• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Manics said:
She's tried iChat with another friend who also has a Mac and she said it works fine on both sides.
Under Settings > Sound, there is an Input tab that lets you control the input volume. Try cranking that and seeing if it helps with the volume levels.

As for the blocky video, all I can think of is that maybe she has the bandwidth limit enabled or something? In iChat preferences, check the audio/video tab and see if there's any limit set.

If not, I'd say it's got to be a bad connection.

Manics

Banned
RubxQub said:
Under Settings > Sound, there is an Input tab that lets you control the input volume. Try cranking that and seeing if it helps with the volume levels.

As for the blocky video, all I can think of is that maybe she has the bandwidth limit enabled or something? In iChat preferences, check the audio/video tab and see if there's any limit set.

If not, I'd say it's got to be a bad connection.

Thanks, I'll look into it for her when I go there since she's a total non-techie.

Blackhead

Redarse
RubxQub said:
Apparently according to some thread I read when looking for an answer, Apple's promised this feature natively in the past (like pre-Leopard)...but who knows if that's true or not.

Looks like it's just a terminal command to adjust the scale the UI, either across the board or something you can adjust app by app. Just change the scale factor to something greater than 1 to make it bigger, less than 1 for smaller, or back to 1 for default.

Seems easy enough to change/revert, but like I said, I've never done it.

Hope it works out!
I went ahead with it. Scales nicely :)

Keylime

Charred Greyface said:
I went ahead with it. Scales nicely :)
Huzzuh!

Blackhead

Redarse
RubxQub said:
There are some glitches :(

EwpI8.png

Fqwch.png

Also videos either don't play properly (youtube) or rendered properly on the page (iPad tv spot on Apple.com)

I guess the 27" is just too big for me

Keylime

Charred Greyface said:
There are some glitches :(

http://imgur.com/EwpI8.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://imgur.com/Fqwch.png[IMG]

Also videos either don't play properly (youtube) or rendered properly on the page (iPad tv spot on Apple.com)

I guess the 27" is just too big for me[/QUOTE]Un-Huzzah :(

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Krelian said:
I suspect it's not an NTFS but a FAT32 drive. You can check the file system in Disk Utility. There are other ways to enable read/write operations on NTFS drives as well, I'm using NTFS-3g myself. Haven't had any problems with it yet.

You might get random CPU spikes when the Finder tries to index data on any NTFS partition you might have. It is a problem even with the paid Tuxera optimized version of the driver.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
StopMakingSense said:
I keep my icons small and leave my dock on the bottom, but pinned to the right side of the screen. Best of both worlds.

On the right side? Funky, always wanted the Windows taskbar vertical, but on the left side of the screen. Thanks to big icons and magnification, the Dock was already quite good at being placed vertically (unusable on the bottom with 16:9 monitors IMHO), but I hope that next major OS X revision does something to the GUI because in some cases Windows 7 has leapfrogged them (you might say copied them... sure... that too, but their implementation is now superior IMHO) with the new taskbar.
The Dock, magnification aside, needs a good way to give more visual feedback to users (I am talking about the Dock with its default settings, not custom mods) like what icon/app they are hovering on with the mouse (and since we are talking about that, black arrow with a white outline feels less useful as a visual cue than a white arrow with a black outline... IMHO). When you hover on a taskbar icon on Windows 7, you do see the icon light up and the lighting will reflect the position of the mouse arrow on the icon itself as the highlight does follow the mouse arrow.

Anybody else having issues after the last system update? Chrome, iTunes and adium are running slower since I updated last night, including 1 lock up

running a late 2009 MacBook pro, 13", 2gb ram

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Not really sure what's the best thread to post in...

The graphics card on my early 2008 MBP 15" is starting to crap out, so I think it's time for an upgrade. It's apparently covered under an extended warranty thing Apple did with regards to NVidia cards from that time, so if it is covered I'll get it fixed and throw it up on ebay.

Anyway - am I right that the newer 13" MBP has the same (more or less) 2.4ghz CPU as my current 2.5 year old C2D 15"? I'm torn between going to a 13" for portability while having a 24" monitor at home for when I need to do graphics stuff; and just spending a bit more and getting the i5 15" without the extra monitor - is the jump to i5 going to be big? These days I've cut down on a lot of the freelance stuff I used to use the 15 for, so having a high res screen all the time isn't super important. That said, I don't really want to 'upgrade' to a machine that using the same guts as the one I bought in 2008 with a smaller screen. Help!

Keylime

julls said:
Not really sure what's the best thread to post in...

The graphics card on my early 2008 MBP 15" is starting to crap out, so I think it's time for an upgrade. It's apparently covered under an extended warranty thing Apple did with regards to NVidia cards from that time, so if it is covered I'll get it fixed and throw it up on ebay.

Anyway - am I right that the newer 13" MBP has the same (more or less) 2.4ghz CPU as my current 2.5 year old C2D 15"? I'm torn between going to a 13" for portability while having a 24" monitor at home for when I need to do graphics stuff; and just spending a bit more and getting the i5 15" without the extra monitor - is the jump to i5 going to be big? These days I've cut down on a lot of the freelance stuff I used to use the 15 for, so having a high res screen all the time isn't super important. That said, I don't really want to 'upgrade' to a machine that using the same guts as the one I bought in 2008 with a smaller screen. Help!
Biggest difference between the 13" and the 15" is going to be the discrete graphics. While the processor is indeed better, the most noticable gap in functionality and performance will revolve around graphically intensive activities.

If you think you can get away with not having the big bump in GPU that the 15" provides, I'd say the 13" would suit you fine. The early '08 MBP GPU is slightly stronger than the 13" 320M that's being used now, so if you got by fine with the '08, you could probably get by fine with the 320M card.

I've always been a max brightness kinda guy. Lately I've been getting headaches working on my iMac so I turned down the brightness a few notches and it seems to help a bit. My question is if max brightness on a monitor lowers the life expectancy of the monitor at all?

I now have it at about 13 notches of brightness or at about 80% (max is 16 notches).

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
criesofthepast said:
I've always been a max brightness kinda guy. Lately I've been getting headaches working on my iMac so I turned down the brightness a few notches and it seems to help a bit. My question is if max brightness on a monitor lowers the life expectancy of the monitor at all?

I now have it at about 13 notches of brightness or at about 80% (max is 16 notches).
I got that F.Lux program that was being talked about a lot on here, and now I can't live without it. While I'd disable it for any colour-sensitive work, it really makes the screen easier to use and turning it off in the evenings is like staring into the sun.

Also, think I've made the decision to go the 13" and get a large monitor to use at home if I need to do any graphics stuff. Thanks again for the advice RubxQub. The fact I carry it on my back on my scooter every day to work is another factor in the decision - while only 500g lighter than my current 15", any difference is gonna be good.

GodfatherX said:
Anybody else having issues after the last system update? Chrome, iTunes and adium are running slower since I updated last night, including 1 lock up

running a late 2009 MacBook pro, 13", 2gb ram
no issues here. time for a repair of disk permissions?

julls said:
I got that F.Lux program that was being talked about a lot on here, and now I can't live without it. While I'd disable it for any colour-sensitive work, it really makes the screen easier to use and turning it off in the evenings is like staring into the sun.

Also, think I've made the decision to go the 13" and get a large monitor to use at home if I need to do any graphics stuff. Thanks again for the advice RubxQub. The fact I carry it on my back on my scooter every day to work is another factor in the decision - while only 500g lighter than my current 15", any difference is gonna be good.
Might want to wait for October at this point when the Core i processors might trickle down to the 13" models.

Kimosabae

Banned
Can someone please suggest a means to transfer songs from my iTouch to my iTunes account? I recently had my hard drive crash while trying to upgrade to Snow Lepoard and lost more than 100 dollars worth of music. My iPhone has synced my new Library so now it's missing those songs, but my iTouch still has them. Any help would be appreciated.

giga

Kimosabae said:
Can someone please suggest a means to transfer songs from my iTouch to my iTunes account? I recently had my hard drive crash while trying to upgrade to Snow Lepoard and lost more than 100 dollars worth of music. My iPhone has synced my new Library so now it's missing those songs, but my iTouch still has them. Any help would be appreciated.
http://expod.joynt.net/

Kimosabae said:
Senuti works great and is free for up to 1000 songs.

http://www.fadingred.com/senuti/

giga

I have a thorough and categorized list of Mac software that I can make a thread on. Should I? Seems like it would be helpful for quick reference.

Kimosabae

Banned
giga said:
I have a thorough and categorized list of Mac software that I can make a thread on. Should I? Seems like it would be helpful for quick reference.

That would definitely help someone like me. I have a lot of catching up to do regarding Macs in general, so an organized list of software that could help me get the most out of my investment would be very awesome.

XenoRaven

I might just end up making a thread about this on the gaming side later, but does anyone know any good video capture software for streaming on justin.tv or ustream? I'm using this program called CamTwist right now but the framerate on my stream is really bad. I know there's a program called VHScrCap on Windows that works well, but I don't think it's made for Mac. I'm trying to avoid getting Windows 7 for the time being, but will do so if I can't find decent capture software for my stream. Does anyone know of a program I could use?

EDIT: I would also be interested in a list of good software for Macs.

XenoRaven said:
I might just end up making a thread about this on the gaming side later, but does anyone know any good video capture software for streaming on justin.tv or ustream? I'm using this program called CamTwist right now but the framerate on my stream is really bad. I know there's a program called VHScrCap on Windows that works well, but I don't think it's made for Mac. I'm trying to avoid getting Windows 7 for the time being, but will do so if I can't find decent capture software for my stream. Does anyone know of a program I could use?

EDIT: I would also be interested in a list of good software for Macs.
I used the official Ustream Producer (free version) and it worked well.

kaskade

So how is time machine for backups? I remember reading about some people having problems. My friend recently had to reinstall his OS and it made me think I should really start having a backup.

LCfiner

kaskade said:
So how is time machine for backups? I remember reading about some people having problems. My friend recently had to reinstall his OS and it made me think I should really start having a backup.

Time Machine has been solid for me. I’ve used it to restore a system from a hard drive crash plus in a system migration from one machine to another.

It’s very much set it and forget it. I like it.

if you want another option that gives you a full bootable drive in case of hard drive failure so you can get back to work right away, use superduper or carbon copy cloner.

Recently because of some certain drivers that were supposed to help my system (and didn't), I had to use Time Machine for the first time. Worked like a frickin' charm. So much better than reinstalling the OS and having to deal with tinkering it for a whole day trying to get it back the way you had it. Backs up every hour, automatically. The only other option I'd even consider at this point is offsite backup like Carbonite.

LCfiner

cooljeanius said:
Aren't Time Machines really expensive though? Isn't there anything cheaper?

you’re thinking of the “Time Capsule” product which incorporates a wifi router with a built in hard drive for wireless backups.

Time Machine is just backup software built into OS X and is free and works with any USB drive that can accommodate the size of your internal drive backup

Jasoco

Banned
Time Machine hasn't worked over the network for me for months. I have CCC backups over the network that run every 6 hours without fail, but I can't even select the networked disk with Time Machine even if it's mounted. It says "Not available". So I don't even use it anymore. I was thinking of partitioning my internal HD and using the second partition as a Time Machine backup just for version control. CCC still acts as my real "backup" for when bad things happen. I wouldn't trust Time Machine alone for any real backup.

Final word: For real backup, use Carbon Copy Cloner. For version control, use a Time Machine as well.

Jasoco

Banned
Not from what I've seen. If you have a lot of huge >1GB files you will end up with fragmentation. Especially if you've ever hit the capacity of the drive. Even if you deleted other files to make space, you basically dug a hole in the middle of the drive and have files scattered at the end and beginning.

I've got a QuickLook thumbnails system cache file that's 400MB broken into 2000 pieces. And a Virtual HD for Windows 7 (7.5GB) broken into 1500. (My Linux VM is 3.7GB and broken into 850 pieces) If that's not "fragmentation" I don't know what really is.

noah111

Still Alive
OK, I am FUCKED. Made a big mistake. I remember HUDifying my old Leopard Mac, so I decided to begin the process here too. Only thing I forgot was i'm already fucking running Snow Leopard!! To make a long story short, I can no longer access 'About My Mac' from the drop down Apple logo. Just nothing shows up. I have tried to find original files but I only find Leopard ones...

Basically i'd like the original files and see if it finally works. The folder is this (from bottom to top);

2d0dis9.png

If you could just show me (if you're on the updated/recent version of Snow Leopard) what your Resources folder looks like, maybe i'm missing a file? I don't know, but please help my sorry ass!

Has anybody here had trouble with bluetooth keyboards and bootcamp? I have an MBP and a bluetooth mouse and KB combo by Microsoft. The mouse works on both OS's without any grief, but the keyboard is an asshole. I have to re-pair it each time I boot into a different OS. I want to get a new iMac relatively soon so I'd like to know if this problem exists with the keyboard and moues that come with that, or maybe if it's just that my set is junky.

noah111

Still Alive
Jasoco said:
Just reinstall SNow Leopard. It's smart enough to do it right without messing anything up.
I really can't do that, I have so much shit on here I would have to re-do it would be counter productive.

I know the files I replaced, everyone on Leopard does it (at least many I know), but I just need the original files from ~/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow/Contents/Resources/English.lproj

I found a bunch of backups files for people in my situation too on variou theme forums etc, but it's all from Leopard and not SNOWl.. sucks. Can anyone just help me out here? :\

Jasoco

Banned
It's smart. Trust me. It won't touch your stuff. All you'll need to change are files that you personally hacked anyway.

Here's a list of the folder:
Code:
Resources:
	BackButton_pressed.tif
	BackButton.tif
	English.lproj:
		AboutThisMac.nib
		AboutThisMac.strings
		BuiltInAuth.nib
		FileVault.nib
		FileVault.strings
		LoginKeychainUI.nib
		loginwindow.strings
		LogOut.nib
		LoMemory.nib
		ProcessPanel.nib
		ShutDownAlert.nib
		TimedOut.nib
	FileVault_logo.tif
	FileVault_text.tif
	FileVault.icns
	ForwardButton_pressed.tif
	ForwardButton.tif
	keys.png
	loginwindow.png
	LogOut.png
	MacOSX.tif
	MacOSXServer.tif
	Restart.tif
	secure_erase
	Security.icns
	ShutDown.png
	Sleep.tif

has anyone gone from 4 GB to 8 GB of memory on a macbook pro?

I see they are available now I have 4 GB on a 2.26 13" macbook pro
seems silly to spend the extra but running Windows 7 on Parallels has me thinking a little extra memory may help my gaming? Am I wrong?

noah111

Still Alive
Jasoco said:
It's smart. Trust me. It won't touch your stuff. All you'll need to change are files that you personally hacked anyway.

Here's a list of the folder:
Code:
Resources:
	BackButton_pressed.tif
	BackButton.tif
	English.lproj:
		AboutThisMac.nib
		AboutThisMac.strings
		BuiltInAuth.nib
		FileVault.nib
		FileVault.strings
		LoginKeychainUI.nib
		loginwindow.strings
		LogOut.nib
		LoMemory.nib
		ProcessPanel.nib
		ShutDownAlert.nib
		TimedOut.nib
	FileVault_logo.tif
	FileVault_text.tif
	FileVault.icns
	ForwardButton_pressed.tif
	ForwardButton.tif
	keys.png
	loginwindow.png
	LogOut.png
	MacOSX.tif
	MacOSXServer.tif
	Restart.tif
	secure_erase
	Security.icns
	ShutDown.png
	Sleep.tif

Wait, I can do that? Like take just what I need instead of reseting my whole MBP (i.e. all programs settings etc etc)? If so AWESOME.

And btw I don't believe it's actually hacking, is it? I do this for my bowtie themes, I find one I kinda like and I make it better to my tastes.. Many HUDify, I didn't know it's technically 'hacking' though. :lol

Top Bottom