• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

It's like 5% shy of full sRGB coverage, no? I'm not expecting it to be covering full AdobeRGB or anything.

Might be, but it's only ~65%-70% of the Adobe RGB spectrum.

iP82fRrZmLMsN.jpg

In the price range these MBP's fall in, competitors are in the 90%-100% range of the Adobe RGB spectrum. Even the much less expensive Dell Studio XPS16 manages 100% of the Adobe RGB spectrum.

In other words, you should be able to expect it for this kind of money. No real reason to expect less, though I suppose it was a compromise they were okay with making in exchange for the super-high resolution panel. Perhaps future revisions will address this issue.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Might be, but it's only ~65%-70% of the Adobe RGB spectrum.

http://i.minus.com/iP82fRrZmLMsN.jpg

In the price range these MBP's fall in, competitors are in the 90%-100% range of the Adobe RGB spectrum. Even the much less expensive Dell Studio XPS16 manages 100% of the Adobe RGB spectrum.

In other words, you should be able to expect it for this kind of money. No real reason to expect less, though I suppose it was a compromise they were okay with making in exchange for the super-high resolution panel. Perhaps future revisions will address this issue.

If I'm remembering right, sRGB is like 72% of AdobeRGB coverage.

I'd take the high resolution panel over those others any day of the week so the compromise is fine (and it's not like Apple ever made a push for AdobeRGB in their laptops anyways). For serious color-critical work I've got a professional monitor to fall back to (and wouldn't want to use a laptop even if it did cover AdobeRGB).

To cut a long story short I basically threw up over my Macbook, I've managed to clean it up but it won't turn on. Is there any point in trying to get it fixed or is just a write off? I imagine if I took it the Apple store they'd probably just refuse to deal with it. In that case, what size USB caddy do I need for the hard drive? It's a 2008 white macbook so I can remove the hard drive through the battery door.

It's got a 2.5" SATA hard drive in it (9.5mm tall, so any chassis will do).

As for cleaning your computer, disconnect all power, clean it, and let it dry for a week before trying to use it.

kaioshade

To cut a long story short I basically threw up over my Macbook, I've managed to clean it up but it won't turn on. Is there any point in trying to get it fixed or is just a write off? I imagine if I took it the Apple store they'd probably just refuse to deal with it. In that case, what size USB caddy do I need for the hard drive? It's a 2008 white macbook so I can remove the hard drive through the battery door.

There is a possibility you may have shorted out the top case of the machine. The logic board may still be good. If you have a 2008 model, it still may be able to be fixed.

giga

The XPS 16, which is not sold anymore so it's not really comparable, had a TN display. I don't care what sort of gamut you can produce if you're using subpar panels.

The HP 8560w's DreamColor option is a $400 upgrade that also requires a 50 watt higher capacity power adapter. This is on top of the base $2500+ configurable model which doesn't even include an SSD as standard.

Really, I would love to have 100% Adobe RGB coverage and hope they do bring it in the future, but I think they were right to choose a 2880x1800 IPS panel today over something like the XPS 16's TN display or the expensive and power hungry DreamColor.

jcutner

update on my broken trackpad issue

i ordered a replacement one on ebay for $30 - still hasn't arrived yet.
last night, i randomly decided to enable my trackpad again to see if it was still fucked, lo and behold - it's working fine. no deadzones or nothing.

I havent installed it yet, but will most likely put it to 50gb. Should be enough for windows, chrome, and maybe 2 games depending on size.

It doesn't, I have mine set for display sleep at 45 minutes and have left in on all day and no burn in here.

Thanks. That is pretty in line with what I saw when I was researching. Most articles said for a 250ish gb drive, to not go bigger than 60 for the bootcamp partition.

Yoshiya

256GB Crucial M4 inside my new (late 2011) MBP, this thing screams. I never thought I'd live to see iTunes open instantaneously.

I dream of a Haswell 13" Retina so this thing is already on deathwatch.

DemonNite

well... I pulled the trigger.

Ordered my first Macbook... New 13" Macbook Air 2GHz, 8gb Ram, 245GB SSD to start getting in to mobile app development.

I spent ages looking at the pros and nearly went for the retinas but it was too expensive for me at this current time (wedding etc...). Also, I see the 2nd generation of retinas to iron out all the niggles here and there that I have been reading about (screen burn-in issues and software support).

Anyway, I'm pleased that I finally ordered one and now the waiting game starts!

MrMephistoX

Sorry if this is a dumb question but could I use my current Airport extreme (or new one with time machine) to store video files and play them over my new Retina MBP?

PRO TIP: If you really want to appreciate the retina display in the new MBP go to an Apple store (or wherever they have a demo unit), open up iPhoto and scroll through the slideshow of included photos in full screen mode. Fucking amazing. You won't really appreciate how unbelievably good the display is until you do this. If I were a photographer or anyone working with high-definition content this would be an instant purchase.

JackEtc

I havent installed it yet, but will most likely put it to 50gb. Should be enough for windows, chrome, and maybe 2 games depending on size.

Thanks. That is pretty in line with what I saw when I was researching. Most articles said for a 250ish gb drive, to not go bigger than 60 for the bootcamp partition.

Are you guys going to install Windows 7 or Windows 8 (Release Preview)? I want to bootcamp Windows on my machine but I don't know which one would be better to use...

well... I pulled the trigger.

Ordered my first Macbook... New 13" Macbook Air 2GHz, 8gb Ram, 245GB SSD to start getting in to mobile app development.

I spent ages looking at the pros and nearly went for the retinas but it was too expensive for me at this current time (wedding etc...). Also, I see the 2nd generation of retinas to iron out all the niggles here and there that I have been reading about (screen burn-in issues and software support).

Anyway, I'm pleased that I finally ordered one and now the waiting game starts!
Same here, also pulled the trigger on the Air after checking stores/Apples website for about a week lol. I'm going with the base 13 inch model though, with 8gigs of ram.

I'm expecting it in the first week of july, let me join your waiting game :(

njean777

Are you guys going to install Windows 7 or Windows 8 (Release Preview)? I want to bootcamp Windows on my machine but I don't know which one would be better to use...

I installed 7 and am using it now and OMG at the 2880x1800 resolution. It is readable, but I had to set it down to 1680x1050. I have good eyesight and the native res was giving me a headache as it does not look the same as in OSX.

rinse82

Well, my Early-2011 13" MBP refurb just arrived (my first mac)

Had it delivered to my office so it's just staring at me while charging on my desk. Can't wait to go home and play around with it.

I'm not sure what to do. The only copy of Windows 7 I have around here is the OEM one that came with my Vaio, so that license won't work for installing via Boot Camp. Buying the full version of Windows 7 doesn't sound appealing since it's $200 and then I'd have to pay to upgrade to 8 once that comes out. Do the Boot Camp drivers work for the Windows 8 Release Preview?

My new Mac has arrived, I don't even know where to begin. I guess getting KeyPass up and running is my first step because typing 24 character randomly generated passwords gets old real fast.

Karud

Browserquestion:

I always used Firefox and besides some minor aspects I was quite happy with it. A few days ago I got my new MBP with Safari. I never used Safari but gave it a shot because of missing Retina implementation in FF and Chrome. After a few hours I can honestly say I don't like Safari at all.

Now I tend to use Chrome because I heard it runs smoother and using less resources. Is that correct? Are there any other recommendations?

Alchemy

Browserquestion:

I always used Firefox and besides some minor aspects I was quite happy with it. A few days ago I got my new MBP with Safari. I never used Safari but gave it a shot because of missing Retina implementation in FF and Chrome. After a few hours I can honestly say I don't like Safari at all.

Now I tend to use Chrome because I heard it runs smoother and using less resources. Is that correct? Are there any other recommendations?

I can't really comment on total resources used in comparison to other browsers, but I've been using Chrome with 4GB of RAM and have had zero performance issues. I think the most tabs I have had open is 16 total though.

256GB Crucial M4 inside my new (late 2011) MBP, this thing screams. I never thought I'd live to see iTunes open instantaneously.

I was so close to doing this myself using the exact same drive on the exact same MacBook.
I figured a 13" Retina will be released before the year is out so decided to wait.
Jealous though... :(

btkadams

awesome! i am picking up a 256gb crucial ssd from purolator today actually, for my early 2011 mbp. can't wait!! i'm switching all of my music/othermedia to a thunderbolt enclosure (regular HDDs though) and keeping apps/os on the ssd inside. i have been really annoyed for the past year because of how slow my 5400 rpm 750gb hdd feels in my fast mbp (i7quad-core2.3ghz w/ 8gb ram). obviously it's not THAT slow, but i know it can be so much faster. can't wait to be done work haha.

JackEtc

Alright, so I decided on an 110GB Boot Camp partition. I went through and installed Windows, and I check my computer, and:

Qxpfs.png

What the hell is taking up all that space? I thought Windows was only like 10GBs?

btkadams

Alright, so I decided on an 110GB Boot Camp partition. I went through and installed Windows, and I check my computer, and:

Qxpfs.png

What the hell is taking up all that space? I thought Windows was only like 10GBs?

that doesn't seem right at all. i don't have a partition, but my windows 7 virtual machine is about 30gb (includes the applications/otherfiles installed in it). maybe you should redo it? someone who has a windows 7 partition should clarify first before you bother restarting though.

DemonNite

Qxpfs.png

I have no real idea about boot camp (waiting for my first macbook order) but could it be hibernation? swap disk? try looking for those and turning them off

JackEtc

I have no real idea about boot camp (waiting for my first macbook order) but could it be hibernation? swap disk? try looking for those and turning them off

I disabled hibernation, and some space was freed up. Then I went and checked the paging file size, and it was set to ~16 GB. I'm not sure it needs to be that big, so I set it down to 6 gigs, and now I have about 80 gigs free. So I THINK I cleared it up.

Does all that sound alright? Anyone know if setting the paging file down to that is alright? I've got 16 GB of RAM.

AlexMogil

I disabled hibernation, and some space was freed up. Then I went and checked the paging file size, and it was set to ~16 GB. I'm not sure it needs to be that big, so I set it down to 6 gigs, and now I have about 80 gigs free. So I THINK I cleared it up.

Does all that sound alright? Anyone know if setting the paging file down to that is alright? I've got 16 GB of RAM.

Windows initially tries to do a 1:1 with RAM and paging size. You *don't* need that much so you did the right thing.

It's got a 2.5" SATA hard drive in it (9.5mm tall, so any chassis will do).

As for cleaning your computer, disconnect all power, clean it, and let it dry for a week before trying to use it.

Cheers, I'm gonna get a case for it, need to salvage my photos and Prince bootlegs. I've also got 6GB of ram installed, think I might see if they're okay to re-use.

There is a possibility you may have shorted out the top case of the machine. The logic board may still be good. If you have a 2008 model, it still may be able to be fixed.

I've took the hard drive and battery out, to be honest I think it's a goner. There was vomit stuff where the holes for the speakers are :s It's four years old and was starting to show it's age. So I might as well just get a new one anyway.

asdad123

Mine is still processing, but I Managed to find a 2.6/512gb model at Best Buy that price matched the student discount :D

If anyone in North Jersey is interested in buying the 2.3/256gb/16gb RAM which I have on order with Apple (should be delivered late this week or early next week), I am willing to sell it at cost at what I bought it for just to help a fellow Gaf member out. Otherwise Ill just cancel it.

Send me a PM if you want.

This laptop is awesome!

bionic77

awesome! i am picking up a 256gb crucial ssd from purolator today actually, for my early 2011 mbp. can't wait!! i'm switching all of my music/othermedia to a thunderbolt enclosure (regular HDDs though) and keeping apps/os on the ssd inside. i have been really annoyed for the past year because of how slow my 5400 rpm 750gb hdd feels in my fast mbp (i7quad-core2.3ghz w/ 8gb ram). obviously it's not THAT slow, but i know it can be so much faster. can't wait to be done work haha.
How much of a difference does thunderbolt make on regular HDs?

ruxtpin

Banned
alright. So my new MBA has frozen twice on me today. Is this a sign of a bigger issue? I'm not doing anything intensive. I'm surfing the web with Chrome and have iTunes open. That's it. This is also a system with an upgraded processor and 8 gigs of RAM.

RBH

alright. So my new MBA has frozen twice on me today. Is this a sign of a bigger issue? I'm not doing anything intensive. I'm surfing the web with Chrome and have iTunes open. That's it. This is also a system with an upgraded processor and 8 gigs of RAM.

Seems like there have been multiple MBA users who have had their laptop freeze while using Chrome:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1390896
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4035924?start=0&tstart=0
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1391770

Possible solution:

I called Apple Care and they had me delete the Chrome App and it's DMG file. They also had be go to the "Go" tab on the menu bar on the top of my computer (you can only see it when "Finder" is visible on the left side of the menu bar) and click on the "Library" tab (if it doesn't show up when you first look hold down the "alt/option" button and it should show up. Once you see "Library" open it up and go to the folder "Application Support." After doing that go to the folder labeled "Google." You should see a folder in there labeled "Chrome" if you go ahead and delete that then empty your trash so all Chrome files are completely deleted from your computer your problem should be solved after re-downloading. It worked for me let me know if it works for you.
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/chrome/mac/L4A3JS8asss

Dany

Banned
I dunno if this would go here but I created a ringtone in garageband, and well, its this song and I got it down to 20 seconds and it is really 'fuzzy' but the sound that comes out of my phone is crap.

Can anyone help with this?

Sorry for another question but I googled and found nothing similar to this question. Can I take the RAM from a Macbook and use it in the new Mac Minis? I have 6GB going spare, I suppose the Mac Minis can't go any higher than 8GB in ram, right?

Alchemy

This happened to me twice the first day I got my Air, but hasn't happened since. MAGIC!

r1chard

Yay! Placed the order for my new 13" MBA to replace my ageing 13" unibody MacBook :)

Got the processor (2GHz i7) and RAM (8GB) maxed out, as I use it for software dev and number crunching. Hoping the OpenGL implementation over the Intel chipset doesn't utterly suck like almost every other Intel OpenGL implementation...

Sorry for another question but I googled and found nothing similar to this question. Can I take the RAM from a Macbook and use it in the new Mac Minis? I have 6GB going spare, I suppose the Mac Minis can't go any higher than 8GB in ram, right?

Depends on if it's the same RAM. The 2010 mini can handle a max of 8 GB and the 2011 mini can handle up to 16 GB (quad-core up to 32 I believe).

Here's my first post from my new Mac. I'm starting to find my way around everything. So far the biggest headache was finding a good solution for opening a KeePass 2.x database. Lucky for me an alpha version of KeePassX 2.0 was just recently released. The things that have impressed me the most are the trackpad and the reboot speed. I typically disable trackpads and just connect a mouse but since I've heard such good things about Mac trackpads I decided to give the gesture stuff a try and it works much better than I expected.

I am indeed referring to migration assistant. However I do not have FireWire on either device. I also don't have Ethernet on the MBA. Tranferring 50GB over my UVERSE connection is suicide. It also seems the transfer can't be done over USB 3.0

USB 3.0 does not seem to be an option that I have seem anywhere. I can understand not wanting to do it over WiFi, so it looks like unfortunately that means you'd have to buy a $30 adapter.

I have a potentially stupid question and don't know where else to ask it.

What type of hit will I take on the performance of my MBA if I simply close app windows but do not quit? I like the notifications in apps such as email but am unsure how memory intensive it can be.

Underrated feature of the MBA as well; the keyboard. It destroys anything I've used in the past on a laptop.

Shadow780

I'm playing Diablo 3 on the new MBP @ full screen windowed mode, and if I switch to another program (chrome) it becomes extremely laggy, is this fixable?

mollipen

I gave up on using Firefox long ago, personally. I really like Chrome, but for some reason, it seems to run terribly for me on all of my machines. At the moment, I use Safari, and I really like it.

I think if you're liking Chrome, stick with that.

Top Bottom