• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

falconzss

mine is quiet 99% of the time. again mostly smaller or web apps, but I do keep mysql, apache, chrome with a bunch of tabs, and netbeans open almost all of the time. can even keep parallels and some apps open without hearing it. it's pretty efficient. occasionally some processes run awry, but that's always the case.

Glad you brought up Parallels since I was just about to ask. How does running Parallels affect the overall battery life? I have to use Parallels for Visual Studio since we're using it at University.

soco

Glad you brought up Parallels since I was just about to ask. How does running Parallels affect the overall battery life? I have to use Parallels for Visual Studio since we're using it at University.

i haven't run visual studio in it since I've been using monodevelop natively for my C# stuff, but using tableau and such i haven't noticed a degrade in battery life when using it. there definitely seems to be a hit, but it seem huge. i think i've been about 2 hours+ and still not even approached 25%. again, it's likely going to depend on how heavy the cpu usage is.

Magni

mine is quiet 99% of the time. again mostly smaller or web apps, but I do keep mysql, apache, chrome with a bunch of tabs, and netbeans open almost all of the time. can even keep parallels and some apps open without hearing it. it's pretty efficient. occasionally some processes run awry, but that's always the case.

Thanks for the replies, and thanks for bringing Parallels up as well. I'm leaning closer and closer to the 1.8Ghz Air with 8 GB of RAM.

falconzss

i haven't run visual studio in it since I've been using monodevelop natively for my C# stuff, but using tableau and such i haven't noticed a degrade in battery life when using it. there definitely seems to be a hit, but it seem huge. i think i've been about 2 hours+ and still not even approached 25%. again, it's likely going to depend on how heavy the cpu usage is.

Thanks, sounds great. Guess I'm going to buy an Air in the upcoming weeks.

FStop7

Banned
That is a really disappointing hardware update for the Mac Pro. Still using 5xxx series Radeons? Are you serious?

I've been nursing my 2008 Mac Pro along for a long time now, and this is not a good sign for the future.

I would probably just go ahead and switch to Windows now, but I'm locked into OSX specific licenses for Lightroom, Photoshop, and ZBrush.

I've heard that the 13" MBAs from last year were running Diablo III fine at average setting.

I have a 13 inch MBA from two years ago and it runs really well on average settings. The problem is what it does to the fan. LOUD. I really want one of these new Retina models, but I'm definitely waiting until real users report back on heat dissipation and fan noise. I wont buy another Macbook that gets hot enough on the bottom to burn. SD memory has killed "normal" drives for me. The speed and the fact that you literally hear nothing when the computer is on is something I never want to give up. Except for the fan, which on my Air only kicks on during full-screen flash apps or playing Diablo/World of Warcraft.

Chris R

I have a 13 inch MBA from two years ago and it runs really well on average settings. The problem is what it does to the fan. LOUD. I really want one of these new Retina models, but I'm definitely waiting until real users report back on heat dissipation and fan noise. I wont buy another Macbook that gets hot enough on the bottom to burn. SD memory has killed "normal" drives for me. The speed and the fact that you literally hear nothing when the computer is on is something I never want to give up. Except for the fan, which on my Air only kicks on during full-screen flash apps or playing Diablo/World of Warcraft.

Thing is, the MBA from two years ago has a dedicated GPU. The '11 and '12 models do not. You can run the game on average, where I have to run it with everything as low as it will go because of the lack of a GPU in my '11 machine. But the 4000HD GPU in the Ivy Bridge chips should do a much better job at powering D3 compared to the 3000HD I have.

RDreamer

Just got the 15" MBP. They gave me 5% off the computer and 5% off a SuperDrive, too, since I didnt realize they did take out the disc drive. (someone in here said they didn't)

No iMac updates and Mac Pro is basically dead...Apple doesn't care about desktops anymore.

I was planning on getting an iMac...not sure what to do now. If they're updating it in a week or two there's no reason not to update it today instead so I feel like an iMac update isn't coming for a while.

I'm really confused about what to do after this latest update. Was planning on picking up an updated imac to replace my late 08/early 09 macbook. Should I just go for the imac currently on sale (27 inch) or keep waiting for another update? Would it be likely that they'd update the imac line when mountain lion releases?

Would've been tempted to upgrade to retina had a 13" model been announced but the 15" is just too impractically large and expensive for me so I'm rocking on with my 2011 MBP.
I've already upgraded the memory so gonna dip my other foot in the pool and get a SSD.
Couple of questions:

Once I remove the current 500GB drive from my MBP, can I then use it (when cased) as a portable external hard drive?

also

When putting an SSD in, do I have to pre-format / install Lion on it? I'm assuming that putting it in blank and firing up the machine would give me nothing at all.....???
Is the 5GB Lion Recovery partition still available when switching drives?

Many thanks in advance guys!

Wow, no new iMacs for maybe another year? Sounds like a big redux is in the offing, not just a spec bump. A bummer for those of us ready to upgrade now though! Would a spec bump just to tide us over have killed you, Apple?

Tobor

Wow, no new iMacs for maybe another year? Sounds like a big redux is in the offing, not just a spec bump. A bummer for those of us ready to upgrade now though! Would a spec bump just to tide us over have killed you, Apple?

Spec bump could still be coming. Didn't the iMacs and Mini's get updated separately last year in a stealth update?

Too little, too late.

Bullshit, Tim, you don't deserve the pro business anymore.

Tim Cook's not an idiot, but he sure made an idiotic statement.

A WHOLE YEAR? Pro customers are already fleeing. A whole year to wait until the first proper update in years, and there won't be many left.

This is such a major bummer about the iMacs. I can't believe. I had wallet in hand and would have bought the top of the line today. I'm using a 6 YEAR OLD MACBOOK! I'm really thinking hard about building a pc now through newegg/amazon.

LOL @ the hyperbole in this thread.

Apple introduces crazy new redesigned Mac Pros next year and professionals will be there Day 1 with their wallets open.

moozoom

My problem is I have the money right now to upgrade, and I really want to... but next year I'm not sure i'll be able to buy a new machine.

This is really a shitty timing... I'm almost thinking about buying a PC (which would be cheaper) to do some processing heavy tasks, and keep my mac pro to continue to use all the programs I have licenses for...

Kurdel

Banned
Supported resolutions: 2880 by 1800 pixels (Retina); scaled resolutions: 1920 by 1200, 1680 by 1050, 1280 by 800, and 1024 by 640 pixels

Was this addressed during the presser? This will help for gaming that is for sure!

oatmeal

Banned
The Mac Pro will sell well in the professional and indie communities...

I have an 06 that I have pretty much maxed out spec wise (it's running 2x 3.00GHz Quad Cores now) and it still flies through everything.

But now that I've gotten into 4K cutting, I'd love to be able to run some of the new CUDA cards without hacking the EFI. The 09/10 models allow that, but I'd rather not spend 3000 on an incremental update otherwise.

I'm not sure if I can stomach working with a 255Gb HDD anymore, sad or not.... I have a NAS but still.
And I know they can be upgraded, but it'd be costly...

Apple introduces crazy new redesigned Mac Pros next year and professionals will be there Day 1 with their wallets open.

I don't know.

Argument 1: Let's make an assumption that many pros have been waiting years for Apple to update the Mac Pro line. Apple finally makes an update that doesn't even qualify as "token". Pro users take that as yet another clue that Apple doesn't care about them anymore. So, they defect to Windows.

A year passes. Apple finally unveils new Mac Pros. All those pros that jumped to Windows and invested in a boatload of software to go with it... are they going to want to jump back so suddenly?

Argument 2: Right now is PRIME time to woo Windows users over. Microsoft is trying to force the Metro clown shoes on everyone. Pros LOATHE it. Why waste the opportunity?

JackEtc

Ordered my MBP Retina, upgraded processor, 512GB, and 16GB of RAM. Really excited.

When I check my order it says" Ships: 7- 10 business days" and "Delivers: Jun 25 - Jun 28 via 2-3 Business Days"

Disappointing seeing that I paid the extra $15 thinking I'd get it in 2-3 days. Really don't wanna wait that long for the price I paid....

I've been out of the loop of computers for quite a while after I built my own PC about 4 years ago. I am currently looking to purchase a new laptop for college, replacing my beat laptop that I've had for a while. Since Apple just updated the Pro line I figure this is a perfect time to jump on the mac train since I've been debating it for a while now.

With my student discount I will get a $200 discount on any laptop I chose. I know I want a 15 inch laptop. I just need to decide whether to get the Macbook Pro (2.6ghz) with a 1680x1050 screen fr $2089 or the Retina Macbook Pro (2.3ghz) for $2000. Is the .3ghz worth roughly $100 to me? Will picking the Retina version effect playing any games I want to play on it?

Admittedly I am oblivious to most of the news and I don't have much time to read up on it today, but can I scale the resolution on the Retina version to get better FPS in games?

Thanks for helping me and dealing with my ignorance!

Fake Edit: If I am reading the Apple website right, the non-Retina display models still have a DVD drive while the Retina models don't. This isn't an issue, I would just replace the drive with another hard drive if I went with the former.

kaioshade

Would've been tempted to upgrade to retina had a 13" model been announced but the 15" is just too impractically large and expensive for me so I'm rocking on with my 2011 MBP.
I've already upgraded the memory so gonna dip my other foot in the pool and get a SSD.
Couple of questions:

Once I remove the current 500GB drive from my MBP, can I then use it (when cased) as a portable external hard drive?

also

When putting an SSD in, do I have to pre-format / install Lion on it? I'm assuming that putting it in blank and firing up the machine would give me nothing at all.....???
Is the 5GB Lion Recovery partition still available when switching drives?

Many thanks in advance guys!

To redo your OS, you can redownload the recovery partition from Apples servers by holding Cmd+r upon bootup. The machine will then download the recovery image from Apple and install it to your new ssd. You can either install Lion fresh at that point, or use disk utility in the recovery partition to clone your existing installation from your mechanical drive (this will require a external hookup) then just reboot and your system will be the exact same as it was before.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Of course, the keynote today made me really want a new computer, but given my budget that's just not a possibility. So, the plan is to continue using my mid-2007 MacBook (2GHz C2D) until it disintegrates, but the itch for something faster has me considering another RAM upgrade. I went from 1GB to 2GB a few years back, which is the max according to Apple. In actuality, though, it will recognize up to 3.2GB if 4GB is installed.

Would it even be worth $70 to move up to 4GB (er, 3.2GB) on this old-ass beast? Or should I just save that $70 to put toward a replacement for when this thing inevitably kicks the bucket? I'm on Snow Leopard (upgraded from Tiger), without any plans to move to Lion since I heard it doesn't run well on these older machines. Just looking for advice since I can't decide for myself if it's even worth it.

Apple just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Mac culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with Windows where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in the Mac world, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is that Mac users, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase a Mac Pro, nor will they purchase any of Apple's products. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Apple has alienated an entire market with this move.

Apple, publicly apologize and cancel the Mac Pro or you can kiss your business goodbye.

RDreamer

Fake Edit: If I am reading the Apple website right, the non-Retina display models still have a DVD drive while the Retina models don't. This isn't an issue, I would just replace the drive with another hard drive if I went with the former.
I thought the same thing when I went in, since someone on here pointed it out to me, but they did take out the hard drive in the non retina ones, too. I was surprised when they said that, so they gave me the SuperDrive at 5% off and the compute for 5% off. So basically I got the SuperDrive free.

RDreamer

Wait a sec. Finally got home with the new computer and I'm so confused. It does have a disc drive... So I just got a superdrive for free for no reason? Huh?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Was this addressed during the presser? This will help for gaming that is for sure!
They sound like non native resolutions, however, from what I understand it's not like when you select lower resolution and everything appears bigger and blurry on the screen. It's the opposite here, 1440x900 (doubled) is native, 'retina' resolution. If you select 1900x1200, it means (I think) the screen renders at 3800x2400 internally and then scales down to 2880x1440. So it will tax the machine more.

Only two resolutions where the machine is taxed less are 1280 by 800, and 1024 by 640, because they probably render at twice that internally and then scale up.

I am confused by the display setting here though. They selected "scaled" and then middle (retina) option, but it says resolution looks like 1920x1200 on the picture left:
Screen%20Shot%202012-06-11%20at%204.29.36%20PM.png
In the text it says 1400x900 is the baseline resolution size, which is to be expected, and is probably a selction of the option above the "Scaled"

I also have no idea how the games will work. I hope they will simply allow for 1400x900 resolution and everything just gets upscaled evenly, iphone 4 style with 320x240 res games.

Top Bottom