• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

I just bought a Time Capsule 1TB for £159. I was going to wait until after today and see if they'd make them cheaper or lager sized, but then I saw the full RRP is £259, so fuck that

Only thing I'm disappoint in is that I didn't get AppleCare for my MBP, so I can't get Apple care for my Time Capsule. Hopefully if it dies, it'll be in the first year

Ashhong

man i completely forgot about buying the protection plan...now its too late and my led light is bleeding in from the side :(

Nvidia working on cheaper South Bridge graphics solution that will make its way into the new Sandy Bridge 13.3" Macbook Pros?
A successful combo chipset could be a significant boost to many computer makers but Apple in particular. Its partnership with NVIDIA has proven difficult since the Intel ban as it has limited Apple's choices for its smaller systems. The Mac creator ultimately chose to use older Core 2 Duo processors with NVIDIA's GeForce 320M chipset in 13-inch MacBooks and the Mac mini rather than take a major step back in graphics performance by using Intel's video core. Sandy Bridge graphcis should be much more competitive, but future NVIDIA graphics may reclaim a performance lead.

Read more: http://www.electronista.com/article....make.end.run.around.intel.ban/#ixzz0yJFwm0zY

So quasi-integrated graphics? You've got my attention, NVidia.

Jasoco

Banned
X-Frame said:
Pissed that iLife '11 wasn't announced today. I guess January now.
The only apps I use in iLife ate iTunes and iPhoto, and iPhoto is good enough as it is and iTunes was updated. So I'm satisfied. Plus I'd hate to have to buy yet another version just for iPhoto. (So glad iTunes is still free.)

Blackhead

Redarse
Every time I empty my trash these days I get an error that one if the files is still in use and can't be deleted. I never can figure out the program that's still using the file and the error eventually goes away, sometimes in the next minute, sometimes hours later after multiple logouts. What gives?

Is Wake-on-LAN only possible for the newest Macs?

bionic77

Speaking of Applecare, what is the cheapest way to get Applecare for a MBP?

Still have about 10 months left on the one year, but I am going to get it before it runs out (first MBP needed at least 2 or 3 repairs).

Blackhead

Redarse
bionic77 said:
Speaking of Applecare, what is the cheapest way to get Applecare for a MBP?

Still have about 10 months left on the one year, but I am going to get it before it runs out (first MBP needed at least 2 or 3 repairs).
Ebay prices are the lowest but supposedly it's hit and miss if Apple will honor those codes. Amazon is the next cheapest.

Pachimari

Wow, the problems just pops up one by one these days.

Now my Spring 2010 Mac Mini won't insert discs. I try, it doesn't suck it in. Nothing happens either when I press 'eject', no sound at all - so it's not even trying. There's no disc in it either. I guess I have to go to Apple and get it repaired for a huge amount of money? Even though I haven't done anything to it, haven't even touched - have only popped in a disc twice in its lifetime.. =(

My biggest complain about OS X is when I have a finder window open, let's say, my documents, and I want to check something in another windows but I want my document window open, I had to go to my Download pile and cick " open in finder " to pop up a second window.

30 seconds ago, I just CMD + Click on several icons in my folder list (left on the finder window) and instantly opened 3 different folder in 3 different windows.

MIND BLOWN :O

UnluckyKate said:
My biggest complain about OS X is when I have a finder window open, let's say, my documents, and I want to check something in another windows but I want my document window open, I had to go to my Download pile and cick " open in finder " to pop up a second window.

30 seconds ago, I just CMD + Click on several icons in my folder list (left on the finder window) and instantly opened 3 different folder in 3 different windows.

I love it. Always finding out something new.

I have a really stupid question: Can I switch to a different user and still have a program working in the background? For instance, there is a video rendering in a different user's profile, but I want to work using a different user at the same time. Am I OK to switch users as long as I don't log out?

Jasoco

Banned
I've always wondered that myself, but I don't have more than one user on my computer so I never tried it. I'd say do a test. Start a Handbrake encode or something then fast-user-switch and see if it's still running when you return, or if OS X closes the program and ends the encode. Easiest way to find out. Also, you could probably check Activity Monitor while in the other user and see if it's still running.

Also, you changed your avatar in the time it took me to type this. Weird.

mollipen

thewesker said:
I have a really stupid question: Can I switch to a different user and still have a program working in the background? For instance, there is a video rendering in a different user's profile, but I want to work using a different user at the same time. Am I OK to switch users as long as I don't log out?

It should still work in the background. I know that one of the big "problems" with fast user switching used to be that iTunes wouldn't keep playing if you switched, but that was because it was assumed that that's how you would want it to work. I believe that Apple then changed iTunes so that it could keep playing even after a switch.

I have to say, though, instead of asking if it'll work, why not just try it?

th3dude

Bought a 13" MacBook Pro on sale at MicroCenter (<3) for $999.

My first Mac ever and my first real experience with OS X. Loving it so far but it is taking some time to get used to.

What is the best way to install apps? I see that some install themselves and others make you drag and drop something to the apps folder? What am I missing?

I guess that's the only real question I have so far. The hardware on this thing is unbelievable. Blows any other laptop out of the water.

Any tips (or links to posts with tips :D ) for a *true* Mac OS X noob?

sn1pes said:

My first Mac ever and my first real experience with OS X. Loving it so far but it is taking some time to get used to.

What is the best way to install apps? I see that some install themselves and others make you drag and drop something to the apps folder? What am I missing?

I guess that's the only real question I have so far. The hardware on this thing is unbelievable. Blows any other laptop out of the water.

Any tips (or links to posts with tips :D ) for a *true* Mac OS X noob?
Installing apps usually involves simply dragging the app to the Applications folder. Apps that require additional things such as drivers and things use an installer. If you want to uninstall an app, you can just throw it in the trash and it should work fine.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
sn1pes said:

Basically depends on the app. Apps are basically packages that contain all the files associated with the application hence if you alt click one you'll see an option to 'Show Package Contents'. So simply dragging an app file from the dmg to a folder installs all the required files automatically. When you first open the app it will create some other files hidden away in the System folder such as plist files. You won't really need to be concerned with these at this point in time. You'll find this is the more common method. If the app includes an installer then you just need to follow the instructions like with Windows.

th3dude

thewesker said:
Installing apps usually involves simply dragging the app to the Applications folder. Apps that require additional things such as drivers and things use an installer. If you want to uninstall an app, you can just throw it in the trash and it should work fine.

Good to know about the uninstalling. Thanks.

Jasoco

Banned
Most apps are drag-and-drop self-contained .app packages. But a few do require installation, and a smaller few require installation for no reason other than "what the fuck is the developer thinking? This could have been done with drag-and-drop!"

Uninstalling you'll want to look around your Libraries to make sure you get everything for a few select apps. Most apps won't matter, but ones you had to install, or even others, will dump files in Applications Support, or your Library(s) folders. Occasionally my OCD and analretentiveness will get to me and I'll do some cleaning. I find leftover stuff all over. Including hidden stuff that some horrible apps will place in your User folder root with a period at the beginning to hide it from view. This is the bullshit Linux/Unix way of doing stuff and I wish apps would stop doing it. Even Apple does it with some stuff. I cleaned out 70MB of leftover cruft that was hidden in my User folder I didn't need anymore, and a bunch of empty folders cluttering everything up.

Thanks to OS X's lack of a Registry, I've never broken anything by removing files. It's so much easier to remove "baked-in" apps from OS X than it is from Windows.

sn1pes said:
Good to know about the uninstalling. Thanks.
Right-click an application in your Applications directory and choose "Show Package Contents." You'll notice that the ".app" file is actually like a big .zip file that contains all sorts of files inside of it. It looks a lot like the Windows "Program Files" directory.

I think looking at that really made it clear to me how OSX apps work, and why it's okay to just drag them to install or delete them. It's a really simple system.

Xun

Not really a Mac noob, but how can I transfer my playcounts to a new computer?

All of my music has been transferred, but I no longer have the playcounts/ratings for any of the songs.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Xun said:

All of my music has been transferred, but I no longer have the playcounts/ratings for any of the songs.

I think there's an XML file in the iTunes Library that has that info.

MDJCM

TouchMyBox said:
So playing around in garageband has given me the itch for something a little more advanced. I think I might just throw in an m-audio delta 44 soundcard I bought a decade ago and hook up a bunch of music recording stuff to my PC. Is cubase still THE shit for OSX? or are there other worthy competitors now?
Logic, surely?

LCfiner

Xun said:

On your old computer there's a couple files that are used for iTunes metadata database. One is an XML file but I think that's used for third party apps to tap into. There's another file that iTunes reads. You need to move this one into tour iTunes music folder and get iTunes to read that file with all the metadata for playlists, ratings, etc.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
LCfiner said:
On your old computer there's a couple files that are used for iTunes metadata database. One is an XML file but I think that's used for third party apps to tap into. There's another file that iTunes reads. You need to move this one into tour iTunes music folder and get iTunes to read that file with all the metadata for playlists, ratings, etc.

Damn, I was so close, yet so far.

Xun

LCfiner said:
Thought that was it, just didn't want to blow shit up.

Will hopefully work.

Jasoco

Banned
SnakeXs said:
I think there's an XML file in the iTunes Library that has that info.
Close. The XML file is just for parsing from external apps. You need to actually copy the Library file itself. In fact, copy the entire iTunes folder that is inside Music to the same location on the new computer. Sans the music itself in case you have it in there.

2m6v721.jpg

Just copy all of that and it'll be exactly the same.

aparisi2274

Hey All, I have a quick question...

I have been on iMac for a little over a year now, and I need to do some work on a client's network, so I need to get on their VPN. Is there anyway I can setup a VPN on my iMAC running OSX 10.6.4? If so, can someone point me to a site with detailed steps, or if you can post the steps here, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

VNZ

aparisi2274 said:

I have been on iMac for a little over a year now, and I need to do some work on a client's network, so I need to get on their VPN. Is there anyway I can setup a VPN on my iMAC running OSX 10.6.4? If so, can someone point me to a site with detailed steps, or if you can post the steps here, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
System Preferences -> Network -> Add (+)

MCX

Banned
Jasoco said:
Close. The XML file is just for parsing from external apps. You need to actually copy the Library file itself. In fact, copy the entire iTunes folder that is inside Music to the same location on the new computer. Sans the music itself in case you have it in there.

2m6v721.jpg

Just copy all of that and it'll be exactly the same.
I did this and my iTunes looks identical to my Windows XP iTunes, however the program can't load any song that I click on because it can't locate the file. Is there a simple way to point iTunes to my music library?

People, I'm going to upgrade my MBA for a MBP in the week.

How do I transfer all my stuff ? I use a external hard drive and Time Machine ? Then when I unbox my new MBP, I choose to import stuff from the external hard drive right ?

But will all my applications will be here ? Or will I have to install them again ? (like Lightroom, iWork and stuff not native in OS X)

corn_fest

MCX said:
I did this and my iTunes looks identical to my Windows XP iTunes, however the program can't load any song that I click on because it can't locate the file. Is there a simple way to point iTunes to my music library?
Edit > Preferences > Advanced?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
MCX said:
If you let iTunes copy your music files into it's folder I think you can just go to preferences -> advanced to change the location to the new folder. If you handle your own structure read the following.

Obviously, back your shit up first if you try this.

The way I did it a couple of years ago was to open the library file with TextEdit -> CMD+A -> delete -> save. This corrupts the library database and forces iTunes to use the XML file to rebuild it. You retain everything except Lyrics and the Date Added metadata iirc.

Now you have to edit the XML with the new location path. Open the xml file with TextEdit -> CMD+F -> find: location -> replace the string with the appropriate locations path -> CMD+S -> Open iTunes and let it rebuild.

To give you an example of the location path, my Windows location path is:

Code:
<key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/[B]M:[/B]/Music/Rock/Deftones/White%20Pony/Knife%20Party.mp3</string>

While my OS X location path for the same file is:
Code:
<key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/[B]Volumes/%20Media[/B]/Music/Rock/Deftones/White%20Pony/Knife%20Party.mp3</string>

The key difference is that Windows iTunes uses the drive letter while OS X iTunes uses the Volume name and that's what confuses the system when you just drop the old database into the iTunes folder. If your music falls under one folder you can just search for the drive letter and replace it with the volume name. Last time I did this was with iTunes 7, but I'm guessing that it should should still work if you do it with 10.

MCX

Banned
Killthee said:
If you let iTunes copy your music files into it's folder I think you can just go to preferences -> advanced to change the location to the new folder. If you handle your own structure read the following.

Obviously, back your shit up first if you try this.

The way I did it a couple of years ago was to open the library file with TextEdit -> CMD+A -> delete -> save. This corrupts the library database and forces iTunes to use the XML file to rebuild it. You retain everything except Lyrics and the Date Added metadata iirc.

Now you have to edit the XML with the new location path. Open the xml file with TextEdit -> CMD+F -> find: location -> replace the string with the appropriate locations path -> CMD+S -> Open iTunes and let it rebuild.

To give you an example of the location path, my Windows location path is:

Code:
<key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/[B]M:[/B]/Music/Rock/Deftones/White%20Pony/Knife%20Party.mp3</string>

While my OS X location path for the same file is:
Code:
<key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/[B]Volumes/%20Media[/B]/Music/Rock/Deftones/White%20Pony/Knife%20Party.mp3</string>

The key difference is that Windows iTunes uses the drive letter while OS X iTunes uses the Volume name and that's what confuses the system when you just drop the old database into the iTunes folder. If your music falls under one folder you can just search for the drive letter and replace it with the volume name. Last time I did this was with iTunes 7, but I'm guessing that it should should still work if you do it with 10.
Thank you very much, kind sir. Your XML "hack" worked like a charm. This is the first time in over a year of owning my Mac that I've been able to get iTunes to play nicely with my Windows music collection. Cheers. :D

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
MCX said:
Thank you very much, kind sir. Your XML "hack" worked like a charm. This is the first time in over a year of owning my Mac that I've been able to get iTunes to play nicely with my Windows music collection. Cheers. :D
Awesome!

v3zvaw.jpg

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Topher said:
Probably been asked a dozen times now, but any suggestions for ID3 tag editors?
the best editor is iTunes. baring that, reboot to Windows and use mp3tag.

Risible

UnluckyKate said:

APPLE-N to open a new finder window.

tabsina

Hey guys, quick question.. I have to use a Mac every week in one of the tute rooms at university to give a ppt presentation + background music that runs separate from the ppt (which i have going in itunes)

i had two issues with the setup, both relating to changing the volume of the background music mid presentation (due to a particularly loud or soft part) - the first problem i figured out (it made a noise every time i adjusted the volume, which was annoying as hell - why is this on by default - i assume it is default)

Anyways, the question I'm still having trouble with is - how do i remove the display from visually showing me the change of volume on screen, which then also shows up on the projector

I couldn't find the off switch for it anywhere in the properties, can anyone guide me to it? (i think it has snow leopard installed, if that changes anything)

aparisi2274 said:

Thanks
I have both Cisco's VPN Client and Juniper's Network Connect, but I got those through my school's network. Last year whenever signing in through the web, it would start Network Connect automatically, but this year I have to connect with the VPN Client manually. Both ways were fine for me, but you'd probably want to check to see how things work with your specific network.

Question regarding Office 2008.
I want to use the notebook-layout for class notes. I used to use onenote, but things got difficult when i switched to mac, as there were no export options better than throwing it all into big word documents.
Can you export to onenote or something like that in notebook layout? I just don't want to be stuck with all my notes in some odd format again.

Risible said:
APPLE-N to open a new finder window.

Niiiice, thanks !

Also, anyone ?

UnluckyKate said:
People, I'm going to upgrade my MBA for a MBP in the week.

How do I transfer all my stuff ? I use a external hard drive and Time Machine ? Then when I unbox my new MBP, I choose to import stuff from the external hard drive right ?

But will all my applications will be here ? Or will I have to install them again ? (like Lightroom, iWork and stuff not native in OS X)

Jasoco

Banned
Use OS X's Migration Assistant and you will be able to choose what to import. It will import it and make your new OS install exactly like your old one. I used it when I got my MacBook Pro because it wouldn't boot from a clone. (Not sure why. Maybe something to do with coming from a 2007 MacBook to a 2010 MacBook Pro.

Top Bottom