• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Deku Tree

Not sure why Apple didn't just put the MagSafe in the middle of the cable.

Or why they never even really addressed it even in one of these "email replys to somebody" that they do a lot of now.

The only conclusion I can think of is that they expect you to charge your laptop at night and use it off the batter during the day (not plugged in)... like an iPhone/iPad... Can't really game that way...

RDreamer

Not sure why Apple didn't just put the MagSafe in the middle of the cable.

Or why they never even really addressed it even in one of these "email replys to somebody" that they do a lot of now.

The only conclusion I can think of is that they expect you to charge your laptop at night and use it off the batter during the day (not plugged in)... like an iPhone/iPad... Can't really game that way...

If that's really what they think people do, then they really are out of touch on the use of these things for professionals. Or they don't give a crap and have abandoned us altogether.

Even non-professionals I know, though, tend to plug their shit in enough that tripping over a cord is a pretty big hazard.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Finally got my macbook pro 13" touch bar.

I am loving it. The keyboard does get some getting used to, but I like it now.

One thing I noticed, I have my iphone headphones plugged in and I cannot seem to get the headphone controls to work. i.e. changing the volume, etc from the headphones. Does it work for anyone else? Is this a glitch with the OS or is this a hardware thing?

:(

EDIT

Restarting the computer fixed it.

The one thing about the AirPort Extremes and Time Capsules being discontinued - You have to assume that Time Machine is going to be scrapped or completely retooled for Apple File System. It could also be pretty difficult to add AFS support to the Time Capsules and AirPort Extremes.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
So pushing the fingerprint button does nothing. I thought it was the power button? Is there a way to change what it does? I don't see them in the settings.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I can totally see Apples response to the whole thing being a $50+ MagSafe branded USB-C cable if only to keep the trademark alive and hush all the complainers.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Ended up getting an open box late 2015 2.5ghz 512gb w/R370 from Best Buy Wednesday night. It was in great condition and still has AppleCare till august 2017.

Got my 13" Touchbar MacBook Pro just under a week ago and I'm very impressed so far overall. I'm coming from a 2008 HP laptop with 2GB RAM, integrated graphics, and a Pentium Core 2 Duo (which was a year-long temporary replacement for a 2012 quad-core HP laptop with a dedicated graphics card and 8GB RAM which unfortunately quite literally fell apart as components began to fail or break) so anything that could open an internet browser without crashing or freezing was destined to be a bit of an improvement, but the build-quality and overall performance has thus far been astounding. I did have a 21.5" iMac for work until just recently so I'm not new to macOS, but I've not had an Apple computer for personal use until now so it's still taking a little bit of time to set up the machine and install programs that suit my needs coming primarily from Windows.

I like the keyboard more than I was expecting, and while the lack of travel is annoying, it's easier to type on than I thought it would be. I think having used the Apple Keyboard with Numeric Pad for an extended period (which I really wasn't a fan of) allowed me to adjust to this a little easier. I can imagine that had I been coming from a mechanical keyboard or something with substantial depth this would be quite a harsh-adjustment, but personally I enjoy it.

The TouchBar is unimpressive so far. I can see how it has potential but the lack of a physical escape button is irritating me much more than I was expecting. It's somewhat fun to customise the TouchBar in each application but I could definitely live without it (which I do as I tend to basically ignore it). The most convenient part of it so far has been using it to quickly adjust the sound, brightness, and keyboard-backlighting, but none of those tasks are something that was ever particularly bothersome. Dragging video position is somewhat nice, but it isn't something I use with enough frequency to make it particularly useful (particularly when I find I can get to the position I want faster with the cursor). The only use for it that I find somewhat exciting is if LaTeX adds the option for mathematical symbols to be placed in the TouchBar rather than using the keyboard shortcuts, but not only does that seem quite unlikely, but it's not exactly a killer feature even still. Overall, thus far, I would just prefer the fn keys.

The screen is incredible. There really isn't anything more I can add here, it's stunningly beautiful.

The size of the machine is stunning. While I do wish I got the 15" as both of my previous laptops were that size and I much prefer the larger laptop, the 13" MacBook Pro is undeniably an extremely lightweight and highly portable machine. While I don't feel that it's a machine which needs to continue chasing thinness when the Retina MacBook and MacBook Air (which I suppose the non-TouchBar Pro is replacing) exist, it's still a very dramatically lightweight machine that feels very solid despite its small frame.

My biggest issue concerns the battery life which is disappointing. It's a step-up from both of my previous laptops (the 2012 HP managing a whopping three hours in the first year of it's life, and less than one hour thereafter resulting in it being unusable without the cable, and the 2008 replacement HP lasting a stunning zero minutes without being plugged in, literally dying as soon as the power cable is even slightly adjusted) but it isn't matching the stories I've heard of MacBooks lasting ten hours or more without needing to be charged. With only very light usage (keyboard backlighting off, screen brightness at about 25%, Siri turned off, auto-brightness off, Bluetooth on [connected to my Solo3's but not playing anything and connected to my iPhone/Apple Watch for Continuity and Handoff features], and Safari the only open application) I'm down to 83% after using it since just after 10:15am (one hour and twenty one minutes ago). This percentage and rate of depletion is quite misleading though; if I watch anything on VLC Player or even with QuickTime it drains faster, so even lasting eight hours is quite optimistic. In general I'd say I've gotten between five and seven hours of continuous use on it which is a bit of a disappointment. I'm uncertain as to whether the main cause of this is the addition of the TouchBar, the reduction of the battery size, or both (which is what I suspect), but it simply isn't worth it.

Overall it's an amazing machine, but with the battery life, if I didn't have to upgrade my laptop this year, I would wait for the second generation in the hope that the battery life will receive a significant upgrade and the price will come down.

EDIT: Oh and one thing that is cool is unlocking the MacBook with the Apple Watch. I have tried to avoid enabling Two-Factor Authentication, but this is pretty cool.

EDIT 2: On a related note, I don't generally mind the absence of ports, but the one which is an issue for me is HDMI. Does anybody know any cheap (less than or equal to €25) but reliable USB-C to HDMI adapters available on Amazon UK which won't fry the port? A USB-C to HDMI cable would be ideal but I don't think they're out yet and I don't really need the ability to charge through the hub/adapter.

jts

...hate me...
Anyone else's Mac unlocks with Apple Watch WHILE the lid is closed? I get the notification on my Watch and head over open up the lid and check and yeah the lockscreen is bypassed, my user account is just on. Only happens sometimes. Tad annoying.

My biggest issue concerns the battery life which is disappointing. It's a step-up from both of my previous laptops (the 2012 HP managing a whopping three hours in the first year of it's life, and less than one hour thereafter resulting in it being unusable without the cable, and the 2008 replacement HP lasting a stunning zero minutes without being plugged in, literally dying as soon as the power cable is even slightly adjusted) but it isn't matching the stories I've heard of MacBooks lasting ten hours or more without needing to be charged. With only very light usage (keyboard backlighting off, screen brightness at about 25%, Siri turned off, auto-brightness off, Bluetooth on [connected to my Solo3's but not playing anything and connected to my iPhone/Apple Watch for Continuity and Handoff features], and Safari the only open application) I'm down to 83% after using it since just after 10:15am (one hour and twenty one minutes ago). This percentage and rate of depletion is quite misleading though; if I watch anything on VLC Player or even with QuickTime it drains faster, so even lasting eight hours is quite optimistic. In general I'd say I've gotten between five and seven hours of continuous use on it which is a bit of a disappointment. I'm uncertain as to whether the main cause of this is the addition of the TouchBar, the reduction of the battery size, or both (which is what I suspect), but it simply isn't worth it.
This may be a case where it simply is what it is, but given Apple's reaction to the battery reviews, this may be a case where this is a software bug, and something that will be improved in a software update over the next few months.

I love my new 15" Pro. My only issues, which I can group into fixable via software and fixable via hardware:

Software:
-The Touchbar software is buggy, as you would expect for new functionality. I've ran into issues where the sound adjustments stop working, or a graphical object persists on the bar until a reboot. Both should be a simple fix.
-The trackpad's palm rejection is buggy, preventing you from using gestures. I've subconsciously changed how I use the trackpad, but Apple should fix this, and it makes me somewhat worried about a bezel-less iPhone in 2017.
-The graphics drivers are unoptimized/buggy, as you can see from a handful of threads online about the new 15" Pros. This'll be fixed in the first or second update I'm sure.

Hardware:
-The screen is only 8-bit. I get it. A 10-bit panel would be a lot for the 530 GPU at 1800p (Thanks Intel), but I really wish they would have gone all-in with the display, rather than this stepping stone of 8-bit wide-color gamut.
-The screen is only 1800p, not 2100p, even though Apple is now scaling to 1050p by default. See the 8-bit reasoning above, but Apple clearly recognizes the need for a higher hardware resolution, but instead chose to cheap out and do it via software.
-The Touchbar looks terrible, especially in comparison to the primary display. It really does in real life. Dim, low resolution (at times), seemingly far from the glass surface, and with a much cooler, narrower color gamut than the incredible main display, making it look awful in comparison.
-The fans. I can (barely) hear them doing low power tasks. My old retina 13" was dead silent. This could improve with software.
-iSight camera is still only 720p. Seriously, Apple. In a time of slowing hardware advancements, this is a way you could have continuously improved your product.
-While Intel's fault, and potentially something that could be partially added through software, no UHD Premium video playback support.

Overall, I'm very happy with my MacBook. I definitely plan on upgrading again, probably when 10nm quad-cores are available (if we're not using ARM by then...) for UHD Premium video support, but until then, once the few software quirks have been addressed, I'll be really happy with my machine.

RDreamer

My break safe cord pretty much already saved my computer. Fiance walked right into the damned cord hours after I plugged it in. To be fair she probably wouldn't have if it were white instead of black. Still, it did its job and my computer isn't toast, thankfully.

This may be a case where it simply is what it is, but given Apple's reaction to the battery reviews, this may be a case where this is a software bug, and something that will be improved in a software update over the next few months.

I love my new 15" Pro. My only issues, which I can group into fixable via software and fixable via hardware:

Software:
-The Touchbar software is buggy, as you would expect for new functionality. I've ran into issues where the sound adjustments stop working, or a graphical object persists on the bar until a reboot. Both should be a simple fix.
-The trackpad's palm rejection is buggy, preventing you from using gestures. I've subconsciously changed how I use the trackpad, but Apple should fix this, and it makes me somewhat worried about a bezel-less iPhone in 2017.
-The graphics drivers are unoptimized/buggy, as you can see from a handful of threads online about the new 15" Pros. This'll be fixed in the first or second update I'm sure.

Hardware:
-The screen is only 8-bit. I get it. A 10-bit panel would be a lot for the 530 GPU at 1800p (Thanks Intel), but I really wish they would have gone all-in with the display, rather than this stepping stone of 8-bit wide-color gamut.
-The screen is only 1800p, not 2100p, even though Apple is now scaling to 1050p by default. See the 8-bit reasoning above, but Apple clearly recognizes the need for a higher hardware resolution, but instead chose to cheap out and do it via software.
-The Touchbar looks terrible, especially in comparison to the primary display. It really does in real life. Dim, low resolution (at times), seemingly far from the glass surface, and with a much cooler, narrower color gamut than the incredible main display, making it look awful in comparison.
-The fans. I can (barely) hear them doing low power tasks. My old retina 13" was dead silent. This could improve with software.
-iSight camera is still only 720p. Seriously, Apple. In a time of slowing hardware advancements, this is a way you could have continuously improved your product.
-While Intel's fault, and potentially something that could be partially added through software, no UHD Premium video playback support.

Overall, I'm very happy with my MacBook. I definitely plan on upgrading again, probably when 10nm quad-cores are available (if we're not using ARM by then...) for UHD Premium video support, but until then, once the few software quirks have been addressed, I'll be really happy with my machine.

I can confirm I get some buggy stuff on my touch bar, too. Particularly in Safari it seems to crop up. The outline of the current website seems to stick even when I'm on another.

The trackpad's palm rejection is awful, if it even exists at all. I'm really not sure they have it doing anything.

Software:

Hardware:

Hopefully it's something they can sort out with updates but I've a feeling it's not going to improve too much, which isn't the worst but still not the best. I think it's likely to be a second generation upgrade. Fortunately for the 13" it seems like the palm rejection technology is working as it should be as I've not had any accidental presses or scrolling yet despite regularly resting my hand on it, but for the 15" in particular, given the humungous size of the trackpad, I can definitely see it wanting to be perfect.

The quoted topics are definitely things I've noticed. The 13" I have is pretty quiet so I wouldn't be surprised if the fan noise being slightly present is a 15" 'exclusive' at the moment (possibly related to additional heat generated by the presence of the dGPU?). Touch bar definitely has some bugs (in particular related to when bars, such as the volume bar or a video bar, appear on it, occasionally it seems to get stuck or go black). I'd guess the low quality is to try and reduce the drain on the battery, but it's notably inferior to the main display.

Overall they're very nice machines even if they do have some of that first-generation jank.

WJD

New MacBook Pro order question:

I've got an order processing right now that's giving me a delivery estimate of Dec 14-20. How reliably can I trust that this is legit and it's not going to move until after Christmas? Are Apple normally good with this sort of thing?

Thanks!

New MacBook Pro order question:

I've got an order processing right now that's giving me a delivery estimate of Dec 14-20. How reliably can I trust that this is legit and it's not going to move until after Christmas? Are Apple normally good with this sort of thing?

Thanks!

Unless there are issues with payment or the courier delivering it to you you're most likely to receive it at the beginning or middle of that shipping range. You will almost certainly have it at the end of that range (I would be shocked if not).

Someone is offering MBP Base 15" 2016 with 3 year Applecare for $2050. Should I get it?

Regardless of whether you should buy it or not, do not pay extra to somebody because they have AppleCare on the MacBook you're buying if it's second hand. It is possible to get that refunded through AppleCare (https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT202704) so what could happen is you might buy it, the original owner may get it refunded, and in two year's time you might find out you don't actually have AppleCare as you suspected. With a Mac you have one year to purchase AppleCare anyway, so do not pay extra just because the MacBook you're purchasing has it already (most people will be genuine and won't refund it, but be aware this is possible and could add to the cost). If you do buy it, make sure you get a copy of the original sale's receipt from the owner.

Unless there are issues with payment or the courier delivering it to you you're most likely to receive it at the beginning or middle of that shipping range. You will almost certainly have it at the end of that range (I would be shocked if not).

Regardless of whether you should buy it or not, do not pay extra to somebody because they have AppleCare on the MacBook you're buying if it's second hand. It is possible to get that refunded through AppleCare (https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT202704) so what could happen is you might buy it, the original owner may get it refunded, and in two year's time you might find out you don't actually have AppleCare as you suspected. With a Mac you have one year to purchase AppleCare anyway, so do not pay extra just because the MacBook you're purchasing has it already (most people will be genuine and won't refund it, but be aware this is possible and could add to the cost). If you do buy it, make sure you get a copy of the original sale's receipt from the owner.

$2050 is still worth even if it came without AppleCare.

Edit: You're right. Warranty changed down to 1 year.

Edit 2: I'm so stupid. I'm looking at the warranty of my old laptop. The new one I just purchased has warranty of 2019

My break safe cord pretty much already saved my computer. Fiance walked right into the damned cord hours after I plugged it in. To be fair she probably wouldn't have if it were white instead of black. Still, it did its job and my computer isn't toast, thankfully.

It's frustrating that it only charges at 60W, not 85W. Otherwise I'd pick this up in a second.

Tried the new MBP keyboard in an Apple Store and I definitely like it more than the MB keyboard. It's hard to say what feels better, but it definitely does, enough to make it better than the iPad Pro 12.9" keyboard attachment at least (can't say the same for the MB, which is an embarrassment).

TouchBar definitely needs some UI tweaks here and there (the now-playing iTunes thing looks like it lives in Control Strip but doesn't, the Safari tab browser can't see pinned tabs) but it seems really strong right out of the gate. I'm into it.

Fuchsdh

Presumably with the next revision to the MacBook it'll gain the same keyboard as the MBP. Doesn't seem to be any space issue, they just have better keyswitches.

That's pretty good, although has the intrinsic problem that I'm guessing Apple didn't have a solution in mind for: namely that it looks like a USBC cable but is only used for charging. You can't pass data over that adapter.

This is the troubling problem right now with USBC as a standard - while all of the plugs can multitask, it's not a guarantee that all of the plugs support the same features, or that the cables support the same features either.

Putting magsafe into the cable is the only real solution, but it really just puts the tech at the point where the cable should be color-coded or something to make it totally clear that it doesn't work the same way.

Fuchsdh

That's pretty good, although has the intrinsic problem that I'm guessing Apple didn't have a solution in mind for: namely that it looks like a USBC cable but is only used for charging. You can't pass data over that adapter.

This is the troubling problem right now with USBC as a standard - while all of the plugs can multitask, it's not a guarantee that all of the plugs support the same features, or that the cables support the same features either.

Putting magsafe into the cable is the only real solution, but it really just puts the tech at the point where the cable should be color-coded or something to make it totally clear that it doesn't work the same way.

Well, the benefit to Apple's Thunderbolt solution is that you don't have to worry about issues on the computer side of the device. but yeah, especially with the different rates of power delivery over the same cables, or power delivery combined with USB2 speeds and stuff, it's going to be a nightmare. Such are the teething pains of the one-cable-to-rule-them-all business.

Apath

Does anyone know a USB-C dock I can use with my MacBook Pro 2016? I want to connect two Dell U2414H 1080p monitors, mouse, keyboard, and a USB HDD (Passport) through the dock and have only a single USB-C connection. Price range I'm hoping for is between $100-$200; I just want it to work.

I'm currently running a Dell WD15, however it will only detect both monitors as a single display and mirror them.

Does anyone know a USB-C dock I can use with my MacBook Pro 2016? I want to connect two Dell U2414H 1080p monitors, mouse, keyboard, and a USB HDD (Passport) through the dock and have only a single USB-C connection. Price range I'm hoping for is between $100-$200; I just want it to work.

I'm currently running a Dell WD15, however it will only detect both monitors as a single display and mirror them.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/usb-c/owc/usb-c-dock

Seems to do it if one monitor can do DisplayPort and one can do HDMI

So after fully converting to Apple with the iPhone, I admitted defeat and am trying to get used to Safari on my iPhone.

It's not as easy to use as Firefox on Android (could open multiple tabs so fast), but I can get used to it.

Got me thinking, should I just use Safari on Mac? Ive always used Chrome/Firefox, but Im reading they arent optimized for the Macbook battery life and I mean, I may as well use the stock apps as I assume they are all built to work most effectively with Mac

So after fully converting to Apple with the iPhone, I admitted defeat and am trying to get used to Safari on my iPhone.

It's not as easy to use as Firefox on Android (could open multiple tabs so fast), but I can get used to it.

Got me thinking, should I just use Safari on Mac? Ive always used Chrome/Firefox, but Im reading they arent optimized for the Macbook battery life and I mean, I may as well use the stock apps as I assume they are all built to work most effectively with Mac

Just use Safari. Give in to the dark side

Apath

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/usb-c/owc/usb-c-dock

Seems to do it if one monitor can do DisplayPort and one can do HDMI
Looks like it only has the HDMI port and I do not see anywhere that states it supports two monitors.

I've seen pictures of people online getting the Dell WD15 to work with even three monitors, however I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it to output to my two 1080P monitors. Someone mentioned Display Link (?) drivers, which I went ahead and downloaded. Still nothing.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Firefox is especially terrible on macOS. Like the Mozilla team have just given up even though they keep promising a brand new recreated version coming soon. Plus their cloud syncing options are just meh.

And I gave up on Chrome when Safari became great and Chrome became shit. However I suggest using the Tech Preview right now as it's much better. And you can keep both around if you need to much like Chrome and the Dev/Beta/Canary builds.

Use Safari if just for the awesome syncing and handoff/iCloud tabs stuff. (Not to say both Chrome and Firefox don't have similar features.) Also, as mentioned, the memory and battery stuff. Safari is so much better at managing that stuff.

^Thanks

New dilemma!!

Is 8 GB of RAM enough for my 2015 model?? Or should I go with 256 GB HDD over my current 128 GB?

I dont do stuff like video editing. Mostly watch YT videos and typical web browsing or playing Hearthstone.

Id say I dont take many pics, but Id be transferring pics and files over from my old Mac which are about 25 GB in total

So 16 GB RAM upgrade or 256 GB Flash Drive?

Fuchsdh

^Thanks

New dilemma!!

Is 8 GB of RAM enough for my 2015 model?? Or should I go with 256 GB HDD over my current 128 GB?

I dont do stuff like video editing. Mostly watch YT videos and typical web browsing or playing Hearthstone.

Id say I dont take many pics, but Id be transferring pics and files over from my old Mac which are about 25 GB in total

So 16 GB RAM upgrade or 256 GB Flash Drive?

You can upgrade the flash later (although the compatible sticks I've seen are generally not as fast.) You can allso add on USB micro drives, SD card expansions, and the like. You can't upgrade the RAM. So I'd opt with the latter.

You can upgrade the flash later (although the compatible sticks I've seen are generally not as fast.) You can allso add on USB micro drives, SD card expansions, and the like. You can't upgrade the RAM. So I'd opt with the latter.

Even if I use my Mac for general use?

My old MacBook from 2010 had 4 GB Ram. It's a lot slower now, is that because of RAM?What will happen if I factory reset the 2010 model? Would it be as fast as new, or is it just a problem of modern software taking up tons of RAM?

Will the 8 GB Screw me over in like 3-4 years?

Fuchsdh

Even if I use my Mac for general use?

My old MacBook from 2010 had 4 GB Ram. It's a lot slower now, is that because of RAM?What will happen if I factory reset the 2010 model? Would it be as fast as new, or is it just a problem of modern software taking up tons of RAM?

Will the 8 GB Screw me over in like 3-4 years?

In modern systems you basically have two things that determine how fast your system is: RAM and your storage. The more RAM you have, the more you keep stuff in memory and thus it doesn't get paged to disk. As fast as modern PCIe SSDs are, memory is still faster, so it makes sense to prioritize that.

As for your old computer, it depends. The RAM could have been the reason it felt slow, or it could have been you had a lot of crap on your hard drive slowing things down. In general I've found even with successive OS updates that in general tend to perform less well on old hardware, a clean install of the operating system always makes it feel much much snappier. I do a fresh install of my OS every few years for that reason (it also prevents digital hoarding.)

Another factor worth mentioning is that bandwidth generally improves and cloud storage gets cheaper. You have more options than ever for dealing with a small boot drive. But unless you're handy with desoldering there's nothing you can do about that RAM.

In modern systems you basically have two things that determine how fast your system is: RAM and your storage. The more RAM you have, the more you keep stuff in memory and thus it doesn't get paged to disk. As fast as modern PCIe SSDs are, memory is still faster, so it makes sense to prioritize that.

As for your old computer, it depends. The RAM could have been the reason it felt slow, or it could have been you had a lot of crap on your hard drive slowing things down. In general I've found even with successive OS updates that in general tend to perform less well on old hardware, a clean install of the operating system always makes it feel much much snappier. I do a fresh install of my OS every few years for that reason (it also prevents digital hoarding.)

Another factor worth mentioning is that bandwidth generally improves and cloud storage gets cheaper. You have more options than ever for dealing with a small boot drive. But unless you're handy with desoldering there's nothing you can do about that RAM.

Thanks for so much info. I guess at the end of the day I am trying to determine if anything is worth updating.

Is it better to save my money altogether? If I can move most everything to online storage, maybe I can compromise and be okay with 128 GB/8 GB RAM?

Is it likely that apps, sites, and features in the future will require insane RAM?

Sorry for the questions, I want to make the best choice possible as I will have this MacBook for the next 5 years minimum.

And I did not know all that about resetting the OS. Ill do just that with my old Mac, as its simply accumulated use for 5 years.

BTW, the fans on my old Mac run prettyyy high. Is that due to RAM? I opened and cleaned it as best I could

just an update: talked to Apple support and the guy talked me out of upgrading at all.

He says I should be just fine with 8 GB for the next 5 years and that 128 GB storage should be fine too since I have external storage solutions...

Im thinking it shouldn't be a huge hassle to export all my vids and photos to a USB drive, and then maybe a back up HDD.

A RAM/HDD upgrade won't make my MBP run any faster for another year or two right? I won't have slowdowns faster because of my lower hardware?

Im so illiterate with all this.

Im still wondering why my Old Mac slowed down so much and why its constantly blasting its fans. I cleaned it as best I could (had a LOT of dust build up until I was brave enough to open it), but at this point, Im just going to factory reset it.

He also said for the next 5 years, most software/websites run things for 4 GB of memory, so I should be okay.

I think Ill just sit at 128 GB/8 GB RAM. Im a bit terrified if my MBP will slow down considerably or start heating up 3-4 years down the line, but so tired of overthinking all of this

He also said the old models had hardware parts that caused it to heat up more than modern ones.

Fuchsdh

just an update: talked to Apple support and the guy talked me out of upgrading at all.

He says I should be just fine with 8 GB for the next 5 years and that 128 GB storage should be fine too since I have external storage solutions...

Im thinking it shouldn't be a huge hassle to export all my vids and photos to a USB drive, and then maybe a back up HDD.

A RAM/HDD upgrade won't make my MBP run any faster for another year or two right? I won't have slowdowns faster because of my lower hardware?

Im so illiterate with all this.

Im still wondering why my Old Mac slowed down so much and why its constantly blasting its fans. I cleaned it as best I could (had a LOT of dust build up until I was brave enough to open it), but at this point, Im just going to factory reset it.

He also said for the next 5 years, most software/websites run things for 4 GB of memory, so I should be okay.

I think Ill just sit at 128 GB/8 GB RAM. Im a bit terrified if my MBP will slow down considerably or start heating up 3-4 years down the line, but so tired of overthinking all of this

He also said the old models had hardware parts that caused it to heat up more than modern ones.

Sorta. The larger the SSD generally the faster they perform and the longer-lived they potentially can be due to read failures. But under normal use this shouldn't matter much.

As for your old MBP, there could be a multitude of reasons why it slowed down. If it had a mechanical hard drive that could be the biggest fault point right there.

Still waiting on a fix for that Touch Bar flickering when switching between spaces using gestures or Ctrl + direction.

Pretty jarring transition, and I can't unnotice it now.

With calendar invitations (I got one this morning) you can make a new calendar, move the invite to that one, and then delete the calendar entirely
You are a savior. I am now eternally yours.

Futureman

Just got the Touch Bar display models at the store I work at.

The keyboard is fine, I'm sure I would get use to it but... it's so loud! Like really "click-clacky" loud as you type. Didn't expect that.

Also wish the Touch Bar had haptic feedback.

Thanks Fuchsdh. I am still undecided just because there seems to be so much conflicting reports, but I greatly appreciate the help.

I feel guilty for using my current Mac with the possibility of returning it at the very end to do a trade. I hope that isn't seen as exploitative of the return policy.

On another note, should i upgrade my 2010 MBP (4 GB RAM 250 GB HDD, 2.4 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo) to Sierra?

By the way, my old Mac seems much less loud (fans arent blaring)... I have a bunch of text based tabs open and some windows like disk utility for what it's worth. Maybe because I deleted ~80 GB of data?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
EverythingApplePro did their full review. He both loves and hates the new TouchBar MBP. Says it's literally not even any faster than the previous machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7sqJFe-XBc

He also seems to imply that the keyboard is smaller since keys are closer together. Surely that can't be right. They're just bigger keys, right? They're not actually closer together? Would make no sense to make them closer together. Wouldn't that mess with peoples muscle memory? I mean learning to type on a touchscreen where you can see your hands anyway is one thing, but on a keyboard where you shouldn't be looking at your hands and need to be able to rely on keys always being in the same place seems more important than shrinking the machine.

EverythingApplePro did their full review. He both loves and hates the new TouchBar MBP. Says it's literally not even any faster than the previous machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7sqJFe-XBc

He also seems to imply that the keyboard is smaller since keys are closer together. Surely that can't be right. They're just bigger keys, right? They're not actually closer together? Would make no sense to make them closer together. Wouldn't that mess with peoples muscle memory? I mean learning to type on a touchscreen where you can see your hands anyway is one thing, but on a keyboard where you shouldn't be looking at your hands and need to be able to rely on keys always being in the same place seems more important than shrinking the machine.

Im glad I went with the 2015 model. Im super jealous of the metal unified hinge though.

Never realized until now that the older ones are plastic. Dont know how much better the touchpad is, but Im fine with the smaller trackpad.

One thing though, I find the haptic touchpad to be sticky. Sometimes it feels like its just sticky as opposed to more responsive. Maybe Ill get used to it

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
After something like eight weeks of deliberating back and forth in my head about what computer I wanted to pick up to replace my 2010 iMac (Trying to decide on the inexpensive MacBook Air, MacBook or MacBook Pro 2015/2016) I finally settled on the entry-level 13" MacBook Pro with the HDD bumped up to 512GB.

It was Adorama's killer deal that sealed the deal.

Right now they have the 2.0Ghz/8GB/512GB MacBook Pro for $1,599.99, which was already a $100 price break from what it would cost to bump up the stock MacBook Pro to a 512GB SSD ($1699 through Apple direct.)

On top of that Adorama was also offering AppleCare bundles for $50 off retail price. Now I swear by AppleCare and I figured I would be buying it somewhere along the line anywhere, so I may as well save that money now.

And then on top of that Apple Insider was offering a $100 off Promo Code for use on Adorama.

The icing on the cake is that Adorama, like B&H and Amazon, doesn't charge tax in my state.

So my final total came to $1698.00.

If I were to order the same from Apple I'd be looking at $1699 for the computer, $249 for AppleCare and $199.96 in tax, coming out to $2,147.67. Seemed like a no-brainer to pick it up from Adorama considering I'd be saving almost $450

Now to get one last Time Machine backup from my iMac so I can clean it up (both inside and outside) go ahead and list that for sale. I figure Craigslist will suffice for that or should I be approaching Apple-specific avenues for such things?

M_to_P

Just got my baseline MBP 13" without touchbar in.

My god this thing is pretty! I'm in love with it after using it for less than 3 hours already.

Got it for 1249 Euros thanks to Black Friday, couldn't be happier right now.

Is the new baseline model less powerful than the 2015 model?

2.0GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
256GB PCIe-based SSD1
Intel Iris Graphics 540

vs

2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
128GB PCIe-based SSD1
Intel Iris Graphics 6100

Is the processor and graphics significant? I mean, 540 is much lower than 6100 and how big is 0.7 GHz?

Top Bottom