• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

RDreamer

What did you buy? Sounds like a MBP minus the retina screen.

Right, that's what I wanted. But at the store they said it did not have an optical drive. That confused me, since someone here pointed out that when you put it in your cart on apple's store it says it does. But he gave me 5% off the computer and 5% off the superdrive anyway (which came out to the same amount the drive costed). But I just opened it up and it has a drive. So ... I did buy the right one, right? lol The specs match the website.

RBH

Looks like I'll be getting the 13" MBA (first Mac laptop).

I just had a question though about whether it's worth the money to move up from 4GB RAM to 8GB.

I'm only going to be using it for mundane stuff (Internet, MSWord, Netflix, iTunes, occasional iMovie) and I usually have around 15 tabs open at once in Chrome along with a few PDFs. Just uncertain if getting 8GB RAM would be worthwhile in this case or not.

Wait a sec. Finally got home with the new computer and I'm so confused. It does have a disc drive... So I just got a superdrive for free for no reason? Huh?
That sounds like you got an "old" current gen MBP, I don't think the new ones (either the spec-bump models or the retinas) are in retail stores yet.

It should be pretty obvious just by looking at it if you got a new or old one. If it has a built-in drive that is definitely not the new retina model.

If you were just looking for the spec-bump model (with built-in optical drive) you should look closer as I don't think they were in retail stores today. You probably got a last-gen model, although they look identical.

Tobor

Right, that's what I wanted. But at the store they said it did not have an optical drive. That confused me, since someone here pointed out that when you put it in your cart on apple's store it says it does. But he gave me 5% off the computer and 5% off the superdrive anyway (which came out to the same amount the drive costed). But I just opened it up and it has a drive. So ... I did buy the right one, right? lol The specs match the website.

Lol, sounds like you got a confused employee. Where did you buy it?

RDreamer

That sounds like you got an "old" current gen MBP, I don't think the new ones (either the spec-bump models or the retinas) are in retail stores yet.

It should be pretty obvious just by looking at it if you got a new or old one. If it has a built-in drive that is definitely not the new retina model.

I know it's not the retina model. The spec-bumps are in retail stores. I called them up to make sure and then went in to get one. They didn't have them on the floor, but they were telling me they got them in boxes and everything in the back. The retina ones aren't, though. But I made sure to state I wanted the new spec bump. And they even brought out an old one at first and the guy made sure to send them back for the new ones from today. But it does have an optical drive. The guy I wasn't working with had kind of injected into things near the end and said it didn't have one, and then offered me the discount on the super drive.

If you were just looking for the spec-bump model (with built-in optical drive) you should look closer as I don't think they were in retail stores today. You probably got a last-gen model, although they look identical.

What exactly am I looking for? As I said, everything on the box is exactly the same as on the site.

I know it's not the retina model. The spec-bumps are in retail stores. I called them up to make sure and then went in to get one. They didn't have them on the floor, but they were telling me they got them in boxes and everything in the back. The retina ones aren't, though. But I made sure to state I wanted the new spec bump. And they even brought out an old one at first and the guy made sure to send them back for the new ones from today. But it does have an optical drive. The guy I wasn't working with had kind of injected into things near the end and said it didn't have one, and then offered me the discount on the super drive.

What exactly am I looking for? As I said, everything on the box is exactly the same as on the site.
Sounds like you got the new spec-bump model but the employee was confused about that and the retina model. The spec-bumped MBPs still have optical drives. In terms of making sure you got a spec-bump and not last-gen... does it say Ivy Bridge anywhere?

Also look to see if the GPUs is NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, that's the new one I believe.

RDreamer

Sounds like you got the new spec-bump model but the employee was confused about that and the retina model. The spec-bumped MBPs still have optical drives. In terms of making sure you got a spec-bump and not last-gen... does it say Ivy Bridge anywhere?

It says 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 ... etc. etc. That's ivy bridge right?

Blastoise

Banned
Oh god. I have money, but I also have a great 2011 13" MBA. I don't need the rentina MBP but I want it. 15" is also too big for my day to day use. Please list as many negatives as you can. I'm two clicks away from having it shipped.

RDreamer

Yes, you bought the right computer. Yes, it's supposed to have an optical drive. Yes, the employee at the store gave you a free external superdrive.

Ok then. That's what I was assuming, it was just all rather weird, since I still have a hard time finding anything about the optical drive on the store anyway, and that's even what the guy in the apple store pointed to.

Well, guess I can sell the superdrive then, and recoup some of my cost. Woo.

njean777

Ok then. That's what I was assuming, it was just all rather weird, since I still have a hard time finding anything about the optical drive on the store anyway, and that's even what the guy in the apple store pointed to.

Well, guess I can sell the superdrive then, and recoup some of my cost. Woo.

Or you can return the superdrive to apple and do right to them just like they did to you?

RDreamer

Or you can return the superdrive to apple and do right to them just like they did to you?

Or I could sell it and use that money to help fix my wife's iPhone, which I'm still pissed they refuse to fucking fix. It's under warranty and they said one of the water thingies was tripped, and it's never been wet. So my wife can't use her phone at all for music or sound alarms or anything. She'd have to pay 200 bucks to fix a phone that's less than a year old and should be covered for normal use.

Tobor

Or I could sell it and use that money to help fix my wife's iPhone, which I'm still pissed they refuse to fucking fix. It's under warranty and they said one of the water thingies was tripped, and it's never been wet. So my wife can't use her phone at all for music or sound alarms or anything. She'd have to pay 200 bucks to fix a phone that's less than a year old and should be covered for normal use.

She had it in the bathroom when she took a shower. I'd bet money on it.

RDreamer

She had it in the bathroom when she took a shower. I'd bet money on it.

She had it in the room, near the door. I'd say that's normal use. And the apple people even said themselves that was normal use and it's "specially designed" so that shouldn't trip it. But it did.

Ordered my MBP Retina, upgraded processor, 512GB, and 16GB of RAM. Really excited.

When I check my order it says" Ships: 7- 10 business days" and "Delivers: Jun 25 - Jun 28 via 2-3 Business Days"

Disappointing seeing that I paid the extra $15 thinking I'd get it in 2-3 days. Really don't wanna wait that long for the price I paid....

What are you using it for? That seems like a lot.

Blastoise

Banned
Alright I've decided I'm going to wait for the second generation of retina display MacBooks. That means I can finally build a gaming PC with my $2500.

Rootbeer

Banned
16GB of DDR3 1600 in a laptop is just crazy. For $200 more it's not an unreasonable upgrade for the price, but I simply do not believe I could need that much, even in the coming 2 or 3 years. But... since we are hearing that the ram is not upgradable... it might not be a bad investment, especially for future resale value.

I am eyeing a base 15" retina with the extra ram (16GB) but I'm tempted to just wait for next year's model where they'll have worked out any issues we aren't aware of yet. Apple's first gen products have a history of this where they have to make compromises to get the initial product out the door... the first ipad, iphone and macbook air are all examples of this. 2nd gen tends to have better shelf life

Cheebo

Banned
Wish they did retina on the MBA but went ahead and ordered a fully decked out 11' with

2.0GHz Intel Dual-Core Core i7
8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB Flash Storage

Should easily be good enough to last me about 4 years. By that time MBA's with Retina should be pretty reasonably priced (reasonable for Apple that is).

Kem0sabe

I´m wondering what kind of work someone will do on a 15' display that justifies the kind of dpi and resolution this retina display is putting out.

To redo your OS, you can redownload the recovery partition from Apples servers by holding Cmd+r upon bootup. The machine will then download the recovery image from Apple and install it to your new ssd. You can either install Lion fresh at that point, or use disk utility in the recovery partition to clone your existing installation from your mechanical drive (this will require a external hookup) then just reboot and your system will be the exact same as it was before.

Thanks a lot for the info :)

Tobor

I´m wondering what kind of work someone will do on a 15' display that justifies the kind of dpi and resolution this retina display is putting out.

One very good example was given in the keynote. Video editors can now look at native 1080P video in the preview window while still having room for timelines and other UI elements on screen.

For most use cases, you will be running the display at the equivalent of 1440x900 doubled, so UI elements are incredibly crisp and clear.

Kem0sabe

One very good example was given in the keynote. Video editors can now look at native 1080P video in the preview window while still having room for timelines and other UI elements on screen.

For most use cases, you will be running the display at the equivalent of 1440x900 doubled, so UI elements are incredibly crisp and clear.

Yeah, but i don´t know anyone who works with video or graphic design that enjoys or even wants to work on a laptop, and a 15' one at that.

If your a professional working on the road, it might have it´s uses, otherwise i can´t see a reason to upgrade from the previous line... just for the screen, other specs are nice tho.

RDreamer

If anyone was wondering, Diablo 3 runs smooth as hell on the new 15" MBP (non-retina). It's even on mostly high settings, too.

I'm really having a hard time adjusting to the new trackpads. I think the ones from my last MBP (from 2007) were the best hands down. This one just sucks in comparison. It's far too hard to click, and I keep getting right clicks when I mean to regular click, since I'm used to using my pointer finger to click while I use my middle finger for moving around. Really annoying. I had to change the setting so the right click was in the right corner, but I don't really like that so much. Oh well, guess I'll have to get used to it. I might move my designing to a mouse, though.

Yeah, but i don´t know anyone who works with video or graphic design that enjoys or even wants to work on a laptop, and a 15' one at that.

I personally love working on a laptop. I can move my work to wherever I am, and work from home or at work or wherever. I'm also one of the few designers that doesn't use a mouse, though. I loved using my trackpad on my old laptop.

8 GB of RAM in the new MacBook Air is definitely worth it in my opinion. To me with Lion, 8 GB is new 4 GB.

I love the fact that they offered 16 GB in the retina MBPs and I like the fact that it's not too expensive. Very good stuff.

I think I'm about to buy my first Mac. But before I do, I have a quick question.

Do I opt for the faster processor on the 11" MBA (1.7 to 2.0) or the extra RAM (4 to 8GB)?

This will be my main laptop/home computer. It will be used for surfing the web, word processing and light photo editing in iPhoto or Aperture.

I'm also considering the 13" MBA with 8GB RAM but with the 1.8 processor.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Checking photos out on the field, being able to check print material at the proper dpi, etc. etc.

I'm thinking that anything related to print such as magazine design or whatever would be amazing.

Plus when you're drawing or illustrating it'll be even crisper.

Though honestly I would still much rather get a 30" 2560x1600 display, but if I'm going to get a work laptop this will be it.

Cheebo

Banned
I think I'm about to buy my first Mac. But before I do, I have a quick question.

Do I opt for the faster processor on the 11" MBA (1.7 to 2.0) or the extra RAM (4 to 8GB)?

This will be my main laptop/home computer. It will be used for surfing the web, word processing and light photo editing in iPhoto or Aperture.

Yes upgrade the specs if it's your main computer. Well worth the few hundred extra and will add a few years of usefulness on it. If you can only upgrade one of two I'd say go with ram.

RBH

Upgrade the RAM.

The difference between 1.7 and 2.0 isn't significant enough for the price and wouldn't really be that noticeable, so I would just leave it at 1.7.

Soybean

The fact that text is crisper is enough justification. Same justification for all the Apple Retina displays.

Kem0sabe

Like someone mentioned, i would much rather have a 30' display of this quality. My personal problem with laptops, in general not just with this one, is one of posture.

The small screen and the fact that it´s not eye level doesnt lend itself for extended work on them. Currently using a 27' imac at home and at work.

Any word on if Apple is working on a retina like display for their imac range? the added dpi would be a blessing. Although i imagine the nightmarish specs an imac 27' imac with that quality would command.

RDreamer

Holy god how do you guys use this trackpad? It's so slow and clunky. I really miss my old one. Why in the world did they get rid of the dedicated button. Agh, my design work is going to be hell for the next few months.

Holy god how do you guys use this trackpad? It's so slow and clunky. I really miss my old one. Why in the world did they get rid of the dedicated button. Agh, my design work is going to be hell for the next few months.

Slow? Seems pretty fast compared to what I've used on the PC side. And well, if I have to do any photoshop work that's what bluetooth mice are for...

RDreamer

Slow? Seems pretty fast compared to what I've used on the PC side. And well, if I have to do any photoshop work that's what bluetooth mice are for...

I'm comparing it to the old MBP touch pads. Yeah PC touch pads were always awful, but the one on the 2007 MBP was godly. My problem now is that I move my curser with my middle finger and "click" with my pointer finger, since there was a button at the bottom on the old MBPs. Well, when I click, since I do it very fast it triggers as a right-click instead of just a freaking click. So now I have to try and physically lift my middle finger and consciously click after it's lifted. Clicking with my middle finger seems weird, and the click itself is far too clunky and hard. And click dragging is crazy now, too, because I have to consciously lift, click, then put my other finger back on...

And yeah, I know most designers use mice, but I almost can't use them anymore. I've grown so used to just using the touchpad that it's kind of odd going back. I spent the last 5 years literally never touching a mouse!

Rootbeer

Banned
I use trackpad for gestures or for browsing websites, but for most other things you should have a dedicated mouse.

You don't do "design work" with a trackpad, ever.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Like someone mentioned, i would much rather have a 30' display of this quality. My personal problem with laptops, in general not just with this one, is one of posture.

The small screen and the fact that it´s not eye level doesnt lend itself for extended work on them. Currently using a 27' imac at home and at work.

Any word on if Apple is working on a retina like display for their imac range? the added dpi would be a blessing. Although i imagine the nightmarish specs an imac 27' imac with that quality would command.

Just thinking about how expensive a 30" retina display is going to be melted my brain.

RDreamer

You don't do "design work" with a trackpad, ever.

You do if the trackpad is great, like the old one was. Seriously, it was just as quick and good as a mouse, to me, and it made everything else quicker since my hand was constantly next to the keyboard rather than off to the side on a mouse.

Wha? People miss the dedicated button? The multi-touch pad is a million times faster. I hated that old one.

Well, I would still want a multi-touch surface. Better touch tool is amazing so far, and I wouldn't want to give that up. I just want a button where I know when I hit that thing it's a regular click no matter how many fingers I've got anywhere. It makes things easier and quicker.

Oppo

If your a professional working on the road, it might have it´s uses, otherwise i can´t see a reason to upgrade from the previous line... just for the screen, other specs are nice tho.

Well... as another anecdotal point, I know lots of video editors who use macbooks to do rough cuts on location. (I recall the last interview I read with Steven Soderbergh, who was editing Haywire on his MBP at a hotel bar).

For myself, a good fast laptop with a sharp screen is excellent for showing off your work to clients, and making little tweaks in a meeting, while discussing layouts. Then when you get home there's no copying fresh files over to the desk computer, you just hook up the monitor/usb and keep going.

Seems a lot of people are applying print-level colour calibration issues to everything, but remember that on the web and video, you are dealing with a huge range of calibrations for your output product, which often means sRGB. These IPS screens are more than up to that task.

The thing that actually excites me as much as the retina display on the new models is the two thunderbolt ports. and of course the sexiness.

Everyone at my agency has MacBooks with external monitors. The industry as a whole is using way more contractors and freelance, as well, which means having a badass laptop is sometimes a requirement to get a job.

For someone who wants to try to get into iOS development is there any reason to NOT buy a mac mini?

They seem to be the cheapest entry into a mac, and I do not need a monitor because I already have a decent 24" with HDMI

I'm not really worried about waiting until its updated with Ivy Bridge because I doubt I would ever use it for gaming so the current minimum i5 / HD3000 seems like it would be perfectly fine for xcode

However I've never owned a mac so I'm just wondering if there is any reason to hold off or get a different product instead

The iMac does seem like a better value since it comes with keyboard/mouse and one of the best quality monitors on the market, but I think for now I'd rather just spend the least amount as possible

Alchemy

Unless OS X applications are different then Windows, I would go for the processor. The upgrade is from an i5 to an i7 that has a difference of 700Hz when using Turbo Boost (the maximum the CPU can run at). The RAM should only be a factor if you're running lots of programs at the same time, because applications have a hard limit for how much RAM they use.

Doesn't OS X also put programs to sleep to reduce their memory foot print when they're minimized? Unless you're planning on running all these programs concurrently the RAM shouldn't be that important. I think most x64 programs still have a hard cap of 3GB RAM usage (at least in Windows).

Alchemy

For someone who wants to try to get into iOS development is there any reason to NOT buy a mac mini?

They seem to be the cheapest entry into a mac, and I do not need a monitor because I already have a decent 24" with HDMI

I'm not really worried about waiting until its updated with Ivy Bridge because I doubt I would ever use it for gaming so the current minimum i5 / HD3000 seems like it would be perfectly fine for xcode

However I've never owned a mac so I'm just wondering if there is any reason to hold off or get a different product instead

The iMac does seem like a better value since it comes with keyboard/mouse and one of the best quality monitors on the market, but I think for now I'd rather just spend the least amount as possible

I got whatever generation was the last to get a disc drive for the same purpose and it works well enough. I also moved it over to be my main HTPC, drives 720p video easily. I think it depends on application scope you're interested in developing. If you're doing 3D gaming and want to challenge Infinity Blade to a visual dance off you'll want a fancier dev machine.

Top Bottom