• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

th3dude

Futureman said:
I'm using a MacBook Pro for 3 months now and just enabled "Tap to Click" on the trackpad.

Why the HELL did I not do this earlier?
Shit I'm a few weeks in and didn't know this. This in the settings?

Futureman

What's a good alarm clock program?

Sometimes I use iCal and do an event that plays an .mp3, but it's annoying and flaked on me once. What do to you guys use?

LCfiner

Futureman said:

Sometimes I use iCal and do an event that plays an .mp3, but it's annoying and flaked on me once. What do to you guys use?

I got Awaken as part of a bundle deal once. works well for me.

Pachimari

I succesfully re-installed the whole operating system, thanks guys!

Anyway, the problem remains. Having installed iTunes X on my Mac Mini, I connect my iPhone 4 and go to the 'Apps' panel to add/remove apps. It's here, that iTunes X crashes and does everytime. There's no trouble with the other panels like books, photos, music, info etc.

How can I fix this? =/

Edit:
I read people got the same problem here:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2571176&start=15&tstart=0

It seems Apple has to fix this. A quick solution would apparently be to sync the iPhone and clicking on the 'Apps' tab at the same time.

tsigo

Futureman said:

If all you want is something to play music to wake you up, I really like Alarm Clock 2

- Fades up the volume gradually
- Press Enter to turn off, any other key to sleep
- Lets you assign the duration of the sleep timer

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Anastacio said:
I succesfully re-installed the whole operating system, thanks guys!

Anyway, the problem remains. Having installed iTunes X on my Mac Mini, I connect my iPhone 4 and go to the 'Apps' panel to add/remove apps. It's here, that iTunes X crashes and does everytime. There's no trouble with the other panels like books, photos, music, info etc.

How can I fix this? =/

Edit:
I read people got the same problem here:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2571176&start=15&tstart=0

It seems Apple has to fix this. A quick solution would apparently be to sync the iPhone and clicking on the 'Apps' tab at the same time.

Maybe the issue is with your iphone? I don't have any problems, but I am not running a mac mini.

:/

have you tried calling Apple about this issue?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Backup gurus, need your help.

I have my iPhoto library on my MBP. I back up my MBP with time machine, plus an offsite super duper clone as often as I remember.

However, for my photos (probably my most important and irreplaceable files) i'd like to back them up separately. I don't want to just backup the iPhoto file, as it's massive and every time I change or import one photo, i'd have to backup the entire file again.

Are any of the usual suspects (superduper, CCC) capable of smartly backing up files inside packages? And back them up to a network location? Don't want to be backing up 20GB all the time

Jasoco

Banned
No.. The iPhoto database is a package. Not a database. It is a folder full of files. Backup utilities will only backup changed files. (rsync capable ones at least.) Including the iPhoto database. I suggest CCC because I like it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm trying chronosync with 'disect packages' which should dive into the package and only sync changes, so incremental syncs should be quicker.

Jasoco

Banned
None of them will backup the entire thing anyway if only one file is changed. Packages are just folders. If you change one folder in you Home, would you want to backup your entire Users folder? There's no difference with a package unless the program is really really stupid.

Dabanton

Futureman said:
I'm using a MacBook Pro for 3 months now and just enabled "Tap to Click" on the trackpad.

Why the HELL did I not do this earlier?

Haha i only did this 2 weeks ago it's made browsing in bed whilst my GF is sleeping much easier as i'm not constantly clicking the trackpad.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I used to hate tap to click, but just like Dabanton, I enabled it so as not to annoy my wife with my nighttime browsing in bed. It feels really odd going back to click now.

Foov

I've been using my macbook pro for the last couple months, really like it so far, very quick and snappy system, great matte screen - quick question: every now and then expose seems to just totally stop working, and the only way I can get it back is to use "killall Dock" command to reset the dock - is this a normal thing that just happens? Or is there potentially something funny about my system?

Karud

No, that is definitely not normal!

I have another question: My Mac does not go to sleep anymore (auto energy save mode - everything else works just fine). I deleted the com.apple.PowerManagement.plist file and restarted but the easy way doesn't work this time. tips?

somnific

Karud said:
No, that is definitely not normal!

I have another question: My Mac does not go to sleep anymore (auto energy save mode - everything else works just fine). I deleted the com.apple.PowerManagement.plist file and restarted but the easy way doesn't work this time. tips?

i have had this problem forever. what i've discovered after extensive research and testing that there could be several things keeping your computer up. i've found that keeping flash up in a firefox window can keep your computer awake. also, some applications and monitoring tools installed for using a printer (in my instance, it is an HP application suite) keeps your computer up.

it might have changed since i spent time researching all this (it bugged the crap out of me so much that i spent several days troubleshooting) and unfortunately some of the stuff is required for my work so i couldn't just get rid of the interfering issues. what i've used however is an application called PleaseSleep which forced my computer to sleep as dictated by your Energy Saver settings. PS used in conjunction with Caffeine has served me well, besides having two extra applications running and the horrible PS icon in the menubar.

Jasoco

Banned
I get that too occasionally. Only since Snow Leopard and only about 3 times at the most in the past year. Exposé will just suddenly die. But thankfully since most of that stuff is handled by the Dock killing the Dock will fix any problems. But it's weird. I think they make the Dock do too much. All those systems should be handled separately and killable independently.

hirokazu

somnific said:
i have had this problem forever. what i've discovered after extensive research and testing that there could be several things keeping your computer up. i've found that keeping flash up in a firefox window can keep your computer awake. also, some applications and monitoring tools installed for using a printer (in my instance, it is an HP application suite) keeps your computer up.

it might have changed since i spent time researching all this (it bugged the crap out of me so much that i spent several days troubleshooting) and unfortunately some of the stuff is required for my work so i couldn't just get rid of the interfering issues. what i've used however is an application called PleaseSleep which forced my computer to sleep as dictated by your Energy Saver settings. PS used in conjunction with Caffeine has served me well, besides having two extra applications running and the horrible PS icon in the menubar.
My Mac doesn't sleep if Firefox is running, LOL. But yeah, experiment with quitting apps and background monitoring tools to see what's preventing it from sleeping.

I got that Exposé bug occasionally before. Very infrequent though. At least killall Dock has minimal impact, only major downside is all the minimized and hidden windows are restored to the desktop.

tsigo

hirokazu said:
My Mac doesn't sleep if Firefox is running, LOL. But yeah, experiment with quitting apps and background monitoring tools to see what's preventing it from sleeping.

I got that Exposé bug occasionally before. Very infrequent though. At least killall Dock has minimal impact, only major downside is all the minimized and hidden windows are restored to the desktop.

I used to get that in the 5.x version of Chrome - I think it was from an errant Flash container blocking the screensaver/sleep. I used to have to Force Quit (not just Quit) Chrome for it to go back to normal. The 6.x version of Chrome seemed to fix this, but it wouldn't surprise me if Firefox had the same problem.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Just a warning, iTunes 10.0.1 kills the useful Genius Sidebar for the new
useless
Ping Sidebar:

61H9t.jpg

More Ping junk is also included:

rA7W1.png

nOt1rl.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I just bought a 20" C2D 2.0 aluminum iMac for $500 on craigslist. Not bad. At that price, I'm happy. Much better than dropping the $1500 on the 27" i5 I wanted. I'll get one of those eventually but for now, this 20" is great. I'm glad I made the switch to OSX.

Now, if only OneNote were available...

X-Frame

Taking out the OPTION to use the Genius Sidebar is absolutely ridiculous. Even if you disable Ping or never activate it, Ping is still everywhere.

LCfiner

X-Frame said:
Taking out the OPTION to use the Genius Sidebar is absolutely ridiculous. Even if you disable Ping or never activate it, Ping is still everywhere.

woooow. this is confirmed?

I can’t believe I’m about to do this but, well, I’m not updating. :lol

Genius Sidebar makes a lot of sense. why would they completely dump it?

Sean

Banned
They also got rid of the little show in iTunes store button when you click on a song.

It's still there but listed under a Ping button, so now it takes an extra click (and a bit of reading). Meh.

X-Frame

Yeah, they completely scrapped it - which is pretty crazy you know .. a feature that introduces me to music that I might like and BUY from APPLE .. instead I could potentially see what Katy Perry is posting about in my iTunes .. SO USEFUL.

Lol.

I know they're getting a crap load of hate and criticism about this from everywhere so I expect the Genius Sidebar to return in the next update for sure. What a dumb decision.

X-Frame said:
Yeah, they completely scrapped it - which is pretty crazy you know .. a feature that introduces me to music that I might like and BUY from APPLE .. instead I could potentially see what Katy Perry is posting about in my iTunes .. SO USEFUL.

Lol.

I know they're getting a crap load of hate and criticism about this from everywhere so I expect the Genius Sidebar to return in the next update for sure. What a dumb decision.
This assumes they don't have data about how often that thing was used anyway.

I never used it, and I assumed no one else did either. Actually, I'm often surprised when I find people that use iTunes for music at all.

This Ping button is a bit silly. It should be given its own column so I can turn off the column and never see it again.

hirokazu

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
This assumes they don't have data about how often that thing was used anyway.

I never used it, and I assumed no one else did either. Actually, I'm often surprised when I find people that use iTunes for music at all.

This Ping button is a bit silly. It should be given its own column so I can turn off the column and never see it again.
Well, they're replacing a sidebar that hardly anyone used with another sidebar that hardly anyone will use. :lol

Ping is failing just like all of Google's social efforts. I think what Apple should've learnt from Google is that you can't just try to force a social network onto people by putting it everywhere whether people like it or not, and expect people to start loving and using it instead of hating it.

At least by iTunes 12, all mention of Ping will be gone after it's shit down, right? ;)

Jasoco

Banned
On the bright side, you can now LIKE a song you didn't buy from the iTunes Store. As long as A) it exists on the iTMS and B) it is named correctly. Hallelujah! Praise be Jebus!

Also, I kinda believe in the power of Apple and think in time Ping could become something if they keep up with it and integrate it more. Shame the FaceBook deal fell through. Still..

Jasoco said:
On the bright side, you can now LIKE a song you didn't buy from the iTunes Store. As long as A) it exists on the iTMS and B) it is named correctly. Hallelujah! Praise be Jebus!

Also, I kinda believe in the power of Apple and think in time Ping could become something if they keep up with it and integrate it more. Shame the FaceBook deal fell through. Still..
Their first order of business as far as integration goes (well, second, seeing as they already tried and failed with Facebook) should be to integrate with Game Center. It makes no sense to launch two social networks so close to each other and not integrate them, especially since the music store and the app store are both part of iTunes.

cooljeanius said:
Their first order of business as far as integration goes (well, second, seeing as they already tried and failed with Facebook) should be to integrate with Game Center. It makes no sense to launch two social networks so close to each other and not integrate them, especially since the music store and the app store are both part of iTunes.
There's no socialness at all in Game Center. It's just an achievement and matchmaking service.

Jasoco

Banned
Also, none of games I own, NONE of them, support it yet. And I own so many of the popular ones! Angry Birds, Bejewelled, Trism, Edge, Luxor, Tiki Totems, Finger Physics, Implode!, Jelly Car, SimCity, The Simpsons Arcade, geoFighter, DOOM, Uno and a whole bunch more. And none of them work with it yet.

Most of them do use OpenFeint and one (Angry Birds) uses some shitty system called Crystal, but none will support, even side-by-side, the system built-into the OS. I know it takes time, but I'd have thought one of them would have updated by now. And some of them have updated. Just not to include Game Center.

What gives? Does Apple have to make it another rule that all "game" apps must integrate Game Center, even if they also integrate third party systems? Personally, I think Apple should have just bought OpenFeint and renamed it Game Center since so many games use it already and I'm sure the Feint people would have liked piles of money.

Edit: Just checked for updates and two games updated, Pocket God and Sunday Lawn, but neither once again is using Game Center. *sigh* Are game companies just not interested?

I can tell you SimCity won't be updated, it's not even on the App Store anymore. Angry Birds will be updated I know for sure as well.

Companies are interested, I'm sure it's just a matter of time much like Trophies on PS3 games.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
There's no socialness at all in Game Center. It's just an achievement and matchmaking service.
It lets you have friends on it. They should have a way that lets you bring your friends/followers from one service to the other.

Jasoco

Banned
thewesker said:
I can tell you SimCity won't be updated, it's not even on the App Store anymore. Angry Birds will be updated I know for sure as well.

Companies are interested, I'm sure it's just a matter of time much like Trophies on PS3 games.
Yeah, Sim City (The old one) has been replaced by a newer version. I only got the first one because it was on sale and it's awesome. But I won't buy the new one unless it goes on sale because they changed the UI color. Ugly shade of green? What was wrong with the blue that has been a staple of Sim City since 3000? Also, not that I have an iPad, but why no iPad version? Sim City is MADE for an iPad! But that's a rant for somewhere else. Isn't this the OS X thread?

I'm just so anal retentive about updates. I check almost every day in hopes one of my apps is updated. Same with the OS and all my software. :lol

ant1532

Banned
UGH. I spilled a very little bit of water on my tackpad and quickly dried it but now its acting up!!! its only responsive now if i jam-click it now. CAN SOMEONE HELP ME FIX?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
ant1532 said:
UGH. I spilled a very little bit of water on my tackpad and quickly dried it but now its acting up!!! its only responsive now if i jam-click it now. CAN SOMEONE HELP ME FIX?
How are we supposed to help you fix water damage?

If it were a cell phone, stick it in a bag of rice. But a laptop? ...stick it in a bag of rice.

Top Bottom