• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

dark_chris

Is there any other difference besides running a lot of programs if i choose 8GB or 16GB of RAM?

I'm very disappointed that the new Macbook Pros don't have anti-glare options, particularly since my campus gets very bright and becomes hard to see a glossy screen or if I want to use it outside on a sunny day. I'll be sticking to my 2010 anti-glare model instead..

Yep, a great future awaits us...Wouldn't be that bad if those upgrades weren't so ridiculously expensive.

Ya, solidifies that I definitely won't be updating my macbook pro this year. Hopefully next year it will be reasonable in prices/trickle down. I just noticed they completely dropped the 17" too.

Arcteryx

Is there any other difference besides running a lot of programs if i choose 8GB or 16GB of RAM?

I'm very disappointed that the new Macbook Pros don't have anti-glare options, particularly since my campus gets very bright and becomes hard to see a glossy screen or if I want to use it outside on a sunny day. I'll be sticking to my 2010 anti-glare model instead..

Yep, another reason why I won't be picking up Retina in the near future.

falconzss

Ya, solidifies that I definitely won't be updating my macbook pro this year. Hopefully next year it will be reasonable in prices/trickle down. I just noticed they completely dropped the 17" too.

Yeah they silently got rid of it. I need to get a new MacBook though. My old 2006 Pro is done for and I hoped the 13" Pro would receive a good update...Now it is still stuck with its crappy resolution. My only option now is basically an Air with 8Gb Ram and 256 SSD...even though I didn't want to pay more than 1200 to 1300 for my next machine :/

Magni

Since I travel a shit load I prefer the Airs now. Portability triumphs power and res for me.

If you can afford it and want it buy it. It is bleeding edge tech and is going to be expensive. Otherwise I would wait for the 2nd revision as that is when Apple usually perfects it.

The Air has a better resolution anyways (over the non-retina of course).

Here's my dilemna GAF: I want a 13" Mac. I don't care about Superdrive or Ethernet (kinda, the dongle will have to do I guess). I do care about resolution though. I kinda care about weight, but my girlfriend's 2011 13" MBP doesn't feel heavy to me.

If the MBP had the 1440x900 like the Air instead of 1280x800, I wouldn't even be hesitating. But it doesn't, soooo

• Is the Air not too weak CPU-wise? The most intensive thing I'll be doing is software development (RoR/JS, maybe some mobile dev)
  • What about stockage? I know SSD's are much better than HDDs (especially 5,400rpm's *shudders*), but I'm scared of filling it up too quickly. I'm not a hoarder by any means, but I still have over 150 GB of data on my main PC right now.

Thanks guys!

Urg. Such an insulting "upgrade" to the Mac Pro, they really should just kill it or lay out their future plans for desktops.

£2000 for near 3-year old tech is a fucking travesty.

Saltiness aside those retina MacBooks are something else.

Enco

Yep, another reason why I won't be picking up Retina in the near future.
Supposedly the retina screen reduces glare by 75%.

I wish the Mac had the same games as PC. Would make me switch over from Windows. Until then, I'll stick with Windows as my main computer.

falconzss

The Air has a better resolution anyways (over the non-retina of course).

Here's my dilemna GAF: I want a 13" Mac. I don't care about Superdrive or Ethernet (kinda, the dongle will have to do I guess). I do care about resolution though. I kinda care about weight, but my girlfriend's 2011 13" MBP doesn't feel heavy to me.

If the MBP had the 1440x900 like the Air instead of 1280x800, I wouldn't even be hesitating. But it doesn't, soooo

• Is the Air not too weak CPU-wise? The most intensive thing I'll be doing is software development (RoR/JS, maybe some mobile dev)
  • What about stockage? I know SSD's are much better than HDDs (especially 5,400rpm's *shudders*), but I'm scared of filling it up too quickly. I'm not a hoarder by any means, but I still have over 150 GB of data on my main PC right now.

Thanks guys!

I'm having the exact same problem...

You should be fine doing software development on the Air. Read about several Gaffers that use it for just that. In terms of storage...well that depends on you and the amount of stuff you have to have on your machine at any time. I'd definitely take a SSD over a HDD any time. That's also the reason why an Air feels faster than the 13" Pro.

soco

I'm having the exact same problem...

You should be fine doing software development on the Air. Read about several Gaffers that use it for just that. In terms of storage...well that depends on you and the amount of stuff you have to have on your machine at any time. I'd definitely take a SSD over a HDD any time. That's also the reason why an Air feels faster than the 13" Pro.

i do a lot of software dev on mine, and it holds up pretty fine, but most of what i'm doing doesn't require long compiles. once the fans start up it gets a bit obnoxious.

falconzss

i do a lot of software dev on mine, and it holds up pretty fine, but most of what i'm doing doesn't require long compiles. once the fans start up it gets a bit obnoxious.

Are the Pro's in generell better in that regard? My 15" Pro (granted late 2006) is also annoying as hell as soon as the fans start spinning.

JackEtc

This didn't get answered in the WWDC thread so I'll ask here:

How will gaming on the new MBPs work? Just go into a game's settings and set it to 1920x1200?

Also, does everything think a 512GB drive in a MBP is still enough for bootcamp Windows?

LProtag

How will gaming on the new MBPs work? Just go into a game's settings and set it to 1920x1200?

Also, does everything think a 512GB drive in a MBP is still enough for bootcamp Windows?

I have bootcamp on my laptop now with a 160GB drive.

What do you mean how will gaming work? And hard drive space is only something you will know.... I've gotten by with a 160gb drive for bootcamp windows. It depends on what you're doing and how much data you want to store on it. No one can answer that question but you...

Darn, I was hoping the MBA would have a bump in resolution. Now it's harder to figure out if I should get it or Zenbook Prime (1900x1080). I do prefer Windows 7.

JackEtc

What do you mean how will gaming work? And hard drive space is only something you will know.... I've gotten by with a 120gb drive for bootcamp windows. It depends on what you're doing and how much data you want to store on it. No one can answer that question but you...

Gaming (which is what I'd be using the Windows bootcamp for, a few steam games) at retina resolution at a decent frame rate isn't going to happen, so I was wondering if there was any scaling on Apple's side or something, or we'll just be setting it to a lower res in a games settings.

Gaming (which is what I'd be using the Windows bootcamp for, a few steam games) at retina resolution at a decent frame rate isn't going to happen, so I was wondering if there was any scaling on Apple's side or something, or we'll just be setting it to a lower res in a games settings.

I don't know what you mean by scaling on apple's side. When you go to a lower resolution it has to scale to make that resolution or do you just mean 1:1 scaling? That's has to getting the right multiple of the screen, not anything else.

Allegedly Blizzard has a special version of D3 for the retina display.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

You can always game on a lower resolution.

the display supports other resolutions.

Ovid

I'm happy about the Macbook updates. I'm in the market for a new laptop and didn't realize until this past weekend that there would be an announcement this month.

Goodbye Dell...and hello Apple.

My laptop will mainly be used for browsing the web. Should I get a MBA or MBP?

falconzss

Thoughts on how Civ 5 and Diablo III might run on the new 13" Airs? I know that Airs have struggled with both games, so far.

I've seen videos of people playing Diablo 3 on the Macbook Air even though on low settings. Guess the new Airs should be doing fine (low/ maybe medium?) settings.

soco

Are the Pro's in generell better in that regard? My 15" Pro (granted late 2006) is also annoying as hell as soon as the fans start spinning.

Couldn't say for sure, but I'd bet they're the same way. it might be slightly less because they have more room.

again, it really just depends on the size. my mba handles compiling smaller apps just fine, but when grabbing macports apps and building them, it'll ramp the fans up all the way and it starts to sound like an airplane.

Chris R

Thoughts on how Civ 5 and Diablo III might run on the new 13" Airs? I know that Airs have struggled with both games, so far.

Diablo III should run better, but Civ5 will still be a pain to play late game on larger maps (due to the slower CPU).

I've played both on my '11 13" MBA though, and with the right setup they are playable, just not ideal by any means.

falconzss

I'm happy about the Macbook updates. I'm in the market for a new laptop and didn't realize until this past weekend that there would be an announcement this month.

Then get an Air. Standard flash storage and higher resolution display are a big plus compared to the Pro (unless you mean the newly introduced Pro's).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It kind of bums me out that the baseline resolution of new MBP retina is 1440x900, so in terms of usable space I already have as much on a 13" screen.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning

with the asymmetric fan blades on the Retina MBP lineup, you'll actually hear negative noise as the RPMs ramp up. they've been engineered in such a way to absorb the surrounding wind noise completely. it's a level of design and thoughtfulness that you'll find on no other laptop and from no other manufacturer. long 1080p renders in Premiere using the new OpenCL engine will generate the same dB level as an iPad.*

* may or may not be true.

How flexible are these unibody builds? For the new 13' non-retina MPB would I be able to upgrade ram, graphics, and HDD (to SSD) myself?

If it's like previous editions, RAM and HDD are swappable but outside of a few outlandish weird PC laptops graphics are always soldered in no matter what laptop you buy.

Talon

MBA. MBPs are powerful machines.

Diablo III should run better, but Civ5 will still be a pain to play late game on larger maps (due to the slower CPU).

I've played both on my '11 13" MBA though, and with the right setup they are playable, just not ideal by any means.

Oh, huh. That's interesting. I had no idea. I'd heard that they were basically unplayable on Airs. Does "playable" but "not ideal" including rubbing your brow and clenching your fists in frustration? Haha.

In any case, maybe the bump on these new units will make these games slightly more doable.

Talon

Oh, huh. That's interesting. I had no idea. I'd heard that they were basically unplayable on Airs. Does "playable" but "not ideal" including rubbing your brow and clenching your fists in frustration? Haha.

In any case, maybe the bump on these new units will make these games slightly more doable.
I've heard that the 13" MBAs from last year were running Diablo III fine at average setting.

This year's are packing Intel HD 4000s, so they should prove to a sizable improvement compared to the HD 3000.

falconzss

soco said:
Couldn't say for sure, but I'd bet they're the same way. it might be slightly less because they have more room.

again, it really just depends on the size. my mba handles compiling smaller apps just fine, but when grabbing macports apps and building them, it'll ramp the fans up all the way and it starts to sound like an airplane.

I guess that's case with most machines under heavy load. I'd be satisfied if the Air ran silently most of the time as my Pro is loud basically 90% of the time.

with the asymmetric fan blades on the Retina MBP lineup, you'll actually hear negative noise as the RPMs ramp up. they've been engineered in such a way to absorb the surrounding wind noise completely. it's a level of design and thoughtfulness that you'll find on no other laptop and from no other manufacturer. long 1080p renders in Premiere using the new OpenCL engine will generate the same dB level as an iPad.*

* may or may not be true.

Impressive, sadly only in the new retina Pro's with no 13" model available. I've been referring more to the Pro line up until now.

Chris R

For Diablo 3 I have it running at native resolution with every setting as low as it will go. The game runs at ~25 fps for the most part, but if the action gets hectic it will slow down to half that.

For CivV I run it again at native resolution with every setting as low as it will go, and after about 1/2 of the game I switch into strategic mode to keep it from getting really slow :(

soco

I guess that's case with most machines under heavy load. I'd be satisfied if the Air ran silently most of the time as my Pro is loud basically 90% of the time.

mine is quiet 99% of the time. again mostly smaller or web apps, but I do keep mysql, apache, chrome with a bunch of tabs, and netbeans open almost all of the time. can even keep parallels and some apps open without hearing it. it's pretty efficient. occasionally some processes run awry, but that's always the case.

moozoom

Hi, I've been wondering what exactly they've updated on the Mac Pros ?

I'd like to buy a new machine, as I have some money to spend, but I'm not sure what Mac to choose... I work mainly at home, and I do illustrations, some 3d stuff and a bit of web design. A machine capable of PC gaming with boot camp would be a nice plus, but not required, as it will be mainly a work station.

The new MacBook pro looks hot, but I don't really need a portable machine, and maybe it's a waste to use it only as a desk computer.
I could replace or complete my actual aging Mac pro with a new one, but I've read that todays update is not really worth it... I'm not really good with processors and stuff, but by what I understand, the iMacs and MacBooks have still better processors and graphic cards than the Mac pro ?

Is a 27" iMac a good choice right now, or will it be soon updated with new displays and processors ? I'm lost... last Mac I bought, they updated the machines 2 months later, and my new Mac was suddenly outdated. ( it was a big change and made updating the graphic card impossible )

If anybody could help me understand better, that would be very cool.

Top Bottom