• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

jcutner

I would not turn on and off the Macbook (or plug it in) if you've had a liquid spill. That's how I fried mine. Take it to the Genius bar immediately.

Do they fix it on the spot at the Genius Bar, or do I have to leave it with them? I found the trackpad online at ifixit, if the Apple Store wants an insane amount of money (I don't have AppleCare) I'd just as soon do it myself

Jubern

I'll be buying a base 13" Air in a few weeks and have been wondering :

- Is the extra 95€ worth the 8GB RAM? What would I need it for exactly?

- Is Apple Care this good/important? I learned the hard way that hardware insurance can be a bitch, so I'm genuinely worried it might not be worth it, and considering its 175€... I'm on the edge whether or not to take it, since I'm moving to Japan where it'll be my only computer.

bionic77

- Is Apple Care this good/important? I learned the hard way that hardware insurance can be a bitch, so I'm genuinely worried it might not be worth it, and considering its 175€... I'm on the edge whether or not to take it, since I'm moving to Japan where it'll be my only computer.
I got the extra RAM. Totally worth if you expect to use it for awhile as you can't upgrade it yourself.

As for Apple Care personally I only get it if something fucks up in the first year (the first year is covered and is fine if you have a store nearby, if not you have to pay for phone support after 90 days). A lot of people disagree with and always get it regardless.

Sometimes I have over 4GB of RAM in use with just iTunes playing and multiple tabs in Safari open.
It's usually a lot of tabs to be fair, but I would definitely go for 8GB minimum anyways.
Even if you don't need it for anything specific (i.e video editing) it will just make everything you do that much quicker/smoother.

Karud

I just realized the rMBP works with two additional screens at once. Maybe even more. :D
Unfortunatly the tracking still doesn't work because rMBP and voucher needs to merge in Prague, CZ. I hope it's in Europe by now.

Jubern

I got the extra RAM. Totally worth if you expect to use it for awhile as you can't upgrade it yourself.

As for Apple Care personally I only get it if something fucks up in the first year (the first year is covered and is fine if you have a store nearby, if not you have to pay for phone support after 90 days). A lot of people disagree with and always get it regardless.

Sometimes I have over 4GB of RAM in use with just iTunes playing and multiple tabs in Safari open.
It's usually a lot of tabs to be fair, but I would definitely go for 8GB minimum anyways.
Even if you don't need it for anything specific (i.e video editing) it will just make everything you do that much quicker/smoother.

Thanks for the answers. I'll probably drop the Apple care for now, and go for the RAM!

That's because Safari is a piece of shit that doesn't give back the memory it gobbles up. I start my Macbook Air up (2 gigs of ram), run Safari for awhile and bye bye memory hello HD space being gobbled up to compensate. Do the same with Chrome and it doesn't happen.

Do they fix it on the spot at the Genius Bar, or do I have to leave it with them? I found the trackpad online at ifixit, if the Apple Store wants an insane amount of money (I don't have AppleCare) I'd just as soon do it myself
This is why AppleCare is always a good purchase when it comes to Macs. Makes ALL the difference.

I doubt Genius Bar would be able to fix that on the spot, they'd have to send it off, usually it takes a few days to turn around. And yeah out of warranty I doubt it will be cheap. If you feel confident fixing it yourself go for it, since there's no warranty to invalidate.

BTW, how old is the Mac?

FStop7

Banned
The 11" Air is amazing for day to day use, the only thing is that it's not suitable for graphically intensive work such as photo editing or anything 3D accelerated.

And when buying a new computer get as much RAM as possible. Normally I would say buy the minimum amount that Apple offers and then upgrade via third party... but since that is no longer an option on the Retina Macbook Pros you'll have to bite the bullet and pay the extra $200.

jcutner

This is why AppleCare is always a good purchase when it comes to Macs. Makes ALL the difference.

I doubt Genius Bar would be able to fix that on the spot, they'd have to send it off, usually it takes a few days to turn around. And yeah out of warranty I doubt it will be cheap. If you feel confident fixing it yourself go for it, since there's no warranty to invalidate.

BTW, how old is the Mac?

It's a Mid 09 MBP13 Unibody, the first 13" unibody that said MacBook Pro, instead of MacBook

I opened it up, I'm comfortable with rooting around inside as I've done the Superdrive to SSD swap with the Optibay, etc.

I removed the battery and the Trackpad visually looked fine from underneath (no visible moisture), bit dirty so I cleaned it out with compressed air. Put it all back together, and it's still the same.

I ordered a replacement trackpad off eBay, so I'll just swap it out and hope for the best!

For the time being, I turned off the trackpad in Preferences when a mouse is connected, so at least it won't be randomly clicking by itself.

Ephemeris

Thanks. It sounds a bit confusing but when I get the retina macbook ill give it a shot.... so i just run bootcamp assistant, create a partition, and then click on the windows.iso and let it install then i suppose
Yup! Really not as hard as it may seem. Once you have the iso of Windows 7 or 8, you're pretty much good to go.

Just don't forget that the Protection Plan doesn't cover accidental damage / Liquid Spills. I mean, we can make exceptions, but generally it's a nope.

ruxtpin

Banned
Any good recs for a 13 inch MacBook Air case? I'm ordering a protective sleeve for when it's in my bag, but didn't know if one of those slim hard shell cases might be worth the dough.

Ovid

Any good recs for a 13 inch MacBook Air case? I'm ordering a protective sleeve for when it's in my bag, but didn't know if one of those slim hard shell cases might be worth the dough.
Actually does anyone know of any nice silicone skins for the MacBook Air? The Mac isn't gonna leave my house but I wanna keep the beauty of the aluminum body and also prevent scratches.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but how does Apple's warranty/support compare to other companies'? My last laptop came with a 3-year NBD warranty included, but it seems that that is not common anymore (5 years later).

A good warranty is pretty important to me, especially in a product that I probably can't even try to fix myself (e.g. Air)..

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Trying to decide between MBP retina or vanilla

So what do non-retina optimized apps do on the retina MBP?

It was hard to tell at the apple store since there are not many third party apps loaded onto them.

I don't mind if app chrome or icons or text is "blurry or jaggy" but I would care if say a program would not work, or that content windows don't display native res (Photoshop, Maya etc.)

Is there a site with compatible apps listed like there was for Lion?

lupin23rd

Was trying to copy some podcasts over to my iPhone from my new MBP, and it's telling me I can't because it's synced to another computer (my old MacBook).

Seems like an obvious omission that you can't just go to the old one and break that connection, then setup the new one.

What's the easiest way to get it so that the new machine is the main one (since I won't be syncing with the old one)? Leaning towards making a backup, restoring to factory settings, then restoring on the new machine, but is there a better / faster way?

lupin23rd

Trying to decide between MBP retina or vanilla

So what do non-retina optimized apps do on the retina MBP?

It was hard to tell at the apple store since there are not many third party apps loaded onto them.

I don't mind if app chrome or icons or text is "blurry or jaggy" but I would care if say a program would not work, or that content windows don't display native res (Photoshop, Maya etc.)

Is there a site with compatible apps listed like there was for Lion?

It would be more the blurry or jaggy look. I don't think anything would "not work", I can't speak much for the apps you mentioned though.

twitter is fuzzy, text not sharp at all (similar to the magnification over text in ios on non-retina devices). But I'd mostly use that on a smaller device. Adium text on the other hand was sharp.

You can see I'm really testing the limits of my machine, haha

Oh Steam was fine, maybe a little fuzzy in some places. Just finished installing Portal 2 so I'll give that a go tonight, maybe the witcher as well.

bionic77

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but how does Apple's warranty/support compare to other companies'? My last laptop came with a 3-year NBD warranty included, but it seems that that is not common anymore (5 years later).

A good warranty is pretty important to me, especially in a product that I probably can't even try to fix myself (e.g. Air)..
Unless things have changed in the last 2 years you get 90 days of phone support and a one year warranty. To extend that you have to get Applecare which extends it to 3 (Prices for AC vary depending on device). Don't think there is any way to extend it past 3 years.

Blackhead

Redarse
5QQhf.png

:(

Fantastic looking case but it adds tons of bulk kind of defeating the point of an Air. I'd go with something like one of the speck hardshell cases that snap on and are barely noticable size wise.

A friend of mine has that for his air. It's a cool novelty but it's just too over the top for normal use. He never uses the thing. I just use a sleeve for when i carry it around.

LOL...kinda makes me worry about getting just 4GB. I'm seriously thinking about returning my 4GB Air and getting the 8GB. But all I use it for is the Interwebs so it might not be worth it.

I would honestly go 8gb. I ordered a "custom" build at the apple store and am waiting a week now.

Later versions of OSX will continue to be optimized for more ram. Besides, doubling your ram for 100 (90 w/ student discount) is a no brainer.

I decided to not get the i7 version of the 2 core. Anyone have benchmarks of the i5 versus i7? I didn't think it'd be a big deal can someone prove me otherwise?

giga

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/VS65I.png[/IMG]

[IM]http://i.imgur.com/0VyFY.jpg[/IMG]

Edit: Something is deeply broken in OS X memory management ?! :/
Safari using more than necessary amount of RAM has been the norm for everybody, but I haven't experienced that other stuff. If he's getting a lot of page outs even with lots of free ram available, then there's something seriously wrong with his system.

I'm on Chrome right now and this is with 4 tabs open:

8JVUq.png

Hi Apple-GAF!

As fortune would have it, I now own a brand new 27-inch iMac.

I've never owned an Apple desktop so I'm not sure what necessities I should get my hands on.

For reference, I have an Air, iPhone and iPad 2 if there's anything that can be connected to that stuff etc.

I've also never owned my own desktop computer, so this is new territory for me. What should I download, what are the best players, what the hell do I need?!

Save me. =0

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
an the Retina Macbook Pro is deftly priced.

I need the higher vrm on the GPU so I am already looking at the 2,199 MBP, so now the retina one is staring right at me.

If I were to user upgrade the traditional MBP to be competitive with the the MBR it would cost me MORE to do it than just buying the stock MBR.

2,199 + 200 (RAM) = 2,399 for MBR
2,199 + 160 (RAM) + 250 (SDD 256GB)= 2,609 for MBP
I could probably shave 50-80 of this by shopping around on component prices, but that still lands me at least a hundred over the MBP.

I guess my only question would be if the spec jump from 2.3 to 2.6ghz and 512SSD is worth going for. The alternative is banking on someone like OWC offering an SSD upgrade for the MBR at some point in the future, and whether it would even be be price competitive with the Apples $600 premium (OWC 480GB macbook air SSD is $800! and this appears similar to that one)

It would be more the blurry or jaggy look. I don't think anything would "not work", I can't speak much for the apps you mentioned though.

twitter is fuzzy, text not sharp at all (similar to the magnification over text in ios on non-retina devices). But I'd mostly use that on a smaller device. Adium text on the other hand was sharp.

You can see I'm really testing the limits of my machine, haha

Oh Steam was fine, maybe a little fuzzy in some places. Just finished installing Portal 2 so I'll give that a go tonight, maybe the witcher as well.

Thank You!

Ovid

I would honestly go 8gb. I ordered a "custom" build at the apple store and am waiting a week now.

Later versions of OSX will continue to be optimized for more ram. Besides, doubling your ram for 100 (90 w/ student discount) is a no brainer.

I decided to not get the i7 version of the 2 core. Anyone have benchmarks of the i5 versus i7? I didn't think it'd be a big deal can someone prove me otherwise?
Yeah, I just went on Apple's website and bought the 8GB Air. I'm gonna return this one to the Apple Store later this week.

Plus, I got in on the $100 Back-To-School promo so it's worth it. Thanks :)

Juice

The answer to both is "If you plan on using it more than 18 months, yes.

I personally sell each Mac every 12-18 months before it depreciates much in order to get the new hotness.

Also, if you're a developer, you probably want 8GB of RAM either way. Otherwise, meh.

njean777

an the Retina Macbook Pro is deftly priced.

I need the higher vrm on the GPU so I am already looking at the 2,199 MBP, so now the retina one is staring right at me.

If I were to user upgrade the traditional MBP to be competitive with the the MBR it would cost me MORE to do it than just buying the stock MBR.

2,199 + 200 (RAM) = 2,399 for MBR
2,199 + 160 (RAM) + 250 (SDD 256GB)= 2,609 for MBP
I could probably shave 50-80 of this by shopping around on component prices, but that still lands me at least a hundred over the MBP.

I guess my only question would be if the spec jump from 2.3 to 2.6ghz and 512SSD is worth going for. The alternative is banking on someone like OWC offering an SSD upgrade for the MBR at some point in the future, and whether it would even be be price competitive with the Apples $600 premium (OWC 480GB macbook air SSD is $800! and this appears similar to that one)

Thank You!

Are you using apples parts in the regular MBP? Because if so, you are doing it wrong. With the regular MBP you can use third party HD's and Ram.

Top Bottom