebook formfactor in any way.

I think the heat produced by the MBP is more noticeable simply because the whole thing is made of metal and it acts like a gigantic heat sink. My girlfriend's Toshiba blasts out hot air from the side, but the case doesn't feel too hot because it's plastic.

In any case, ya, the fan blasts when I'm running Portal 2, but it cools down fairly quickly afterwards.

Chris R

How hot do the Air's get?

They get warm, but I've never had to take mine off my lap, even after a heavy gaming session. Just don't block the air from exiting. The thing is they get very LOUD, more so than any laptop I've owned before. Can't wait to see what the Ivy Bridge airs do though... I'd probably upgrade to one and sell my current air to someone in my family for cheap.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The way I usually position my Air on my lap doesn't obstruct the vents too much but in any case I'll put it on top of a thin hardcover book that's about the same size of the thing when I have to use it like that for an extended period of time. I'm kind of obsessed about the vents not turning on because it's so damn silent otherwise.

Has anyone had any luck using as ipad as a primary computing device?

My 84 year old grandmother.

A friend's only computing device was a BlackBerry for 18 months. If she managed that, I'm sure an iPad would have worked.

Two other friends use only iPads when on the road, for business or pleasure. One puts all his photos through it.

Here's a developer: I swapped my MacBook for an iPad+Linode.

Depends on your needs. I bought an 11" MacBook Air instead of an iPad (for a few reasons), and barely use the Mac Pro anymore. An iPad would necessitate using the Mac Pro a lot more.

Yeah, I'm thinking about using a tablet over a laptop because all I do is browse, watch videos, check twitter etc.

The only thing I would need a laptop for is for apple tv.

?! Truly? Do you mean she had access to work/school/family/friend's computers or she really did everything on that device?

She had access to a school computer where she taught, but it was severely locked down so she could basically just email parents and prepare class materials.

All personal computing was done from her BlackBerry (email, Facebook, web, YouTube, maps, music). She has a PC now that she's gotten into photography.

Blackhead

Redarse
She had access to a school computer where she taught, but it was severely locked down so she could basically just email parents and prepare class materials.

All personal computing was done from her BlackBerry (email, Facebook, web, YouTube, maps, music). She has a PC now that she's gotten into photography.
so she kinda did need a PC. Do you think she could prepare those class materials on iPad?

picked up a Speck Pixelskin for my new Air. Works great. No zippers, and I like how the top lip can stay open if you want to leave it charging while it's inside. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for one. Only $24 on Amazon.

Tobor

Has anyone had any luck using as ipad as a primary computing device?

Absolutely. The majority of my personal computing time is on the iPad. It's my "main" computer as far as usage is concerned.

I use a traditional computer at work, but at home it's 90% iPad.

RBH

kZN8G.png

http://store.apple.com/

Hope it's not just for maintenance.

FerranMG

Is there a reason why Apple doesn't sell an official keyboard that is both extended and wireless?
By extended I mean it has decent size arrows, PgUp and Down keys, Home, End, Supr and numeric keyboard.

I'd love to get a wireless Apples keyboard, but paying that much and still have some basic functionalities missing... :/

Sye d'Burns

Is there a reason why Apple doesn't sell an official keyboard that is both extended and wireless?
By extended I mean it has decent size arrows, PgUp and Down keys, Home, End, Supr and numeric keyboard.

I'd love to get a wireless Apples keyboard, but paying that much and still have some basic functionalities missing... :/

I have absolutely no idea. It's number one on my wish list.

I've got an apple wireless that I only really have used with my iPad. Never could get used to it with the desktop, though I gave it a good go when I bought a magic trackpad.

whitehawk

Banned

So your looking for this (http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MB110LL/B) but wireless?

edit: Also, what's the point in a numeric keyboard. I suppose it helps for some games, and if your an accountant... But I don't miss it at all.

So your looking for this (http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MB110LL/B) but wireless?

edit: Also, what's the point in a numeric keyboard. I suppose it helps for some games, and if your an accountant... But I don't miss it at all.

When I bought my iMac in 09 it was the first time they dropped the numerical keypad. I was mad at first, but have grown to accept it. Now I don't know how I would have fit the thing on my desk.

Sye d'Burns

When I bought my iMac in 09 it was the first time they dropped the numerical keypad. I was mad at first, but have grown to accept it. Now I don't know how I would have fit the thing on my desk.

It's hard for me to go back and forth between the mbp and mini. I adore my extended keyboard. My main beef is the FN button is in a completely different place and it throws off my typing on FN, control, option and command. Those bottom 3 to 4 keys just aren't where my finger expects them to be during the transition phases.

Yes, please!

Your edit sums up the main reasons. If I have to do any numerical work, I really benefit from having a full number pad.

It's hard for me to go back and forth between the mbp and mini. I adore my extended keyboard. My main beef is the FN button is in a completely different place and it throws off my typing on FN, control, option and command. Those bottom 3 to 4 keys just aren't where my finger expects them to be during the transition phases.

Yes, please!

Your edit sums up the main reasons. If I have to do any numerical work, I really benefit from having a full number pad.

Why not just get this?

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/wireless-solar-keyboard-k750-mac

FerranMG

Exactly what I'd want.

It's not the numeric keyboard I miss so much, but the Insert, Home, PgUp, etc. keys.
I know there's shortcuts using cmd, alt and so, but it's just not so convenient.
In fact, I guess if I could I would get an hypothetical extended keyboard with Insert, Home, etc. keys plus arrows, but without the numeric keyboard. That would make for a useful and proper sized keyboard.

I'll also take a look at that Logitech keyboard. Thanks for the recommendation.
edit: oh, of course, an official Apple keyboard would have an extra plus because it wouldn't use a usb port. On a Macbook Air, there's just two of them. :(

I wish they'd just announce something on Apple TV, I want to get it but it's old tech and is long overdue for an upgrade but at the same time I think they are going to kill it because they just want to focus on the rumored TV they are putting out

So I think my macbook pro's HD is dying on me. Start up (fresh install, erased disk etc) is obnoxiously slow, apps take forever to load, and the system beachballs constantly when doing a 'new thing', as if the disk is reading and swapping poorly. Is this something I can do myself (applecare is a non :/) without a huge hassle? I've changed Blu Ray drives in the playstation successfully, fwiw.

And if I were to get a new drive, should I stick to sata or jump to ssd? I don't need a ton of space, as I have a mac mini coming for general storage use.

njean777

So I think my macbook pro's HD is dying on me. Start up (fresh install, erased disk etc) is obnoxiously slow, apps take forever to load, and the system beachballs constantly when doing a 'new thing', as if the disk is reading and swapping poorly. Is this something I can do myself (applecare is a non :/) without a huge hassle? I've changed Blu Ray drives in the playstation successfully, fwiw.

And if I were to get a new drive, should I stick to sata or jump to ssd? I don't need a ton of space, as I have a mac mini coming for general storage use.

Do it yourself, couldn't be any easier. If you want to throw down the money, go ahead and jump to an SSD.

Do it yourself, couldn't be any easier. If you want to throw down the money, go ahead and jump to an SSD.
Do you think the jump to SSD is worth it, price vs performance?

So right now (using the MBP), safari is running much more nicely, but when I open new apps the same thing occurs; near system freeze, long waits, etc. Is this pretty much the HD or could there be another possible explanation?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Absolutely. The majority of my personal computing time is on the iPad. It's my "main" computer as far as usage is concerned.

I use a traditional computer at work, but at home it's 90% iPad.

If I could get a decent keyboard case I think I wouldn't need a computer most of the time. Just sold my sandy bridge 13" air because I was really only using it for web browsing and remote screen sharing of my mac mini. Not sure yet whether to get another laptop - I still need something for occasional photo editing, and a keyboard is useful when I'm typing more, but difficult to justify an air just for that

I wish they'd just announce something on Apple TV, I want to get it but it's old tech and is long overdue for an upgrade but at the same time I think they are going to kill it because they just want to focus on the rumored TV they are putting out

I was waiting for that as well, then just said "fuck it" the other day and got an Apple TV. Damn am I spoiled already with that thing. Finally having a Netflix interface that is fast and easy to navigate. Also a fast interface for all the ripped TV shows I have on my computer.

Knowing my luck, they will put some crazy awesome new one out now, but I was tired of waiting.

Circle T

I have a battery life question, if anyone can help. I got a new Air back at the start of October (i7, 4G, 256GB). Everything is great with it, I'm just wondering if my battery is OK.

I use iStat Menus to monitor various things, and I see that in roughly 4 months my battery capacity has dropped 5-7% already. It has been dropping steadily since new, and now fluctuates between 93 and 95%, give or take. I seem to remember reading somewhere that when batteries get to around 80% health, most manufacturers consider them "dead" and in need of replacing. Apple says that you should be able to get "up to 1000 full charge and discharge cycles before it reaches 80 percent of its original capacity" on their battery website. At this rate, I'll be at ~80% battery health in roughly a year, and only around 5-600 cycles. That seems rather short.

Anyone have any insight with this, or what I should expect with regards to battery life on this thing? Should I stop by the Apple Store and have them look at it, or is this expected?

Fk60S.png

purg3

slept with Malkin
I'll ask this here instead of making a thread. I'm in the market for a new laptop, my current is windows based and about 5 years old. I never really considered a Mac until I stopped into a local Mac store and started playing around with the MBA's. I'm mainly going to use it for web browsing/music, nothing really crazy. The only thing is, I've never used a Mac, ever. Is the transition pretty easy? Because I literally know nothing in terms of OSX. The only other thing I was somewhat hesitant about is the pricing. It's not that it's out of my range, it's the fact that for the same price I can get a really nice windows pc. Obviously the build quality of the MBA is super nice, and the track pad was noticeably better than any of the windows laptops I've been checking out. Portability is also huge. Is it worth the extra money for those of you that have went from windows laptops to mac's?

I'll ask this here instead of making a thread. I'm in the market for a new laptop, my current is windows based and about 5 years old. I never really considered a Mac until I stopped into a local Mac store and started playing around with the MBA's. I'm mainly going to use it for web browsing/music, nothing really crazy. The only thing is, I've never used a Mac, ever. Is the transition pretty easy? Because I literally know nothing in terms of OSX. The only other thing I was somewhat hesitant about is the pricing. It's not that it's out of my range, it's the fact that for the same price I can get a really nice windows pc. Obviously the build quality of the MBA is super nice, and the track pad was noticeably better than any of the windows laptops I've been checking out. Portability is also huge. Is it worth the extra money for those of you that have went from windows laptops to mac's?

Get one at the Apple store and they will help you set it up and actually sit down with you and run you through everything if you want, free of charge. They are super cool and helpful about it. Aside from that, no the transition isn't that big. You can sort of learn as you go.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Get one at the Apple store and they will help you set it up and actually sit down with you and run you through everything if you want, free of charge. They are super cool and helpful about it. Aside from that, no the transition isn't that big. You can sort of learn as you go.

OK, that's actually really helpful then. Thanks.

giga

I have a battery life question, if anyone can help. I got a new Air back at the start of October (i7, 4G, 256GB). Everything is great with it, I'm just wondering if my battery is OK.

I use iStat Menus to monitor various things, and I see that in roughly 4 months my battery capacity has dropped 5-7% already. It has been dropping steadily since new, and now fluctuates between 93 and 95%, give or take. I seem to remember reading somewhere that when batteries get to around 80% health, most manufacturers consider them "dead" and in need of replacing. Apple says that you should be able to get "up to 1000 full charge and discharge cycles before it reaches 80 percent of its original capacity" on their battery website. At this rate, I'll be at ~80% battery health in roughly a year, and only around 5-600 cycles. That seems rather short.

Anyone have any insight with this, or what I should expect with regards to battery life on this thing? Should I stop by the Apple Store and have them look at it, or is this expected?

Fk60S.png
The cycle count seems a bit high. I've had my mbp for almost a year now and I'm at 85 cycles. It varies though on how much you deplete the battery. Your cycle count will be lower if you're plugged into ac most of the time.

Top Bottom