• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Jasoco

Banned
I forget, did you buy it new, or was it used from someone else?

jts said:
Just send a note saying "if in need to (re-)install Lion, just spend 30 bucks on the mac app store, you cheap ass you!"
I would install Lion once. But create a sample user with an easy password and give the new owner the following instructions. The password to the new name. Tell them how to create a new user, and tell them to buy Lion if they ever have to reinstall and that it's only $30. Since it seems you can't just provide a CD with the machine anymore. I assume they could even reinstall it from the Recovery partition the second they receive it. But would it ask for them to buy it I assume? I never tried it. I think Apple's concern would be more "We want everyone up to date" and less "No! If you want to be up to date, you must pay us lots of money!" like Microsoft.

Another option is to install and have it create the Recovery. Then erase the disk so there's no OS and it will be forced to boot into the Recovery where they can reinstall it themselves fresh. I believe this is Apple's intention.

Digishine

Banned
CrudeDiatribe said:
I don't think you can buy Lion if you're on a Mac with Lion. It will just say "installed", much like other software that is installed even if you never purchased it on the Mac App Store (Aperture 3 and some games in my case, which I bought retail/mail-order).

If selling it, you should boot off the media the Mac shipped with, wipe the drive (7-way pass if paranoid, 32 if paranoid & patient), and reinstall that OS.

If you're including a retail copy of a later OS, then it's OK to install that.

U can buy lion in the app store even if you're on a Mac with lion. U only need to hold Alt key

123rl

It's working now. Not sure what caused it but I unplugged everything, plugged it back in, and it's ok. Very strange but at least it's ok

No_Style

I just got my Macbook Air and I'm looking for some application equivalents or alternatives:

• Paint.net - Image editor that suits my needs for light image editing
  • XnView - There is XnView for Mac OS X, but is there an alternative?

Thanks for your help!

No_Style said:
I just got my Macbook Air and I'm looking for some application equivalents or alternatives:

• Paint.net - Image editor that suits my needs for light image editing
• Paintbrush is probably the closest thing to a basic paint program
• The GIMP if you want something a little more powerful
• Seashore if you want a version of the GIMP with a more OSX-y interface
• Pixen if you want to focus on pixel art

tsigo

cooljeanius said:
• Paintbrush is probably the closest thing to a basic paint program
• The GIMP if you want something a little more powerful
• Seashore if you want a version of the GIMP with a more OSX-y interface
• Pixen if you want to focus on pixel art

If you want something more like Photoshop but still simple to use, there's Pixelmator or Acorn.

tsigo

Is there an easy way, without reformatting, to delete all files on the time machine drive that are no longer on my active drive?

Futureman

I just bought an iMac.

I have a MBP from last year that I want to transfer the data from. Thing is... the MBP is on 10.7 and the iMac is from Best Buy so it still has 10.6.

Do I setup the iMac first, get the free update from the app store, and then do the transfer? Where do you access the transfer, as I thought it was a step of the initial setup?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Just a question relating to SSD's - I've heard only the Apple-supplied SSD's support TRIM on Lion. Is this true? Prices seem to be dropping a bit on SSD so I wouldn't mind picking one up, but I'm sure as hell not paying Apple's prices :p

Futureman said:
Do I setup the iMac first, get the free update from the app store, and then do the transfer? Where do you access the transfer, as I thought it was a step of the initial setup?

I'd upgrade the iMac to 10.7 first, then transfer. "Migration Assistant" is the application you're looking for, it's in /Applications/Utilities.

Futureman

Had to move back to Snow Leopard on my new iMac and the opposite scrolling is messing me up, ha. I guess the new way is more natural, so it was easy to adapt to quickly, and now the old way feels weird.

Went with the 27" iMac, gonna sell my 2010 MBP. Downloading free Lion update now.

Gaaraz

Having big problems with my girlfriends Macbook, the latest (and thankfully last) one to come out...

It just disconnects every 30 minutes or so you and have to manually right click the Wi-Fi button and reconnect.
Can anyone please help with this, and tell me why it keeps doing this? I have a Thomson BeBox if that makes any odds, which is a pretty good router by all accounts.

Over the years, my 2007 Macbook has started running insanely hot. So I've bought some high-end termal paste and plan to apply that and do a big cleaning of the insides of the machine.

But is there anything I can do on the hardware side to lessen the load on my fans/machine as whole? Any good maintenance or clean-up programs?

(also, where the hell can I get a new fan for an old Macbook?)

btkadams

hey guys, i already asked this earlier in the thread but it was overlooked. is parallels worth the cash? i have windows 7 and wish to run diablo2, starcraft1, rollercoaster tycoon 2 (among other old pc games). i really like the idea of having everything integrated but not if the performance is really shitty. i know the games would run fine in parallels but i might decide to do other things with it and i'd rather not have the windows ui chugging or glitching. i have a new macbook pro 2.3ghz quadcore i7 with 8gb of ram btw. is the current parallels a fairly lean program? does it have a lot of bugs or is everything really smooth?

Jasoco

Banned
btkadams said:
hey guys, i already asked this earlier in the thread but it was overlooked. is parallels worth the cash? i have windows 7 and wish to run diablo2, starcraft1, rollercoaster tycoon 2 (among other old pc games). i really like the idea of having everything integrated but not if the performance is really shitty. i know the games would run fine in parallels but i might decide to do other things with it and i'd rather not have the windows ui chugging or glitching. i have a new macbook pro 2.3ghz quadcore i7 with 8gb of ram btw. is the current parallels a fairly lean program? does it have a lot of bugs or is everything really smooth?
Smooth like butter. Especially in Coherence mode.

btkadams

Jasoco said:
Smooth like butter. Especially in Coherence mode.
have you had any issues with lion and parallels? i saw on the website that they are working on supporting lion features in parallels. is that going to be in the current version (as in, if i buy now will my version be updated for free to support those features when they are available)?

Jasoco

Banned
btkadams said:
have you had any issues with lion and parallels? i saw on the website that they are working on supporting lion features in parallels. is that going to be in the current version (as in, if i buy now will my version be updated for free to support those features when they are available)?
Parallels works fine in Lion. The features they're talking about are Lion-specific things like fullscreen and such. Windows even adopts your inverted scrolling if you have it turned on and has since Snow Leopard with ScrollReverser.
It works 100% fine.

They posted about an update in Parallels Support. It's coming. I'm looking forward to having Windows in its own Fullscreen Space with a swipe between it and OS X.

btkadams

Jasoco said:
Parallels works fine in Lion. The features they're talking about are Lion-specific things like fullscreen and such. Windows even adopts your inverted scrolling if you have it turned on and has since Snow Leopard with ScrollReverser.
It works 100% fine.

They posted about an update in Parallels Support. It's coming. I'm looking forward to having Windows in its own Fullscreen Space with a swipe between it and OS X.
thanks! i'll check out the trial tonight and see if i like it.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I posted this in the Lion thread, didn't get a response.

Ever since I installed Windows 7 via Bootcamp on my Macbook Pro, Time Machine backups take forever. It keeps freezing at around 250 K or so. I deleted the Bootcamp partition (I already have a Windows PC, so no worries), but still the same problems. What's causing the problem? (I'm using a 1TB Western Digital external drive for backups).

cacophony

Anybody have any recommendations for a case for a Macbook 13 that I can put in my backpack for school? And I'm sure the answer is yes, but leaving it in there while it's on while walking around is fine right?

cacophony said:
Anybody have any recommendations for a case for a Macbook 13 that I can put in my backpack for school? And I'm sure the answer is yes, but leaving it in there while it's on while walking around is fine right?
Definitely fine. I never turn mine off when I'm out.

Oyashiro

My brother has a MacBook running on Leopard. I wanna update it to Snow Leopard, but heres the problem

I dont have a flash drive big enough to fit the SL image, and his DVD drive doesnt work.

So is it possible for me to update him without either of those two things?

jts

...hate me...
Oyashiro said:
My brother has a MacBook running on Leopard. I wanna update it to Snow Leopard, but heres the problem

I dont have a flash drive big enough to fit the SL image, and his DVD drive doesnt work.

So is it possible for me to update him without either of those two things?
I think you can install Snow Leopard using the Remote Disk feature, i.e., borrowing an optical drive from another Mac/PC over the network.

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah, you can definitely do that. I don't know how fast it'll be though. You could also spend $9 and buy an 8GB Flash Drive.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
does iTunes force me to have all my content in one place? For the first time I'm trying to have my content on my NAS, so just referencing it on my computer and unchecking 'copy files to iTunes folder' but keeping 'keep organised' checked.

But on my NAS I have a 'music' drive/folder, a 'media' folder which has backups of my iOS and osx apps, and separate TV and Movies folders.

How do I set that up in iTunes properly? I want it ideally to automatically update when I add things to those folders, and also when I buy something from iTunes I want it copied onto the NAS in the correct folder too. Doable?

teamaxe

mrklaw said:
How do I set that up in iTunes properly? I want it ideally to automatically update when I add things to those folders, and also when I buy something from iTunes I want it copied onto the NAS in the correct folder too. Doable?

You need to tell iTunes where your media folder is in Preferences. You can point it to a mounted drive, and it will look for things there, and it will put purchases there. I ran this config for a couple of years on all the laptops in my house. You can only tell it root location, though, and then it will split out all the media types itself (movies, podcasts, apps, etc.). Make sure you backup your iTunes Library and xml, though, before you attempt this incase you screw it up.

I finally switched over to all local iTunes libraries and content when we all got laptops that could hold our entire libraries. It's a lot simpler to manage this way.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't have one root folder where everything branches off. I have separate folders/mapped drives, and the content is already in there. Sounds not ideal.

was thinking to set up the main iTunes library on the mac mini, so its available 24/7 for wifi sync etc. Then set up home sharing and just access that library from other computers around the house.

Jasoco

Banned
All my main music goes in my Music folder directly on my SSD. But I have "Copy to library" turned off so if I drag something in from outside, it stays there. (I rarely do this though) And I utilize iTunes' "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder that they put in the Music folder too. Anything dropped in there while iTunes is running is moved to the right place automatically.

I think iTunes only automatically organizes the music in proper folders if they are inside the Library folder. Anything outside can be kept wherever you want it.

So no, iTunes does not require you to keep everything in one place. If a file is missing though, like a drive is disconnected, it will mark it as missing. I don't know if it unmarks it when it comes back, but probably safe to not try to play something when you know it's not connected.

Cudder

Man, I remember years ago when I was really heavily interested in customizing my MBP, and I researched how to do everything, and it took me like 2 months to finally get everything how I wanted. I'm not like that anymore, but looking at this sweet screenshot I to ok from back then makes me want to spend the time to make it look like this again! Surely it would take me another 2 months because I forgot how I did everything haha.

Screenshot2010-02-03at13802PM.png

NYR

Guys,

Having a problem with Safari.

For some reason, my Bookmarks kind of reset. The logos that normally appear next to my bookmarks reset, they are all now blue globes rather then the actual logos of the website in question. In the below example, I'm talking about the New York Time "T" logo or the "B" for the boston link:

02-Bookmarks-Menu-Alt.png

I didn't make any changes or setting adjustments, and I cannot get them to re-appear or reset. When I visit the sites in question, the logos still do not appear, just a globe.

I can get the logos to show up in Firefox without issue.

NYR

NYR said:
Guys,

Having a problem with Safari.

For some reason, my Bookmarks kind of reset. The logos that normally appear next to my bookmarks reset, they are all now blue globes rather then the actual logos of the website in question. In the below example, I'm talking about the New York Time "T" logo or the "B" for the boston link:

02-Bookmarks-Menu-Alt.png

I didn't make any changes or setting adjustments, and I cannot get them to re-appear or reset. When I visit the sites in question, the logos still do not appear, just a globe.

I can get the logos to show up in Firefox without issue.
Never mind. Figured it out. Deleted the webpageicons.db file under ~\Library\Safari.

deim0s

Need some guidance.

For some reason, browsers (Saf/FF/Chrome) on my user account stop playing videos on some sites (say gametrailers.com), but plays flash video fine on youtube or vimeo. I've tried creating a test account and it plays on the fresh account.

I've also tried running my VMs, flash video plays there as well. Tried resetting and deleting my network preferences/little snitch rules on this user account, still the problem remains.

Would love to do a fresh install but right now, it ain't possible - due current projects. I'm on 10.6.8 and updated version of Flash. Anyone have an idea?

Help.

I've had a couple of blackouts over the last month.

My Macbook pro is April 2010 i5, never had any issues with it but the last month or so it has been running very hot. A couple of times blacked out the screen, but still kept running so I've had to manually shutdown.

Today, I uninstalled all the programs I've installed in the last month, and all programs I hardly use. At the moment it feels really hot:

I use istat nano and it gives these numbers:

HD 37º
CPU A 59º
GPU 54º
Heatsink B 51º
Enclosure 40º
Memory 62º

Are these numbers big? I've moved from Britain to Korea in the last year so summer temperatures are a lot higher. Is it just a consequence of the hot summer? Or is there something I should check?

Because I've had it for a year and a half should I be cleaning it up in some way?

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Quick Question:

How do you import old messages from an Old Snow Leopard Time Machine backup onto the New Lion Mail 5.0?

One more thing, how come Mail has taken up close to 10GB of HD space while it was importing messages? I know I do not have 10 GB worth of emails, but each time it was importing my messages to the new Mail 5 it would double the number of actual emails I had.

Thanks!

Anteater

damn, just found out about Simple Comic, it actually adds a quicklook plugin that lets you browse archives from Finder without opening the files =O

Need to rename the zip to cbz though, but I may as well just to be more organized!

hirokazu

deim0s said:
Need some guidance.

For some reason, browsers (Saf/FF/Chrome) on my user account stop playing videos on some sites (say gametrailers.com), but plays flash video fine on youtube or vimeo. I've tried creating a test account and it plays on the fresh account.

I've also tried running my VMs, flash video plays there as well. Tried resetting and deleting my network preferences/little snitch rules on this user account, still the problem remains.

Would love to do a fresh install but right now, it ain't possible - due current projects. I'm on 10.6.8 and updated version of Flash. Anyone have an idea?
Probably look for Flash related preferences in ~/Library/ and delete them.

OSX saved my ass yet again. Fuck maybe I need to buy another Mac, perhaps a cheaper MBP.

If you have FIOS, you know the routers are POS. Well, my router decided to die for the third fucking time Friday afternoon. As a result, not even overnight delivery would get here in time.

So I honestly thought I was fucked. Went out with my gf and came back home lamenting a weeking of using the 3G on my iPhone. My sister comes and tells me "hey stupid, I got the internet working by plugging straight into the wall."

As soon as she said that I facepalmed. INTERNET SHARING!

After about 5 minutes of effort, I am proudly typing from my Windows PC. I'm connected through her laptop using it as a network bridge. I believe you can do this on a Windows 7 PC easily now too, but damn what a great feature. I am set until the new one comes on Monday.

Ashhong

The_Inquisitor said:
OSX saved my ass yet again. Fuck maybe I need to buy another Mac, perhaps a cheaper MBP.

If you have FIOS, you know the routers are POS. Well, my router decided to die for the third fucking time Friday afternoon. As a result, not even overnight delivery would get here in time.

So I honestly thought I was fucked. Went out with my gf and came back home lamenting a weeking of using the 3G on my iPhone. My sister comes and tells me "hey stupid, I got the internet working by plugging straight into the wall."

As soon as she said that I facepalmed. INTERNET SHARING!

After about 5 minutes of effort, I am proudly typing from my Windows PC. I'm connected through her laptop using it as a network bridge. I believe you can do this on a Windows 7 PC easily now too, but damn what a great feature. I am set until the new one comes on Monday.

First off, yea, Windows does that just as easily.

Secondly, would you have died if you had no internet for 1 weekend? lol (unless you really had something important to do, then yea, thats a relief)

bionic77

julls said:
Just a question relating to SSD's - I've heard only the Apple-supplied SSD's support TRIM on Lion. Is this true? Prices seem to be dropping a bit on SSD so I wouldn't mind picking one up, but I'm sure as hell not paying Apple's prices :p
This is true. Supposedly some SSDs (like OWC) have built in safeguards so that you don't need to worry about performance loss over time. But that comes at the price of space (they allot a good chunk of space to achieve this, so for example my SSD has the weird space of 115 gigs).

I would go for it anyways. Night and day in computer performance.

Seeing all of the SSD questions should someone make a separate SSD thread?

Gaaraz

Gaaraz said:
Having big problems with my girlfriends Macbook, the latest one to come out...

It just disconnects every 30 minutes or so you and have to manually right click the Wi-Fi button and reconnect.
Can anyone please help with this, and tell me why it keeps doing this? I have a Thomson BeBox if that makes any odds, which is a pretty good router by all accounts.
Bump, please - anyone know why it does this? Very annoying, especially since the laptop's most common use is iPlayer!

RDreamer

Gaaraz said:
Having big problems with my girlfriends Macbook, the latest (and thankfully last) one to come out...

My Macbook Pro did that for a long time. It worked fine on a lot of other networks, but on mine it just sucked and I had to manually disconnect and reconnect with the Wi-Fi thing like you did every time it disconnected (which could get down to ever 5-10 minutes sometimes). I bought a new router and it's worked fine ever since. Only time it disconnects is when the entire wi-fi network goes down.

Top Bottom