• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

So I'm thinking of upgrading my MacBook Pro from Leopard to Snow Leopard once I get back to college at the end of this month, and I'm wondering a few things:
• Will all the applications I currently have still run with it? Are there any cases of stuff that was compatible with Leopard not being compatible with Snow Leopard?
• How much better does it make graphics of games? Will the changes happen automatically, or will I need to change them myself?
• Is it worth the $30 it's normally sold for, or should I try to find it cheaper?
• I don't have a Time Machine or anything else to back up all my stuff with beforehand. Is this something I should worry about?
• Is there anything else I should know about upgrading to Snow Leopard?

Jasoco

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
Jasoco.. what bowtie theme is that?

also, how exactly did you get the dock to look like that?
It's a custom Bowlet, not a stock one. I made it myself and it relies on images being in a specific place.
The black bar is an empty GeekTool panel.
The Dock was a simple resource replacement and 2D setting.

You can change the Dock to 2D with one of many utilities. I recommend "Secrets". The images can be modified in PhotoShop if you know what you are doing. (Copy the image resources somewhere, edit them, then move them back in place with Admin privileges. Dock is located in /System/Library/Coreservices/)

The Bowlet is not available, but I can make the code available if someone wants to make one of their own.

GeekTool is self-explanatory.

Blackhead

Redarse
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Get hyped:

d6j.png

HYPED

Will consequently be disappointed :|

Is there a Safari (5) thread or may I ask questions here? Is anyone using tree style tabs with Safari 5? I've only found one hack and it doesn't look appealing :/

Chris R

rhfb said:
What is the best CSS/JavaScript/JScript editor available? I'm using Coda now and it seems decent (haven't really got it down pat yet). Just wondering if there is anything better out there before I buy Coda.
Anyone??? There has to be someone out there who knows :(

Burger

Help!

I upgraded my work computer to a new Quad Core iMac, and used migration assistant to move all my stuff over from a time machine backup.

Everything is absolutely fine, but my iPhone won't show up in iTunes. At all. I've tried restarting both iMac/iPhone, different USB ports, but under profiler it shows up under the USB hub, just like it should...

Any suggestions ?

169m5xl.jpg

Patriots7

Just got my MBP. It's awesome :D

That said, I'm so used to Windows that I'm constantly being retarded and it's taking a while to really learn OSX. This thread is massively helpful though.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to automatically fix ID tags for my iTunes library? I've heard good things about Tune Up...

moowear

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Yes, the setting is in the preferences.

Thanks! that did the trick.

anyone know which program can batch edit photos in iphoto? I've been using picasa but am trying to get use to iphoto since it has smoother intergration w aperture.

Mailenstein said:
Hmm, I guess my battery is about to die...

Some Specs:
MacBook Pro 15" Late 2008 model (15 months old)
full charge capacity (in mAh): 2969
cycle count: 479

The problem:
When I'm running on battery, my MacBook Pro suddenly turns off at 8-10% batterystatus. It doesn't save any state to the RAM, so when I push the power button the machine does a clean start. iStat is telling me that my battery health is around 65%, but to me it feels more like 20%, since the specs aren't that solid anymore. Guess ~500 cycles and especially~3000mAh isn't that good anymore, compared to when it was new. I did a SMC and PRAM reset yesterday, but it was good for nothing.

So I already made an appointment at the genius bar for next weeks monday, but still, I wonder if anyone in here ever experienced this and if I'm right assuming that the battery is the reason for the failure happening or different things like the logic board.

Thanks!
So I went to the apple store today because of my appointment with one of their genius'.
He told me after checking the battery that it's behavior at 73% health is pretty strange and their tech tool said it's not because of heavy use - it's a hardware defect.
Lucky me has a ACPP until May 2011, so I could save 129€ and got it replaced for free.

That's my new battery status(sry for the german description):
jg7itx.png

I'm pretty happy now that I got it replaced for free and the fact that it has a bigger capacity than usual :lol. So if somebody ever encounters a similar problem, visit your Apple store and try to get it fixed while your device is still under warranty - it's worth the visit :).

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I've got a question about iTunes. I arranged a playlist for running on my macbook and put it on my ipod afterwards. But now my ipod (2nd gen nano 8gb) messes up my custom arrangement and orders them in a (seemingly) random fashion. When I connect the ipod to my mac and look up the (ipod) playlist in itunes, it display the correct order of songs. It's just not how it's playing them. How to fix this?

What's the hardware diagnostic tool called that genius folks at the apple store use? It's not Tech Tool Deluxe nor Apple Hardware Test. Would appreciate if somebody could hint me to it, thanks!

Drahcir

Hey guys. A co-worker just informed me that Macs cannot write on NTFS hard drives, but they can read them on 10.6. I bought my first Macbook three months ago, and the first thing I did was plug in my WD external hard drive that I formerly used with my PC laptop running Vista. I'm pretty sure my external hard drive is NTFS formatted because I have yet to format it since I started using it. However, I've been editing, renaming, saving files on my external hard drive from my Macbook for three months and have not noticed any restrictions.

I googled and found that 10.6 has the ability to write to NTFS, but that it needs to be enabled first. I never enabled anything of the sort yet I have been able to read and write just fine. I guess I'm just a little concerned. Is it fine that I haven't come across any restrictions and that all the files I ever wrote onto my external hard drive from my Macbook are safe? Could my files be corrupted if I were to plug my external hard drive back to a PC?

rezuth

Drahcir said:
Hey guys. A co-worker just informed me that Macs cannot write on NTFS hard drives, but they can read them on 10.6. I bought my first Macbook three months ago, and the first thing I did was plug in my WD external hard drive that I formerly used with my PC laptop running Vista. I'm pretty sure my external hard drive is NTFS formatted because I have yet to format it since I started using it. However, I've been editing, renaming, saving files on my external hard drive from my Macbook for three months and have not noticed any restrictions.

I googled and found that 10.6 has the ability to write to NTFS, but that it needs to be enabled first. I never enabled anything of the sort yet I have been able to read and write just fine. I guess I'm just a little concerned. Is it fine that I haven't come across any restrictions and that all the files I ever wrote onto my external hard drive from my Macbook are safe? Could my files be corrupted if I were to plug my external hard drive back to a PC?
Are you sure its not Fat32?

Krelian

Drahcir said:

I suspect it's not an NTFS but a FAT32 drive. You can check the file system in Disk Utility. There are other ways to enable read/write operations on NTFS drives as well, I'm using NTFS-3g myself. Haven't had any problems with it yet.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Please please please address the SCII graphical issues...

*downloads*

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Mecha_Infantry said:
My mac is struggling to wake up from sleeping..I have to turn it completely off then back on

..the fuck?
are you using a Western Digital portable drive? i've had an issue where my MBP refused to wake up from sleep because of some extension that the drive installed to enable some odd security feature. removing it sorted the sleep/wake problem.

Ulairi said:
I finally moved my dock to the right side of the screen. It really shows to me what a horrible interface the dock is when camped at the bottom of the screen. I didn't realize how much screen real estate is taken up with that thing.

I keep my icons small and leave my dock on the bottom, but pinned to the right side of the screen. Best of both worlds.

Keylime

SCII performance is a little better, but still nowhere near where it should be.

Bah. Next patch perhaps...

scorcho said:
are you using a Western Digital portable drive? i've had an issue where my MBP refused to wake up from sleep because of some extension that the drive installed to enable some odd security feature. removing it sorted the sleep/wake problem.

I do yeah

Remove the HDD or remove the extension?

scorcho

Mecha_Infantry said:
I do yeah

Remove the HDD or remove the extension?
extension - look around aboth in S/E and in the Frameworks folder. i forgot what is named, though.

MCX

Banned
Mailenstein said:
What's the hardware diagnostic tool called that genius folks at the apple store use? It's not Tech Tool Deluxe nor Apple Hardware Test. Would appreciate if somebody could hint me to it, thanks!
Behavior Scan

scorcho said:
extension - look around aboth in S/E and in the Frameworks folder. i forgot what is named, though.

Can't find it so far, I think you're talking about WD Smartware from what I've figured out.

Fuck this shit, I'm getting a damn Time Capsule

edit* What's S/E?

RubxQub said:
SCII performance is a little better, but still nowhere near where it should be.

Bah. Next patch perhaps...

I personally didn't see an issue with how the game ran. I thought getting 30 FPS on Medium on my Macbook Pro was reasonable... Then, I installed Windows 7 with Bootcamp, and installed the game under that just to compare. I was shocked when I could get a higher frame rate running the game on High under Windows. That's just messed up.

Also, I now believe that the only way to game on a Mac is under boot camp. OSX is awesome, and easily my favorite OS I've used, but it blows chunks when it comes to gaming.

EDIT: Yeah, just tried SCII with the new update on my i7 MBP with the 330M GT in it. The opening of the
Zeratul
cutscene used to get 16 fps on High on my Mac, now it get's 20 FPS. It gets 40 FPS when I run the same settings under Windows.

scorcho

Mecha_Infantry said:
Can't find it so far, I think you're talking about WD Smartware from what I've figured out.

Fuck this shit, I'm getting a damn Time Capsule

edit* What's S/E?

oops - meant S/L/E - system/library/extensions

do you have the WD SmartWare uninstaller on the portable drive still? http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5373

from what i remember the extension to look for has smartware in the name.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I always thought native NTFS writing was just fine. Turns out it isn't! Yesterday, I wrote about 60 files totalling to hundreds of GB. Some filenames were garbled and trying to delete them resulted in I/O errors.

So I tried the same operation with a different drive on a different USB port. Same outcome (although different filenames were garbled)!

So I boot up Windows, do chkdsk /r to fix both drives. Turns out OS X fucked up the succession of nodes and broke the filenames. Windows reports they're repaired, but I don't trust anyone anymore.
I thus repeated the copy operation with Windows, additionally transferring the files via network on-the-fly since they were on the OS X on a different machine.

Haven't compiled a proper bug report because it's sort of a lot of work, but it's easy to see what's the issue here.

Take care!

TheLegend

Is there any way to get the icons on the dock to be larger? The max size from Dock Preferences isn't really big enough since I really don't have too many at this point. Any apps that will do this?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
TheLegend said:
Is there any way to get the icons on the dock to be larger? The max size from Dock Preferences isn't really big enough since I really don't have too many at this point. Any apps that will do this?
Have you tried Magnification?

20100818-bg3c8uh77jeedjssdtw51da7wb.jpg

ana

Blergh..

GFX-update didn't fix the jumpy magic mouse cursor if other monitor is connected to iMac with DVI-adapter.. :(

I guess I have to disconnect the monitor and order VGA-adapter if that works.. :-/

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm trying to connect a magic trackpad to an iMac but the trackpad never shows up in Bluetooth setup assistant. What could I be doing wrong?!

Blackhead

Redarse
It's not blinking

Edit: tapped the power button a couple of times and it's blinking now. Thanks. I'm not exactly sure what I did. It should have come with a manual :|

Blackhead

Redarse
Erm, another noon question: How do I make everything on the iMac larger by default so I dont have to move closer and squint at the screen or keep using the zoom gesture?

Keylime

Charred Greyface said:
Erm, another noon question: How do I make everything on the iMac larger by default so I dont have to move closer and squint at the screen or keep using the zoom gesture?
Outside of lowering the resolution, you'll have to manually adjust a lot of things. Icon size in the dock can be adjusted in the settings menu. Icons on the desktop can be adjusted by just pinch zooming...

...but something like a Photoshop toolbar isn't going to be adjustable without changing the resolution I don't believe.

Blackhead

Redarse
RubxQub said:
Outside of lowering the resolution, you'll have to manually adjust a lot of things. Icon size in the dock can be adjusted in the settings menu. Icons on the desktop can be adjusted by just pinch zooming...

...but something like a Photoshop toolbar isn't going to be adjustable without changing the resolution I don't believe.
:/ what about Safari? I could get by, for now, if there's a way to adjust that. I especially need help with the menubar icons and text (which aren't affected by the zoom gesture or resizing the window).

Keylime

Keylime

Charred Greyface said:
Thanks, that does look promising. The iMac is a borrowed machine so I'll have to check if I can install all that first (or I can uninstall it discreetly ;).

I'm surprised Apple doesn't do this already as they appear to be the company who knows best the value of adjusting UI for different sized screens...
Apparently according to some thread I read when looking for an answer, Apple's promised this feature natively in the past (like pre-Leopard)...but who knows if that's true or not.

Looks like it's just a terminal command to adjust the scale the UI, either across the board or something you can adjust app by app. Just change the scale factor to something greater than 1 to make it bigger, less than 1 for smaller, or back to 1 for default.

Seems easy enough to change/revert, but like I said, I've never done it.

Hope it works out!

So I've been looking to free up some space on my computer, and I'm wondering, is it ok to delete the .dmg/.pkg/.zip/.tar files of things you've downloaded after you've installed the stuff they contain? I already eject the virtual disk that gets created when installing stuff, I was just wondering if it's ok to delete the stuff that creates the virtual disk in the first place.

Manics

Banned
My sister got a macbook pro, she wants to use iChat to video chat with me and my kids. I ran AIM on my netbook, she can see my video and audio just fine, but I don't hear a damn thing from her side, audio is VERY low and the video is all blocky. Can't even make out who is on the other side. Are there some settings in iChat or her video camera that I need to look at? I know nothing about Mac.

Manics said:
My sister got a macbook pro, she wants to use iChat to video chat with me and my kids. I ran AIM on my netbook, she can see my video and audio just fine, but I don't hear a damn thing from her side, audio is VERY low and the video is all blocky. Can't even make out who is on the other side. Are there some settings in iChat or her video camera that I need to look at? I know nothing about Mac.
sounds like a problem with her internet provider?

Top Bottom