• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Do it.

Mine is a late 2013 model with a 2.3GHz Haswell. That one is a 2.6 Ivy Bridge. So they're probably close enough. I have a 750M vs. the 650M. And I have 500GB storage. For $1000 you're getting a drive that would have cost that much alone back then. And 16GB RAM is brilliant. I paid $2600 brand new for mine that November. $1000 is a really good deal. If it still works without issue then it's a steal. I mean compare it to what you can get new right now. An Air with a much worse processor and screen and storage? Just go for it. At worst, eventually you could sell it yourself for around the same amount. At best you get a really nice machine that is still pretty powerful even now. (Thank goodness Moore was wrong about that law of his. #Sarcasm)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Looking at a used Mid 2015 15" 2.5ghz , dual vid (Radeon m370x) 16gb 512gb for 1500$

Sounds like a good price? Some people asking 1800-1900 naw

giga

One thing I'd check before buying is how many battery cycles it has left. If not much, you'll need to get a battery service ($200) if you care about portability.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I'd check before buying is how many battery cycles it has left. If not much, you'll need to get a battery service ($200) if you care about portability.
I'm usually plugged in. I know how to check the cycle count, but how many cycles is an "average life"?

Well I did it. I cancelled my maxed out 15" and ordered a base TouchBar 13" and a Razer Blade

I feel kind of dirty but I know I'll be happier in the long run

Do it.

Mine is a late 2013 model with a 2.3GHz Haswell. That one is a 2.6 Ivy Bridge. So they're probably close enough. I have a 750M vs. the 650M. And I have 500GB storage. For $1000 you're getting a drive that would have cost that much alone back then. And 16GB RAM is brilliant. I paid $2600 brand new for mine that November. $1000 is a really good deal. If it still works without issue then it's a steal. I mean compare it to what you can get new right now. An Air with a much worse processor and screen and storage? Just go for it. At worst, eventually you could sell it yourself for around the same amount. At best you get a really nice machine that is still pretty powerful even now. (Thank goodness Moore was wrong about that law of his. #Sarcasm)

That's a good deal if it's still in good shape.

I think I will. It's rarely used. Only when he's had to bring work home. I wish I didn't have to buy tires for my car too...

TheFuzz

Grabbed a 2015 pro for the wife's graduation present for $1099 new. She NEEDS the sd slot and other ports.

Did I do good? Any recommendations for photo editing software?

RDreamer

Can anyone PLEASE help me here. I'm at my wit's end. I spent an hour to an hour and a half this morning trying to get on the internet on my new MBP. Kept getting a "Self assigned IP address" error and I tried literally every fix on the internet there is. Somehow it connected. It worked most of today, but I closed it and went on some errands and came back. Now I'm another 45 minutes into trying to connect to the goddamned internet again going through every single internet trick I can find for this crap and NOTHING is working. At first the internet worked for a second to load one page and then completely dropped. I'd reconnect and it'd work for a second then drop. Now I'm getting the self assigned IP address problem again.

Anyone know what in the world to do with this?

Do you have a functioning DHCP server?

If you know the subnet, gateway, netmask and DHCP range of your network, does your Mac work when set to a static address?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Hi all! I posted this on MacRumors and will also post it in the BST thread. But figured there may be an interested party here... looking to sell my Late 2013 15" Retina MacBook Pro.

2.3Ghz Core i7 Quad Core
16GB DDR3 @ 1600
512GB SSD
Dedicated GPU: 750M w/ 2GB

Condition is very good. Some light "shine" on the keys from use, but nothing severe. No damage to the body or screen at all except for some very light scuffing on the four feet on the bottom, and a tiny, a quarter of a rice grain knick on the top case where the lid is pulled apart with your finger when opening. I could take pics. I can't imagine there being a better looking copy of this model out there unless it just sat on a desk the entire time it's been used. Functionally, it works great. Battery gets me a comfortable 7-8 hours at ~70% brightness using spotify in the background while working in email/safari/office.

Looking for $1,300 via PP Gift/shipped. I have years and years of positive feedback on here - and over a decade and a half of positive feedback on eBay under mattandmacy. I'm firm on the price right now, but certainly feel free to justify a reasonable offer.

Laptop will come with original box in great condition and a charger + extension in great condition.

I'll throw in an extra, official 85W power supply for $50, or an extra two for $90.

BondFancy

Can anyone PLEASE help me here. I'm at my wit's end. I spent an hour to an hour and a half this morning trying to get on the internet on my new MBP. Kept getting a "Self assigned IP address" error and I tried literally every fix on the internet there is. Somehow it connected. It worked most of today, but I closed it and went on some errands and came back. Now I'm another 45 minutes into trying to connect to the goddamned internet again going through every single internet trick I can find for this crap and NOTHING is working. At first the internet worked for a second to load one page and then completely dropped. I'd reconnect and it'd work for a second then drop. Now I'm getting the self assigned IP address problem again.

Anyone know what in the world to do with this?
Do you have anything plugged into your USB-C ports?

RDreamer

After coming from an old MBP with a clickable touchpad my fingers a A LOT more fatigued at the end of the day using this new trackpad/keyboard. Hopefully I get used to it.

Do you have anything plugged into your USB-C ports?

I did, but yeah I tried unplugging it, too, thinking that might be the problem. Doesn't seem so.

I finally got it working after an hour and a half last night. Not entirely sure what actually fixed it since I was just repeating all the stuff over and over again until it took. This morning it was still on the internet so hopefully it's solved....

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Ended up being 112 cycles used btw. about 10% of expected life.

X-Frame

So with the new 2016 MBP, is it okay if I leave it plugged in for power almost all the time? Do I need to be letting it use battery like every day or once a month down to 20%, etc?

Just want to make sure I won't be hurting the battery long-term if 90% of my time using it is with it plugged in, Thanks!

.hacked

6vE3p4S.jpg

I love it 😍

Fuchsdh

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ndon-development-of-wireless-routers-ivs0ssec

:(

I use airplay on the airport express almost daily for my bookshelf speakers.

So do I, but it's not like it's not going to work in the future (AirPlay is going to stick around, and as long as iTunes is a legacy app it'll probably keep all that stuff in.)

Kind of sad, but on the other hand it's hard to argue given the spastic release schedule of everything that's not iOS that Apple needs to refocus its attention.

giga

So do I, but it's not like it's not going to work in the future (AirPlay is going to stick around, and as long as iTunes is a legacy app it'll probably keep all that stuff in.)

Kind of sad, but on the other hand it's hard to argue given the spastic release schedule of everything that's not iOS that Apple needs to refocus its attention.
Can the Express extend third party wifi networks? Eventually I'll be forced to replace my Extreme as it gets outdated (if it isn't already), which the Express extends currently.

I might just have to use the Apple TV or get an AirPlay receiver instead.

Fuchsdh

Can the Express extend third party wifi networks? Eventually I'll be forced to replace my Extreme as it gets outdated (if it isn't already), which the Express extends currently.

I might just have to use the Apple TV or get an AirPlay receiver instead.

I believe extending a non-Apple router requires some tricks, as the later versions of Airport Utility hid the WDS settings you'd need to access to make it happen.

Really the Airports aren't that out of date, the only major improvements have been to .ac wireless speeds. Probably for most people what makes the bigger difference in their wireless quality is whether there's interference or the router is place optimally, rather than being bottlenecked by the speed. Obviously when the next great flavor comes out though there won't be an Apple upgrade path, and the Airport Express were always still stuck at wireless .n anyhow, so they were mostly best for music and other non-intensive bandwidth uses.

giga

I believe extending a non-Apple router requires some tricks, as the later versions of Airport Utility hid the WDS settings you'd need to access to make it happen.

Really the Airports aren't that out of date, the only major improvements have been to .ac wireless speeds. Probably for most people what makes the bigger difference in their wireless quality is whether there's interference or the router is place optimally, rather than being bottlenecked by the speed. Obviously when the next great flavor comes out though there won't be an Apple upgrade path, and the Airport Express were always still stuck at wireless .n anyhow, so they were mostly best for music and other non-intensive bandwidth uses.

Ew, WDS is terrible so I'll pass on that. And the next upgrade for me are mesh networks, like google wifi and eero. When that happens, I'll have to drop the express because it's only used for airplay right now.

RDreamer

So with the new 2016 MBP, is it okay if I leave it plugged in for power almost all the time? Do I need to be letting it use battery like every day or once a month down to 20%, etc?

Just want to make sure I won't be hurting the battery long-term if 90% of my time using it is with it plugged in, Thanks!

I would like to know this too. I keep mine mostly plugged in since I use heavy applications and rarely feel like closing them all up just so I can unplug something. I still would like the ability to have some battery life into the life of this machine, though, so some best practice tips would be great.

jts

...hate me...
Sooo... without Time Capsule or Airport Extreme//Express with a USB external what becomes the defacto Apple sanctioned Time Machine solution?

Plug a hard drive into another router? Does it even work without being a major PITA?

Plug a hard drive straight to the computer? Going backwards instead of forwards, in an era where ports are scarce?

iCloud? Reliability, pricing and speed aside it doesn't support Time Machine, although it can backup more and more stuff these days. But it's not Time Machine.

SSDs are a lot less sudden failure prone, but then again they come soldered to the logic board now.

Apple please.

giga

Sooo... without Time Capsule or Airport Extreme//Express with a USB external what becomes the defacto Apple sanctioned Time Machine solution?

Plug a hard drive into another router? Does it even work without being a major PITA?

Plug a hard drive straight to the computer? Going backwards instead of forwards, in an era where ports are scarce?

iCloud? Reliability, pricing and speed aside it doesn't support Time Machine, although it can backup more and more stuff these days. But it's not Time Machine.

SSDs are a lot less sudden failure prone, but then again they come soldered to the logic board now.

Apple please.

backblaze

Fuchsdh

backblaze

Though it won't be as dead simple, I know some people using their NAS or attached router storage as Time Machine volumes too. But Backblaze or another offsite backup is pretty essential as a secondary backup method anyhow for redundancy.

(Backblaze is still choking on my VHS transfers though. It seems to have major issues with large files. Everything else of my 5.5TB has gone fine.)

Ambitious

Though it won't be as dead simple, I know some people using their NAS or attached router storage as Time Machine volumes too. But Backblaze or another offsite backup is pretty essential as a secondary backup method anyhow for redundancy.

(Backblaze is still choking on my VHS transfers though. It seems to have major issues with large files. Everything else of my 5.5TB has gone fine.)

That's what I do. My Synology NAS supports Time Machine. Haven't had any issues.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
EverythingApplePro did some experiments with the new MBP models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rvpq8LopLU

Plugging chargers into all four ports, will it kill your machine?

Spoiler:
Well, he apparently killed his machine with just two.

Then he keeps going.

Uses a USB Killer to try and kill things.

Yanks on the USB C cable as if it were a MagSafe to see how easily it comes out.

Spoiler:
Not easily at all. He destroys the port and the cable.

Also trying to blow out the speakers.

I wish he'd done a normal real-world test of tripping over the power cable and seeing how far the machine slides before the cable pulls out.

giga

Sitting in a coffee shop with my MacBook Escape and its portability is such a pleasure right now. Can't imagine doing this with the 15" without it being unwieldy. This experience might force me to go iMac + MBPe.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Sitting in a coffee shop with my MacBook Escape and its portability is such a pleasure right now. Can't imagine doing this with the 15" without it being unwieldy. This experience might force me to go iMac + MBPe.
until they don't make the iMac any more ;p

BondFancy

What are the reasons to go with a 2016 15" vs. 2015 15". The only reasons I'm seeing are better speakers, display, touch bar, and thunderbolt 3. It appears the 2015 15" is faster in benchmarks, has better iGPU, better keyboard, better battery, cheaper, and HDMI/USB 3.0/MagSafe. I just find it too difficult to justify buying an older model. Cost isn't the main issue, it's the comprimises Apple made to make this thing smaller. This purchase has been such a roller coaster, I keep going back and forth on whether I should get the old 15" or new 15". It shouldn't be this hard to buy my first Apple computer.

Top Bottom