• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

giga

Where things get really exciting is when you have an application that not only handles scaling properly, but also takes advantage of the added resolution. Take Aperture 3.3 for example. With OS X set to its “best for Retina display” mode, this is what Aperture looks like with a 2880 x 1800 image open and displayed at full size:

1440.jpg

Here Apple is scaling the UI elements like the menus and widgets on the screen (backing scale factor = 2.0), but displaying the open image unscaled (backing scale factor = 1.0). As a result we can fit almost an entire 2880 x 1800 image on the screen without zooming out. Remember the backing scale factor isn’t global, individual elements on the screen can be scaled independently depending on their purpose.

The same thing happens when you look at applications like iMovie or Final Cut HD. The UI elements are scaled up but the video window is displayed unscaled, thus allowing us to display a full 1080p video alongside text and tools that are still legible.

It’s all handled amazingly well. It just works.
Holy shit that's awesome and pretty smart. Text and UI elements get 2x scaling but images and video can be left at 1x to maintain quality and fit more content in apps. That was something I was worried about early on. Having Photoshop or Aperture show your images at 2x instead of its native size would be mad.

bionic77

Coming from a Disk Hard Drive to a Solid State one, of course it is going to be faster.
I have a SSD in my 2010 MBP. The Air still feels a lot faster. Even though it might be slower in some tasks without the discrete graphics card. For simple tasks it just flies.

I am still in that brand new Mac phase where I am treating it like a baby. I clean it obsessively and even wash my hands before I use it. This phase usually lasts like a month and then I start treating it like every other computer (though I still do clean them periodically).

edit:

Anyone have this sleeve for their Air?

http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Products-Form-Fitting-Ultrabook-SPK-A0227/dp/B004LWN3R0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340463424&sr=8-1&keywords=13%22+Macbook+Air+Sleeve

Has good reviews for the most part. Just need something simple that looks nice and that will give the Air a little protection when I am carrying it around.

Pretty sure even Apple recommends it every once in awhile.

I misread the post, when he said "calibrate" I thought he meant some of the crazy stuff people do when they first get their device.

Yes here is what they recommend, one full discharge-recharge cycle per month.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

They specifically recommend not leaving it plugged in all the time, which I actually need to stop doing. I mostly use mine at home where there's a power source available.

bionic77

Leaving my Core Duo MBP battery plugged in all the time definitely killed my battery faster than it should have.

I feel like their batteries are better and smarter now about that. Did not have this problem with my i5 MBP, which is 2 years old.

chumps

I misread the post, when he said "calibrate" I thought he meant some of the crazy stuff people do when they first get their device.

Yes here is what they recommend, one full discharge-recharge cycle per month.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

They specifically recommend not leaving it plugged in all the time, which I actually need to stop doing. I mostly use mine at home where there's a power source available.

Yes in general it's best to basically abuse the battery. Charge/recharge at various levels. Complete discharges. Etc.

With my first battery on my Macbook it was plugged in 99% of the time, and although it had very few battery cycles the battery health was poor and I was getting some warnings in OSX.

Apple replaced the battery and since then I've had to use my Macbook on the road a lot. It's a newish battery and it already has 276 cycles but the battery health is at 94% and battery life has been awesome in general.

LProtag

So are a lot of programs and the internet really shitty looking on the retina?

Can you downscale the resolution properly to play games?

chumps

Nothing trumps matte, obviously.

It's not that simple. Matte screen = loss in resolution, contrast, and unavoidable DIFFUSE glare.

On a glossy screen if you are able to control the family of angles in which you use it, it doesn't matter if, for example, you are sitting right next to a blindingly bright window. All the light will glance off the glass and into the eyes of someone else. In the same scenario a matte screen would be washed out as its family angles is basically 180 degrees. Matte screens will also produce a slight sub-surface scattering effect which decreases contrast.

chumps

Yes and yes.

Programs will be updated for Retina pretty quickly, however.

The Internet will take a lot longer.*

*Which reminds me, I need to update my Tumblr for Retina.

chumps

Anandtech said:
What’s even crazier is Apple wasn’t pleased with the difference in baseline filtering quality between the Intel HD 4000 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M GPUs. As the Retina Display MacBook Pro would have to regularly switch between GPUs, Apple wanted to ensure a consistently good experience regardless of which GPU was active. There are a lot of filtering operations at work when doing all of this resolution scaling, so rather than compromise user experience Apple simply wrote its own default filtering routines. Apple’s obsessive attention to detail really made it possible to pull all of this off. It’s just insane to think about.

This is so awesome, and something not addressed in all the other crappy first day reviews.

Scaling/filtering is a very complex thing and it's awesome that it was such a high priority for Apple. They could have easily been like, well we have 4x the number of physical pixels so filtering isn't that important.

It's similar to the AA vs resolution debate. No matter how much resolution you have, filtering is always a factor.

ruxtpin

Banned
So after numerous calls and repeating my address many times. The FedEx guy managed to snag the package from whatever apartment complex he initially delivered it to. Package wasn't opened or anything, which is what I was concerned about.

And now I'm posting from new 13 inch MBA =D I've been downloading some updates, iTunes music, getting Xcode and some other stuff setup (Dropbox, Evernote).

Any recommendations for some good Mac utilities?

I think I'm going to hold off a year after reading that review. I fiddled around with the MacBook Pro retina some more and it just irked me that the scrolling and launch pad/spaces animations werent buttery smooth. It's just something that I don't think I can go with.

Time to spend that money on a SSD drive or a good monitor....

Enco

GAF and Chrome look awful.

The OS UI looks beautiful and zoomed in text is amazing. I wouldn't mind using this laptop as my main computer but I value my neck and I enjoy gaming.

I don't have the Retina. I've used my dads

njean777

So I have come back to eat crow, I have pulled a 180 on the retina. My friend purchased one and I got to play with it for a few hours and fell in love. So much so, I returned the base 15in and purchased a retina. I still think the non user upgradeable parts are a little annoying, but I ate the cost and just got applecare with it.

3N16MA

Banned
So I have come back to eat crow, I have pulled a 180 on the retina. My friend purchased one and I got to play with it for a few hours and fell in love. So much so, I returned the base 15in and purchased a retina. I still think the non user upgradeable parts are a little annoying, but I ate the cost and just got applecare with it.

You went with your gut which means you are less likely to have buyers remorse.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Think I am going to go Retina.

I would need 16GB out of the box either way (and apple tax is not as severe as before, 180 at student price vs. 120-170 for third party upgrade on the non-retina) and would likely add an SSD to the ODD for performance reasons.

The only thing I am leery about is the 256GB standard config. :/

I should be okay as long as I leave my iPhoto library and iTunes library off the machine. The extra 600 is just so steep and I can cross my fingers that OWC will offer a less expensive upgrade in the future.

Price (educational prices for apple parts)
Retina-MBP + 16GB RAM = $2,179
MBP + 256 SSD(in DVD bay) + 16GB RAM = $2,529

Before you decide that $600 is too steep.. look at the prices for OWC upgrades for previous models..

a 480GB upgrade for last year's macbook air is $794.. the ssd in the new retina pro is of a similar type.. so I don't expect it to be cheaper...

http://eshop.macsales.com/Search/Search.cfm?Ntk=Primary&Ns=P_Price|1&N=0&Ntt=APE6G480

I got a 256GB model.. and I have about 100GB left.. and I don't have that many files

I am on a waiting list at best buy for the 512GB model..

sikkinixx

Ugh... I wish the OWC SSD upgrades for my 2010 MBA were cheaper. For the $250 I could sell this one and upgrade for not much more :( Stupid 64GB...

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Before you decide that $600 is too steep.. look at the prices for OWC upgrades for previous models..

a 480GB upgrade for last year's macbook air is $794.. the ssd in the new retina pro is of a similar type.. so I don't expect it to be cheaper...

http://eshop.macsales.com/Search/Search.cfm?Ntk=Primary&Ns=P_Price|1&N=0&Ntt=APE6G480

I got a 256GB model.. and I have about 100GB left.. and I don't have that many files

I am on a waiting list at best buy for the 512GB model..
Oh as far as comparable upgrades $600 is reasonable in that regard (and consider that it comes with a processor bump too).

It is simply steep for my bank account.

within 24 months I expect the retina will intro at the 1799 price point, with the 2199 being the high end model. (EDIT: this leaves me to wonder what they will put in the former hole left by the 17" where the 512retina now sits)

This will be moot then, but right now I am using a mid 2007 iMac and my use case has grown to feature much more 3D modeling and rendering with a healthy dash of video and photo. I simply can't wait another year or two :(

anandtech's review of the Retina's performance with the new screen is disappointing, but expected. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6023/the-nextgen-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review/8

this device has the same feel of the first-gen MBA.

This does feel like a gen1 MBA situation, but my guess is the gains will be in smoothness and heavier reliance on integrated gpu (and the resulting benefits to battery life).

Oh as far as comparable upgrades $600 is reasonable in that regard (and consider that it comes with a processor bump too).

It is simply steep for my bank account.

within 24 months I expect the retina will intro at the 1799 price point, with the 2199 being the high end model. (EDIT: this leaves me to wonder what they will put in the former hole left by the 17" where the 512retina now sits)

This will be moot then, but right now I am using a mid 2007 iMac and my use case has grown to feature much more 3D modeling and rendering with a healthy dash of video and photo. I simply can't wait another year or two :(

Ahh ok, I understand.

That makes sense.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So new iMacs might be coming out in late July. This is just a possibility though. If the iMac is updated, do you think the screen would change at all?

I'm asking because if the iMac is updated, the cinema display would likely be updated right?

I was going to order the Cinema Display, but now I'm not sure.

Different Scenarios I had were

Get rMPB

Get rMPB + Henge Dock + Cinema Display + Mac Keyboard (My ass would be broke)

Get just a Cinema Display for my PC

I was considering getting an iMac, but I don't really need, though I do think it is a good deal. I was considering paying the extra money just to get the iMac, but I don't like that the iMac needs to be on to push through a second output (PC).

I could also get a 120HZ Samsung monitor for my PC and an iMac or the rMPG+Henge+Cinema, but shit that is a lot of money.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Ahh ok, I understand.

That makes sense.

I guess my primary frustration is that they do not offer the 512GB upgrade to the base model, without coupling it to the processor bump. They just wanted a high end sku to fall where the lack of 17" was IMO

It would get a bigger discount from educational price as well since add-ons are discounted separately, but if you jump from 2,199 to 2,799 you still only get the same $200 base discount :p *shakes fist at apple*

Zutroy

Just checking, but changing my delivery address before my rMBP has been shipped won't effect my delivery time? Thinking of changing it to get delivered at work to make sure there'll be somebody to sign for it.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
The top one looks nice and crisp.

The second looks blurry, blocky and ugly.

makes sense, too. MS optimized their cleartype rendering to make text crisper on low-DPI screens. Apple cared more about matching on-screen to high-DPI printed output. now that Apple's dragging us all to a high-DPI monitor wonderland, the 'blurriness' inherent in Apple's font-smoothing algorithm goes away.

i've been in situations where, on OSX, i'll curse the way 9pt Tahoma is rendered on my custom GAF css and wish i were in Win7. later i'll be in Photoshop, Word or PowerPoint on Win 7 and wish i were back on OSX where the font rendering is more 'authentic' and smoother.

Can someone remind me never to open up my Mac, or any electronics ever again?

I somehow fucked up my sleep/wake and when I open the lid, the screen turns on for a bit then goes to black. D:

LCfiner

I saw a new Retina MBP in the Apple Store today at lunch. looks amazing and techlust makes me want to sell every(tech)thing I have and get one, despite the fact that storage space and screen size would still be problems.

An Apple store guy came up and asked if I needed any help. I said I was curious about scaling resolution modes. He said the resolution can’t be changed then opened up display properties

He then showed me “see, it’s one resolution for retina”

“right but,” clicks radio button for scaling “now I can scale it”

Interesting that the people working there (or at least one dude working there) is stating officially that the screen only has one resolution.

anyway, the scaled modes look really great. very sharp with text at 1050 and 1200 modes. the 1900 mode was a it too small to use for me but it was certainly legible.

It’ll be so great when these high res displays are standard across all Apple’s product lines.

I saw a new Retina MBP in the Apple Store today at lunch. looks amazing and techlust makes me want to sell every(tech)thing I have and get one, despite the fact that storage space and screen size would still be problems.

An Apple store guy came up and asked if I needed any help. I said I was curious about scaling resolution modes. He said the resolution can’t be changed then opened up display properties

He then showed me “see, it’s one resolution for retina”

“right but,” clicks radio button for scaling “now I can scale it”

Interesting that the people working there (or at least one dude working there) is stating officially that the screen only has one resolution.

anyway, the scaled modes look really great. very sharp with text at 1050 and 1200 modes. the 1900 mode was a it too small to use for me but it was certainly legible.

It’ll be so great when these high res displays are standard across all Apple’s product lines.

Could just be a blunder. I went into the local store today to check out the iPad and the guy helping me got a few things wrong about the product, including the price.

Top Bottom