• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
They don't have CS4 anywhere on their site anymore. Am I going to have to torrent this? :(
Yep. I had to do the same for CS5. I own the suite and have the discs but can't install them on ODless Mac. Adobe will not concert disc purchases to DL purchases even with verified and registered products :(

Edit: Extremely disappointing, I commented to my wife that it would be easier to DL and install a cracked version of CS 6 ultimate than to reinstall the purchased version of CS5 with the discs sitting in front of me.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
On the Apple TV note, why does Hulu Plus not have the same content as the website? Seems like the one you pay for should have more.

Liking Apple TV so far otherwise. The Mac/iPad mirroring is awesome. Watched a bunch of videos from my Mac on Apple TV last night.

Izick

On the Apple TV note, why does Hulu Plus not have the same content as the website? Seems like the one you pay for should have more.

Liking Apple TV so far otherwise. The Mac/iPad mirroring is awesome. Watched a bunch of videos from my Mac on Apple TV last night.

Hulu Plus really isn't worth it. I'm not sure if you got the free trial for it or what, but it just seems to be a waste compared to like Netflix, and regular Hulu seems to have a lot of the content already, as you mentioned. I'm guessing Plus is mainly for people who need to have Hulu content on non desktop/laptop devices.

Yesterday my wife and I purchased the 128GB 13" MacBook Air, as she was sick of using a gaming rig for teacher stuff.

I have in the past switched between Apple/Windows machines since the Apple IIc Plus - with my evangelism for Apple products always being stronger when facing that side of the coin. Not since the "lampshade" iMac have I been so impressed with the sheer design and build quality of a computer. I will not enumerate what makes this laptop exceptional here. Just demo one somewhere.

That leaves the negatives: at $1,199 this still is a supplemental device for anyone who wishes not to use cloud/external drives. Not to mention a lack of chops for what gaming has to offer past TF2/SC2.

bionic77

Could I be able to play some older games? Like play KOTOR 1 and 2 with good settings?
On boot camp no prob. Again you run into the lack of space unless you upgrade the internal storage, which is expensive.

For me I use it for work and web browsing so it is the perfect computer for me. But if you have more demanding needs, want to be serious about games, or need a lot of internal storage it might not work for you.

Could I be able to play some older games? Like play KOTOR 1 and 2 with good settings?

I haven't tried those specifically. Maybe someone who has can speak on it, but from a theoretical standpoint it has more than enough horsepower. It's just the software issues that come with playing older games on modern hardware that could be problematic.

tigerin

FUCK! The bastards who stole my laptop logged it onto wifi. But like an idiot I set it to remote wipe instead of just lock. I could have known exactly where the bastards were. Pretty upset with myself. :/
Wasnt there a feature on the Mac that turn on the webcam and show who are using it?

Can anyone explain this to me? I had not had a chance to turn on filevault yet (brand new mac almost) but I did have a password. findmymac did activate on the laptop and wipe my HDD.

So does this mean they were able to hack my password and get my personal files? Or did they format the drive, then while trying to get it up and running findmymac wiped and locked it down?

Until such time as you wiped it, your files would have been accessible via resetting your account's password via single-user mode (or OS install) or mounting the HDD in another computer.

FYI, your keychain files is encrypted via the password that unlocks it, so even if your files had been accessed or your account had its password changed it would remain encrypted. If you are paranoid, assume it will eventually be brute forced and change your passwords.

Until such time as you wiped it, your files would have been accessible via resetting your account's password via single-user mode (or OS install) or mounting the HDD in another computer.

FYI, your keychain files is encrypted via the password that unlocks it, so even if your files had been accessed or your account had its password changed it would remain encrypted. If you are paranoid, assume it will eventually be brute forced and change your passwords.

I put in the "wipe request" 1 day before wipe occurred. It finally found and began wipe last night at 9:01 and looks like it finished at 11:01 (find my mac says wipe complete).

So basically system works by identifying mac address of my mac regardless of whether it is connected to a wifi hotspot and then sends the kill command?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So what do Macbook Pro Retina ship times look like now? If I ordered mine today it might not be here when I'm in the state. The other state I'm going to be in has a higher tax rate :S

Majine

Banned
You will not regret it, I assure you. My mid 2011 model with just 4GBs RAM still purrs like a kitten - the Air is an amazing computer.

Hehe, I figured since its nonreplacable, I might aswell go balls to the walls with the RAM. The storage is not as important, it's going to be a work computer.

Goddamn, hurry up mailman!

Jubern

Ordered the exact same model as you. They are taking their sweet time though, as I ordered on the 4th! It should arrive tomorrow though. Exciting times ahead!

Ovid

Got an Air 13 inch 128GB 8GM RAM ordered, anyone got it? Whaddayathink? :D

Yes, I have the same specs as you.

Lion was flawless on it. Mountain Lion not so much until I did a clean install.

PROTip: Do a clean install of ML.

That is all.

Jubern

Yes, I have the same specs as you.

Lion was flawless on it. Mountain Lion not so much until I did a clean install.

PROTip: Do a clean install of ML.

That is all.

The MBAs we ordered will likely come with ML pre-installed. Why would we do a clean install? Serious question.

The MBAs we ordered will likely come with ML pre-installed. Why would we do a clean install? Serious question.

You don't need to. If you have ML, you're good to go.

If you bought one closer to launch, you would need to install ML yourself though. (I had no problems installing it on my Mid-2011 Air though)

Majine

Banned
I have a problem with ML on my current iMac. Sometimes when I log in, my wallpaper is different from the one I set, and the dock is gone (not the icons).

Pachimari

Do we expect an update to iMac 27" (maybe with a redesign) anytime soon?

I would like to get an iMac 27" for Photoshop, Dreamweaver, InDesign etc., so I can do projects at home when I'm away from school.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Got an Air 13 inch 128GB 8GM RAM ordered, anyone got it? Whaddayathink? :D

Bought the same a few weeks back other than upgrade to dual i7 and 256GB.

Love it so far, the only issue is the broken trackpad that I have to take it into the Apple store for already, which is disappointing.

Pachimari

To me the hinge holding the screen seems a bit loose and it's not possible to open up the screen without the whole MacBook Air moving. It's also sliding on tables made of wood, while it's squeaking all the time, at least my 13".

Mothman91

Need some help, but first some background information...

Hyped for Guild Wars 2, but unfortunately not for Mac, so looks like I got to get Windows. I've no idea how to use Boot Camp, so if anyone can help me out here with that, I'd incredibly appreciate it. I know you have to set some memory to the OS or someshit, but don't know how much. I think my 2010 iMac can handle it, so I should have no problems.

Arcteryx

Need some help, but first some background information...

Hyped for Guild Wars 2, but unfortunately not for Mac, so looks like I got to get Windows. I've no idea how to use Boot Camp, so if anyone can help me out here with that, I'd incredibly appreciate it. I know you have to set some memory to the OS or someshit, but don't know how much. I think my 2010 iMac can handle it, so I should have no problems.

If you have a copy of Windows, then just start up the Bootcamp Assistant, it will ask you how much space you want to allocate(partition) for Windows(be generous, ~75-100gb), then it should ask if you want to download/make a cdvd for Bootcamp updates, and then finally it asks to insert the Windows disk.

Pretty easy from there, it just reboots and you follow the Windows prompts. After that you just use the cdvd you made earlier(or your OSX disks should have Bootcamp software as well, but most likely pretty old) to update stuff.

Then just install whatever drivers/games/etc you want :D

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Finally pulled the trigger on a maxxed out (Except for SSD which I kept at 256GB) Air with 8GB RAM and 2.0GHz i7. I am actually upgrading from a 2011 Air with an i5, 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD mainly because I need the extra space and more RAM because I'm always paging out a lot. Like a lot a lot. Like sometimes 8GB of paging. And I don't even do anything but use Chrome and play Minecraft and Steam games. Basically I'm buying the machine I wanted to get when I got this one but couldn't because I was just short of the amount needed to upgrade the SSD. It was Black Friday so it was a one day sale.

I can't wait for it to arrive, but have a small amount of remorse because I really wanted the Retina. But I had to convince myself that Retina is new and therefore gonna have 1st generation quirks and it will be much better in a year or two when Retina is more widespread, the computers are faster and there's a 13" model to get. So I'm not sad. This Air is still the best Mac I've ever owned. And my next one will be the same. Actually, this second Air will be the first time I've stayed with a design between models. When I replaced my iMac G3 I got the iMac G4 which had the sunflower design. Then I got a Mac mini. A white iBook. A white MacBook, a MacBook Pro Unibody and then a 2011 Air.

The only thing I am not looking forward to is the MagSafe 2. It's going to make things complicated. I'd get the adapter but it's so small I'd lose it. I have a dedicated MagSafe from my white MacBook that died that we use for our computers shared. Now I won't be able to share the power without the adapter or without bringing my plug upstairs.

Other than that, I look forward to it. I sold my current one to my brother who has been without his own machine since his Dell died. He's been using his girlfriends who owns a pre-Unibody 15" PowerBook with a dead battery that shuts off whenever they accidentally knock the power out of the wall. So he'll be happy.

Trojita

I ordered my Macbook Pro Retina!

I got the 256 GB with the processor bumped up to 2.6 GHz. I got Applecare for 3 years and an extra year warranty with American Express.

I'm going to order a 2TB Western Digital USB 3.0 External Drive that doesn't require an AC Adaptor.

My first Mac was the Mac Mini I got last year which I use as my HTPC and I have loved it since I got it.

I ordered my Macbook Pro Retina!

I got the 256 GB with the processor bumped up to 2.6 GHz. I got Applecare for 3 years and an extra year warranty with American Express.

I'm going to order a 2TB Western Digital USB 3.0 External Drive that doesn't require an AC Adaptor.

My first Mac was the Mac Mini I got last year which I use as my HTPC and I have loved it since I got it.

Congrats good move on the 2TB external. After loading Mountain Lion, Windows 7 and all my design programs etc. I have 165 GB of SSD space left. It’s plenty of room but just in case I did install my Windows Steam directory on the external drive so far so good.

Trojita

I am still slightly worried about the 256 GB

But I figure I'll be doing this

Mac side 180 GB
Mac OSX Mountain Lion OS
World of Warcraft (30 GB?)
Diablo III (30GB?)
Steam games that work well on Mac OSX (20 GB?)
On computer pictures, documents and downloads

Bootcamp side 76 GB
Basically nothing but the Windows install. Maybe one or two games that has supreme advantages to being on SSD.

2TB Western Digital Drive
Videos
Steam Games
PCSX2 and Dolphin Games
Mac Backup

Karud

I think about buying an Apple TV 3 and connect it with my TV. Currently, I use the PS3 Media Server to stream .mkv files to my PS3. The Apple TV is equipped with optical line out and HDMI so I could watch .mkv files using the mirroring ability without losing 5.1 sound.

Is it possible to use the TV as an external monitor or is mirroring the only possibility?

I am still slightly worried about the 256 GB

But I figure I'll be doing this

Mac side 180 GB
Mac OSX Mountain Lion OS
World of Warcraft (30 GB?)
Diablo III (30GB?)
Steam games that work well on Mac OSX (20 GB?)
On computer pictures, documents and downloads

Bootcamp side 76 GB
Basically nothing but the Windows install. Maybe one or two games that has supreme advantages to being on SSD.

2TB Western Digital Drive
Videos
Steam Games
PCSX2 and Dolphin Games
Mac Backup

you really want all those games on the bootcamp side.

Trojita

Oh shit, I thought that was a question...... even though there wasn't a question mark.

Similar to: You really want to do that?

Top Bottom