• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

So playing around in garageband has given me the itch for something a little more advanced. I think I might just throw in an m-audio delta 44 soundcard I bought a decade ago and hook up a bunch of music recording stuff to my PC. Is cubase still THE shit for OSX? or are there other worthy competitors now?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Futureman said:
Whenever I double click on a .mp4 file on my desktop, MPEG Streamclip opens the file.

How do I set it so Quicktime opens it?

CMD-I on the file.

Open With -> Whatever App you want

Then hit Change All.

CRS

Futureman said:
Whenever I double click on a .mp4 file on my desktop, MPEG Streamclip opens the file.

How do I set it so Quicktime opens it?

Highlight the file type in question (in this case a .mp4 file), use the Get Info command (⌘+I), go to the "Open with:" section, choose Quicktime from the list, and finally click on the "Change All..." button.

Edit: Didn't see someone already replied. Whoops.

Pachimari

So I am recording some shows on EyeTV and I wanted to cut out a segment (like a commercial) and upload it to YouTube. I find out, that I can't drag the recorded show into iMovie on the Mac Mini, do I need to convert the .eyetv format to another format? If so, which software should I use?

Anastacio said:
So I am recording some shows on EyeTV and I wanted to cut out a segment (like a commercial) and upload it to YouTube. I find out, that I can't drag the recorded show into iMovie on the Mac Mini, do I need to convert the .eyetv format to another format? If so, which software should I use?

You can edit out the commercials in EyeTV by right clicking on the video and selecting edit.

You can send your video directly into iMovie (Where it may be easier to edit) by right clicking on the video and selecting export. Then select iMovie or any other format you desire.

chumps

So I like and use Google's notifier app for calendar notification but always hated the ugly menubar icon it uses... and how it totally gives OSX's design standards a middle finger.

I already use an app called notify for e-mail and I edited the png it uses for its icon and put it in for google's calendar notification icon. (i disabled gmail notifier)

looks like:
google.png

(notify is the square icon on the left and google notifier on the right)

can d/l from: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6026613/google notifier pngs.zip

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Is there any way I can get Safari from opening new windows when I open a link in another program. I want it to open in another tab instead.

moowear

I have picasa installed and i want to edit some pics but iphoto has "rights" to the pics. If i want to edit the image, i have to allow picasa to "make a copy". Does this essentially mean that there will be 2 copies of said picture on my computer?
if so, is there any way to "unassociate" or have iphoto give up the rights to the original image so that I can edit in picasa freely without having a copy of each image? will removing iphoto with appcleaner remove the rights of the photos? thanks for any help.

Jasoco

Banned
Sentry said:
Wait, I can do that? Like take just what I need instead of reseting my whole MBP (i.e. all programs settings etc etc)? If so AWESOME.

And btw I don't believe it's actually hacking, is it? I do this for my bowtie themes, I find one I kinda like and I make it better to my tastes.. Many HUDify, I didn't know it's technically 'hacking' though. :lol
Snow Leopard's install process is so smart it will preserve everything. It will be like nothing ever happened as long as you immediately run Software update to get all your stuff up to the latest.

Xater

Flash stopped working for me in every browser. When I want to see a video on Ginatbomb or Youtube I get sound but no picture. I am at loss what to do now.

Nevermind older FLash version fixed it.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Xater said:
Flash stopped working for me in every browser. When I want to see a video on Ginatbomb or Youtube I get sound but no picture. I am at loss what to do now.

Nevermind older FLash version fixed it.
Alternatively you could have uninstalled flash all together to get both of those sites to work. :D

NYR

3 hour mac owner here. Question about turning it on and off.

The everything Mac book days I should set it to sleep if I use it and only shut it down if I don't use it for days. I use the comp daily.

I am in the habit of turning off/shutting down my comp after each session. Will this cause harm to the Mac?

NYR said:
3 hour mac owner here. Question about turning it on and off.

The everything Mac book days I should set it to sleep if I use it and only shut it down if I don't use it for days. I use the comp daily.

I am in the habit of turning off/shutting down my comp after each session. Will this cause harm to the Mac?
will not cause harm.

Hey, so I'm going on a long car trip tomorrow, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for increasing a MacBook Pro's battery life? So far I turn off AirPort and Bluetooth and only run one application at a time and reduce the brightness, but I was wondering if there was anything else I could do to make the battery last longer.

seady

I am thinking about upgrading to Snow Leopard (from Leopard), but do I have to reinstall everything on my laptop once upgraded? What about the stuffs at Bootcamp?

LCfiner

seady said:
I am thinking about upgrading to Snow Leopard (from Leopard), but do I have to reinstall everything on my laptop once upgraded? What about the stuffs at Bootcamp?

it’ll remember everything. nothing will be lost - including the bootcamp partition.

you only need to worry about bootcamp stuff when migrating hard drives (there are 3rd party tools to deal with that)

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
zhenming said:
anyone have instructions on how to make an SSD the boot/app drive? without reformatting whats on my current boot drive?
You may want to reformat your avatar first. It's like a billion by a quadrillion.

NYR

Guys,

Should I install Microsoft Messenger for Mac 7.0.2 or Microsoft Messenger for Mac 8 Beta?

8 has been out since May, just wondering if it is stable or if I should stick with the last stable release from 2009...

chumps

zhenming said:
anyone have instructions on how to make an SSD the boot/app drive? without reformatting whats on my current boot drive?

What I did was back my puter up on time machine. Put in the SSD. Restore.

Was easy mcpeasy.

Doytch

chumps said:
So I like and use Google's notifier app for calendar notification but always hated the ugly menubar icon it uses... and how it totally gives OSX's design standards a middle finger.

I already use an app called notify for e-mail and I edited the png it uses for its icon and put it in for google's calendar notification icon. (i disabled gmail notifier)

looks like: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6026613/google.png[IMG]
(notify is the square icon on the left and google notifier on the right)

can d/l from: [url]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6026613/google%20notifier%20pngs.zip[/url][/QUOTE]
Hey this is pretty cool. Didn't know you could muck around inside packages like that. Do you think you could upload the GMail icon you've got on your dock, also?

Schrade

Bioshocked said:
I have some .mkv and .avi files that I want to stream to my 360. What's the best program to do this?
Have you tried PS3 Media Server? Don't worry about the name, it supports 360 as well as misc. TVs and such.

chumps

I just wanted to take a moment to express just how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE inertial scrolling. When I first turned i was like... cool... might be useful. Now, any kind of scrolling action (my mouse's scrollwheel) without inertial scrolling support feels gimpy as F.

Gobless you Apple.

chumps

Doytch said:
Hey this is pretty cool. Didn't know you could muck around inside packages like that. Do you think you could upload the GMail icon you've got on your dock, also?

The mail icon is from an app called Notify. It's money but totally worth and makes g-mail much more user friendly. I'm sure you can download the trial version and get the png files for the icons if you don't wanna buy it. The calendar icon were hacked from the notify icon :).

NYR

Anyway to get rid of the "are you sure you want to shut down your computer now" pop up when I select shut down?

My mac boots ups in 20 or so seconds, if shut down by mistake (*rolls eyes*), no biggie, but dealing with this pop up is getting annoying every time I shut down...

hirokazu

NYR said:
Anyway to get rid of the "are you sure you want to shut down your computer now" pop up when I select shut down?

My mac boots ups in 20 or so seconds, if shut down by mistake (*rolls eyes*), no biggie, but dealing with this pop up is getting annoying every time I shut down...
Hold Option when clicking Shut down

NYR said:

You don't need to ever manually shut down.

Chris R

mescalineeyes said:
seriously, why would you shut down a mac, especially "regularly". Put that sucker to sleep :)
I shut my mac down all the time (like for instance, when I'm done using it for the day). Sleep is for fools!

VNZ

TouchMyBox said:
So playing around in garageband has given me the itch for something a little more advanced. I think I might just throw in an m-audio delta 44 soundcard I bought a decade ago and hook up a bunch of music recording stuff to my PC. Is cubase still THE shit for OSX? or are there other worthy competitors now?
Depending on what kind of music/studio work the person you ask are into, Ableton Live and Apple Logic would probably get more votes than Cubase.

ok, I just bought Snow Leopard. Any last things I should do before I install it?
Edit: never mind, I'm not waiting this long for a response.

So after installing Snow Leopard and doing all the software updates, it won't let me open Safari, saying, "You can't use this version of the application Safari with this version of Mac OS X. You have Safari 5.0.1." Any idea what's wrong? Also, I haven't noticed any graphics improvement in my games despite the graphics update, is there anything I need to do? Also, the Anti-Virus software I was required to get for college doesn't work with my computer any more, even after I run its updater...

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
cooljeanius said:
So after installing Snow Leopard and doing all the software updates, it won't let me open Safari, saying, "You can't use this version of the application Safari with this version of Mac OS X. You have Safari 5.0.1." Any idea what's wrong? Also, I haven't noticed any graphics improvement in my games despite the graphics update, is there anything I need to do? Also, the Anti-Virus software I was required to get for college doesn't work with my computer any more, even after I run its updater...

Try fixing permissions with disk utility. and then a restart. What virus scanner do you have?

You can also try installing Onyx and running all the scripts under maintenance (daily, weekly, monthly)

http://www.titanium.free.fr/download.php?sid=ddeff108aa6131a1b572abd3fe8c492f

Jeez!
Fucking
SAFARI
BEACHBALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Urrgh, MBP still struggling to start up after sleeping, still got issues about not being able to use my hash key. Man, I didn't want to reinstall right now :(

quadriplegicjon said:
Try fixing permissions with disk utility. and then a restart. What virus scanner do you have?

You can also try installing Onyx and running all the scripts under maintenance (daily, weekly, monthly)

http://www.titanium.free.fr/download.php?sid=ddeff108aa6131a1b572abd3fe8c492f
The virus scanner I have is Symantec (don't laugh at me, I didn't choose it). Also, I already had OnyX, I just never used it. Anyway, installing the Snow Leopard version of Safari worked for that.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
New MBP EFI update... Started installing, it shut down, meter showed, restarted again, black screen, and now it's looping between a black screen and SOS tones (... --- ...) and an Apple logo with a progress meter. And I supposed to hard reset or something?

steadfast

SnakeXs said:
New MBP EFI update... Started installing, it shut down, meter showed, restarted again, black screen, and now it's looping between a black screen and SOS tones (... --- ...) and an Apple logo with a progress meter. And I supposed to hard reset or something?

Did you already reset your PRAM? I would do so if you haven't.

Top Bottom