• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Old Lace

I'm in the market for a new laptop and I've been considering a macbook air. But how do you guys deal with the lack of hard drive space?

Izick

I'm using about 10 gigs worth of stuff right now on my current laptop, so that's not a problem for me. What do people use/need all this space for? What about an external HDD? I know it cuts down on mobility, but it's a thought.

gokieks

I'm in the market for a new laptop and I've been considering a macbook air. But how do you guys deal with the lack of hard drive space?

You can use the SD slot as a way to add a semi-permanent amount of storage (I think 128GB is the upper limit for widely available SDXC card at the moment) for data that's not very performance limited (media storage, etc).

I'm confused by how Time Capsule works. So I back up my entire hard drive over NAS, but let's say I have 500GB+ to back up wirelessly. Doesn't that already exceed most people's monthly bandwidth limits? I only get 300GB/month with Comcast.

And there's no way to first do a wired backup and then wireless from then on since the two backups would be incompatible...

I'm confused by how Time Capsule works. So I back up my entire hard drive over NAS, but let's say I have 500GB+ to back up wirelessly. Doesn't that already exceed most people's monthly bandwidth limits? I only get 300GB/month with Comcast.

And there's no way to first to a wired backup and then wireless from then on since the two backups would be incompatible...

that's a good question, and there is no way for a wired backup. When I did my first backup last week I didn't even think of that (had 220 gigs or so, took 8 hours)

Tobor

And there's no way to first to a wired backup and then wireless from then on since the two backups would be incompatible...

Time Capsule works over local wifi, it's not uploading to the internet. Comcast has nothing to do with it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just bought Apple TV for when my Air gets fixed and to use with my iPad 3 and iPhone 5.

Cool so far, any beginner tips or things to know? Think they will ever add Hulu to it? What about NFL? They have every other sport. I'd love NFL.

Tobor

Just bought Apple TV for when my Air gets fixed and to use with my iPad 3 and iPhone 5.

Cool so far, any beginner tips or things to know? Think they will ever add Hulu to it? What about NFL? They have every other sport. I'd love NFL.

Hulu Plus is already available. It's in the menu.

NFL has a deal with Direct TV. As of now, the only device that streams NFL is PS3.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hulu Plus is already available. It's in the menu.

NFL has a deal with Direct TV. As of now, the only device that streams NFL is PS3.

Oh nice, must have missed Hulu somewhere.

How is Hulu Plus? Do they get most of the Cable shows?

I think I'll be canceling most of my cable stuff to go with Hulu and Netflix.

So I'm in the market myself to replace my late-2007 refresh MacBook. It still works to a point, the screen is busted and I notice slowdown in some processor heavy activities over the last year. I also want to upgrade to Mountain Lion as I recently got an iPad 2 and want to take advantage of the iCloud features.

Should I buy a 13" MBA or a 13" MBP? I would be upgrading to 8 gigs of RAM in each. Having to buy it from Apple on the MBA due to the soldered on parts and replacing it myself in the MBP.

Here are some of my pre-reqs.:
-I want this machine to last me a good 4-5 years as my last MB has.
-Would serve as my primary computer with a second monitor connected.
-Commuting to college, but it's driving on the interstate, parking, and walking to class.
-In the next year I'll be starting my internship for my degree which will see me in a high school classroom 5 days a week teaching for a semester.
-Do a lot of writing, both hobby and school.
-PowerPoints galore
-I Skype a lot with other people who have CF as a support network.
-Some light Photoshop work and might be adding in InDesign if the magazine I write for gets off the ground and I actually start getting paid and we expand a bit more.
-Interested in possibly doing BootCamp with Windows 8
-Getting back into some computer gaming (nothing like Witcher 2 or BF3 in terms of gfx), though having just played on my PS3 for the last 2 years has suited me fine as even with the console gaming I'm just not doing that much in general anymore.

I'm swinging more towards the MBP, but I can see why the MBA would be good too. I'm just truly split in my decision and looking for input from others.

LCfiner

Well, the advantages of the 13" MBP over the 13" air is the larger internal storage capacity, faster CPU (if you do a lot of media encoding it could help) and user replaceable RAM. Plus a built in disc burner, I guess? depends if someone would use it... and a built in firewire and ethernet port but I don't consider those big deals

They use the same HD4000 integrated graphics. They both have the same rated battery life.

The air has the faster built in SSD by default, a better screen than the 13" pro (increased resolution), is 2/3 the weight and feels much much lighter and easier to carry around.

Personally, i think the weight and screen are reason enough to get the Air over the Pro. You could get the MBP and replace the HDD with an SSD to bring it up to speed with the Air. But the form factor and screen can't be modified.

I think the screen res is a big enough improvement that you would notice with photoshop or other design apps.

just my 2 cents

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
New iMac, new iMac, no whammy, no whammy, STOP

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Air vs. Pro. No contest. Air wins. Unless you need the quad processor or the optical drive. The Air is gonna be your best bet. Especially if you're carrying it around a lot.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yup, I went from 2009 Macbook Pro to a 2011 Air and I couldn't be happier.
Thing is so fucking fast compared to the pro or my gaming PC. The difference a SSD makes is unbelievable.

Just don't expect to be running massive games on the thing.

Just noticed this on the corner of my Macbook Pro...

what is it?!?!
WQVRW.jpg

VPhys

So I'm in the market myself to replace my late-2007 refresh MacBook. It still works to a point, the screen is busted and I notice slowdown in some processor heavy activities over the last year. I also want to upgrade to Mountain Lion as I recently got an iPad 2 and want to take advantage of the iCloud features.

Should I buy a 13" MBA or a 13" MBP? I would be upgrading to 8 gigs of RAM in each. Having to buy it from Apple on the MBA due to the soldered on parts and replacing it myself in the MBP.

The pro is obsolete at this point, I just can't see one justifiable reason to get it. Air or retina are the only options.

VPhys

Ethernet and disc drive?

External for the disc drive, $30 at newegg. I can't think of anyone that would need a disc drive all the time on the go, at least not enough reason to outweigh the positives of the air or rMBP. If you want dvds on the go rip them to the hard drive. Ethernet, there is an adapter.

FUCK! The bastards who stole my laptop logged it onto wifi. But like an idiot I set it to remote wipe instead of just lock. I could have known exactly where the bastards were. Pretty upset with myself. :/

giga

The 13" Pro will be reborn with a retina display since it can fit a bigger battery and dedicated GPU with the disc drive gone.

dwebo

FUCK! The bastards who stole my laptop logged it onto wifi. But like an idiot I set it to remote wipe instead of just lock. I could have known exactly where the bastards were. Pretty upset with myself. :/

eh, there's no gps in the laptops, so best you could do is hope they log onto a wifi that is on whatever mapping service icloud uses, and even then you'll have a decent radius

eh, there's no gps in the laptops, so best you could do is hope they log onto a wifi that is on whatever mapping service icloud uses, and even then you'll have a decent radius

Yeah but I may have been aggressive on the messages I sent. :/ They have my parents address from my DL.

The pro is obsolete at this point, I just can't see one justifiable reason to get it. Air or retina are the only options.

Not only that, but I can't stress the tapered design of the Air enough. It's fantastic when sitting on a flat surface. The edges don't dig into your wrists and it feels so much nicer typing on it.

The only thing I'm worried about is if it will last 4 years with it being a 1.8 dual core proc. But, has the processor architecture changed so much along with the adjustments to OS X that numbers and cores don't make that much difference anymore and am I still viewing those things through Windows-tinted glasses after having been a Mac user for 4 years?

Cudder

You know, I just came across a shitload of my old CD's that I would have loved to rip onto my new MBP. Probably the only time in owning this machine when I actually will want to use the disc drive.

Izick

I mean, I think I'm making a big jump from my current Toshiba satellite.

Also, I know there's no way to tell this at this point, but I really hope it'll be able to play that new Shadowrun game smoothly. If that game is coming to the iPad and Android devices, then I'm guessing I'll be good.

I can't wait!

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
My Mid 2009 white MacBook (MC240*/A) after 300 "cycles" has developed a bulge, great, lol, and Apple isn't going to replace it I imagine.

So, what are options for getting a new one, I don't really use the MacBook not plugged in these days but don't feel comfortable not having a battery in incase the wire comes out. I also don't have £100+ for a new one from Apple tbh, are the ones off eBay any good at all or worth risking it?

Cudder

Oh God, I just remembered I have Adobe Suite CS4 on discs that I can't install on my MBPr. I'm guessing Adobe doesn't have a download option on their site if you provide a serial or something do they? :\

Oh God, I just remembered I have Adobe Suite CS4 on discs that I can't install on my MBPr. I'm guessing Adobe doesn't have a download option on their site if you provide a serial or something do they? :\

yeah they do.
Download the trials if they're still there, they have a serial prompt.

Also, you might wanna check out their Creative Cloud if you actually use CS for work.
The full CS6 Suite for 50 bucks a month!!!

mj1108

You can get a cheap external DVD drive and hook it up to the MBPr.

snacknuts

we all knew her
This thread has me torn between the 13" MBA with 256GB SSD/8GB RAM and a 15" MBP. I REALLY want the anti-glare option on the MBP, but I like the MBA form factor. Work is footing the bill so price is not a factor (the MBPr is too expensive or I would probably get that). I've been using a 15" MBP for awhile and I don't think I'd like downgrading to 13". I have to order something tomorrow.

Cudder

yeah they do.
Download the trials if they're still there, they have a serial prompt.

Also, you might wanna check out their Creative Cloud if you actually use CS for work.
The full CS6 Suite for 50 bucks a month!!!

I believe the discs I have are CS4. Do they offer CS4 downloads still on their website? If not, do I just download their most recent trial program and give them my serial?

I believe the discs I have are CS4. Do they offer CS4 downloads still on their website? If not, do I just download their most recent trial program and give them my serial?

it has to be CS4.
it doesn't really matter where you download it from as long as you actually have the serials.

Tobor

Oh God, I just remembered I have Adobe Suite CS4 on discs that I can't install on my MBPr. I'm guessing Adobe doesn't have a download option on their site if you provide a serial or something do they? :

It's just like any legacy format. You buy a cheap external drive for the rare occasion you need one, and store it in a drawer the rest of the time.

Eventually it never comes up anymore and you throw it away.

Izick

Fuck, I still can't decide whether or not to pull the trigger and buy it without at least trying it out first. The closest thing near me that I could do that is a best buy that's like 45 minutes away, and I definitely won't be able to test it out until Tuesday at the earliest, and even then, I'm not even sure that they will have them out on display there.

I just want to make sure 13.6" for the screen isn't too small.

Top Bottom