• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Chris R

That is quite the jump too!

Might upgrade from my '11 13" MBA if the rumors of the 13" rMBP are true... Hope they are!

what is the best virus protection program to use on the Macbook Pro Retina?

ClamXav, Sophos or Virusbarrier?

Common sense. Don't go opening attachments from people you don't know or visiting websites with malicious links. And don't open/install things from sources you don't trust.

Zapages

Common sense. Don't go opening attachments from people you don't know or visiting websites with malicious links. And don't open/install things from sources you don't trust.

yes ofcourse, but with Windows, I always have Microsoft Security Essentials running.

Tabris

TaLK0.jpg

Need to replace mouse with a white logitech bluetooth mouse.

LCfiner

you won’t. don’t sweat it.

if you’re worried about malware programs in the future, you got gatekeeper in mountain lion to prevent unsigned apps from launching

Tabris

What malware or viruses?

Come on now. I'm on the Mac bandwagon right now, but that Flashback virus has taken the above concept out of the window. Now I never used antivirus on Windows either because as long as you're the least bit of a power user, it's easy to avoid viruses on any system. But I don't think you should be pushing that to novice users of any system, as the more popular Mac gets, the more malware that will be developed and holes that are exploited (every system has holes).

Gatekeeper should slow that though.

Come on now. I'm on the Mac bandwagon right now, but that Flashback virus has taken the above concept out of the window. Now I never used antivirus on Windows either because as long as you're the least bit of a power user, it's easy to avoid viruses on any system. But I don't think you should be pushing that to novice users of any system, as the more popular Mac gets, the more malware that will be developed and holes that are exploited (every system has holes).

Gatekeeper should slow that though.

Totally agreed.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Flashback is so damn easy to prevent it's not even funny. As long as you keep one rule in mind. If an application asks to install an update, and you are not sure it was provoked, go to the web site and download the update manually. Especially Flash. Any time Flash tells me there's an update (Which is rare since I use Chrome) I go to Adobe's site.

Having any sort of virus software on OS X would actually make things clunky and would be useless anyway. Anything that can affect OS X will need to be given permission from the user anyway. Unless it's a shitty app that happens to have ROOT access and gets infected, but then again, that's Flash and Java and both those can be avoided. Flash by using Chrome and Java by disabling it in your browser.

That's not to say it'll never be needed, but right now.. eh. When you need a virus program on OS X, believe me, the community will let you know.

VPhys

I switched to a Mac on Thursday with a new Macbook Pro Retina, and then bought a Thunderbolt Display + Wireless Keyboard + Wireless Trackpad today. I am in love. I assumed I would struggle for the first while getting used to the Mac from Windows but it's not taking that long. I just watched a couple youtube videos on mac shortcuts and tips/tricks, and when you use Wireless Trackpad + a real mouse (that magic mouse is garbage and I didn't buy it) in tandem, it's so easy to perform the functions you want quickly. Everything between my phone, tablet and desktop is synced.

I was also worried about being able to do with work with it, but the built-in VPN functionality works perfectly with Cisco VPNs and Microsoft Remote Desktop, except for crashing once when closing, has worked like a charm. I'm in love!

Just curious, what was your reason for getting the thunderbolt display? The rMBP has the same or almost the same resolution as the thunderbolt display. Thus, you have effectively similar desktop area. Are you going to be watching videos on it? Just wondering as I'm contemolainting the rMBP but I don't think I will be needing my existing 24" monitor to go along with it . I would like to consolidate as many devices as possible.

RBH

Picked up my 13" MacBook Air today.

Took under 5 minutes to transfer my iTunes library from my PC to the MBA through an external hard drive via USB 3.0.

feelsfuckinggoodman.jpg

Give us deets, son. What model? What are the specs? How amazing is it?

Its the base line 21.5 inch Imac. And I love this frickin screen! Everything looks so crisp and vibrant, definitely an upgrade from my laptop which had a horribly washed out tft screen. And while Im hesitant to say anything about OSX because I've used it for less than a day I will say that it seems to just run smoothly. Any time I opened up google chrome my laptop's fans would kick in and heat would just come out. But I just got done playing about an hour of diablo 3 on max settings and not even a peep from the Imac.

njean777

Just curious, what was your reason for getting the thunderbolt display? The rMBP has the same or almost the same resolution as the thunderbolt display. Thus, you have effectively similar desktop area. Are you going to be watching videos on it? Just wondering as I'm contemolainting the rMBP but I don't think I will be needing my existing 24" monitor to go along with it . I would like to consolidate as many devices as possible.

I purchased the retina and just bought a mini-display 27in due to watching movies and playing games on while in windows. Of course I will not be running in the native res, but the 15in is a bit to small sometimes for movies when I have friends watching and doesn't cut it for some games, also I want to hook up my ps3 to it and be able to have all my devices connected to one display.

TUSR

Banned
I purchased the retina and just bought a mini-display 27in due to watching movies and playing games on while in windows. Of course I will not be running in the native res, but the 15in is a bit to small sometimes for movies when I have friends watching and doesn't cut it for some games, also I want to hook up my ps3 to it and be able to have all my devices connected to one display.

mini display 27in?

wut

Tabris

I assume you have never done "dual screen" computing, as it's very hard to go back. I am coming from 2x 24" monitors in Windows (and 2x monitors at work) where I would be be able to see multiple windows at the same time clearly (i.e. for work having Outlook on one screen and SQL Management Studio on one, for home watching a movie on one screen and surfing on the other screen). Now Macs make single screen better with things like Mission Control/Swiping but the examples above can't really be accomplished unless you want squished on one 15" screen.

One thing i miss regarding screen real estate from Windows is being able to drag a window to the side and have it automatically resize to 50% of the screen (horizontal, 100% vertical). So it's super quick to show 2 windows/applications side by side to compare or look at both. With dual screen computing, it allowed you to essentially multi-task 4 things very easily.

Tabris

Flashback is so damn easy to prevent it's not even funny. As long as you keep one rule in mind. If an application asks to install an update, and you are not sure it was provoked, go to the web site and download the update manually. Especially Flash. Any time Flash tells me there's an update (Which is rare since I use Chrome) I go to Adobe's site.

You're a power user and it's obvious from the 600k+ infections that the education of that is lacking. The reason why that education is lacking? Is because of Apple and users like Liu Kang talking like viruses and malware don't exist for the Mac so they never educate themselves.

the thunderbolt display can show almost 4 times the information as the rMBP's display, seeing how they both are about the same resolution, but one of them isn't retina.

it honestly boggles my mind how someone does not understand this.

You're a power user and it's obvious from the 600k+ infections that the education of that is lacking. The reason why that education is lacking? Is because of Apple and users like Liu Kang talking like viruses and malware don't exist for the Mac so they never educate themselves.
There's nothing you can do about it but pay attention to what you're giving consent to install. Apple patches what comes out, and the antivirus applications that exist focus on Windows viruses that you could spread somehow.

"What viruses and malware" was the wrong thing to say. It's more accurate to call out the Mac antivirus applications for not being able to help you with what ends up coming out.

I assume you have never done "dual screen" computing, as it's very hard to go back. I am coming from 2x 24" monitors in Windows (and 2x monitors at work) where I would be be able to see multiple windows at the same time clearly (i.e. for work having Outlook on one screen and SQL Management Studio on one, for home watching a movie on one screen and surfing on the other screen). Now Macs make single screen better with things like Mission Control/Swiping but the examples above can't really be accomplished unless you want squished on one 15" screen.

One thing i miss regarding screen real estate from Windows is being able to drag a window to the side and have it automatically resize to 50% of the screen (horizontal, 100% vertical). So it's super quick to show 2 windows/applications side by side to compare or look at both. With dual screen computing, it allowed you to essentially multi-task 4 things very easily.
Their are a lot of apps for OS X that let you do just that, here's one:

http://www.irradiatedsoftware.com/cinch/

VPhys

Well, my pc is hooked up to my HDTV so when i want to watch movies I drag the video from my monitor to the HDTV. Just want to make sure I'm not mising something here, it seems these large monitors, especially on multi monitor setups are primarily for gaming and or movie watching.

the thunderbolt display can show almost 4 times the information as the rMBP's display, seeing how they both are about the same resolution, but one of them isn't retina.

it honestly boggles my mind how someone does not understand this.

I think you mean 4x the size, not 4x the information. If you mean that yes I understand it.

Datrio

TaLK0.jpg

Need to replace mouse with a white logitech bluetooth mouse.

Excuse me, but why a mouse and a magic touchpad? I understand that you sometimes might want to work with swiping, and sometimes use precise controls, but it still seems like a bit of redundancy.

LCfiner

One thing i miss regarding screen real estate from Windows is being able to drag a window to the side and have it automatically resize to 50% of the screen (horizontal, 100% vertical). So it's super quick to show 2 windows/applications side by side to compare or look at both. With dual screen computing, it allowed you to essentially multi-task 4 things very easily

with the amount of screen real estate you have, you may want to install moom. it gives you fine grain control of window snapping in both horizontal and vertical directions. I swear by it.

http://manytricks.com/moom/

Rockman

So I'll be receiving my replacement rMBP sometime this week due to some serious image persistence problems on my screen. What software would you all recommend to make a clone of the HDD before I even boot into OSX? Something that is live USB bootable maybe?

So I'll be receiving my replacement rMBP sometime this week due to some serious image persistence problems on my screen. What software would you all recommend to make a clone of the HDD before I even boot into OSX? Something that is live USB bootable maybe?

I don't understand your question, but every new Macbook ships with a recovery partition that can do a clean install onto your HDD in no time.

Tabris

Excuse me, but why a mouse and a magic touchpad? I understand that you sometimes might want to work with swiping, and sometimes use precise controls, but it still seems like a bit of redundancy.

Mac functionality with trackpad and accuracy/comfort with the mouse. I do some report development as part of my job and some of that involves Crystal Reporting which is a lot of tweaking sizes of fields or graphical elements. Too much of a pain on a trackpad and magic mouse wasn't comfortable and doesn't have full functionality of trackpad. It's best of both worlds, available to me with my left and right hand.

with the amount of screen real estate you have, you may want to install moom. it gives you fine grain control of window snapping in both horizontal and vertical directions. I swear by it.

http://manytricks.com/moom/

That is exactly what I needed and it's available on the app store. Thank you!

Rockman

I don't understand your question, but every new Macbook ships with a recovery partition that can do a clean install onto your HDD in no time.

Oh, I thought the recovery partition requires an internet connection to perform a restore? Last time I tried it connected to the Apple servers and downloaded some files, that took a long while. I'm trying to find a way to bypass that completely and just slap on the factory default image already installed, something I normally do with Windows using Clonezilla. I tried using Clonezilla with the rMBP and it booted fine, but man it freaked the hell out because of the resolution.

bionic77

Hey MacGAF, for those of you that have an Air, what do you have, 13" or 11"? Why did you choose what you chose? I'm deciding between those two right now. When I'm at home, if I need the space I can hook it up to an external monitor for doing spacious work, but on the go (this will be fore school), is there a discernible difference?
Yeah there is definitely a difference in portability. The 11" is just insanely portable and the 13" does feel big after you pick up the 11". I went with the 13" after playing around with both of them for a good 30 minutes in the Apple store. I travel a lot so portability matters a lot to me, but I found it to be much more comfortable typing on the 13" compared to the 11" (GAF educated me that the keyboards are exactly the same size, but the amount of space for your wrists is more on the 13 and it felt more comfortable to me). If it was not for that I would have gotten the 11". I thought the screen on the 11 was a little on the tiny side but it was something I could have lived it. The battery I am not so sure about.

I am really happy with my 13" though but like I said you have to try it out yourself to see the difference.

Oh, I thought the recovery partition requires an internet connection to perform a restore? Last time I tried it connected to the Apple servers and downloaded some files, that took a long while. I'm trying to find a way to bypass that completely and just slap on the factory default image already installed, something I normally do with Windows using Clonezilla. I tried using Clonezilla with the rMBP and it booted fine, but man it freaked the hell out because of the resolution.

you are going to buy Mountain Lion in a week or so anyway, there are guides out there how to create a bootable USB Drive with that. Thing's smaller than 4GB so there's one option.

And yes, it does require an internet connection but Apple's servers have been super fast for me. YMMV obvi.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hey guys. I am finding myself in more and more need of a laptop with a bunch of the side jobs I do outside of work (moderating/helping with social media for sites) and have been wanting a MacBook for a while now. Are you expecting the rumor of a 13" retina to be true?

I am debating pulling the trigger and grabbing a 15" retina at Best Buy, but would rather have the 13 if it is indeed coming.

This will be my first Mac as well. Haven't used one since high school. How hard is it to jump back into the OS?

Hey guys. I am finding myself in more and more need of a laptop with a bunch of the side jobs I do outside of work (moderating/helping with social media for sites) and have been wanting a MacBook for a while now. Are you expecting the rumor of a 13" retina to be true?

extremely unlikely for a year and the increasingly likely every year after that. Expect it no earlier than 2014, and even then don't hold your breath.

This will be my first Mac as well. Haven't used one since high school. How hard is it to jump back into the OS?

OS X is really awesome and has only gotten better since whenever that was you were in high school.

Given the jobs you mentioned, you'd be hard-pressed to find a notebook better suited to your needs than the 13" Air, honestly.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
extremely unlikely for a year and the increasingly likely every year after that. Expect it no earlier than 2014, and even then don't hold your breath.

OS X is really awesome and has only gotten better since whenever that was you were in high school.

Given the jobs you mentioned, you'd be hard-pressed to find a notebook better suited to your needs than the 13" Air, honestly.

Thanks. I debated the air, but would like a bit more power and retina. My last few laptops have all crapped out, and I'm wanting to get a very solid long-lasting future proof laptop now. If the 13" won't be this year I may go for the 15" retina.

8GB of ram should be enough for a while right? Or should I go 16GB since you cannot upgrade the RAM in the new models?

Thanks. I debated the air, but would like a bit more power and retina. My last few laptops have all crapped out, and I'm wanting to get a very solid long-lasting future proof laptop now. If the 13" won't be this year I may go for the 15" retina.

8GB of ram should be enough for a while right? Or should I go 16GB since you cannot upgrade the RAM in the new models?

RAM is never enough but 8GB should be fine ;)

Try the Air. I've been doing some pretty heavy-duty photoshop work on the previous generation 11" and couldn't be happier. (on a 27" thunderbolt display no less).

They are really freaking fast.

Also, for the time being, all the Retina is going to do is make all websites and all other computers look awful.

LCfiner

Mac functionality with trackpad and accuracy/comfort with the mouse. I do some report development as part of my job and some of that involves Crystal Reporting which is a lot of tweaking sizes of fields or graphical elements. Too much of a pain on a trackpad and magic mouse wasn't comfortable and doesn't have full functionality of trackpad. It's best of both worlds, available to me with my left and right hand.

That is exactly what I needed and it's available on the app store. Thank you!

Careful with the MAS version. New sandboxing rules means it can't be updated. But the devs will transfer your MAS license to an independant license for free. They talk about this on their website.

I made the switch last month.

Does anyone else's 13 inch MBA (late-2011?) get extremely hot when running Netflix? Considering I have nothing open but Chrome, it seems strange that the fans should go so wild when running video. It's on a hard surface, so that shouldn't be affecting it.

edit: It runs perfectly in Safari. Weird!

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
I think the way Chrome sandboxes Flash and Silverlight, neither plugins are able to offload video processing to the GPU. I've found Firefox and Safari to handle Netflix better than Chrome. This is the same in Windows, but swap Safari for Internet Explorer.

And to throw in my 2 cents on windows management and trackpad/mouse usage - at both work and home I use a Logitech wireless mouse and the Magic Trackpad to get the most out of OSX and Mission Control. I'm a heavy multitasker and Mission Control plus the trackpad gestures makes it easy to switch workspaces by multi-swiping left or right. Still need a mouse (and Wacom tablet, actually) to work in CS5.5 with any efficiency.

BetterTouchTool lets me refine how the gestures operate in apps and, as a bonus, provides Windows 7 windows snapping for free.

Last, I use Divvy (came bundled in a MacUpdate deal) to snap windows using the keyboard. Moom has a far nicer interface, though. Cheaper to boot. :/

So it seems the fan in my mid-2009 15" MBP is dying. I bought a screwdriver on Saturday (actually a set, but whatever) to open up the bottom case as I didn't have the right size already. Just hearing it, I thought it was a dust problem, so I cleaned it out (needed to happen anyway as it's been almost 3 years without an internal cleaning). Found a loose screw which was part the left fan array, and I thought that it might be responsible for the noise.

Closed it all up and it seemed to be fine. But then I get this horrible grinding noise again from the left fan. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's definitely not good. So I need to replace it. Right fan could probably use a replacement as well just to run quieter, but it doesn't have the same issue and I'm a bit strapped for cash here.

Now prices on a replacement kit for this fan vary anywhere from $8 to $60. The cheaper ones are on Amazon. I need to open up my computer again and check the manufacturer/exact model number though before I'd order one.

Anyone else have experience with this?

Hopefully the ones in the $8-$20 range will be acceptable. I think the other vendors are probably just markups. I may need to buy that special star-shaped screwdriver as well - we have a couple of those laying around, but I'm not sure if any are the right size. May also grab one of those prying tools for a couple bucks since I'll need to separate the fan connector to the circuit board.

Blackhead

Redarse
a macbook pro retina issue
Success and all problems fixed

Solution was to uninstall the BVU195 Display drivers that allowed me to connect external monitors to the USB Port. I ran the 'Displaylnk install' program and told it to uninstall the drivers. It fixed immediately the following problems :

1. Screen saver was starting at random times - now works perfectly.

2. Putting my mac to sleep when connected to Thunderbolt display - if the Macbook pro lid was shut at that time, I could never get it to wake up. Now I just press the 'eject' button on the external keyboard connected to the Thunderbolt and it wakes up every time.

3. Skype was constantly saying my status was 'Away' and despite choosing 'Online' it kept switching to 'Away'. This problem solved as well.

I didn't find that I am getting younger and better looking as well, but wouldn't be suprised if it fixes that as well .

Thanks to Apple Support who spent much time on the phone trying to help and had booked a Genius bar appointment. I didn't even think to mention that I had those drivers installed. Needless to say that the Displaylink drivers are gone for good.
Yes! This was bugging the hell out of me and I uninstalled and reinstalled various sleep management apps trying to diagnose the problem to no avail.

By the way, opening Pages in low resolution mode makes all pages but the first one appear to be blank. It's embarrassing that iWork hasn't been updated yet.

Top Bottom