• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Jasoco

Banned
I only open it to look for big files I don't need or see where my space is going. It's not something you keep open all the time.

Also, I believe Private is where the Sleepimage is kept. I have mine disabled so my Private is only 2GB. Yours is 6, so I assume you have 4GB RAM? Am I correct?

Is DaisyDisk showing file sizes in the old style or the Snow Leopard style?

Also, in GrandPerspective, you can turn on "Show unused space" in the drawer. It should show black for empty space and grey for "miscellaneous" stuff the system needs.

Is there to stop apps from starting when I reboot my computer? I go back and forth between Lion and Windows 7, and because I'm too lazy to quit my applications when I go into Boot Camp, they all open at the same time when I go back to OS X. Is there a way to have them open minimized?

mrkgoo

Leona Lewis said:
Is there to stop apps from starting when I reboot my computer? I go back and forth between Lion and Windows 7, and because I'm too lazy to quit my applications when I go into Boot Camp, they all open at the same time when I go back to OS X. Is there a way to have them open minimized?

When you leave, it should ask you if you want to reopen the last apps you have open.

I'm not sure what happens with bootcamp, though.

In system preferences, under user accounts, there's a list of all the apps that you have set to auto load on login, and you can also set them to hide if you want.

I'll finally have my MBP tomorrow after one month of waiting. What should I do when I get it? What (free) apps should I download? I'm new to the Mac world, so...

Tattooth

I am getting a macbook air next month and going from an almost full 500gb HDD to a 128gb SDD means I need to do something about moving all stuff to something else.

It's mostly ripped DVDs so I was thinking about a server (no idea how to go about doing that), or a wireless external hard drive. Does anyone here have any experience with wireless hard drives, since all the ones I've seen have very mixed reviews.

EDIT: How about this, Buffalo Linkstation?

Jasoco

Banned
I prefer the server route. Of course I also bought a Mac mini to act as the server. But it's a lot more flexible if you have the money.

I have a late 2008 aluminium macbook and im thinking if buying more ram sine Lion seems to be memory hungry. How much memory do you guys recommend me? 4 or 8g?? i just use it to watch movies, browse the net...

Patrick Bateman said:
Does anyone know shortcuts on MacOS how I could do arrows pointing up or down in Open Office? Putting or painting them in OO is so slow..

Arrows like this → just up- or downwards.

Anyone? It's a real chore right now.

a question

I have filmed some stuff while on my last fishing trip and imported it into the movie editor that comes with a macbook pro.

while watching the video on the laptop it looks super crisp and nice as HD should.
but after importing it and editing it on the macbook it just looks bad, most defenetly not HD.

I have used the highest setting for importing the video and also when publishing it on youtube from the macbook pro program.

here is the link to the video and its grainy as hell compared to what it looks like on the movie file that is on the macbook( the version that has not been imported to the movie editor)

Youtube clip

Any idea on what is causing this ?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Tattooth said:
I am getting a macbook air next month and going from an almost full 500gb HDD to a 128gb SDD means I need to do something about moving all stuff to something else.

It's mostly ripped DVDs so I was thinking about a server (no idea how to go about doing that), or a wireless external hard drive. Does anyone here have any experience with wireless hard drives, since all the ones I've seen have very mixed reviews.

EDIT: How about this, Buffalo Linkstation?

NAS is ok but those little ones will be a pain to update when you outgrow them. A mac mini makes a fantastic server and HTPC. 2009 onwards will have GPU acceleration for 1080p goodness, and you should be able to get a decent used one as people upgrade to the new one.

Then just use the internal drive, and when you need expansion, stick a USB drive out the back.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've just started using mail and its pretty good so I'll stick with it for a while, but I'd like recommendations on a good notifier.

trying growl mail which is nice and integrated with growl so consistent with other apps. But it seems to pop up a window for every new mail, can't work out how to get it to just give a summary if I get say 5 mails, but show the actual mail if I only get one.

Then Herald looks nice and lets me respond to mails directly (mainly good for deleting marketing fluff I think). But it uses its own notification windows so won't be quite as consistent as my other apps that use growl. BTW does 'delete' in herald act as 'archive' for gmail content in mail?

or mail.appetizer?

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Mac OSX is so good. I don't think I will ever revert to windows.
In fact, I'm gonna start saving up to make sure I have enough money to buy a mac, should I ever need to.

bionic77

Starchasing said:
I have a late 2008 aluminium macbook and im thinking if buying more ram sine Lion seems to be memory hungry. How much memory do you guys recommend me? 4 or 8g?? i just use it to watch movies, browse the net...
Ram is so cheap right now that it doesn't make sense to cheap out on it. Max out whatever your notebook can handle. Plus it is so easy to swap out the ram on the unibody Macs.

ZZMitch

Hey guys I have an issue with my wifi connections and I am stumped!

The Macbook Pro 15inch that I bought a few weeks ago randomly was not able to connect to the internet today. It says it is connected, and the wifi icon on the top bar shows that it is connected. But I am not able to connect to the internet. I thought it was my router, but I reset it and it still won't connect. My mom's Mac Mini can also connect to the wireless just fine. I ran my Macbook Pro on bootcamp in Windows 7 and was also not able to connect there. Anyone got any ideas?

I ran the network diagnostics application and got red lights on internet and server.

raphier

Banned
I got recently a mini mac with these stupid problems I want to fix, so I hope this thread is right place for it, as I consider myself quite early mac adopter.

For starters, The OS stopped booting properly. It now boots into an empty, blue-colored screen with working mouse and nothing else! wtF? What am I supposed to do?

Secondly I tried to use DVD recovery disk, but it doesn't run at all and now I can't unload the tray. I noticed thatr mac has no manual button for unload, wtf?!!

More about the issue: The loading times are long and I've read some quick notes about forcing the tray to open, which do not appear to work. I've tried to use F12 method, Mouse hold and shift, none of these help and none of the other commands work, so this must be keyboard issue.

Guys, I'm worried. I tried installing a windows partition, but I forgot to format it as NTFS. The windows 7 installer alerted me that this was the case, so I restarted my computer. Problem is, when I start it up (with the disc out) it loads to what looks like a DOS prompt saying there us "no bootable device." What the hell do I do now? I tried putting in one of my OSX discs in and it did nothing. I'm scared.

goomba

Banned
Jimmy Stav said:
Guys, I'm worried. I tried installing a windows partition, but I forgot to format it as NTFS. The windows 7 installer alerted me that this was the case, so I restarted my computer. Problem is, when I start it up (with the disc out) it loads to what looks like a DOS prompt saying there us "no bootable device." What the hell do I do now? I tried putting in one of my OSX discs in and it did nothing. I'm scared.

Shutdown your computer. Turn it back on and hold the "Option" button which should give you an option to boot from your Macintosh HD, Bootcamp or the OS X Disk (if its in the drive).

You can format the drive as NTFS when installing Windows (the part before the whole installing/expanding Windows files, etc.). This happens after you boot into Windows the first time and do setup, and then install the Boot Camp drivers.

Leona Lewis said:
You can format the drive as NTFS when installing Windows (the part before the whole installing/expanding Windows files, etc.). This happens after you boot into Windows the first time and do setup, and then install the Boot Camp drivers.

But when I chose the "Boot Camp" partition, the installer said I couldn't install there because it's Fat 32. What should I do?

Oh, so you haven't installed Windows yet. You have to go into Disk Utility (just type that into Spotlight) and format the BOOTCAMP drive as a MS-DOS compatible drive.

Leona Lewis said:
Oh, so you haven't installed Windows yet. You have to go into Disk Utility (just type that into Spotlight) and format the BOOTCAMP drive as a MS-DOS compatible drive.

Is 32 the minimum size for NTFS? I remember there being a limit, and I can't seem to find any information about it.

EDIT: It must be more than 32, as it's only giving me the option for FAT32...

EDIT 2: Nevermind, I figured it out.

Alright, another question:

How do I get my Macbook Pro running Windows 7 to recognize an external monitor? I have it plugged in, and it isn't showing up in the dropdown menu. And I'm trying this from an early-08 Core 2 Duo model.

bionic77

Might be a better question for the iPhone4 thread, but they seem more obsessed with sales and shit so I will give it a shot here.

Sister just bought a MBP (me and my siblings chipped in and got it for her graduation present from Dental school). Well she has a iPhone4 that was synced to her old Windows laptop but she reformatted it after it had some unsolveable malware problem and did not backup her iTunes. I don't remember if she has jailbroken her iPhone or not, but will all of her contacts and pictures be uploaded onto her new Mac when she syncs it? She realizes that her music will be lost and doesn't care because she made a backup, but she was more concerned with the contacts and pictures she took on the phone.

Advice?

Jasoco

Banned
Image Capture.app will let you take the photos and videos off. The contacts will have to be manually entered into the computer's Address Book. Just make sure to not let iTunes automatically erase and sync it.

hirokazu

Jasoco said:
Image Capture.app will let you take the photos and videos off. The contacts will have to be manually entered into the computer's Address Book. Just make sure to not let iTunes automatically erase and sync it.
If you choose to sync your iPhone contacts with a different computer, it will ask if you want to merge the contacts on your phone with the computer, so no, you don't have to manually enter it in.

The camera roll is safe and can be retrieved from the phone using iPhoto or Image Capture, but photos synced from the other computer will be lost. There's probably some third party tool the recover it from the phone but I'm not sure if the copies on the phone may be resized and not the full original resolution.

mrkgoo

hirokazu said:
If you choose to sync your iPhone contacts with a different computer, it will ask if you want to merge the contacts on your phone with the computer, so no, you don't have to manually enter it in.

The camera roll is safe and can be retrieved from the phone using iPhoto or Image Capture, but photos synced from the other computer will be lost. There's probably some third party tool the recover it from the phone but I'm not sure if the copies on the phone may be resized and not the full original resolution.

tHis really does seem crazy. What if you have an iPhone, and the computer you sync it to goes bust, gets stolen, or you simply just get a new one, and want to sync with the new computer?

bionic77

hirokazu said:

Thanks!

I will also make her get an external HD or Time Machine and learn to start backing up her stuff so this doesn't come up in the future.

I think this will be my last question for awhile, what are the recommended settings for a 3rd party SSD on a Mac? The only setting I changed so far is HD sleep, which I disabled. So far it is lightening fast for bootup and everything else. The HD is a OWC which supposedly have extra memory to prevent slowdown in the future even without TRIM (who knows how accurate that claim is), but that isn't an option currently so I am not worried about that.

Jasoco

Banned
mrkgoo said:
tHis really does seem crazy. What if you have an iPhone, and the computer you sync it to goes bust, gets stolen, or you simply just get a new one, and want to sync with the new computer?
That's what iOS 5 is for. It'll solve everything by syncing to the cloud and attaching it all to your Apple ID.

Jasoco

Banned
bionic77 said:
Thanks!

I will also make her get an external HD or Time Machine and learn to start backing up her stuff so this doesn't come up in the future.

I think this will be my last question for awhile, what are the recommended settings for a 3rd party SSD on a Mac? The only setting I changed so far is HD sleep, which I disabled. So far it is lightening fast for bootup and everything else. The HD is a OWC which supposedly have extra memory to prevent slowdown in the future even without TRIM (who knows how accurate that claim is), but that isn't an option currently so I am not worried about that.
http://poller.se/2010/08/optimizing-mac-os-x-for-ssd-drives/

There's some tips here. But DO NOT use the NOATIME part. It actually slows the boot up down by like 20-30 seconds because it needs to unmount and remount the SSD at bootup before it even starts loading.

Also, the Spotlight thing is silly too since Spotlight is one of the best features.

The rest though are golden. Don't forget to sudo remove your sleepimage when you do set it to not create one. If you do.

Now, does anyone know how to enable TRIM in Lion for non-Apple SSD's?

bionic77

Jasoco said:
http://poller.se/2010/08/optimizing-mac-os-x-for-ssd-drives/

There's some tips here. But DO NOT use the NOATIME part. It actually slows the boot up down by like 20-30 seconds because it needs to unmount and remount the SSD at bootup before it even starts loading.

Also, the Spotlight thing is silly too since Spotlight is one of the best features.

The rest though are golden. Don't forget to sudo remove your sleepimage when you do set it to not create one. If you do.

Now, does anyone know how to enable TRIM in Lion for non-Apple SSD's?
Done, thanks.

SSD makes such a huge difference in the overall feel and speed of the computer.

Jasoco

Banned
bionic77 said:
Done, thanks.

SSD makes such a huge difference in the overall feel and speed of the computer.
You're damn right it does. I will never go back to HDD for booting and applications again. Not even a 7200RPM drive. SSD is just so awesome. They need to lower prices though. Can't believe the average price is still way too high. Hopefully the popularity of Air's and other SSD-based "Ultrabooks" will help bring the prices down.

mrkgoo

Jasoco said:
You're damn right it does. I will never go back to HDD for booting and applications again. Not even a 7200RPM drive. SSD is just so awesome. They need to lower prices though. Can't believe the average price is still way too high. Hopefully the popularity of Air's and other SSD-based "Ultrabooks" will help bring the prices down.

I actually went from the SSD Hybrid back to a 7200 rpm. It wasn't so bad, but then the hybrid was no SSD. I had a taste of it, though.

I just need the space.

ZZMitch

So, required school work apps on the App store?

I am going to get Pages, Numbers and Keynote... anything else I should get?

btkadams

sick! my university just recently made windows 7 free for university students! how is the performance of parallels? i don't like the idea of booting into windows but i used vmware fusion before with windows xp and it was really slow. should i just install it in bootcamp?

bionic77

Jasoco said:
Is TRIM pretty standard in that OS X Lion would know how to use it no matter what brand?
Has the performance started to slow down in your SSD?

I could be wrong but I don't think 3rd party SSDs are supported by Apple yet...

tigerin

i just downloaded the new os x lion through the mac app store. but then i realized something, how do i keep the os x lion on my macbook pro if i want to sell it and reinstall everything? since it's linked to my username.

hirokazu

tigerin said:
i just downloaded the new os x lion through the mac app store. but then i realized something, how do i keep the os x lion on my macbook pro if i want to sell it and reinstall everything? since it's linked to my username.
Make a bootable USB/HDD/DVD/whathaveyou from the Install app that you download, then boot off that, format and do a clean install.

If you power off the Mac when it says installation is complete, click Restart to restart the computer, the next time it's powered on, it should behave as if it was just taken out of the box and powered on for the first time.

This does raise the issue though, that since you purchased Lion and it is licensed to you for use on your computers, technically, you have no right to install it on a machine that will no longer be yours.

mrkgoo

hirokazu said:
Make a bootable USB/HDD/DVD/whathaveyou from the Install app that you download, then boot off that, format and do a clean install.

If you power off the Mac when it says installation is complete, click Restart to restart the computer, the next time it's powered on, it should behave as if it was just taken out of the box and powered on for the first time.

This does raise the issue though, that since you purchased Lion and it is licensed to you for use on your computers, technically, you have no right to install it on a machine that will no longer be yours.

bUt not just that - how would the new owner reinstall Lion should the need arise?

hirokazu

mrkgoo said:
bUt not just that - how would the new owner reinstall Lion should the need arise?
They can't, they never bought it. That's what I was getting at - if you're selling the computer, you shouldn't be installing Lion on it in the first place unless they too have bought Lion from the App Store.

jts

...hate me...
hirokazu said:
They can't, they never bought it. That's what I was getting at - if you're selling the computer, you shouldn't be installing Lion on it in the first place unless they too have bought Lion from the App Store.
Just send a note saying "if in need to (re-)install Lion, just spend 30 bucks on the mac app store, you cheap ass you!"

jts said:
Just send a note saying "if in need to (re-)install Lion, just spend 30 bucks on the mac app store, you cheap ass you!"

I don't think you can buy Lion if you're on a Mac with Lion. It will just say "installed", much like other software that is installed even if you never purchased it on the Mac App Store (Aperture 3 and some games in my case, which I bought retail/mail-order).

If selling it, you should boot off the media the Mac shipped with, wipe the drive (7-way pass if paranoid, 32 if paranoid & patient), and reinstall that OS.

If you're including a retail copy of a later OS, then it's OK to install that.

123rl

Massive problem with my new Mac Mini :( It won't boot up and just beeps once, flashes the LED once and then nothing. Any ideas or is it FUBARred? A quick check on Google suggests it's a RAM problem but apart from reseating the RAM I don't know what else to do

So I downloaded the MacPorts version of sudo, and now it's used as the default sudo command whenever I type sudo in Terminal. The problem with this is that the MacPorts version didn't come with a valid sudoers file, so now if I want to do anything with sudo, I have to type in the full "/usr/bin/sudo" each time. Anyone know how I can fix the MacPorts sudoers file, or, failing that, how I can set the sudo in /usr/bin back to being the default one?

Edit: I've already tried copying the sudoers file in /private/etc, but when I did that, it changed ownership when I put it in /opt/local/etc

shoplifter

123rl said:
Massive problem with my new Mac Mini :( It won't boot up and just beeps once, flashes the LED once and then nothing. Any ideas or is it FUBARred? A quick check on Google suggests it's a RAM problem but apart from reseating the RAM I don't know what else to do

Did you add RAM to it? Could be a bad stick.

Top Bottom