• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

RBH

back_to_school_2012.jpg

Apple has launched its annual Back to School promotion, offering educational customers a $100 iTunes Store gift card with the purchase of a Mac or a $50 card with the purchase of an iPad.

As detailed in the official terms and conditions (PDF), the promotion is valid on the purchase of a new (non-refurbished) iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Pro, or third-generation iPad. As in past years, the Mac mini is excluded from the promotion.

The promotion begins today and runs through September 21, and the gift cards are valid for purchases in the iTunes Store, iOS App Store, Mac App Store, and iBookstore. The offer is available in the following countries, with gift card amounts varying based on local currency: Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and United States.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/campaigns/back_to_school

I got whatever generation was the last to get a disc drive for the same purpose and it works well enough. I also moved it over to be my main HTPC, drives 720p video easily. I think it depends on application scope you're interested in developing. If you're doing 3D gaming and want to challenge Infinity Blade to a visual dance off you'll want a fancier dev machine.

Haha I'm a complete noob, at this point I'd be happy to make a functional tip calculator, so I don't foresee competing with Epic any time in the near future

Buy a 400+ day old iMac with yesteryear's tech and yesteryear's prices and get a $100 gift card?! Where do I sign up?!

Still mad about these iMacs...

RBH

geekbench_mid_2012_macbook_pro.jpg

geekbench_mid_2012_macbook_air.jpg

With the first Mid-2012 MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models reaching the public, Primate Labs has collated some data from its Geekbench 2 benchmarking database to assess the raw performance of these systems compared to their predecessors.

For the MacBook Pro, Primate Labs has data on four different models: the new Retina model with 2.3 GHz and 2.6 GHz processors and the non-Retina model with 2.3 GHz and 2.7 GHz processors. The top-of-the-line 2.7 GHz system registers with a Geekbench average score of 12,303, roughly 16% higher than the top-of-the-line 2.5 GHz Sandy Bridge system from the previous generation.

Notably, the leaked MacBook Pro benchmark from mid-May does appear to have been legitimate, with details corresponding to the new non-Retina 15-inch MacBook Pro. That machine is designated MacBookPro9,1, while the 13-inch model is designated MacBookPro9,2. The Retina MacBook Pro appears as MacBookPro10,1.

On the MacBook Air side, top-of-the-line systems are seeing boosts of over 20% in Geekbench scores over their corresponding predecessors. As with the MacBook Pro, even the low-end systems of the new generation outperform the high end of the previous generation.

Geekbench testing focuses on processor and memory performance, providing comparisons of raw power between machines but only telling part of the story. But with these machines seeing significant boosts in graphics performance with the addition of Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics and/or the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, and systems with solid-state drives using faster drives than in the previous generation, real-world performance should see marked improvement.
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/benchmarks-for-mid-2012-macbook-pro-and-macbook-air/

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Any gaming benchmarks for the new MacBook Air line? I was thinking about getting the Retina MacBook Pro, but after some thought, I think I may just end up with the updated 13" Air.

I'm not expecting amazing performance, but if anyone knows where I can find some gaming-specific benchmarks, please share!

Not really much of a different there between the i7 and i5 Macbook Airs. Pretty much confirms that the cheaper version is the way to go for me. Now I just have to decide if I should wait til the new OS is out or not.

Not really much of a different there between the i7 and i5 Macbook Airs. Pretty much confirms that the cheaper version is the way to go for me. Now I just have to decide if I should wait til the new OS is out or not.

As in Mountain Lion? Any MacBook you buy right now will allow you to upgrade to Mountain Lion for free.

Dreaver

Cross posting this from the WWDC thread, anyways I need some advice on a new Macbook.

- My budget isn't too big, I'd love the new retina one and I could afford it but I don't think I want to spend so much money on a computer. I think I want to spend around $1200.
- 11" is too small, 15" seems like a perfect size, but expensive as fuck and perhaps a little big to carry so much around.... So I think 13" is the only viable option.
- I will take it with my to university everyday, and I might want to take it when traveling in the future.
- I will use it mainly for internet / writing down notes / Photoshop / Photo Editing (Lightroom) / Video editing (Premiere / Final Cut Pro).
- I want to do some 1080p editing (T2i footage converted to Apple Proress 422) on it (I could always connect it to a monitor if it is anything serious).
- Not a must, but I'd love to play some Diablo 3 (on low settings?) on it.

Anyways I am thinking of getting the (lower end) 13" and adding an extra 4GB RAM (and perhaps a SSD later). Would that be the best choise for me? Is the 13" (cheaper model) enought? Or should I get an Air (13") / 13" (expensive model) or something different?

Thanks GAF!

Enco

Cross posting this from the WWDC thread, anyways I need some advice on a new Macbook.

- My budget isn't too big, I'd love the new retina one and I could afford it but I don't think I want to spend so much money on a computer. I think I want to spend around $1200.
- 11" is too small, 15" seems like a perfect size, but expensive as fuck and perhaps a little big to carry so much around.... So I think 13" is the only viable option.
- I will take it with my to university everyday, and I might want to take it when traveling in the future.
- I will use it mainly for internet / writing down notes / Photoshop / Photo Editing (Lightroom) / Video editing (Premiere / Final Cut Pro).
- I want to do some 1080p editing (T2i footage converted to Apple Proress 422) on it (I could always connect it to a monitor if it is anything serious).

Anyways I am thinking of getting the (lower end) 13" and adding an extra 4GB RAM (and perhaps a SSD later). Would that be the best choise for me? Is the 13" (cheaper model) enought? Or should I get an Air (13") / 13" (expensive model) or something different?

Thanks GAF!
I would go for the 13" Air.

The normal Pro's are heavy and not very portable. If you could flex it, the retina Pro would be the best option but the second I would say is the 13" Air as it's very portable and pretty powerful too.

Dreaver

I would go for the 13" Air.

The normal Pro's are heavy and not very portable. If you could flex it, the retina Pro would be the best option but the second I would say is the 13" Air as it's very portable and pretty powerful too.

But how is the 13" for (1080p) video editing? I am talking about pretty basic things and not heavy After Effects stuff. Is it good enough for it? It's a pretty important point for me.

But how is the 13" for (1080p) video editing? I am talking about pretty basic things and not heavy After Effects stuff. Is it good enough for it? It's a pretty important point for me.

Not that I've ever done any video editing on the 13", but it's a competent CPU. The 13" Pro has better CPU options...but then again, the 13" Air has a better screen resolution. Neither can do fullscreen 1080p viewing - unless you use an external monitor - and both systems can be setup with 8GB of RAM if you desire (although with the Air you need to do that during the order process)

Diablo is probably going to struggle either way.

If at all possible I'd do the CPU upgrade but at your budget I'm not sure either CPU or RAM is on your immediate price range.

Enco

I haven't personally tried any editing so I'm afraid I can't help you there. I'm guessing it'll be ok for basic stuff though.

The retina pro will undoubtedly be the best option for any serious editing.

As for gaming, I don't think it would work very well. I have the previous Air and gaming causes the fans to go crazy so it's a no go for me (with simple 3D games such as Torchlight).

Rengoku

Thanks GAF!

I'm kind of in a similar position as you. I was really hoping for a retina MBA. The new macbook pro is way out of my budget. But then I found out about the new Zenbooks. In particular the Asus Zenbook UX32VD, which I'm pretty much sold on. So a couple specs of note:

- 13 Inch Ultrabook (slightly larger, heavier than MBA, barely noticeable difference)
- Full 1920x1080p IPS display
- Discrete Graphics (Nvidia 620M + Intel HD4000) - It will play Diablo 3 on Medium/High @1366x768!!! (Medium ~50fps, High ~29fps)
- Not unibody - meaning you can swap out ram and hard drive.
- $1299
- Due out sometime this month

noah111

Still Alive
Just noticed how the retina MBP's don't have the classic "MacBook" text on the bottom screen bezel? Seems like a weird move, first time i've seen an Apple product with the brand name no where on the device.

Chris R

Just noticed how the retina MBP's don't have the classic "MacBook" text on the bottom screen bezel? Seems like a weird move, first time i've seen an Apple product with the brand name no where on the device.

The user knows it is a MacBook, no point in reminding them about that :p The only branding it needs is the aluminum shell with the Apple logo lit up on the back.

LProtag

How long do you think the base model retina would last, without any RAM upgrades or anything?

I'm assuming I could go a nice 3-5 years again with it, right?

topramen

Ok so 8gb vs. 16 for the base retina?????

I ordered an 8gb ram, but am now freaking out due to the unability to upgrade it.
I plan on using this computer for med school stuff, and moderate gaming (indie stuff, maybe some valve, D3/SC2/Titan maybe etc., Firaxis).

Is it worth the 16gb? I plan on using this for 4-5 years.

Well, its not so much the $200 now as it is the process of canceling my order and dealing with the long ass ship times.

Ok so 8gb vs. 16 for the base retina?????

Depends what "med school stuff" counts as. I certainly wouldn't feel like I'd need to upgrade it for gaming. 16GB is probably a smart idea long term although you'll probably have trouble running 3D heavy games well before you have trouble filling out 16GB of RAM...

Circle T

It's on the underside of the machine.

topramen

Depends what "med school stuff" counts as. I certainly wouldn't feel like I'd need to upgrade it for gaming. 16GB is probably a smart idea long term although you'll probably have trouble running 3D heavy games well before you have trouble filling out 16GB of RAM...

imaging software mainly.

I got 16gb in my MBP order but really the only thing I think it will be useful for (at the moment) will be stuff like running photoshop/illustrator/indesign simultaneously. That way each app will get a nice 4gb chunk of ram.

Ambitious

You think so? So there are absolutely no reasons to get 16GB of RAM if I don't intend to do any audio/video/image processing/editing?

Enco

You think so? So there are absolutely no reasons to get 16GB of RAM if I don't intend to do any audio/video/image processing/editing?
I would definitely say 16GB is overkill.

On my desktop I have 8GB and can run big games like GTA IV/Max Payne 3 very easily. I have no issues with having a game running as well as a browser and a load of other background tasks.

Ambitious

I would definitely say 16GB is overkill.

On my desktop I have 8GB and can run big games like GTA IV/Max Payne 3 very easily. I have no issues with having a game running as well as a browser and a load of other background tasks.

I'm just concerned about the future-proofness. If I buy one, I'll want to use it for at least 5 years, like my current one. But if games won't ever take advantage of the memory, it would make little sense.

The jumps from 1-2-4GB have been pretty significant for computing, but the amount used by software is still going to slowly increase. 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5...not 8, 16, 32. Consumer RAM capacity has been rapidly outstripping the usage growth rate for awhile now. Even Crysis 2 has only one level that approaches 4GB, and I'm guessing even then it's as swap space for VRAM. If you're not running with extremely high levels of detail, you won't even stress VRAM let alone main memory.

With 3D professional software where there is tons of content to manage (CAD, Maya, etc) capacity is always wanted. Same goes for heavy video editing or extreme-density photography (ie: Adobe apps can be set to just dedicate a chunk of memory while running. If I was using photoshop and Premiere all day and wanted to keep both open to swap 16MP images, then yeah, the benefit of more memory is pretty obvious)

To a more average consumer, 16GB is just crazy. Your priority should really be:

1. SSD: Makes the clearest difference in everyday performance, bar none
2. Faster video card (if possible): Better FPS, AKA your machine takes longer to get dated
3. Faster CPU (if possible): Ditto
4. >8GB RAM

But the thing is, you could upgrade all of that stuff, and maybe get 4-5 years...but it's just as likely with the speed of CPU improvements that it could be heavily dated in 2.5-3 years, at which point the extra money spent on upgrades could have been put towards a brand new machine...

Ambitious

Damn, I'm still unsure about the configuration. But thanks for your advice.

Something else: Could you recommend me a good looking sleeve for the MBP? Just to avoid scratches and keep dust away when carrying it in my backpack. For travels etc I've already got a robust Samsonite bag.

I'm seriously considering the 2.6Ghz Retina macbook Pro configured w/ 16GB of ram..

I don't think I need that much ram for most things i will do with the machine.. but for the next few months I'll be running a lot of virtual machines on it and having that extra ram would be nice..

my only real dilemma is that to get 16GB, I can only order it through Apple.. whereas I could otherwise order it through Amazon and save myself a couple hundred in sales tax.

Essentially, the $200 ram upgrade becomes a $400 upgrade due to the sales tax difference.. decisions decisions..

bdrob

Before seeing the prices I was completely set on replacing my 2007 Macbook Pro with a new retina, what a gorgeous machine, however sticker shock got the better of me.

There's nothing really wrong with my old machine considering I have a desktop and mostly use it for web browsing, music, on the go work etc i.e. nothing intensive and £1800 for that kind of usage would be ridiculous ... albeit awesome.

So instead I have just ordered a new SSD and 4 gigs of Ram to help breath some life into the old champ. Sure the Core 2 Duo can't hold a candle to modern CPUs but I'm hoping the extra Ram and faster SDD will provide a good boost in programs I'm using it for - it certainly isn't feeling CPU limited (been staring at the Activity Monitor since placing the order as well to try and fend of buyers remorse lol ^^).

This is a deal breaker for me.

Screen%20Shot%202012-06-11%20at%204.29.36%20PM_575px.png

http://www.anandtech.com/Gallery/Album/2078#1

Even at the non-integer scaled 1680 x 1050 setting, the Retina Display looks a lot better than last year's high-res panel. It looks like Apple actually renders the screen at twice the selected resolution before scaling it to fit the 2880 x 1800 panel (in other words, at 1920 x 1200 Apple is rendering everything at 3840 x 2400 (!) before scaling - this is likely where the perf impact is seen, but I'm trying to find a way to quantify that now). Everything just looks better. I also appreciate how quick it is to switch between resolutions on OS X. When I'm doing a lot of work I prefer the 1920 x 1200 setting, but if I'm in content consumption mode I find myself happier at 1440 x 900 or 1680 x 1050.

Vyer

I've been looking into getting the new Apple TV, but I can't help but notice that Apple TV 2 seems to be going rather high on Ebay. Is there a reason I'd want to stick with my 2nd gen as it seems to be in high demand?

Cheebo

Banned
I've been looking into getting the new Apple TV, but I can't help but notice that Apple TV 2 seems to be going rather high on Ebay. Is there a reason I'd want to stick with my 2nd gen as it seems to be in high demand?

It's because people can hack it. If you want to use it as just an Apple TV the new one is best since it has 1080p support.

Top Bottom