• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Sapiens

I saw a new Retina MBP in the Apple Store today at lunch. looks amazing and techlust makes me want to sell every(tech)thing I have and get one, despite the fact that storage space and screen size would still be problems.

An Apple store guy came up and asked if I needed any help. I said I was curious about scaling resolution modes. He said the resolution can’t be changed then opened up display properties

He then showed me “see, it’s one resolution for retina”

“right but,” clicks radio button for scaling “now I can scale it”

Interesting that the people working there (or at least one dude working there) is stating officially that the screen only has one resolution.

anyway, the scaled modes look really great. very sharp with text at 1050 and 1200 modes. the 1900 mode was a it too small to use for me but it was certainly legible.

It’ll be so great when these high res displays are standard across all Apple’s product lines.

He was being pedantic - you should have asked about scaling options.

LCfiner

Technically, he was right.

The resolution never changes, it's always native.

But I don't think that is right. When using one of the other modes, it's creating a 2X desktop of 1680 x 1050 or whatever then scaling it down to fit on the screen. It's better then the scaling in other Macs because of the 2X scaling creating a sharper downscaled image but it's not processing or displaying a native 2880 x 1800 image - just like scaling on older machines. Anandtech even went into detail aout how apple had to write their own custom scaling algorithms for the GPU due to the high resolutions.

I think the dude just forgot about the scaling modes, since he specifically went to the display properties to show me the lack of selectable numbered resolutions as on older Macs.

No big deal.

Another note. An older woman across from me was talking to her daughter about the MBP and thought she was using a 13" machine. She was slightly confused by the info on the docked iPad info screen. She then said something about it being too expensive for a 13" machine and left.

She could've used a sales person to help her.

Edit

@sapiens. He wasn't being pedantic. I asked about resolution and scaling. He knew what I was talking about and said there was only one resolution and went to the display properties. It was just a lack of knowledge for a very new product, I assume. He was talking about how there were no selectable resolutions and showed no intent to click the radio button to change modes till I did it. He then said "oh" and left.

LCfiner

it's literally *always* displaying a native 2880x1800 image, downsampling is not going to change that.

Thats not the point. That's the same as every other LCD Screen. He was saying that this screen - unlike others - could not have the resolution (as in available real estate, as we understand it) modified.

chumps

I'm not surprised the Apple guy didn't know exactly what was going on. LCD monitors have functioned in a very specific way and this is really the first time we are seeing working resolution independence. It was funny to listen to Leo Laporte on TWiT trying to figure out the new display and settings.

I was listening to the last episode of the Talk Show and Gruber mentioned something that I thought was interesting. I don't know if it's been mentioned.

He was going on how despite the rMBP display having a lower PPI than the iPad3 and the iPhone4/4s he couldn't physically discern pixels no matter how close he got to the screen. It's something I've heard a few times in the press but found unlikely because I can see pixels on my iPhone4s without too much effort.

The reason, apparently, is sub-pixel anti-aliasing for text on the Retina Macbook. So for text we're talking PPI #'s that are in effect higher than 220. AA is something that's needed no matter what resolution you have and apparently it is used to great effect on the rMBP. Currently in Lion SPAA is used for text but there are instances in certain areas of a program that can't use it, and Mountain Lion fixes that.

So for text at least there are essentially 3 levels of quality to take into consideration.

The reason I can see iPad and iPhone pixels is that it doesn't support SPAA just regular greyscale AA because the RGB arrangement on LCD's changes from vertical to landscape orientation. Personally I figure they could just create two algorithms one for each orientation but I suppose it's not high on Apple's list of priorities. It would make text on iPad's and iPhone's that much better though.

It would be super-awesome to have AA or even SPAA for things like vectors in Illustrator or wireframes in 3d applications. Having to look at crunchy meshes makes me sad.

I finally took the plunge.

I bought the 13" MacBook Air tonight. It's gorgeous.

It is my first Mac. So far, the biggest difference is the trackpad. I never realized how terrible my old laptop's track pad was until using the Air's. It's a revelation.

It is my first Mac. So far, the biggest difference is the trackpad. I never realized how terrible my old laptop's track pad was until using the Air's. It's a revelation.

Yep. I regretted every moment after I sold my 2007 MBP. Typing on my 13" air. Dear god I REFUSE to ever buy another computer without a SSD. It's going to make using my work laptop infuriating. May I will just start using my air instead. :)

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber

Wait until you learn to love gestures.

Can someone who uses REEDER help me? For some reason I can't get the gesture to open the article in the built in browser to work. I two finger swiper left/right and nothing happens when I have the article up.

I know there is a GAF best of iOS thread; is there an equivalent for OSX? I need an app that can creatively layout my Google Reader RSS feeds. Like Newsify for iOS, only on the desktop.

I started using my MBA last night at midnight. Several hours later of use, and I still have 2 hours of battery left. Love it.

LCfiner

It's already happening. I love swiping between full-screen apps and the ability to "peek" back in Safari is forcing me to reconsider using Chrome.

get bettertouchtool.

it gives you custom gestures in any app. (i still like safari but this lets you use Chrome, too)

asdad123

Would you guys recommend 16gb on the new Retina MBP? I currently have a 2.3/16gb/256 ssd on order, but Ive been thinking that the 256gb SSD might be a bit small because I want to bootcamp and install some games.

Would it be worth it to bump up to the 512gb ssd and drop to 8gb ram? I can't reorder with 512gb/16gb ram because I am going out of the country the middle of July and it would be too late.

I will mainly be doing some gaming and AutoCAD/MATLAB work. Is 16gb overkill?

njean777

Would you guys recommend 16gb on the new Retina MBP? I currently have a 2.3/16gb/256 ssd on order, but Ive been thinking that the 256gb SSD might be a bit small because I want to bootcamp and install some games.

Would it be worth it to bump up to the 512gb ssd and drop to 8gb ram? I can't reorder with 512gb/16gb ram because I am going out of the country the middle of July and it would be too late.

8gb ram should be more then enough. I believe auto cad uses more of your GPU then anything. So you could just go 8gb ram and 512GB ssd.

asdad123

8gb ram should be more then enough. I believe auto cad uses more of your GPU then anything. So you could just go 8gb ram and 512GB ssd.

Now comes the hard part of deciding if I want to spend an extra $600 >.<

I am thinking of just getting a USB 3.0 external HDD and install my games on that, but it might be a pain of just carrying that around.

njean777

Now comes the hard part of deciding if I want to spend an extra $600 >.<

I am thinking of just getting a USB 3.0 external HDD and install my games on that, but it might be a pain of just carrying that around.

If you plan to have the computer for longer then 2 years I say just go with the 512. Luckily I can get away with 256 and didn't need the 512gb SSD. I just have to limit what games I put on my bootcamp partition. Just have 1 game at a time installed.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning

you're buying a machine where your upgrade options are locked in. no reason not to go for 16GB. consider it an investment considering how well Apple laptops maintain their value when sold used.

njean777

you're buying a machine where your upgrade options are locked in. no reason not to go for 16GB. consider it an investment considering how well Apple laptops maintain their value when sold used.

If he doesn't need the 16gb though, why waste the 200 on it? It sounds to me like the 512gb SSD would be better for him instead of the ram.

If you plan to have the computer for longer then 2 years I say just go with the 512. Luckily I can get away with 256 and didn't need the 512gb SSD. I just have to limit what games I put on my bootcamp partition. Just have 1 game at a time installed.

I have the 256gb SSD rMBP too. I was wondering how much space did you dedicate to your bootcamp partition?

asdad123

I have the 256gb SSD rMBP too. I was wondering how much space did you dedicate to your bootcamp partition?

Im actually interested in this too. How much space do you have left over on you SSD after installing windows and having OSX? Im thinking of doing a 128gb/128gb split. If I could have about 100gb on each side left, that may be enough for me.

I would turn off hibernate on the windows partition to hopefully save some space since I will only be gaming on that side.

I may just wait for the 256gb version to ship out and install all my programs to see how much space I have left. It should be shipping out tonight. If its not enough, Ill run around looking for a 512gb version and return this one to the Apple Store.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I called all the apple stores in town they are all sold out of retina MBP. I'm amazed these $2200+ computers are selling out. What recession?

Half of them are probably being purchased by college students, which I'll just never, ever be able to understand :/

Mooch the system and your parents while you can, I guess! ;p

Morn

Banned
Half of them are probably being purchased by college students, which I'll just never, ever be able to understand :/

Mooch the system and your parents while you can, I guess! ;p

Obama will hand them a job when they graduate that will pay off all their student loans!

Circle T

How do i move sliders in OS X with the touch pad? I have to physically push the touch pad down?
Double-tap and hold usually works. It might be a setting, I can't remember (posting from iPad). Basically, you tap twice, but hold your finger down on the second tap. That will let you select things and move them around.

JackEtc

Does anyone have issues with Chrome on OS X, and it not keeping you logged into sites after you have quit chrome? Every time I launch Chrome after having quit it, I have to re-login to all the sites I have my username and password saved at. Once I hit login, my username and password WILL be autofilled, but Chrome just won't keep me logged in whenever I quit it.

Anyone ever had this problem?

Does anyone have issues with Chrome on OS X, and it not keeping you logged into sites after you have quit chrome? Every time I launch Chrome after having quit it, I have to re-login to all the sites I have my username and password saved at. Once I hit login, my username and password WILL be autofilled, but Chrome just won't keep me logged in whenever I quit it.

Yeah, I dont use Chrome because of it.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm tempting.

Late 2011 macbookpro 15" 2.4Ghz. $1400 on Craigslist, and I wait out retina for a revision or two?

Is that a common issue? My MacBook Air should arrive tomorrow and I was planning to use Chrome.

I use Chrome and haven't had an issue.

Oh, and Pulp? Awesome RSS app.

I am trying to decide between Pixelmator or Snapseed for photo editing. Snapseed on iOS is terrific, but Pixelmator is $5 cheaper. Decisions, decisions.

JackEtc

So the first problems with the 1st-generation retina MBP are surfacing. Apparently there's screen burn issues.
Oh fuck, I hope they aren't all affected. I hope mine is alright =\
I use Chrome and haven't had an issue.
Hmm, I wish I could figure out how to fix it.
Yeah, I dont use Chrome because of it.
Damn, I have all my bookmarks and everything synced with Chrome...and have a few extensions that I like to use.

So is Safari the way to go, and is there any way to make that migration easier?

Does anyone know of a good, slim yet rubberized case for the Air?

I want something that provides a little bit of protection and grip while out and about.

killakiz

Is there a good case study on 8GB of memory vs 16GB? APPLE really made it a hard sell on this rMBP, wish I could get 2.3Ghz with 512GB SSD.

TUSR

Banned
Is there a good case study on 8GB of memory vs 16GB? APPLE really made it a hard sell on this rMBP, wish I could get 2.3Ghz with 512GB SSD.

Everyone wishes they could do this sadly. And it all depends on the user how much RAM they will be using.

AutoCAD isn't that intensive, even 3D modelling programs (Inventor, Solidworks, ProE/Creo...) don't need a laptop as powerful as the new Pro.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.

Had this problem a few weeks ago when I got a Macbook. Chrome kept logging me out of GAF everytime I shut it off so I just went back to Firefox.

I assume everyone saw the Anandtech review of the new Macbook Pro Retina?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6023/the-nextgen-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review/18

It wins the *rare* Anandtech Editor's Choice Award.

Also, as I mentioned in the other thread about the guy who used his calibration tools to determine the color accuracy:

Apple made no mention of impact to color accuracy or color gamut. It turns out that the omission was for good reason, the Retina Display offers no improvement along either vector. The numbers show a slight regression compared to last year&#8217;s panel but the difference is imperceivable.

Disappointing for those whom color accuracy is paramount and were hoping to not always need to tether to their IPS desktop monitor. But at least the contrast is much better. The best color gamuts in laptops remain at Dell, HP and Sony.

njean777

I havent installed it yet, but will most likely put it to 50gb. Should be enough for windows, chrome, and maybe 2 games depending on size.

Well this isn't good... hopefully it's not something that effects all of them.

It doesn't, I have mine set for display sleep at 45 minutes and have left in on all day and no burn in here.

r1chard

It doesn't, I have mine set for display sleep at 45 minutes and have left in on all day and no burn in here.
I figure (based on the reports I've read and the incredibly young age of the devices) that it's not actually burn-in but rather a defect that affects a number of the LCD panels that just looks a bunch like burn-in. There's no way that consistent burn-in of these panels wouldn't have been noticed before launch.

Anyway, the laptops are covered by returns policy so it's not like it's the end of the world.

Top Bottom