• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

jcutner

I know this thread is for hardware, but I have a really quick software question for you Mac users. My MBP was starting to age so I picked up a new iMac. I want to put my MBP away for awhile and just use the iMac. I have an iPhone and I want to throw songs on it from the iMac without losing the library I put on it from the MBP.

What's a good program that will allow me to put music on my iPhone instead of iTunes?

Is Senuti any good?

I had to use Senuti when my HDD died to pull all my songs from my iPhone so I could inject them back into iTunes without losing them on a first sync

gokieks

I'm still looking for a case for my macbook pro retina that is being delivered. I was looking at the colcasac sleeves as well as the incase terra campus backpacks or the regular incase campus backpack.

I was thinking about possibly getting both the sleeve and the backpack and using them together.

I'm a big fan of booq. High quality and looks nice. Not the cheapest, but not terribly expensive either.

I asked this in the mountain lion thread but is there a way I can pick and choose which applications I want after I put a fresh install?

In terms of what? It will only have system utilities (and iTunes).

Sorry, forgot to mention that I have a Time Machine backup.

I swapped out my old HDD with one I had laying around. I couldn't do a full restore because the harddrive isn't as big as my old one.

Izick

Anybody?

I went to my local Best Buy to see how I'd like the 13", and they're like the only BB in who knows where that doesn't carry MBA/P's.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, forgot to mention that I have a Time Machine backup.

I swapped out my old HDD with one I had laying around. I couldn't do a full restore because the harddrive isn't as big as my old one.
Yes/No. I think migration assistant is all or nothing for applications, you can pick and choose from the app store what you want to install. Unless you have tons of apps you need to restore you may just want to reinstall them individually.

Anybody?

I went to my local Best Buy to see how I'd like the 13", and they're like the only BB in who knows where that doesn't carry MBA/P's.

There hasn't really been anything in the pipeline about a 15inch MacBook Air. Closest you'll get is a Retina MBP.

Another question for you guys:
My battery is pretty close to expiring...has anyone had any experience buying a battery from someone other than Apple? Is it worth the savings?

Xeke

Banned
An iPad would have been an even better purchase.

I've had this guy since 2008!

And the good news is that I brought my pro in to be fixed today fearing the worst and left happy when they told me it would only be 185 as all the essential components are fine.

Izick

Alright, thanks!

I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy the 13" already. I don't think 13" will be that much different than my current 15" laptop. The resolution is higher on the Air, so it'll definitely look crisper as well.

TUSR

Banned

http://www.everymac.com/

looks like it would work. But why would you put 1333 speed in when it supports 1600?

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/index-macbookpro.html

What are the chances we see a 15" Macbook Air next year?

Slim
hahah

There hasn't really been anything in the pipeline about a 15inch MacBook Air. Closest you'll get is a Retina MBP.

Another question for you guys:
My battery is pretty close to expiring...has anyone had any experience buying a battery from someone other than Apple? Is it worth the savings?

Not really worth the trouble or whatever savings you might be getting. I'd stick to their (more expensive) product.

Were they not selling, or what?

They *were* selling, but not enough.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Were they not selling, or what?
They likely didn't sell enough to be worthwhile. Look at the resale value of 17" laptops. They sell like crap.
There just isn't as big a market for huge laptops anymore. They were a thing for a while, but then again so were netbooks. I understand that there were people who wanted them, but they're just too big and too small of a niche anymore. Everyone's going after 13" laptops these days and 15" ones for power. Apple just realized that it was time to let it go.

Just be glad they're still going to update the Mac Pro next year at least one more time. Possibly the iMac. Personally I can't really imagine a world where everyone is using a laptop and doesn't at least have one desktop, but in this house, aside from my Mac mini server/media center, we're all laptops and tablets here. It's gotten to the point that a good powerful laptop (15" MacBook Pro) is just as good as the high-end Mac Pro for most things. Maybe not huge renders of huge data intensive things, but they can handle a lot these days. Apple just sells what they can sell. If it stops selling, it's gone, and life moves on.

Xeke

Banned
Really impressed. Dropped macbook pro off yesterday at like 5pm for repair and got a call at 11am today that it was ready for pickup. This is just another reason I go with apple. Any other company and I'd have to mail the thing out and wait weeks.

Really impressed. Dropped macbook pro off yesterday at like 5pm for repair and got a call at 11am today that it was ready for pickup. This is just another reason I go with apple. Any other company and I'd have to mail the thing out and wait weeks.
Yup the Genius commercials may be obnoxious but that service is one of the best reasons to go Mac.

Would it be possible to make a less expensive Mac mini with a core i5 ULV processor? The thought occurred to me while thinking about the iPad mini.

Perhaps even shrink them down and offer core i5 and i7 ULV models.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Anyone know the cheapest place to buy Windows 7 to install through bootcamp?

I had a coworker that was going to give me a copy a long time ago for my Mac Mini, but then he kind of flaked, and now he doesn't have his technet subscription.

I wonder if it might be better to just wait till Windows 8 or something.

Xeke

Banned
I was at best buy when I thought my computer may be nothing more than an expensive paper weight and I was really depressed looking at my options. Nothing compared. So glad to have this computer back! :)

njean777

That wouldn't be at all what Steve Jobs would do. Jobs hated holding on to the past, and believed in Apple having a very streamlined small product offering to give each focus.

Jobs was a firm believer in dumping products and technology that was on the way out the door, which desktop computers clearly fall into. They are a fading product line without much of a long term future. Jobs ushered in the post-PC era remember, he was on the one to lead the charge of mobile OS's like iOS being the future. If anyone would have no sympathy towards shrinking down the Mac hardware aspect of their product line it would be Steve Jobs.

OSX isn't going anywhere (especially since notebooks are a very healthy market still), but it will never be the focus of Apple again. And that was something that was due to Steve Jobs. He is the father of the phrase "Post-PC" for a reason.

Which is odd, working at Best Buy I sell way more Laptops then ipads. Then again, I sell a lot of ipads also. Desktops will become a niche market, but gamers/power users will always need desktops if the current trend in graphics keeps up. OSX will still be important for their laptop line I believe.

bionic77

That's an unfair appropriation of that quote. From certain perspectives, it can be seen that any desktop is not a great product because it is the past. They've been trending down for a long time.

Apple could also keep making great iPods just for the sake of making great products, but that product's time is winding down, so they don't bother too much with them.
Granted I think with the increasing power of notebooks I think it is fair to say that most consumers don't need the added screen size and power or a desktop, but there are still professionals and even regular users who are going to continue to use and need desktops for a very long time. It is going to be a shrinking market for sure, but I can't see how it will ever be replaced by laptops.

The iPod analogy doesn't really work because the only thing the classic has over the touch is in storage space (I guess you could argue sound but I don't know if anyone really cares about that on their mp3 player other than a very, very small group of people who probably were never into iPods to begin with). Once solid state prices get down to the point where that is no longer a factor it makes sense to get rid of the classic and just make the iPod touch. Ditching the iMac and Mac Pro is basically telling prosumers to either go to Windows or adapt to the existing product line. Apple can surely afford to treat its loyal customers better than that.

So i will be getting my first mac this week (Air 13", can't wait), and thus i've been preparing for the switch.

Now i'm trying to figure out my storage setup and backups. I'm probably going to buy a single-bay network drive for general device-independent storage, and then an equally sized USB drive to back up the network drive to.

I'd like to use time machine to back up the Macbook to the network drive, but it seems like network drives are not officially supported (except Apple's time capsule obviously). Is this accurate or am i missing something?

I've seen hacks to make it work, but i'd rather not take any risks when it comes to backups.

The next step would be to start looking into other backup apps that will just sync a bunch of folders from the Macbook to the NAS. I guess it won't be as nice as time machine, but it'll get the job done?

Korosenai

Hello everyone.

I purchased a mac about 2 and a half weeks ago, and just noticed this spot on it about a week ago.

I have no idea what it is, and no matter how hard I try to scrub it off, it won't dissapear.

Does anyone know what this is or what caused it?

PSQCu.jpg

Arcteryx

Probably your palm? Looks like the discoloration usually caused from prolonged usage (sweat, etc).

Yea the MBPs are known for that, although I thought the newer models were supposed to be slightly better at resisting it. It all depends on your sweat, but mine is pretty mad on one side of the laptop.

dock

Hovering over the Macbook Air 13".
It's annoying that they don't keep the 8GB one in stock at the Apple Store.

Aiming to have this dual boot with boot camp. I wonder what game performance I can realistically expect on it.

Hello everyone.

I purchased a mac about 2 and a half weeks ago, and just noticed this spot on it about a week ago.

I have no idea what it is, and no matter how hard I try to scrub it off, it won't dissapear.

Does anyone know what this is or what caused it?

Way back when it happened to me, the Apple rep told me the following:

"Use a different soap"

I almost snapped.

Question for GAF.. I am thinking about picking up a 2012 13" Macbook Air but can't decide between the i5 and the i7. The only thing holding me back is what I have read on other message boards about the i7 processors running hot in the MBA's, causing the laptop to become hot and making the fans run a lot. I am a developer so having some extra CPU for things like compiling large projects is a nice to have, plus the extra CPU for some light gaming would be nice. However, if it causes the fan to run a lot it isn't worth it to me.

Does anyone have a 13" 2012 Macbook Air with the i7? If so, what is your experience with the temp/fan?

Thanks

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just got one actually. It does get warm at least. About what my i5 used to if not cooler. Not unbearable in the least. I still have to put something under it though.

I just got one actually. It does get warm at least. About what my i5 used to if not cooler. Not unbearable in the least. I still have to put something under it though.

Thanks for your response. Even though it is just warm, does the fan run a lot for you and is it loud? Have you done anything CPU intensive? What about gaming?

Top Bottom