• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Im looking into getting a 4th Gen 2TB Time Capsule to replace my airport express and as back up, ive been reading a lot of comments about the earlier gen failing after 12-18 months, does anyone have a 4th gen and how has it been?

njean777

The entire Mac lineup will eventually be Retina. It's only a matter of time. It will take a year, maybe two to complete the transition, and that's only because of production restraints.

But what would be the point of making the 13in pro then? Unless of course they add a discrete gpu, which I think they could do, but the price may rise.

Seriously though, a retina display 27" iMac is around about 4K screen, and thats a res that has lower real estate than the current model. At current-ish prices, surely there is zero chance of that happening anytime soon? I definitely want an iMac next, and a "retina" one would be super rad, but unless tech prices for the panels change quickly it will be mega bucks.

AlexMogil

Im looking into getting a 4th Gen 2TB Time Capsule to replace my airport express and as back up, ive been reading a lot of comments about the earlier gen failing after 12-18 months, does anyone have a 4th gen and how has it been?

I think the issue with dying was solved in the newer gens. Anecdotally, mine has been fine for a year with no issues. Although I don't like the router much.

whitehawk

Banned
Why not just get a regular hard drive? Much cheaper and you can still use it for Time Machine. That's what I did, bought a 1TB hard drive for $110 that I'm using for time machine.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
But what would be the point of making the 13in pro then? Unless of course they add a discrete gpu, which I think they could do, but the price may rise.
The difference between the OD-less Pro and Air will be quad-core vs. dual-core and discreet graphics vs. integrated only. (At least at first) Until the day they can put quad-core and discreet graphics and keep the battery life up in an Air factor, the Pro will always have that benefit. In time I can see the lines merge. But not for years. And not until an Air can support the same processing and graphics power while retaining battery life.

So there'll be a market for both for a long time. Retina will come to the Air sooner, but the rest will make it eventually until the point the two machines are too similar to both exist.

The difference between the OD-less Pro and Air will be quad-core vs. dual-core and discreet graphics vs. integrated only. (At least at first) Until the day they can put quad-core and discreet graphics and keep the battery life up in an Air factor, the Pro will always have that benefit. In time I can see the lines merge. But not for years. And not until an Air can support the same processing and graphics power while retaining battery life.

So there'll be a market for both for a long time. Retina will come to the Air sooner, but the rest will make it eventually until the point the two machines are too similar to both exist.

Youre kinda contradicting yourself I think. If they can't get enough graphics / battery power into the Air then how will they get Retina before the 13" Pro's do with their ability to use a dedicated card and more internal room? Will the next Intel refresh be enough of an onboard jump?

TUSR

Banned
Youre kinda contradicting yourself I think. If they can't get enough graphics / battery power into the Air then how will they get Retina before the 13" Pro's do with their ability to use a dedicated card and more internal room? Will the next Intel refresh be enough of an onboard jump?

Retina won't be seen in the Air lineup until Haswell is out next year at the very very earliest.

noah111

Still Alive
Can someone give me a rundown on the difference between an i5 2.4GHz MBP vs an i7 2.2GHz MBP? Apart from that they're the exact same (expect one is brand new) but what's the difference usage-wise?

Would the 2.2 i7 be significantly better than an 2.4 i5 or is the difference minimal?

gokieks

Can someone give me a rundown on the difference between an i5 2.4GHz MBP vs an i7 2.2GHz MBP? Apart from that they're the exact same (expect one is brand new) but what's the difference usage-wise?

Would the 2.2 i7 be significantly better than an 2.4 i5 or is the difference minimal?

It depends on the specific models of MBP, as there have been several generations of different Core i5/i7 processors, but generally speaking, the i7 line is quad-core, whereas the i5 line is dual-core. A slightly lower clocked quad-core will outperform a higher clocked dual-core in heavily multi-threaded applications (think things like photo/video editing, rendering, etc), but for more basic usage (web browsing, office applications, etc) there won't be very much difference.

Azzurri

Gold Member
I asked this before, but I forgot to check if anyone answered it.

Is it possible to have dual 27" LED monitors hooked up to my PC via the converter? I have one 27" would like another one.

Zapages

quick question guys...

Is there a way in Macs to view folders and go between folders like if it was a webpage.

Basically, when I use windows PC, I like to use alt back or forward arrow to scroll through the folders. Is that possible on Macs (ML)?

Thanks in advance. :)

Shiryu

Neo Member
quick question guys...

Is there a way in Macs to view folders and go between folders like if it was a webpage.

Basically, when I use windows PC, I like to use alt back or forward arrow to scroll through the folders. Is that possible on Macs (ML)?

Not sure, but if it is what I think you want to do:

CMD+Up/Down (goes up/into a folder, CMD+Down is pretty much "open".

Gowans

Man I swapped from last years 13" MBP to a Retina this week.

I love it, best computer I've ever used. I need the power and screen space for work (running it on smallest text size possible).

But it's power has really surprised me, what a leap. I'm a convert for SSD drives now, so snappy.

Also lessons learn't about posting on the gaming side about how impressed I am with it for Gaming as a nice bonus: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=486355

Man I swapped from last years 13" MBP to a Retina this week.

I love it, best computer I've ever used. I need the power and screen space for work (running it on smallest text size possible).

But it's power has really surprised me, what a leap. I'm a convert for SSD drives now, so snappy.

Also lessons learn't about posting on the gaming side about how impressed I am with it for Gaming as a nice bonus: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=486355

I've owned a retina MacBook since June and I love it too. It holds up pretty well playing games, especially if you've installed a Windows 7 partition. Most times around here it's best to not mention Apple and gaming in the same sentence though. Lol

Gowans

I've owned a retina MacBook since June and I love it too. It holds up pretty well playing games, especially if you've installed a Windows 7 partition. Most times around here it's best to not mention Apple and gaming in the same sentence though. Lol
Yeah so happy with it, love working on it.

Yeah read that thread, lessons learn't.

JackEtc

I went into the Apple store a few weeks ago (July 28) with my Retina MacBook Pro to complain about the burn in, and they ordered me a replacement display. I was hoping for a complete system replacement, as that's all I was seeing people get online, never saw anyone post that they had their display replaced.

They said it'd be in in a few days, and then take about 4 days to fix. I dropped it off last Friday, and the status was updated on August 4th to Step 2, "Repair in Progress".

The status still hasn't changed to Step 3, "Product pickup pending", and it's been a week. Granted, they could have called my home phone and said I could pick it up (I don't know since I'm on vacation), but I would think that they would have also updated the online status page to "Product pickup pending".

I wonder if something's up.... =\

SA-X

quick question guys...

Not sure what the hotkeys are for doing it with a keyboard, but I have a Logitech mouse with back/forward buttons and they work when scrolling through folders in finder (and pretty much every other back/forward function in the OS).

Chris R

13" rMBP geekbench scores look good, just wonder what kind of GPU would be in there. If they could get the 1GB 650 and keep the price under 1700 it would be a killer machine.

TUSR

Banned
13" rMBP geekbench scores look good, just wonder what kind of GPU would be in there. If they could get the 1GB 650 and keep the price under 1700 it would be a killer machine.

13" Retina?

I went into the Apple store a few weeks ago (July 28) with my Retina MacBook Pro to complain about the burn in, and they ordered me a replacement display. I was hoping for a complete system replacement, as that's all I was seeing people get online, never saw anyone post that they had their display replaced.

They said it'd be in in a few days, and then take about 4 days to fix. I dropped it off last Friday, and the status was updated on August 4th to Step 2, "Repair in Progress".

The status still hasn't changed to Step 3, "Product pickup pending", and it's been a week. Granted, they could have called my home phone and said I could pick it up (I don't know since I'm on vacation), but I would think that they would have also updated the online status page to "Product pickup pending".

I wonder if something's up.... =\

Yeah, the display is incredibly fucking hard to fix.

asdad123

No way they put in a 650 in a 13 inch rMBP when they have it in the 15".

I would expect a 630m or 640m in the 13"

JackEtc

Yeah, the display is incredibly fucking hard to fix.

I would imagine. The part that has me a little worried is that they said it'd be 4 days to replace it, but now it's been an entire week, and it's still not ready. I guess as long as I have it back by the time I leave for college I'll be okay...

Hopefully the new display doesn't have any ghosting problems, or any other issues...I really don't want to have to deal with this again.

Well they stole my new air when I was robbed last night. Didn't have a time machine backup but did have iCloud. I didn't lose much.

If he ever happens to bypass my password I should get an email. If the computer is wiped does it eliminate the ability of iCloud?

Well they stole my new air when I was robbed last night. Didn't have a time machine backup but did have iCloud. I didn't lose much.

If he ever happens to bypass my password I should get an email. If the computer is wiped does it eliminate the ability of iCloud?

iCloud requires an user/pass login so when you wipe that stuff should be gone as well AFAIK. Your stuff on the cloud is still there, just not on the wiped computer anymore.

Wiping would also remove Find My Mac tracking if you had that on it though too.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
No way they put in a 650 in a 13 inch rMBP when they have it in the 15".

I would expect a 630m or 640m in the 13"
The 13 inch getting any sort of discreet GPU at all is a step up :p

That will have to be what differentiates the 13 rMBP from the 13 inch air (beyond the screen) since the DVD drive was the last thing it had the Air didn't.

TUSR

Banned
The 13 inch getting any sort of discreet GPU at all is a step up :p

That will have to be what differentiates the 13 rMBP from the 13 inch air (beyond the screen) since the DVD drive was the last thing it had the Air didn't.

I find it weird that they are considering a 13" Retina Pro with the current Intel HD4000's.

It simply cannot run the retina resolution without hiccups.

HASWELL + HD5000 is a must before they can comfortably run the UI with integrated graphics.

http://uk.hardware.info/news/29388/intel-haswell-gpu-chip-3x-faster-than-ivy-bridge-gpu

Sources of Fudzilla claim that Intel's upcoming Haswell processor will have an integrated GPU that is three times as fast as the current HD 4000 GPU, present in the Ivy Bridge chips. Confidential roadmaps have shown a comparison from which this conclusion was drawn. The fourth generation of the Core architecture and Intel's latest tick promises exceptionally fast 3D performance. Converting video material will allegedly also be twice to three times as fast.

If the rumours are true, Intel's Haswell could potentially outshine Nvidia's and AMD's entry-level graphics cards. In the mobile segment, the Haswell chip could also make a discrete graphics card unncessary for mainstream and entry-level notebooks.

TUSR

Banned
Also here:

cpalt.png

Sorry for the awful quality, but here is the prices using the iTunes Connect VIP Store. $1783 CAD for the base Retina.

In less then 2 years I went from having no Apple products (except the iPod but that doesn't count), to having an iPhone, iPad, Macbook Pro, Apple TV, Time Capsule. Almost embarrassed how much Apple has me by the balls now

Izick

Okay, so I got my check cashed yesterday, any last minute advice on wether I should go Macbook Air 2011 or 2012? Before you say "what's the big deal, it's only about 300$ more," money is pretty tight right now, and I've had to set aside money for quite a while now so I can get a top-tier laptop.

Anyway, I appreciate any last minute input.

Okay, so I got my check cashed yesterday, any last minute advice on wether I should go Macbook Air 2011 or 2012? Before you say "what's the big deal, it's only about 300$ more," money is pretty tight right now, and I've had to set aside money for quite a while now so I can get a top-tier laptop.

if I'm not mistaken the 2012 Air's are quite a nice bump in power over the 2011, so I'd go with the 2012, but if $300 is a big deal to you then get the 2011

Izick

What do you plan on mainly doing with air?
Browsing the web, listening to music with Spotify/itunes, some school stuff (writing papers and junk) and that's about it. I said earlier it would be cool to play TF 2, Diablo III, or Starcraft II, but playing games is nowhere near a "must-have" thing for me.

Browsing the web, listening to music with Spotify/itunes, some school stuff (writing papers and junk) and that's about it. I said earlier it would be cool to play TF 2, Diablo III, or Starcraft II, but playing games is nowhere near a "must-have" thing for me.

2011 Airs are more then capable in giving you a good experience in those areas, games I don't know though

Izick

2011 Airs are more then capable in giving you a good experience in those areas, games I don't know though

Cool. I'm pretty excited actually. I've never owned an Apple laptop before, but I've messed around with a lot of them. When I saw that I could get a refurbed Macbook Air from Apple for about 930$, I decided that's what I wanted.

Has anyone here bought refurbed stuff from Apple before?

So now I'm considering an Apple TV to go along with my new Air. Is it worth it? For Airplay mirroring and the like?

Also is apple care worth it? I can get it at a student discount. I'd like to have this computer last for a long while, longer than the 2 years I got out of every windows laptop.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Cool. I'm pretty excited actually. I've never owned an Apple laptop before, but I've messed around with a lot of them. When I saw that I could get a refurbed Macbook Air from Apple for about 930$, I decided that's what I wanted.

Has anyone here bought refurbed stuff from Apple before?

Apple refurbeds are basically new machines in a cardboard box. That's it. I buy refurbed Apple products all the time.

Izick

Apple refurbeds are basically new machines in a cardboard box. That's it. I buy refurbed Apple products all the time.

Cool. Does it come with all the standard stuff that comes with a new machine. I'm guessing Apple doesn't nickel-and-dime for chargers and stuff on these, right?

So now I'm considering an Apple TV to go along with my new Air. Is it worth it? For Airplay mirroring and the like?

Also is apple care worth it? I can get it at a student discount. I'd like to have this computer last for a long while, longer than the 2 years I got out of every windows laptop.

I got an Apple TV and I really like it, just love how all my apple stuff is connected to it (iphone, ipad, macbook), my Macbook pro sadly just missed the airplay cut off so I can't comment on that but airplay via my ipad works like a charm.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Alright. New Macbook Air has an issue. The right top corner to middle of the trackpad is harder to depress, and feels "squishy." It squeaks a bit too when pushing. The left side in the same spot clicks and feels fine...

Apple Store I guess?

mj1108

As others have said, the 2011 model will be just fine for you. You're going to LOVE it. I'm typing this post on mine right now. It's by far the best computer I've ever owned.

Izick

As others have said, the 2011 model will be just fine for you. You're going to LOVE it. I'm typing this post on mine right now. It's by far the best computer I've ever owned.

I know, I can't wait! I've been saving up for it, stashing cash away all Summer, so it's going to be great to finally get it!

Top Bottom