• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

edgefusion

You are confusing strength with torsional rigidity which is when, basically, you twist something. One of the videos on Apple's website shows the MBPr in a torsion machine.

I think they just mean having the pillars creates additional rigidity than if they weren't there at all.

ShadiWulf

I'm going to be buying a Macbook real soon

I'm having trouble deciding between 13in air or 13in pro, I've done so much reading and research on this, and I'm still having trouble making up my mind.

So.. for someone whos experienced both... is the screen really much better in the Pro as people are saying it is?

and.. I'd be carrying it around in my bag a lot in downtown and in class, and does the macbook pro really feel that much heavier then the air?

If the weight difference really is that big of a difference, I will probably just go with macbook air, because I can always hook that up to an external monitor when I need better colors.

Those vents and the new fans are my two favorite things about the new MBPr

the heat and noise of the fans were the things I hated most about the earlier MacBook pro models.. so seeing them get proper ventilation and a new cooling system, particularly when paired with ivy bridge chips really makes me happy.

TUSR

Banned

I'm having trouble deciding between 13in air or 13in pro, I've done so much reading and research on this, and I'm still having trouble making up my mind.

So.. for someone whos experienced both... is the screen really much better in the Pro as people are saying it is?

and.. I'd be carrying it around in my bag a lot in downtown and in class, and does the macbook pro really feel that much heavier then the air?

If the weight difference really is that big of a difference, I will probably just go with macbook air, because I can always hook that up to an external monitor when I need better colors.

I hope the difference between 2.96lbs and 4.5lbs doesn't kill your back.

I just inputted specs for a 2010 13" MacBook Air on sellyourmac.com - used the exact same specs for both models, the only difference being 2gb RAM on one and 4gb RAM on the other. The site offered me $510 for the 2gb model and $563 for the $4gb. So that's $53 higher resale value based on a 2gb RAM difference. The current models are 4gb and 8gb, double the difference in RAM. You do the math.

This is OT to the point you were trying to make, but do you find that the site provides reasonable estimates of resale values?

I am curious because a colleague is selling his late 2010 MBA and I am trying to figure out how much I can pay for it. It is a late 2010 11.6 inch MBA, 1.6 Ghz, 4GB RAM, 128 GB SSD. eBay completed listings are all over the place and I can't figure out if $400 is a good price to pay for it.

ruxtpin

Banned
What the frak FedEx? I check my tracking and it says my package was delivered and signed for at 10am. I get home from work and check with the leasing office at my apt - nothing. I check my apartment - nothing.

I call FedEx support and find out they delivered to a different address. Not even somewhat close to mine. It wasn't a case of "oh, we dropped it off at 412 when it should have been 413." Just the completely wrong address. Looked at my Apple shipping email and I had the correct address provided.

This is some elementary level bullshit here.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
What the frak FedEx? I check my tracking and it says my package was delivered and signed for at 10am. I get home from work and check with the leasing office at my apt - nothing. I check my apartment - nothing.

I call FedEx support and find out they delivered to a different address. Not even somewhat close to mine. It wasn't a case of "oh, we dropped it off at 412 when it should have been 413." Just the completely wrong address. Looked at my Apple shipping email and I had the correct address provided.

Someone is having Christmas in June.

You have no idea. I am one fucking work email away from heading there.

Uh isn't that fraud?

FStop7

Banned

dude this new macbook is suh-weet

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Thoughts on Time Capsule vs router with attached storage?

I need a new router anyway, and there is something attractive about freeing up the extra plugs and space with the Time Capsule. Currently backing up my iMac with time machine to an external but I will be adding a laptop to the mix soon.

Don't need RAID and all that business (the idea of my desktop, laptop, and backup all shitting out at the same time is a risk I am comfortable with :p), and I don't need this thing to be a media server / streamer or anything.

I decided to just order my MacBook Air on Amazon and get next day shipping ($3.99 through Prime). It's in my cart and I'm on the Place Your Order page. I just need to click that button...

Edit: Pulled the trigger. My first Mac.

I'm still having trouble making up my mind.

Not sure who has been giving you false info... but the 13" Air has a higher resolution screen than the 13" Pro.

anyone know what is good for cleaning the white chiclet keyboards that come with the old iMacs? Mine's looking pretty worn but the few household cleaners i've tried don't work.

tigerin

When u guys sell your MacBook on craiglist, does the buyer give you cash or pay through paypal? One of the buyer wants to know my email so he can pay me through PayPal.

kruskev

Have any of you purchased anything with the barclay's card? I signed up for it and got approved and want to get the new retina mac with it. But since the macbook pro is sold out and ships in 3-4 weeks, my card will most likely get charged outside of the promotional period. Can I just call apple and ask them to charge me before the shipping date?

tigerin

Anyone here experienced with craiglist can give me some lessons on selling an expensive item? I find out I'm really inexperience with it and I don't want to get trick.

Anyone here experienced with craiglist can give me some lessons on selling an expensive item? I find out I'm really inexperience with it and I don't want to get trick.
Cash only and a public place should be all you really need to know. If they look shady, don't make contact.

Meet during the day at a place with decent amount of foot traffic. (Maybe a mall, or a Target parking lot, etc).
Cash only. (People can pay through PayPal via Credit Card and do a charge back a couple of days later)
Take your macbook fully charged. Inform the buyer that they can test it for some time in front of you but no returns after that.
In most cases, I don't even give them a cell phone number. Maybe a google voice number if they want to text.
Search for the guy's email address online if their emails seem a bit dodgy. I've found a couple of buyers/sellers on LinkedIn/facebook via email search. Lowers the possibility of getting scammed a tiny bit.

tigerin

Cash only and a public place should be all you really need to know. If they look shady, don't make contact.

Meet during the day at a place with decent amount of foot traffic. (Maybe a mall, or a Target parking lot, etc).
Cash only. (People can pay through PayPal via Credit Card and do a charge back a couple of days later)
Take your macbook fully charged. Inform the buyer that they can test it for some time in front of you but no returns after that.
In most cases, I don't even give them a cell phone number. Maybe a google voice number if they want to text.
Search for the guy's email address online if their emails seem a bit dodgy. I've found a couple of buyers/sellers on LinkedIn/facebook via email search. Lowers the possibility of getting scammed a tiny bit.
Thanks guys!

tigerin

I thought MBA screens are better than mbp.

RBH

Most people think that the 13" MBA screen is superior to the 13" MBP due to the higher resolution.

MrMephistoX

Well, finally found a retina at retail and I'm pretty impressed with it so far. The experience isn't quite as mindblowing if you're coming from the new iPad 3 retina screen but it's still an incredibly well engineered device: I'm now a believer in SSD. Now if only my HDD would transfer my settings and applications from my old Mac so I could try out Diablo I'd be a happier camper.

kruskev

Well, finally found a retina at retail and I'm pretty impressed with it so far. The experience isn't quite as mindblowing if you're coming from the new iPad 3 retina screen but it's still an incredibly well engineered device: I'm now a believer in SSD. Now if only my HDD would transfer my settings and applications from my old Mac so I could try out Diablo I'd be a happier camper.

How is it compared to the ipad 3 screen?

Alchemy

Oh it's genuinely better but I'd imagine the MBP screen would be much more impressive to someone who doesn't have a retina device already.

Is it better in terms of colors, refresh rate, or something magical? I thought in terms of pixel density the order went iPhone > iPad > Macbook.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Well, it's kind of special because it's a large, 15.4" retina-quality display. Using a full-featured operating system like OSX with that kind of resolution just feels right. It's how using a computer should be.

Jimrpg

macbook air all the way! its faster (with the ssd drive although smaller capacity), higher resolution screen (1440x900 to 1200x800), thinner and lighter

if you're carrying it around macbook air for sure

My girlfriend has the 13" pro, I have the 13" air. Night and day difference in my book. The SSD, weight, and screen resolution alone make it better in my books. The perceived speed of the air is much greater than that of the pro. It's not like the Pro is heavy, but the air really is light as air... I don't think I could ever give up this computer - I almost want the 11" instead.

EDIT: Double post, shit, sorry.

macbook air all the way! its faster (with the ssd drive although smaller capacity), higher resolution screen (1440x900 to 1200x800), thinner and lighter

if you're carrying it around macbook air for sure
Is the new Air (base 13 inch, 8GB ram) powerful enough to run Photoshop, Visual Studio (if it runs well through VM?), Note++, two Safari windows with several tabs each and Pages at the same time? What if it turns out I was still running Logic and decide to watch a flash video as well?

I don't want to have to worry to immediately close programs, I like to keep things running sometimes. Air would be perfect for my daily commute to school, my backpack has to carry enough shit already lol.

Blackhead

Redarse
Anandtech said:
cSk25.jpg

From left to right: 2010 High Res Glossy MBP, 2012 rMBP, 2011 High Res Matte MBP
:?

John_B

Got a new Macbook Air 11" - Build quality is impressive. Keyboard and trackpad are just spot on. It would be nice with a better display in the future though.

I'm not too happy with the standard font smoothing in OS X.

NeoGAF in Safari
4WxmM.png

That looks pretty bad compared to Chrome on Windows 7. Can the smoothing be adjusted somewhere?

Samyy

I think my MBP battery is loosing charge way too fast, need to get it replaced, how much would it cost D:, is this kind of thing covered under applecare?

noah111

Still Alive
Still seems like a decent improvement;

Nothing trumps matte, obviously. But I'd take some glare over that ugly grey bezel any day. It's not like i'm going to be using it in the sun much anyway, and even if I were, i'm sure there's some shade nearby. :p

I'm not too happy with the standard font smoothing in OS X.

NeoGAF in Safari
4WxmM.png

That looks pretty bad compared to Chrome on Windows 7. Can the smoothing be adjusted somewhere?
Looks perfectly fine to me?

Top Bottom