• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Newline

Apple devices seem to do this often. If I recall there was huge issue with the Retina iPad and yellowing in the screen. It's weird, because Samsung makes kickass displays.

Slightly OT, I totally forgot the iMac existed until I looked in this thread. Same goes for the Mac Pro.

I checked and my panel is LG :p Think I should go try and get it changed?

TUSR

Banned
Apple devices seem to do this often. If I recall there was huge issue with the Retina iPad and yellowing in the screen. It's weird, because Samsung makes kickass displays.

Slightly OT, I totally forgot the iMac existed until I looked in this thread. Same goes for the Mac Pro.

This is a known and persistent problem, take it back and show them the discolouration and get a replacement.

Newline

This is a known and persistent problem, take it back and show them the discolouration and get a replacement.

Good to know this, one of the reasons I got a mac was due to applecare. I will hold off going back to the store for a week to see if it persists in which time I will just treat it with extra care. :)

TUSR

Banned
Is Paragon NTFS the go-to solution for writing to NTFS drives on a mac?

I just installed the free trial and it seems to work just fine, but i read some horror reviews and now i'm not sure if i should trust it.

Buy a seagate drive and you get free software for writing to ntsf.

Good to know this, one of the reasons I got a mac was due to applecare. I will hold off going back to the store for a week to see if it persists in which time I will just treat it with extra care. :)

I haven't heard too much about them fixing themselves unfortunately :(

Izick

So basically, at this point I can pay 100$ more for the newest version of the Air. Worth it? Also, I read some things about Ivy Bridge getting hotter than Sandy Bridge, anyone know what the scoop is on that and what it would mean when deciding to pick one of these over another?

cnizzle06

Banned
Contemplating going out right now and buying a macbook air 13" base model at best buy since I can get it reduced by $160.

Should I bite the bullet?

Izick

Contemplating going out right now and buying a macbook air 13" base model at best buy since I can get it reduced by $160.

Should I bite the bullet?

How can you get it reduced by that much? I can get 100$ off since I'm a student, but that's it as far as I know.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I would definitely buy one at Best Buy if I could given that I am impatient when it comes to shipping, and the additional discounts, but I can't get one with upgraded RAM. I'm planning on ordering a base model w/ 8 GB of RAM next week. Is the RAM worth the extra cost?

Izick

That and they have them reduced by 60 bucks at the moment.

So what would you be getting it for overall, 1,099$?

I would definitely buy one at Best Buy if I could given that I am impatient when it comes to shipping, and the additional discounts, but I can't get one with upgraded RAM. I'm planning on ordering a base model w/ 8 GB of RAM next week. Is the RAM worth the extra cost?

Guessing it depends on what you're doing with it. I've heard from some reviews that it's way overpriced though for the upgrade. I don't know how true that is, but that's what I've heard.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
So what would you be getting it for overall, 1,099$?

Guessing it depends on what you're doing with it. I've heard from some reviews that it's way overpriced though for the upgrade. I don't know how true that is, but that's what I've heard.
With the $100 coupon, it'd be $1039. It's $1239 to buy the model with 8GB of RAM through the Apple store.

I don't think I'll be doing anything terribly intensive on it. It's going to be my school laptop for the next 3 years or so. I'll be running Office on it the most, I'd imagine. I just want to future proof since I'm planning on it being my machine for years.

Izick

With the $100 coupon, it'd be $1039. It's $1239 to buy the model with 8GB of RAM through the Apple store.

I don't think I'll be doing anything terribly intensive on it. It's going to be my school laptop for the next 3 years or so. I'll be running Office on it the most, I'd imagine. I just want to future proof since I'm planning on it being my machine for years.

The coupon is for Best Buy only though. Also if it's 1239, wouldn't the coupon only bump it down to 1139$?

With tax, yeah, approximately that.
Okay, I see now.

VPhys

If you add the retina display together with a thunderbolt display hooked up to it you're almost at the resolution that iMac would need to push. (which is a considerably faster machine than any MBP)

I just think no one can afford a display that nice.

Why would an iMac be faster than a mbp, besides the gpu?

Izick

Am I wrong? I thought the coupon was for BB, and even the total price would be around 1139$ or so.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I finally got around to installing the ML update and now some of the text on some websites are multicolor. Hard to describe but it looks like the display driver is messed up.

Known issue?

cnizzle06

Banned
Just came back from best buy. Now I'm completely undecided. I like the appearance of the MacBook pro more than the air. I just don't know...

Help?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well, sorta. I mean, the added size also means a built in drive.
And honestly, how often do you think you will use that drive? Is it enough to justify lugging an extra 1.5 pounds around all the time when you can just buy a cheap DVD drive for those few times you will need it?

The Air's are awesome and small and light and so light that you will never want to go back to a heavy laptop again, because yes, that extra pound and a half is just enough to feel like a brick when you compare the two after having used an Air for a while.

cnizzle06

Banned
And honestly, how often do you think you will use that drive? Is it enough to justify lugging an extra 1.5 pounds around all the time when you can just buy a cheap DVD drive for those few times you will need it?

The Air's are awesome and small and light and so light that you will never want to go back to a heavy laptop again, because yes, that extra pound and a half is just enough to feel like a brick when you compare the two after having used an Air for a while.

Coupled with the larger hard drive and the potential to upgrade, I'm still undecided. They both seem to be great laptops.

njean777

Had an air for a year before the 15in retina came out. That extra pound is not affecting me any.

Chuckl3s

For those who have the rMBP, what is your experience like so far? Is it worth the upgrade from the regular pros? I might wait for the 13inch in October to get one.

For those who have the rMBP, what is your experience like so far? Is it worth the upgrade from the regular pros? I might wait for the 13inch in October to get one.
How old is your regular Pro? If it's still pretty new, like from '10 or '11 I would wait until next year when the Haswell chipset is going to be used in it. I bought one now to replace my '06 C2D MBP that was seriously long in the tooth but I would have waited if I had a more recent model.

The choppiness is a real thing when scrolling, especially in the email app among other apps. It's funny how my retina iPad with a similar resolution has very little problem with scrolling but this computer with both an Intel HD4000 Integrated GPU and a Nvidia 650M Kepler discrete GPU can chug doing the same shit. I have a feeling that stuff will be ironed out next year when the rMBP moves from Ivy Bridge to Haswell.

TUSR

Banned
Damn, i just bought a WD drive.

Any other pointers for using NTFS on a Mac?

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/26288/ntfs-for-mac-os-x

Are you made of tissue paper?

Chuckl3s

How old is your regular Pro? If it's still pretty new, like from '10 or '11 I would wait until next year when the Haswell chipset is going to be used in it. I bought one now to replace my '06 C2D MBP that was seriously long in the tooth but I would have waited if I had a more recent model.

I have a late 2010 C2D MBP. I love it to death and still works beautifully. But damn those retinas. Thanks for the info. I might wait and see what Apple does. My MBP is currently a 15inch but would like a 13inch for what I do. I got really excited when I heard about them making a 13inch rMBP.

Edit: Just saw that you added.

The choppiness is a real thing when scrolling, especially in the email app among other apps. It's funny how my retina iPad with a similar resolution has very little problem with scrolling but this computer with both an Intel HD4000 Integrated GPU and a Nvidia 650M Kepler discrete GPU can chug doing the same shit. I have a feeling that stuff will be ironed out next year when the rMBP moves from Ivy Bridge to Haswell.

Does the choppiness happen only when scrolling? Do you notice anything when playing videos? Hopefully they will iron it out on the next releases.

While mildly funny, he has a good point. Sure, on any given moment that's not an insurmountable amount of weight, but when you've got it in a bag hanging off your shoulder every day the extra weight adds up. I would much rather just use an external these days; even my desktop uses a disc drive maybe once a month.

Chuckl3s

Since this thread is for ALL things Mac, I recently came into possession of a G4 iMac. What should I do with it?

Turn an Old G4 iMac into an iPad Stand

or

800px-Repurposed_Imac.JPG

What if you lowered the native resolution to sub 1080p? so there would be no scalling. it would just be normal 1920x1080?

i am interested in rMBP for reduced weight, its graphics and thinner size. i perfectly understand that scrolling with 4x the number of pixels is much more.

has anyone played any gaames with the new drivers that was released yesterday? 306 from nvidia. some people claim massive improvements, other claims no difference.. i wonder how they fair in the rMBP. Would love to see videos of games like bf3 and guild wars 2!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Am I wrong? I thought the coupon was for BB, and even the total price would be around 1139$ or so.
So the coupon for Best Buy is for $100 off. They currently have the base Air for $1139, so the $100 would come off of that.

On Apple.com the student price for the base model is $1149. It's an additional $90 to bump to 8 GB of RAM, so the cost for that would be $1,239.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh come on. You really don't realize how heavy a Pro really is until you carry an Air around all the time. The difference in weight is relatively huge when you need to carry something every day. Try to go back to carrying a Pro again and you have to completely readjust to carrying that extra weight.

Don't think I'm the only one saying this.

And yes, I am made of tissue paper. I'll thank you not to make fun of my disability.

Top Bottom