• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Synless said:
Do I install the drivers from the OSX disc, or ones from windows?
IIRC, the driver package on the OS X disc installs all the necessary driver so it might overwrite some newer drivers if you have updated them.

If driver manager is able to detect the BT adapter and the drivers just aren't working properly, let it try to install the default Windows drivers. If the BT adapter isn't detected at all or the default Windows drivers don't work, use the OS X disc/boot camp drivers.

If you have OS X Lion, you can download the latest Windows drivers by running Boot Camp Assistant in OS X and selecting the download drivers option.

Synless

Killthee said:
IIRC, the driver package on the OS X disc installs all the necessary driver so it might overwrite some newer drivers if you have updated them.

If driver manager is able to detect the BT adapter and the drivers just aren't working properly, let it try to install the default Windows drivers. If the BT adapter isn't detected at all or the default Windows drivers don't work, use the OS X disc/boot camp drivers.

If you have OS X Lion, you can download the latest Windows drivers by running Boot Camp Assistant in OS X and selecting the download drivers option.
Cool, thank you for your help.

Synless

Well, i reinstalled the drivers and no luck. It still isn't there. I don't know what the deal is. I definitely saw it say it was installing the Bluetooth drivers and they still are not there. Any other ideas?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Synless said:
Well, i reinstalled the drivers and no luck. It still isn't there. I don't know what the deal is. I definitely saw it say it was installing the Bluetooth drivers and they still are not there. Any other ideas?
Try rebooting and then reinstall the drivers again if they still don't show up after the reboot. Also if you haven't done so, boot into OS X and make sure the BT adapter is working under OS X. It could be the hardware has just failed and that's why Windows isn't able to detect it.

If it works under OS X and it still isn't working under Windows after a reboot, you could try doing a System Restore to roll back the computer to an earlier time when the adapter was working.

Synless

Killthee said:
Try rebooting and then reinstall the drivers again if they still don't show up after the reboot. Also if you haven't done so, boot into OS X and make sure the BT adapter is working under OS X. It could be the hardware has just failed and that's why Windows isn't able to detect it.

If it works under OS X and it still isn't working under Windows after a reboot, you could try doing a System Restore to roll back the computer to an earlier time when the adapter was working.
Yeah, I checked it in OSX and it was working there, I just tried to recover but the very last recovery point was only a few days ago and it apparently was missing then too. I will try to install it another time though.

123rl

What's the best DLNA software for Mac? I need something that can stream to an Xbox 360 and a Sony Bluray player (any DLNA client should be supported with this)

FerranMG

I got my first Mac ever the other day.

I've just had a problem with my iPhone that I'm not sure I can fix, but I'd like to avoid the same troubles with my iPad, I'm hoping some of you can help.

Thing is I have my iPhone and iPad synched with my old laptop (windows7).
When I plugged the iPhone in my new Mac, I wanted to sync it and has hoping for all my apps, contacts, pictures, etc. to transfer to the Mac.
It seems that nothing was transferred at all.
And not just that, but also most of the apps I had on my iPhone were deleted (surprisingly not all of them).

What should I do when I'd like to sync my iPad with the Mac?

One more thing: I'm miss a lot the home, end, next page and previous page buttons. How can I do this with my Mac's keyboard?

LCfiner

123rl said:
What's the best DLNA software for Mac? I need something that can stream to an Xbox 360 and a Sony Bluray player (any DLNA client should be supported with this)

rivet and playback will stream to both devices.

other options are medialink for ps3 and connect360. these are separate apps from nullsoft.

I used rivet for a while and it was OK but I prefer medialink. I have not tried playback.

there should be demos of all of these.

Dreams-Visions said:
doesn't appear to be a Safari plug-in. FF only?

I don't have this issue in firefox. just Safari.
Oh, nvm. I just saw the "Grease" part and thought you were talking about Greasemonkey for Firefox...

Magnus

So, I've had my Macbook Pro for a year now. Quite happy with it, after being a PC only guy for ages.

However, I really, truly feel like I'm barely getting the fullest use out of it. It's my first laptop, so the majority of my experience so far has just been the extremely cool novelty and convenience of having a sweet computer with me everywhere, for wifi browsing, word processing, e-mail/FB, etc. (although I could do a bunch of those things on my iPhone anyway, haha), at school, work and home.

It's time I start using my Mac more, and I plan on really reading over the thread (skimming, honestly, since it's just around 200 pages now), but one thing I've only just learned recently about (as if it was some kind of secret) is BootCamp. Like...holy shit, is this as easy to use as it sounds? Is it buggy as hell?

The only copy of Windows I have at the moment is 2000 (running XP on my barely used tower at home and have no disc for it any longer, and don't feel like shelling out $200+ for W7). Would it be alright to set 2000 up on this MBP and reap the benefits of being able to run Windows only software?

Is there a GAF post/guide that summarizes the process nicely, pros/cons, etc?

Much, MUCH appreciated for any help!
(sorry if any of this is a redundant question)

njean777

FerranMG said:

I've just had a problem with my iPhone that I'm not sure I can fix, but I'd like to avoid the same troubles with my iPad, I'm hoping some of you can help.

When I plugged the iPhone in my new Mac, I wanted to sync it and has hoping for all my apps, contacts, pictures, etc. to transfer to the Mac.
And not just that, but also most of the apps I had on my iPhone were deleted (surprisingly not all of them).

One more thing: I'm miss a lot the home, end, next page and previous page buttons. How can I do this with my Mac's keyboard?

Be sure to have your iTunes account authorized on the mac, that should stop that from happening on your iPad.

http://www.applesource.com.au/mac/soa/The-ultimate-guide-to-Mac-keyboard-shortcuts/0,2000070803,339289468,00.htm

Thats a good link for most keyboard shortcuts.

LCfiner

bootcamp does not support win2K, as far as I know.

however… if you care more about running Windows software as seamlessly as possible, I would recommend parallels or VMware so you can run windows in a virtualized environment alongside OX S without having to reboot into windows.

requires a lot of ram to run smoothly (8GB in my experience) but it’s much more convenient than using bootcamp and is a better overall solution for everything except hardware taxing games, imo.

Magnus said:
So, I've had my Macbook Pro for a year now. Quite happy with it, after being a PC only guy for ages.

However, I really, truly feel like I'm barely getting the fullest use out of it. It's my first laptop, so the majority of my experience so far has just been the extremely cool novelty and convenience of having a sweet computer with me everywhere, for wifi browsing, word processing, e-mail/FB, etc. (although I could do a bunch of those things on my iPhone anyway, haha), at school, work and home.

It's time I start using my Mac more, and I plan on really reading over the thread (skimming, honestly, since it's just around 200 pages now), but one thing I've only just learned recently about (as if it was some kind of secret) is BootCamp. Like...holy shit, is this as easy to use as it sounds? Is it buggy as hell?

The only copy of Windows I have at the moment is 2000 (running XP on my barely used tower at home and have no disc for it any longer, and don't feel like shelling out $200+ for W7). Would it be alright to set 2000 up on this MBP and reap the benefits of being able to run Windows only software?

Is there a GAF post/guide that summarizes the process nicely, pros/cons, etc?

Much, MUCH appreciated for any help!
(sorry if any of this is a redundant question)
It's really easy to install. I installed W7 before just for the hell of it and I thought I might need it for school. However, things don't work as smoothly on W7 as they do on OSX, despite Apple's drivers. Like the lack of almost all multitouch gestures. I also noticed that my Macbook runs hotter under W7 and I can't turn off the backlight keyboard for some reason. Apple obviously doesn't spend much time optimizing Windows for Mac hardware, and I can't fault them.

Overall, using W7 on my Macbook felt like using any ordinary non-Apple laptop, and not like W7 with all the cool hardware/software tricks of the Macbook like I hoped. And when I realized I didn't even need Windows for school related things I just deleted the partition and never looked back.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
H_Prestige said:
It's really easy to install. I installed W7 before just for the hell of it and I thought I might need it for school. However, things don't work as smoothly on W7 as they do on OSX, despite Apple's drivers. Like the lack of almost all multitouch gestures. I also noticed that my Macbook runs hotter under W7 and I can't turn off the backlight keyboard for some reason. Apple obviously doesn't spend much time optimizing Windows for Mac hardware, and I can't fault them.

Overall, using W7 on my Macbook felt like using any ordinary non-Apple laptop, and not like W7 with all the cool hardware/software tricks of the Macbook like I hoped. And when I realized I didn't even need Windows for school related things I just deleted the partition and never looked back.

When did you install W7? I thought they fixed the keyboard backlight thing with later drivers? The trackpad does feel odd under W7, but I don't think that is a driver issue, I think that is just how windows trackpads work.. If you are going to play games, you should probably have a mouse anyway.

H_Prestige said:

Is it even Apple's job to optimize Windows for Mac hardware? Wouldn't that be Microsoft's job? Whoever's job it is, you'd think they could at least work together on it...

Jasoco

Banned
Microsoft doesn't care. To them a Mac is just another PC that they can sell Windows for. Just like Dell and Acer and Alienware.

Magnus

Thanks for the answers to my questions, guys.

More general MBP question:

How long should my battery be lasting after a year in use? It could be my imagination, but it seems to be draining faster than usual (which I know is normal after some time, but after just one year?). Naturally, wifi/airport is always on, and I'm usually at exactly half-brightness.

A full charge seems to last about 4-5 hours of continuous use. Could've sworn it was more like 7-8 last year.

Any other major factors that contribute to draining battery life faster?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Magnus said:

How long should my battery be lasting after a year in use? It could be my imagination, but it seems to be draining faster than usual (which I know is normal after some time, but after just one year?). Naturally, wifi/airport is always on, and I'm usually at exactly half-brightness.

A full charge seems to last about 4-5 hours of continuous use. Could've sworn it was more like 7-8 last year.

I'm not sure on the new macbook pros, but there are a couple of apps that give you the health of the battery. I personally use the iStat pro widget. After a year, I assume, you should still have >90% health. You may need to recalibrate your battery though. I.E. Charge it fully, drain it fully, and then recharge it fully.

KtSlime

cooljeanius said:
Does anyone know if it's possible to get Spotlight to search inside .app bundles, and if so, how?

Inside multiple app bundles as a whole no, inside a particular app, all you have to do is "view contents" of the app, and then use the search input and change the target to the current directory.

You may find the "find" terminal command comes in handy depending on what you are trying to look for.

ivedoneyourmom said:
Inside multiple app bundles as a whole no, inside a particular app, all you have to do is "view contents" of the app, and then use the search input and change the target to the current directory.

You may find the "find" terminal command comes in handy depending on what you are trying to look for.
I already know how to look inside specific .app bundles, I was talking more in general. Specifically what I want to do is search for all _MASReceipt folders in all my apps and save the search as a saved Spotlight search. Also, I'm aware of some other Terminal commands for finding, what'sthe difference between them all?

Magnus said:

Before you switch to integrated graphics, close your web browsers. then switch to integrated and re-open them. If you don't, the discrete GPU will remain on and draining battery life.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
cooljeanius said:
I already know how to look inside specific .app bundles, I was talking more in general. Specifically what I want to do is search for all _MASReceipt folders in all my apps and save the search as a saved Spotlight search. Also, I'm aware of some other Terminal commands for finding, what'sthe difference between them all?
find doesn't do indexing, so it's not as fast as Spotlight. That's usually not a problem though because you should've broadly drilled down your search to locations that make sense.

A cool thing is that you can also use Spotlight from a terminal — the command is mdfind. It is very powerful indeed.

What other commands for finding are you referring to?

KtSlime

cooljeanius said:

What wolfmat says is true, there are really only find and mdfind, aside from *grep which can be used to find strings within a file.

It is my understanding that all _MASReceipt folders are in the exact same place - *.app/Contents/_MASReceipt

This means you don't actually have to find them and only need to find the app.

Using mdfind, you can create a script to append the locations of that directory to a file.

mdfind "kMDItemContentType == com.apple.application-bundle && kMDItemAppStoreHasReceipt == 1" | while read -r ; do echo "$REPLY"/Contents/_MASReceipt; done

This should get you started.

hirokazu

FerranMG said:

Before you synced, you must right click the device icon in iTunes and select Transfer Purchases for the apps, music and books that are on your device to be transferred to your new computer. It also warns you that syncing to the new computer will erase all your existing data should you choose to continue.

For anything not on your device but on your other computer, it's your own responsibility to transfer it over to your new computer.

KtSlime

hirokazu said:
Before you synced, you must right click the device icon in iTunes and select Transfer Purchases for the apps, music and books that are on your device to be transferred to your new computer. It also warns you that syncing to the new computer will erase all your existing data should you choose to continue.

For anything not on your device but on your other computer, it's your own responsibility to transfer it over to your new computer.

I've never had a Windows machine before so I'm not sure, but shouldn't the Migration Assistant Apple has provided for people transferring from Windows to OS X be able to transfer iTunes libraries/setups?

If not, Apple should be ashamed of themselves, I imagine this is likely one of the harder things for people to do manually, but one of the easiest things Apple can do to make migration a more pleasant experience considering that Apple has the codebase for both iTunes for Mac and iTunes for Windows.

FerranMG said:

Home = fn+left
End = fn+right
PgDN = fn+down
PgUP = fn+up

Congratulations on your new purchase, hope you enjoy it.

KtSlime

FerranMG said:

Hopefully you have not put yourself through too much unneeded stress since you made this post. I went and searched the Apple Support articles and found something useful for you.

Windows Migration brings the following information from your Windows PC (Windows XP SP3 or greater) to your Mac:

Email: IMAP and POP accounts from Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail and Windows Live email accounts are transferred to Mail. Email metadata such as read, replied, and flagged are transferred from Outlook, Outlook Express and Windows Mail to Mail in OS X.
Contacts: Outlook and Outlook Express contacts, and Windows Contacts from the Contact home directory are transferred to Address Book.
Calendars: Outlook calendars are transferred to iCal
iTunes library, including music, photos, videos and apps and games for iOS devices, except rentals
Home directory folders and content, including Music, Pictures, Desktop, Documents, and Downloads
Browser bookmarks and homepage from Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Safari are transferred to Safari
User settings including localization, locale, and any customized desktop picture

It sounds like to me, if you were to use the Windows Migration Assistant to transfer your data to your new Mac, you could do exactly what you want to do.

Read more about it here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4796

FerranMG

hirokazu said:

That's what I did in the end with the iPad, and worked flawlessly. Haven't had much time to post back here. :p
It's a shame I erased all the apps I had on my iPhone, but it has been a good chance to do a bit of a clean up. I realized I didn't use more than half of the apps I had.

@ivedoneyourmom: thanks for the shortcuts, will try them later. Couldn't find these in the link njean777 posted.
And thanks a lot for going through the hassle of searching the Apple Support articles.
I might end up going through the migration assistant (which I wanted to avoid because I loved the chance of starting really clean with the mac, and delete (or not transfer) a lot of junk from my old computer), because I'm having a bit of problems with the backup hdd I had with my Windows laptop.

Overall I'm loving the machine. Yesterday was the first day I stressed it a little bit. I had a couple or three of desktops, Safari and Opera open, Twitter, iPhoto and Steam going through updates.
The damn machine did everything without blinking. A bit more of heat than when just browsing the net, but nothing slightly unbearable. Really awesome.

I have a couple more questions, though:
- I've installed BTT. I see I can configure different gestures doing different actions in different applications. Can I, though, create new gestures? For example: drawing an L with two fingers means closing an app.

- I noticed when I full-screened iPhoto that the black background started flickering. Has anyone noticed the same? It doesn't happen when not in full screen.

I'll probably come up with a few more questions in the next days, but right now I'm really, really enjoying this Macbook Air.

edit: well, yeah, another question. Can I share an external hdd between my Mac and my Windows laptop?

noah111

Still Alive
I'm in Lion now and I forgot that I used have this feature in SL where I do a shortcut to pause/play my music and a little grey transparent box pops up similar to the volume box.

I don't even know how I enabled such a thing now, I think it may have been through Quicksilver but I don't know, maybe Bowtie. It seemed like an official Apple Script or something.

Also works for next track/previous track in the same way. Anyone know what i'm talking about?

noah111

Still Alive
FerranMG said:
- I've installed BTT. I see I can configure different gestures doing different actions in different applications. Can I, though, create new gestures? For example: drawing an L with two fingers means closing an app.
Nope, but I don't really think you'd need it since they have a ton of gestures. I currently use swipe from bottom left corner to center, then down (making a triangle) to quit an app.

Use it rarely, in those awkward moments in bed where I just can't reach the keyboard and too lazy to precisely click the close/quite buttons. :lol

hirokazu

The reason you can't do gestures like that is that it wouldn't be able to reliably work out whether you're trying to two-finger scroll or perform a gesture.

You can share an external drive between Windows and Mac as long as it's formatted as FAT32 or exFAT.

hirokazu

Sentry said:
I'm in Lion now and I forgot that I used have this feature in SL where I do a shortcut to pause/play my music and a little grey transparent box pops up similar to the volume box.

I don't even know how I enabled such a thing now, I think it may have been through Quicksilver but I don't know, maybe Bowtie. It seemed like an official Apple Script or something.

Also works for next track/previous track in the same way. Anyone know what i'm talking about?
I used TunesArt and it did this for Play and Pause. But version 2.0 is only available on the App Store and it costs more than I'd want to pay for it. :(

Otherwise, it may be GrowlTunes, Bowtie or TunesArt using Growl's HUD theme displaying the currently playing track.

noah111

Still Alive
Not sure if those are the same though, it looked exactly like the volume/brightness pop-up;

But with a pause icon or next track icon. It doesn't show the song playing though, only pops up when I use a pause/play/next/previous keyboard shortcut?

Is there something like integrated into SL, i.e. a script or something? Driving me crazy trying to remember how I did this before.

ivedoneyourmom said:
It sounds like to me, if you were to use the Windows Migration Assistant to transfer your data to your new Mac, you could do exactly what you want to do.

Migration Assistant can be a bit iffy. Absolutely a good starting point, but I've had it not work Mac-to-Mac (10.5 to 10.5), and a friend just tried it XP to Lion and it didn't bring iTunes stuff over (he had apparently moved the iTunes library from the default location on Windows, so maybe that's it; you'd think MA would read iTunes's settings.

Sentry said:
Not sure if those are the same though, it looked exactly like the volume/brightness pop-up;

http://i.imgur.com/UClRD.png

But with a pause icon or next track icon. It doesn't show the song playing though, only pops up when I use a pause/play/next/previous keyboard shortcut?

Is there something like integrated into SL, i.e. a script or something? Driving me crazy trying to remember how I did this before.
There's nothing like that out of the box as far as I know. I know Bowtie does this though.

Doomboy

Neo Member
Sentry said:

Yeah, it's Bowtie that does this. Just open it up from Launchpad or Quicksilver and remind yourself of the hotkeys and you're good to go.
Note that there are some Lion compatibilty issues with Bowtie which mean you can't interact with it if it is set to the desktop, and sometimes it doesn't show album artwork, but you can download a beta version from their website to fix the problems.

JonCha

Whenever I export a .pages document to .word, apparently people are getting messed up formatting (especially with bullet points). Is this because my version of Pages only goes up to 2004? Does the new version support more recent versions of Word?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
JonCha said:
Whenever I export a .pages document to .word, apparently people are getting messed up formatting (especially with bullet points). Is this because my version of Pages only goes up to 2004? Does the new version support more recent versions of Word?
Just use Word and avoid all these headaches.

noah111

Still Alive
Doomboy said:
Yeah, it's Bowtie that does this. Just open it up from Launchpad or Quicksilver and remind yourself of the hotkeys and you're good to go.
Note that there are some Lion compatibilty issues with Bowtie which mean you can't interact with it if it is set to the desktop, and sometimes it doesn't show album artwork, but you can download a beta version from their website to fix the problems.
Hmm, yeah I am using the shortcuts in Bowtie but they don't bring up any visual cue. I am running the beta version so I can view the album art (mostly). Is this a Lion compatibility issue then?

LCfiner

JonCha said:

I have the latest pages and didn't notice any bullet points getting lost as I exported to word, so it might be fixed.

but if you're gonna be working with people who use word and sharing with them regularly, just get word.

Doomboy

Neo Member
Sentry said:
Hmm, yeah I am using the shortcuts in Bowtie but they don't bring up any visual cue. I am running the beta version so I can view the album art (mostly). Is this a Lion compatibility issue then?

You have this box ticked, right?

noah111

Still Alive
Fuck, I could have swore I had that checked. :lol Thanks so much, it works now and I feel that much dumber. :)

PS. I want to make the switch (finally) from Quicksilver to Alfred, but it's so fucking ugly imo, any way to change the look a bit? Themes etc?

Doomboy

Neo Member
Sentry said:
I want to make the switch (finally) from Quicksilver to Alfred, but it's so fucking ugly imo, any way to change the look a bit? Themes etc?

I use Alfred and IMO it looks pretty great, especially compared to what I've seen of Quicksilver.

You can edit it to simplify it by removing objects such as the hat, and you can change the colour scheme if you have a premium account, though there are three free themes available - Light, Dark and Lion. Lion is similar to Light though a bit greyer.

Here's what mine looks like -

noah111

Still Alive
Just to put it on the table.

1, don't like the purple, hate that color.
2, don't like the slightly obnoxious large text.
3, don't like that there's (seemingly) no way to search specifically for itunes music.

Any ideas or am I just gonna have to suck it?

Doomboy

Neo Member
Sentry said:
If you get the Powerpack (it's £12) you can change the whole colour scheme, so yep you can change the text to whatever colour you want.
There's not much you can do about this, but on your actual full size screen it will obviously look smaller than it does in that snippet.
3, don't like that there's (seemingly) no way to search specifically for itunes music.
Again, if you get the Powerpack there's a fully-fledged iTunes mini player available, more info on the Powerpack here - http://www.alfredapp.com/powerpack/

noah111

Still Alive
Hmm, ok I am looking into this more (themes as well) and i'm starting to get on board.. I think I might just buy it if I can, after a few days using the free version. Thanks for the info though.

njean777

Sentry said:
Just to put it on the table.

Any ideas or am I just gonna have to suck it?
If you buy the power pack you get full iTunes control. It's actually the best tool I have ever used to control iTunes, other then iTunes itself obviously.

Jasoco

Banned
Sentry said:
I use Growl instead of Bowtie's built-in bezel. The bezel is just for people who don't use Growl really.

Doomboy

Neo Member
Jasoco said:
I use Growl instead of Bowtie's built-in bezel. The bezel is just for people who don't use Growl really.

I recommend Take Five for showing iTunes tracks. I always found it a bit weird having things such as tweets mixed up with Growl announcing a new track. I originally combatted that by using the 'Music Video' theme for iTunes, but it looks like shit really.

So when I bought Take Five for its pausing function the thing that really took me by surprise is how nice it looked when I had a new track, so I use that now.

Top Bottom