• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Heh, I just found out the hard way to not run Software Update while using Airplay Mirroring. Seems when it reboots, seems to do something with display settings. So I had no video afterwards. Had to zap PRAM to get video back on the system itself.

Cudder

I haven't noticed any performance problems so far, on Lion at least. Are there some sites where it's particularly bad for you or is it slow in general? Is it just about loading websites or does even the app itself lag?

By the way, I just compared Safari 6 with Chrome 20 using Peacekeeper and SunSpider:
Chrome got about 3700 points in Peacekeeper, Safari only 2900. Though this big difference is probably because Safari doesn't support two of the video codecs. In general, the FPS were higher on Chrome, but in one or two of the tests Safari was better.

In SunSpider, they were nearly equal (158 (Chrome) vs 154 (Safari)), but for some reason Safari took way longer.
Lags and stutters like crazy when scrolling.

bro1

Banned
My wife is a grapilhic designer/marketing consultant. She has an iMac(latest model with 20gigs of ram) and a anew iPad. Her latest client needs her to be onsite for 4 days a week for 8 weeks. Would a Mac air cut it? The majority of the screwing work hopefully will be done at home but some may have to go onsite.

My wife is a grapilhic designer/marketing consultant. She has an iMac(latest model with 20gigs of ram) and a anew iPad. Her latest client needs her to be onsite for 4 days a week for 8 weeks. Would a Mac air cut it? The majority of the screwing work hopefully will be done at home but some may have to go onsite.

If its just InDesign/Illustrator, I'm sure the new MacBook Airs would do fine.

20 GB of Ram...I wish my MBP could use that much ;___;

Enco

The MB retina screen is infinitely better than the air. Can't even compare them. The retina will also be a lot more powerful and applicable to your needs.

If she wont use it much then an Air is fine as it's very portable. However, a retina MB is the best bet for long term graphics in my opinion.

I'm having a dilema. I definitely want to take off my disc drive...but Im not sure if I want to shove a 1 TB hard drive or a smaller SSD drive.

Anyone have experience putting a SSD drive in their MacBook Pro? Is it as magical as I think it would be or would I be fine with a 5200 TB harddrive?

If it makes any difference, I already have a 2 TB external connected on USB 2.0...I also do a lot of photography/vid work

TUSR

Banned
I'm having a dilema. I definitely want to take off my disc drive...but Im not sure if I want to shove a 1 TB hard drive or a smaller SSD drive.

Anyone have experience putting a SSD drive in their MacBook Pro? Is it as magical as I think it would be or would I be fine with a 5200 TB harddrive?

If it makes any difference, I already have a 2 TB external connected on USB 2.0...I also do a lot of photography/vid work

Put a solid-state in where your hard drive is now put a bigger hard drive in optical drive spot

Put a solid-state in where your hard drive is now put a bigger hard drive in optical drive spot

This. It's really the only way to fly. You get the best of speed and storage. I'll never go back to a pre SSD world. It's the single best upgrade you can do.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member

This. It's really the only way to fly. You get the best of speed and storage. I'll never go back to a pre SSD world. It's the single best upgrade you can do.

Is there any reason for this? If I get 6GB bus speeds from both bays do I gain anything from putting the SSD in the hard drive bay rather than just installing it in the ODD caddy?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is there any reason for this? If I get 6GB bus speeds from both bays do I gain anything from putting the SSD in the hard drive bay rather than just installing it in the ODD caddy?
SSD's are always 9mm high. Larger laptop HDD's are 12mm. The internal drive slot for a MacBook is 9mm. The optical drive lets a larger drive fit.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I've been a Mac guy for many years; long before it was "cool" ;p That said, I have, up until now, been unable to justify the purchase of an iPad.

I've wanted one since the day it was announced; but I just had no need. In school I had my laptop with me 99% of the time. On the road, I always have my iPhone. And I have plenty of handhelds for games, and prefer to use my desktop computer when at home if I'm gonna browse the net.

But now with my new job, I'm traveling a lot more; about 2 or 3 week-long trips a month. And while I have my work laptop, it's pretty clunky with a weak screen and just average PC battery life. I can finally justify that iPad; as I'll use it on the plane, waiting in airports, and for browsing the internet in my hotel, and for keeping tabs on my incredibly busy calendar on the road. And I'll use it for more comfortable face-time when away from family and friends.

So, yeah... just excited and wanted to share! ;p

I'm gonna keep it simple; and just go with the 16GB White Retina iPad, Wi-fi only. I figure in a pinch, I do have my phone's 3G. And it's easy for me to transfer videos to the iPad when I come home from my desktop. I'll also be using a green Smart Case.

I plan to grab it this weekend during tax-free weekend.

SSD's are always 9mm high. Larger laptop HDD's are 12mm. The internal drive slot for a MacBook is 9mm. The optical drive lets a larger drive fit.

In addition to this I remember reading something ages ago with earlier SSD installs about people having issues with OSX not picking up a boot drive properly that isn't in the primary spot since that is where it looks first. Might be a non issue now though

Tabris

Just got mine yesterday and checked this. It is a little warm on the left hand corner and completely cool on the right hand corner.

I would love to hear whether it heats up after a couple hours of use at a time for you also? I'm just worried I may have a defective unit.

Hey I know absolutely nothing about Mac Minis

My folks are interested in one, and I was hoping you guys could help me out.

What kind of keyboards and mice are compatible? Can they even be wired? What about monitors?
My folks have a 10 year old Sony Vaio PC. They were hoping to re use All of their old stuff (monitor, keyboard and mouse, both wired). I told them probably not, but I want to be sure.

They also want to transfer data from the PC to the Mac, but I can't even think of what they'd possibly want to transfer. I'll just chalk it up to "weird older person question about computers"

Thanks GAF:) I think you're all really cute :)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The Retina MBP is my dream machine

I wish it wasn't so goddamned expensive
Cost isn't even my issue. My problem is deciding between a super fast, super powerful first generation machine filled with new technologies, or a slower, but still faster upgrade to the super light machine I already have to hold me over until the other machine has matured. It shouldn't be this hard of a decision. The pro's and con's for both machines are numerous for me. There's really no wrong answer.

Hey I know absolutely nothing about Mac Minis

My folks are interested in one, and I was hoping you guys could help me out.
We can.

What kind of keyboards and mice are compatible? Can they even be wired? What about monitors?
My folks have a 10 year old Sony Vaio PC. They were hoping to re use All of their old stuff (monitor, keyboard and mouse, both wired). I told them probably not, but I want to be sure.
Any USB or Bluetooth mouse or keyboard. As long as it's not PS/2 it'll work fine. It can use any monitor with the right adapter. The mini has a Thunderbolt port which is compatible with Mini DVI (Or is it Micro?) You will probably need an adapter. Before you buy a machine, check their monitor connector and get the right adapter for it from Monoprice or something.

They also want to transfer data from the PC to the Mac, but I can't even think of what they'd possibly want to transfer. I'll just chalk it up to "weird older person question about computers"
OS X has a Migration Assistant which will transfer all the correct files. You will need an Ethernet cable I think. Or just have both computers on the same network. And then you'd install a utility on the Windows site to help assist with the transfer.

Do they have music? They might have documents. It might be easier to look at their system yourself and find all the stuff they have scattered around, move it to a central location and copy it to a HDD or USB Stick yourself and forget the Assistant all together.

Thanks GAF:) I think you're all really cute :)
Why thank you.

Any USB or Bluetooth mouse or keyboard. As long as it's not PS/2 it'll work fine. It can use any monitor with the right adapter. The mini has a Thunderbolt port which is compatible with Mini DVI (Or is it Micro?) You will probably need an adapter. Before you buy a machine, check their monitor connector and get the right adapter for it from Monoprice or something.

:) :) :) so helpful!

Thanks. Last question. Their monitor is 4:3. Is there any weird compatibility issues with that?

:) :) :) cute cute cutee~

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
:) :) :) so helpful!

Thanks. Last question. Their monitor is 4:3. Is there any weird compatibility issues with that?

:) :) :) cute cute cutee~
Nope. 4:3? Man that's so... 2004? But it'll work fine. How high is the resolution? OS X prefers and works best with at least 800x600, but would be better with 1024x768. It's all about the height of the resolution. Too low and you lose stuff at the bottom.

Also, did you find out what kind of connection it is? Monitors are pretty cheap these days if you need to get one.

Korosenai

Just recently got a Macbook Pro (15" 2011 model), and I really need a good case for it. What do you guy's suggest?

I'm not really looking for a cover, more of a case to protect it when I travel with it (unless a cover would be better).

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Macbook Pro Retina. I'm still deciding whether or not to get the 16GB upgrade. I don't know if I'll ever use it. With student discounts it is $180. The other upgrade I'm likely to get is Applecare for 3 years.

I have the money to pay for it up front but I'd rather pay for it over time (or pay half of the price at purchase and then the rest over time). I'm trying to decide whether to use the RBS Citizens Payment Plan or Barclay Visa Card (Both are offered through Apple) or apply for a Blue Amex card for an extra year of warranty (So I guess I'd have 4 years total warranty on the thing?).

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Macbook Pro Retina. I'm still deciding whether or not to get the 16GB upgrade. I don't know if I'll ever use it. With student discounts it is $180. The other upgrade I'm likely to get is Applecare for 3 years.

I have the money to pay for it up front but I'd rather pay for it over time (or pay half of the price at purchase and then the rest over time). I'm trying to decide whether to use the RBS Citizens Payment Plan or Barclay Visa Card (Both are offered through Apple) or apply for a Blue Amex card for an extra year of warranty (So I guess I'd have 4 years total warranty on the thing?).

I went with the 8gb version. I'm assuming I'll use the laptop for 3-4 years. I rarely use more than 4gb now. I doubt I'll have need for 16 and once I do have a need for that much ram it'll probably be time for a laptop update anyways.

So far I'm extremely impressed with it. Has run like a champ and the battery life is phenomenal. Much better than the 45 minutes I got with my republic of gamers laptop.

TUSR

Banned

What do you plan on doing with the laptop mostly?

If you want build advice you gotta give us a bit more info hah.

There is such a minimal chance of you hitting the 8GB mark, but knowing that it can't be upgraded after is such a mental game.

Trojita

What do you plan on doing with the laptop mostly?

If you want build advice you gotta give us a bit more info hah.

There is such a minimal chance of you hitting the 8GB mark, but knowing that it can't be upgraded after is such a mental game.

Surfing the web and gaming.

Surfing the web and gaming.

I'd go for 8gb. Can't imagine needing 16gb for gaming on a mac in the next 5 years. If you were into heavy photo/video editing then perhaps 16gb would be justified?

Speaking of gaming...what are some games that run well on a mac? I installed Diablo 3 and it runs like trash on retina resolution. Starcraft 2 runs pretty well after tweaking the resolution and settings.

njean777

I'd go for 8gb. Can't imagine needing 16gb for gaming on a mac in the next 5 years. If you were into heavy photo/video editing then perhaps 16gb would be justified?

Speaking of gaming...what are some games that run well on a mac? I installed Diablo 3 and it runs like trash on retina resolution. Starcraft 2 runs pretty well after tweaking the resolution and settings.

to be honest I wouldnt run any games at native res, I just put them to 1400x900 and it still looks great

I do the same. I install most of my games on my W7 partition, but on either OS I set them to run at 1680x1050.

Yep that is exactly what I do on windows

How much space did you guys dedicate to your W7 partition? I only ask because I have a rMBP with the 256 gb SSD, and I want to BootCamp it but I'm not sure how much space to give W7. I only care about using the Windows partition for gaming, and having 1 maybe 2 games stored at a time.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That was my dilemma too on the Retina. 16 or no 16. I'd be booting into Windows a lot, but I'd also be running it as a Virtual Machine. Wouldn't having 16GB make it better since I could allocate a whole 8GB to each OS? Or will the computer itself be fast enough to run the VM and OS X simultaneously with no Problems. I just want to make sure it'll run well. Nice thing is if I just go with 8GB I can buy it right in store and not have to wait for delivery... If they have them in stock that is.

Trojita

I just got approved for the Amex card, but I don't know if I want to wait for it to get here .

>_>

njean777

How much space did you guys dedicate to your W7 partition? I only ask because I have a rMBP with the 256 gb SSD, and I want to BootCamp it but I'm not sure how much space to give W7. I only care about using the Windows partition for gaming, and having 1 maybe 2 games stored at a time.

I put only 50gb and then just install all my games on an external drive I have.

I put only 50gb and then just install all my games on an external drive I have.

You don't have any problem running games off an external drive? Is it a USB 3 or USB 2 drive that you use? I appreciate any insight you have, I'm just trying to find with the best solution is for me since I have a finite amount of hd space on my rMBP.

njean777

You don't have any problem running games off an external drive? Is it a USB 3 or USB 2 drive that you use? I appreciate any insight you have, I'm just trying to find with the best solution is for me since I have a finite amount of hd space on my rMBP.

Mine is just an old USB2 enclosure with a 7200rpm Segate drive inside. It works really well, load times are not that long at all.

Mine is just an old USB2 enclosure with a 7200rpm Segate drive inside. It works really well, load times are not that long at all.

Thanks for the info. I have an old USB2 5400rpm external drive and I'm worried that wouldn't be fast enough. I may have to invest in a new drive to be able to run everything externally.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Squee! My Air arrived this morning! So excited to play around with it.

This thing is stupidly fast. Christ. SSD is really the way forward.
Have fun, almost one year later and I'm still loving it all the same. Didn't come cheap for me but it's definitely one of my best purchases.

Nope. 4:3? Man that's so... 2004? But it'll work fine. How high is the resolution? OS X prefers and works best with at least 800x600, but would be better with 1024x768. It's all about the height of the resolution. Too low and you lose stuff at the bottom.

Also, did you find out what kind of connection it is? Monitors are pretty cheap these days if you need to get one.

Thanks, looks like all their monitor needs is a thunderbolt adaptor to get working.

And you're right, the computer was bought in 2004 haha (actually, I did some light poking around and saw that their HDD had a whopping 15 GB capacity hahaha)

Looking at the specs is making me wonder if they should just get an Air and call it a day.

Thanks for your help by the way.

By the way! Just ordered a MacBook Pro today! (13 inch i7 model)

It'll be my first Mac, but I'm excited

Zapages

This is weird: http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php. I just checked my Apple serial. It states that I will have
Storage and Media
Hard Drive: - 512 GB, Solid State
Drive Bus: - Mini SATA (unconfirmed)
Optical Drive: - None. (USB SuperDrive available)
Optical Bus: - Not applicable
Other Media: - -

but I paid for

PROCESSOR 065-C0MX 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
MEMORY 065-0474 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
FLASH STORAGE 065-0479 768GB Flash Storage

What should I do???? Its on its way, but still sitting in

Jul 30, 2012 10:00 PM
At local FedEx facility
SHANGHAI CN
Jul 29, 2012 8:40 PM
At local FedEx facility
SHANGHAI CN

I thought Apple had great service? :\ This just took all the excitement out of me... Confused??? I can't wait longer as I will have school starting soon.

VPhys

So, it's been 6 days and I still haven't successfully downloaded Mountain Lion. I have a connection that gets up to 200kbps at times but it my rMBP can't seem to maintain a consistent connection. Also, the app store application doesn't like to resume where it left off, but instead restarts from the beginning.

Gotta love the industries move away from physical media.

Sean

Banned
So, it's been 6 days and I still haven't successfully downloaded Mountain Lion. I have a connection that gets up to 200kbps at times but it my rMBP can't seem to maintain a consistent connection. Also, the app store application doesn't like to resume where it left off, but instead restarts from the beginning.

Gotta love the industries move away from physical media.

Do you have an Apple Store nearby? I'm sure if you told the Genius bar people your issue they'd let you download it on their network in store and toss it on a USB key or something.

JackEtc

100GBs, and I've got a 512GB SSD. Gonna get a 1TB USB3 drive when I can for games, though.

Trojita

I guess I'm going to wait for the AMEX card to get here before I order the MBPr. The extra year of warranty for free is too good to give up. With Applecare that comes out to 4 years of warranty.

Top Bottom