• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Anyone having a smiliar issue with mail, where it won't show the email badge in the dock when a new email comes in?

8SICDl.jpg

I've set Mail to show a badge for when there is new stuff in my inbox, so it should work.

(I haven't set it to show for All Inboxes, since it then takes with it the Gmail Imap settings, and the duplicates there, which would force me to read the same email twice in two places)

It's driving me slowly but surely crazy to constantly check in on emails.

Ashhong said:
First off, yea, Windows does that just as easily.

Secondly, would you have died if you had no internet for 1 weekend? lol (unless you really had something important to do, then yea, thats a relief)

I wouldn't say just as easily, it can be quite the pain in the ass. With Mac you literally check a box and it works.

bionic77

I am very late to the party but I would just like to say that the new Office for Mac is awesome. Program is finally fast and smooth to use (actually faster than the version I have at work).
Even really fast on my old CoreDuo (no 2 in there).

Never really used Pages so I can't compare but if you need office then this is the one to get.

So guys, I've made a bootcamp partition. But now I see that I won't have enough space. How should I approach this. Can I make the size bigger without installing any third party apps? (I hate that shit, and it's dangerous)

Or can I just delete the bootcamp partition? (Will the space that I reserved for this be added to the Mac drive automatically?)

Ashhong

eravulgaris said:
So guys, I've made a bootcamp partition. But now I see that I won't have enough space. How should I approach this. Can I make the size bigger without installing any third party apps? (I hate that shit, and it's dangerous)

Or can I just delete the bootcamp partition? (Will the space that I reserved for this be added to the Mac drive automatically?)

Use bootcamp assistant to delete the bootcamp partition and start over.

mrkgoo

SO has anyone else seen the latest flash autoupdater?

It just popsup with the little window that looks like the blue installer bar on the dark grey background.

It's just a coincidence that it was around the same time as the trojan flash installer...

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
mrkgoo said:
SO has anyone else seen the latest flash autoupdater?

It just popsup with the little window that looks like the blue installer bar on the dark grey background.

It's just a coincidence that it was around the same time as the trojan flash installer...

Wait, there is a trojan flash installer?

I had something popup about updating flash. It looked legit. :/

Is there a way to scan my computer?

quadriplegicjon said:

You can check your /etc/hosts file (in terminal: "cat /etc/hosts") to see if there are any weird entries (that's all that it did). Basically it redirects various Google sites to another server. But you're probably fine.

Edit: The fake installer looked like this:

flash_player_trojan.jpg

So if that's not what yours looked like you're fine.

mrkgoo

quadriplegicjon said:

Yeah, I kind of got concerned, because it was just timing of the Trojan news story and the update of the real flash player.

I got a popup that looked legit, I clicked install, and it had the blue bar on dark grey background that looked like the standard flash installer - it never asked for password or anything (I had assumed clicking install was going to take me to the website), but maybe it was just downloading the installer. I clicked cancel, regardless and got it manually, but was just concerned.

I know flash put in an auto updater recently, but I had never actually seen it before that day, and was just wondering if others saw it too. It did't look like the Trojan (mac OS x installer).

ivysaur12

Banned
(I can't believe I actually made it to this thread...)

On my MacBook, the mouse has been acting erratic. It started last night and even after multiple restarts and wiping the top of it down, I can barely get my mouse to move where I want it to. Any help?

Treefingers said:
You can check your /etc/hosts file (in terminal: "cat /etc/hosts") to see if there are any weird entries (that's all that it did). Basically it redirects various Google sites to another server. But you're probably fine.

Edit: The fake installer looked like this:

flash_player_trojan.jpg

So if that's not what yours looked like you're fine.

Hrmmm... that looks familiar.

centracore

I have a question that hopefully someone will be able to answer, haven't had much luck with Google and it's driving me nuts..

On my old 2010 MacBook Air that I upgraded to Lion, upon restart/shutdown when it asks if you want to restore programs on next launch, I could hit space to uncheck that option and hit enter to restart/shutdown making the process very quick and seamless. On my new 2011 MacBook Air it doesn't do that, I can hit enter to restart/shutdown but space doesn't work because that option isn't 'active'. I've been though System Preferences high and low looking for what could cause this to no avail, any ideas?

giga

centracore said:
I have a question that hopefully someone will be able to answer, haven't had much luck with Google and it's driving me nuts..

On my old 2010 MacBook Air that I upgraded to Lion, upon restart/shutdown when it asks if you want to restore programs on next launch, I could hit space to uncheck that option and hit enter to restart/shutdown making the process very quick and seamless. On my new 2011 MacBook Air it doesn't do that, I can hit enter to restart/shutdown but space doesn't work because that option isn't 'active'. I've been though System Preferences high and low looking for what could cause this to no avail, any ideas?
keyboard

rh4e2.png

hirokazu

giga said:
On a related note, how do you bring focus to those sorts of pop-up prompts using only the keyboard if they're not already in focus? This has always bugged me since you can't just Cmd+Tab into them...

noah111

Still Alive
You can press Cmd+` (the key above tab), to switch between windows in one application. So if you have 3 Finder windows open you can switch between them that way.

However, not sure if that would work on pop-up prompts even though I believe they're associated under Finder.

hirokazu

Sentry said:
You can press Cmd+` (the key above tab), to switch between windows in one application. So if you have 3 Finder windows open you can switch between them that way.

However, not sure if that would work on pop-up prompts even though I believe they're associated under Finder.
Yeah, that doesn't bring focus to those prompts.

HALP!

After any prolonged period where I stay on the same page, my connection drops (the icon still shows full bars), and the only way to get it back is to turn AirPort off and on.

Not having problems with other devices, but rest router anyway. Did not help. If anything it's worse since then.

What could be causing this?

2010 MBP if it matters.

centracore

giga said:

Thanks giga, that did the trick.. so glad to have that functionality back. It's weird that setting is different depending on a Lion fresh install or upgrade as I've never changed it before - maybe it was the default in Snow Leopard so that carries over to Lion in an upgrade?

Ok MAC peeps. I'm not a newb to the macbook, had one for over 2 years now, but I never learn the ins and outs of the OS's.

I've noticed when browsing (firefox), sometimes I'll get pop ups that have a drop down window and the only clickable option on the page is in the window (ie no red x on the popup window). No f'n way I'm clicking. The window will say some BS about being a youtube winner or some crap, click ok to claim your prize.

Then I go through this process of force quitting, restarting, force quitting again and then usually I'm out.

What the eff are these popups and is there away to combat this BS? I hate when a browser window gets hijacked.

The_Monk

btkadams said:

1- So, if I installed this one I'm safe? Sorry but I'm new to this.

2- I have another question GAF, please help me out. I was wondering if anyone uses any (free) app to check the temperatures of your MacBookPro. Is it worth it?

Can anyone tell me a good App that does that, and, if possible, can anyone tell what the regular temperatures for a MBP (in Celsius) please?

3- One last thing, on Pc I used to run CCleaner, on my MBP do I really something similar? My fear of viruses are big...

Thanks a lot in advance.

hirokazu

fastford58 said:
Ok MAC peeps. I'm not a newb to the macbook, had one for over 2 years now, but I never learn the ins and outs of the OS's.

I've noticed when browsing (firefox), sometimes I'll get pop ups that have a drop down window and the only clickable option on the page is in the window (ie no red x on the popup window). No f'n way I'm clicking. The window will say some BS about being a youtube winner or some crap, click ok to claim your prize.

Then I go through this process of force quitting, restarting, force quitting again and then usually I'm out.

What the eff are these popups and is there away to combat this BS? I hate when a browser window gets hijacked.
Install an adblocking extension.

hirokazu

The_Monk said:

2- I have another question GAF, please help me out. I was wondering if anyone uses any (free) app to check the temperatures of your MacBookPro. Is it worth it?

Can anyone tell me a good App that does that, and, if possible, can anyone tell what the regular temperatures for a MBP (in Celsius) please?

3- One last thing, on Pc I used to run CCleaner, on my MBP do I really something similar? My fear of viruses are big...

Thanks a lot in advance.
1. Just download the latest Flash installer from the Adobe website if you want to be 100%.

2. iStat menu is good, but it isn't free. I almost never pay attention to the temperature though. Seems like something you only need to check if you believe your computer's running exceptionally hot and things are acting up possibly as a result.

3. Use one of those apps that scan the usual places for associated files when uninstalling apps. I believe there's a new consensus on the best that people have posted about, but I haven't moved on since AppZapper.

Follow proper manual uninstallation procedures for apps and utilities that don't install to the usual places. There may be other files and such left behind from long ago, but most of these are of little consequence apart from taking up usually minute disk space.

I don't see your association between these and viruses. There are very little cases of malicious software being installed with legit software. Most of them involve phoney installers such as the Flash one, or pirated software, in which case whoever installed it is ultimately responsible.

The_Monk

hirokazu said:
1. Just download the latest Flash installer from the Adobe website if you want to be 100%.

2. iStat menu is good, but it isn't free. I almost never pay attention to the temperature though. Seems like something you only need to check if you believe your computer's running exceptionally hot and things are acting up possibly as a result.

3. Use one of those apps that scan the usual places for associated files when uninstalling apps. I believe there's a new consensus on the best that people have posted about, but I haven't moved on since AppZapper.

Follow proper manual uninstallation procedures for apps and utilities that don't install to the usual places. There may be other files and such left behind from long ago, but most of these are of little consequence apart from taking up usually minute disk space.

I don't see your association between these and viruses. There are very little cases of malicious software being installed with legit software. Most of them involve phoney installers such as the Flash one, or pirated software, in which case whoever installed it is ultimately responsible.

Thanks a lot for helping a junior, kind sir.

I got all my answers cleared, thanks!

centracore

giga said:

A bit more on this.. after changing this setting it works until I restart/shutdown the computer, once I restart the computer the setting is still 'set' but it doesn't actually work, if I go into the preference panel and switch it off then on it will work - but only until I restart/shutdown the computer again. Lion bug perhaps?

deim0s

The_Monk said:

Thanks a lot in advance.
SMCFanControl to see temps and adjust fan speeds. AppCleaner for uninstalling apps and associated files. They are free BTW.

KtSlime

centracore said:
A bit more on this.. after changing this setting it works until I restart/shutdown the computer, once I restart the computer the setting is still 'set' but it doesn't actually work, if I go into the preference panel and switch it off then on it will work - but only until I restart/shutdown the computer again. Lion bug perhaps?

Could you be a bit more clear. Are you in a multi-user environment?

The_Monk - if you haven't chosen a piece of software for viewing fan-speed/temp, iStat also offers a Dashboard widget which is free.

Trojita: I use MplayerX, it's free in the AppStore, and is nice - and the developer keeps it up to date.

Orlandu84

cooljeanius said:
For something like CCleaner, I'd recommend CleanMyMac. Although if it's viruses you're worried about, I'd recommend ClamXav.
Thanks for the links! I have been looking for an app like CleanMyMac for a while. On that note, I also use CCleaner for my Windows 7 gaming rig.

Synless

I have a problem. Somehow my Bluetooth got shut off in Windows 7 64-bit bootcamp mode. I can't seem to find it anymore, nor can I figure out how to turn it on. Please help!

Synless

Damn, I had the last post. Here is my question again.

I have a problem. Somehow my Bluetooth got shut off in Windows 7 64-bit bootcamp mode. I can't seem to find it anymore, nor can I figure out how to turn it on. Please help!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Synless said:
Damn, I had the last post. Here is my question again.
Open up device manager and see if it's listed. If you can't find it at all, try reinstalling the bluetooth drivers.

Synless

Killthee said:
Open up device manager and see if it's listed. If you can't find it at all, try reinstalling the bluetooth drivers.
Do I install the drivers from the OSX disc, or ones from windows?

Top Bottom