• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

FerranMG

MDJCM said:
Can't wait for more of the web's bigger sites to switch out of Flash

Which ones already have?

BTW, about the Youtube videos not resuming after paused, it happens to me as well in Windows.

Doomboy

Neo Member
Sentry said:
You know what, I like this. I may try it out, even though i'm currently satisfied with how I have bowtie set up. [EDIT] Ugh, no free versions? Fuck that.
Yeah, I didn't buy it for that purpose originally anyway, but it is nice to be able to use it. It is a bit steep at $2 to buy it just for notifications...
Where did you get this theme, I can't find it on their dedicated store and it looks nice. :D
OK back to this, I am now an avid Alfred user. Fuck, it's good. Got the power pack too, set up a bunch of extensions and specific settings. Love it love it, mine is pretty sexy too. :D
TuqNk.png
Jesus, it's translucent! Is this something you can do with the PowerPack, it looks awesome. :) Maybe you could PM me the custom theme if that's possible?

Jasoco said:
Funny, Control+Shift+S is the same key Bowtie has set up for speaking the track.
Yeah, I imagine that's why I set up Take Five to use that as the global shortcut in the first place.

noah111

Still Alive
Doomboy said:
Yeah, I didn't buy it for that purpose originally anyway, but it is nice to be able to use it. It is a bit steep at $2 to buy it just for notifications...

Where did you get this theme, I can't find it on their dedicated store and it looks nice. :D

Jesus, it's translucent! Is this something you can do with the PowerPack, it looks awesome. :) Maybe you could PM me the custom theme if that's possible?
About the bowtie theme, I made it (modded it anyway), submitted to bowcase the other day but still not accepted/up on their site. And yup it power pack baby, love it. I also exported the Alfred theme I made 'Clean' so I can send it. Just PM me your email and i'll send both curLion/Clean via attachments since they're both small enough. If you don't want to give me your email just link me a no-hassle uploading site.

MDJCM

FerranMG said:
Which ones already have?

BTW, about the Youtube videos not resuming after paused, it happens to me as well in Windows.
Virgin, YouTube, Vimeo

Pretty much all impressive sites back in 2005/6 used some sort of flash, now most sites are iPad friendly

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Sentry: Can you upload it somewhere? Looks nice.

noah111

Still Alive
Bah, put them both up on deviantart, bowcase is pretty deviant heavy in terms of submissions;

curLion; http://sentry15.deviantart.com/art/curLion-for-Bowtie-255660623

Clean; http://sentry15.deviantart.com/art/Clean-for-Alfred-255661986

I'm really liking the newest Bowtie theme on bowcase though, called 'Unnamed Bowtie Theme' :lol

mrkgoo

Ashhong said:
My 2009 13" Pro says "Service Battery". It still has 76% health. Is there anything I can do to try and fix it?

I had an issue with my non-unibody MacBook pro with a 'service battery' warning, after the battery was less than year old. The health kept fluctuating. First thing you can try is resetting SMC. If you have a removable battery, you take it out, unplug the power, and hold the power button for 5 seconds or something. There's another procedure if you don't have a removable battery - youl have to google it.

that didn't solve it for me, so I had to contact Apple, and they replaced my battery.

I think it partially has t do with Snow Leopard being bait more picky on the ifo it receives from the battery, but I'veheard the Sony battery is not so good either.

Did you use your laptop a lot on power and didn't cycle the battery much? If so, it's possible the battery died a lot more quickly, and the health is reported incorrctly.

Ashhong

I do have a removable battery, just have to unscrew the entire bottom to do it, ill try that thanks.

Cycling...that just means having the battery completely die right? I do use my laptop on power a lot, but it also died a lot since I take it out to school and things like that. Ive had it for a little over 2 years now, is 77% lower than it should be?

Did Apple replace it out of warranty by chance?

mrkgoo

Ashhong said:
I do have a removable battery, just have to unscrew the entire bottom to do it, ill try that thanks.

Cycling...that just means having the battery completely die right? I do use my laptop on power a lot, but it also died a lot since I take it out to school and things like that. Ive had it for a little over 2 years now, is 77% lower than it should be?

Did Apple replace it out of warranty by chance?

I think technically, that's the non-removable battery, right? Check the apple knowledge base articles for 'resetting SMC', it will let you know how to do it for your model.

I don't know what is 'right' for battery health. Depends on number of cycles, I think, butif you used the battery regularly, it might be right. Service battery warning is slitly different from it prompting you to replace, however. It's what I got. I have the old style MacBook pro, with the latches and battery.

Do you have AppleCare?
Anyway, my battery was technically under warranty, as i had purchased it less than a year ago, even though my mac is over 3 years old. They replaced it under warranty of the battery (nice of them, considering I technically had no receipt, and thus no record I had purchased it less than a year ago, although, I did have some evidence).

Ashhong

Nah, pretty sure its considered a removable battery. They have a little tab with instructions and all that to remove it. I'll take a look on the site, thanks.

I wonder if I can get away with saying the battery was bought recently...I'm guessing you had to take in the whole laptop? I wonder if they have serial numbers and stuff. I knew I should have bought the Apple Care. I forgot about it after putting it off, thinking I would decide by the end of my one year is up.

mrkgoo

Ashhong said:
Nah, pretty sure its considered a removable battery. They have a little tab with instructions and all that to remove it. I'll take a look on the site, thanks.

I wonder if I can get away with saying the battery was bought recently...I'm guessing you had to take in the whole laptop? I wonder if they have serial numbers and stuff. I knew I should have bought the Apple Care. I forgot about it after putting it off, thinking I would decide by the end of my one year is up.

Strangely, yes, the battery does have a serial number, but they can't track it. Initially, the authorised distributor here said that since I didn't have a proper receipt they wouldn't do anything, so I contacted Apple Asia-pacific, and they looked at my email which was from the store I bought that supplied at least a purchase order for a battery, and Apple just said they'll give me a new one. that's first class service! They even allowed me to pick it up in Taiwan when I was on holiday. I never had AppleCare.

So yeah, you may or may not be out of luck without out AppleCare, but be sure to take it into an applestore, and they may be lenient. I recall that they ran a diagnostic test, and my battery failed it. Also, my service battery warning was intermittent. After charging it, sometimes it would appear normal for a few days, but revert back. But do check out other options first, such as the SMC reset. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3782

This arrived this morning to protect the keys. Typing on it isn't as easy but I'll get used to it. On top of shiny keys, the W, E, A and S keys are slightly depressed in the center. I hope it helps

ibnrEGZLK4uSmC.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Forget that. I'd rather use the keys naked, wear and tear and all, than deal with that 24/7.

Meus Renaissance said:
This arrived this morning to protect the keys. Typing on it isn't as easy but I'll get used to it. On top of shiny keys, the W, E, A and S keys are slightly depressed in the center. I hope it helps

I got one of those after I spilled water on my keyboard and fried my laptop. I kinda view it as punishment for my carelessness.

TUSR

Banned
Bboy AJ said:
Forget that. I'd rather use the keys naked, wear and tear and all, than deal with that 24/7.
it doesnt make sense to have a protector like that, what are you afraid of?

Keys won't wear out, even if they do its pretty minor.

Insertia

I got my 15" 2011 Macbook two days ago.

Worth every penny of the $1800 I spent. As a graphic designer, I'm loving this thing. It's so simple which makes getting work done less of a headache. After 12 years with Windows the Mac is a real breath of fresh air.

Funny, because several years ago I scoffed at getting a Mac due to the price.

edit- And the construction of the unit is incredible. It's tough and and feels like it's meant to be used for work. I've lost thousands damaging Windows Laptops due to simple bumps or slight drops. This baby looks and feels like it can handle accidents and keeping going.

I have a question as a new Mac user. Right now the speed of the system is incredibly impressive. Will the system always run like this or do Macs suffer from the Windows symptom, where after a several months or so speed performance slows down?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Insertia said:
I got my 15" 2011 Macbook two days ago.

Worth every penny of the $1800 I spent. As a graphic designer, I'm loving this thing. It's so simple which makes getting work done less of a headache. After 12 years with Windows the Mac is a real breath of fresh air.

Funny, because several years ago I scoffed at getting a Mac due to the price.

edit- And the construction of the unit is incredible. It's tough and and feels like it's meant to be used for work. I've lost thousands damaging Windows Laptops due to simple bumps or slight drops. This baby looks and feels like it can handle accidents and keeping going.

I have a question as a new Mac user. Right now the speed of the system is incredibly impressive. Will the system always run like this or do Macs suffer from the Windows symptom, where after a several months or so speed performance slows down?

I never understand people like you, I work on a Mac at work and a PC at home (Videographer, working in a premiere/AF environment) and there is no difference in productivity. There is no reason windows should be causing you "headaches" or "less work done".

Pagusas said:
I never understand people like you, I work on a Mac at work and a PC at home (Videographer, working in a premiere/AF environment) and there is no difference in productivity. There is no reason windows should be causing you "headaches" or "less work done".
On OS X, less time is spent keeping the machine up and running. No time is spent on drivers. You plug shit in and for the most part it works immediately. Software doesn't require a lot of user input before installation. Applications don't really crash. Memory management feels better. No time is spent on things like anti-virus scanning or malware removal. Shortcut buttons to control your music and other relevant options are convenient. Touchpad...espcially after configured with BetterTouchTool or JiTouch become irreplaceable.

You really can just focus on the task before you rather than the surrounding issues. That's the difference. That is the breath of fresh air people experience. No longer being worried about what's getting on the computer, what's running in the task manager, what drivers are acting up, etc. Shit pretty much works without any extended effort from the end-user.

That's why I love OS X. But if you don't mind managing all those things in Windows 7, it's just fine too.

Jasoco

Banned
Bboy AJ said:
I used to have a rubber cover for my Pro Keyboard because I had killed so many keyboards with liquid before it, I wanted to not have to pay for another keyboard again. The thing got sooooo dirty over they year I used it. Even washing it numerous times. I spent $30 for it even though it was a piece of rubber moulded to fit my keyboard.

That was before I switched to laptops.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Weird problem! My right shift-button and Return-key on my Macbook Air stopped working recently. Right after I wiped clean the keyboard, so I'm inclined to think that might have something to do with it, but all the other keys around that area are unaffected. I've also seen the same problem when googling, but unfortunately no solutions.

Anyone experience something similiar? Or do I simply hace to have it serviced?

noah111

Still Alive
I need some expert help, i'm trying to find the flag icons used for the language input source menu bar icon. I'd love to have it in my menu bar, especially for easy access to the special characters and on-screen keyboard (which is a must for, say, arabic), however the flag icons are hideous.. I'd like to locate them and replace them with prettier b/w versions that mach real menu bar icons..

Any help? Looked everywhere.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Pagusas said:
same here - there's absolutely no difference between the two platforms once you have either set up with a workflow you're comfortable with. i have a Wacom 6x8 tablet that needed driver installations on both Win7 and OSX, an Adobe CS package that requires a lengthy installation process on both Win7 and OSX, and worry just as much about viruses or malware on either platform (that is, not one bit).

oft times these fanboy rants on how one platform is vastly superior to the other reminds me of the flowery language used to peddle holistic products.

Keen said:
Weird problem! My right shift-button and Return-key on my Macbook Air stopped working recently. Right after I wiped clean the keyboard, so I'm inclined to think that might have something to do with it, but all the other keys around that area are unaffected. I've also seen the same problem when googling, but unfortunately no solutions.

Anyone experience something similiar? Or do I simply hace to have it serviced?
did you use a cleaning solution/water or a dry cloth?

teamaxe

scorcho said:
oft times these fanboy rants on how one platform is vastly superior to the other reminds me of the flowery language used to peddle holistic products.

In general, I agree with this statement, but there are several instances where I think that each platform excels.

I work on Windows at work and OS X at home. I much prefer OS X for being a BSD platform. Also, Apple has a much better unified vision of the music/picture/movie management. iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie etc. all seem to work together much, much better than Windows Essentials does. But, it's possible that I just had really bad luck with Windows Essentials/Zune, etc.

In contrast, if you're a game developer that focuses on the PC market, there is no reason, really to prefer OS X. If you don't like the idea behind iTunes, then OS X loses a lot of its draw, too.

bionic77

Insertia said:
I can't speak for everyone but my Core Duo MBP from 2005 or 2006 still runs pretty much exactly as it did when I bought it. Which means it runs everything without any hassle, but just because it is OS X doesn't mean it feels anywhere near as snappy as my i5 MBP from 2010. It is still an old ass computer.

I would strongly recommend upgrading the RAM and HD to an SSD (I recommend OWC) when you get the chance. Very easy to do, future proofs the laptop for a little longer, and makes a huge difference in performance.

Jasoco

Banned
I have a problem with Web Sharing. For some reason I can't turn it on. If I check the box, it turns off after a second.

And in the logs I am getting this error every 10 seconds:

9/2/11 11:17:40.602 PM org.apache.httpd: httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using computer_name.local for ServerName
9/2/11 11:17:40.602 PM org.apache.httpd: (2)No such file or directory: httpd: could not open error log file /private/var/log/apache2/error_log.
9/2/11 11:17:40.602 PM org.apache.httpd: Unable to open logs
9/2/11 11:17:40.617 PM com.apple.launchd: (org.apache.httpd[374]) Exited with code: 1
9/2/11 11:17:40.617 PM com.apple.launchd: (org.apache.httpd) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

Jasoco said:
I have a problem with Web Sharing. For some reason I can't turn it on. If I check the box, it turns off after a second.

And in the logs I am getting this error every 10 seconds:

9/2/11 11:17:40.602 PM org.apache.httpd: httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using computer_name.local for ServerName
9/2/11 11:17:40.602 PM org.apache.httpd: (2)No such file or directory: httpd: could not open error log file /private/var/log/apache2/error_log.
9/2/11 11:17:40.602 PM org.apache.httpd: Unable to open logs
9/2/11 11:17:40.617 PM com.apple.launchd: (org.apache.httpd[374]) Exited with code: 1
9/2/11 11:17:40.617 PM com.apple.launchd: (org.apache.httpd) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
With the launchd part with the throttling respawn, you might want to check the plist in your launchdaemons folder. With the no such file or directory, try creating the file or directory manually, or if it already exists, try fixing/changing its permissions.

Jasoco

Banned
There is no plist for it in my LaunchDaemons folders. Neither my main or user Library folders.

Checking the folder, the apache2 folder doesn't exist. Let alone the error_log file. I don't know how it would have gotten deleted. It's the one Logs folder I haven't been in lately. I don't know how long it's been doing this though. I usually keep Web Sharing on so I can have a local web server for testing purposes But haven't used it in a while so I don't know how long it's done this. All I know is it's filling my logs with this same error over and over.

I only found it because I was trying to figure out why HardwareGrowler keeps crashing and found some errors from apps I deleted months ago before I noticed my Web Sharing wasn't working anymore.

Success. Recreating the folder and file made Web Sharing turn itself back on. Which is weird because you'd think it would create that stuff itself if it wasn't found.

Thanks! I didn't know it was actually going to be that easy. I figured I'd at least have to repair permissions and reboot.

Pulka

I just upgraded to Lion and it looks nice, but the new Exposé is shit. It's just a nice looking dock, I can choose what program I want to open instead of what window. How do I make it like in Snow Leopard and how do I disable spaces and the ability to move windows in Exposé?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I never understood why the new way of dealing with Spaces was hailed as the new sliced bread; I really like the old way. That's actually what's primarily holding me back from upgrading.

Pulka

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
All the Chrome windows are in one big pile instead of being separated.
My wallpaper looks like a window and why do I need a picture of my desktop at the top?

eECGG.jpg

Jasoco

Banned
Pulka said:
My wallpaper looks like a window and why do I need a picture of my desktop at the top?

eECGG.jpg
Chrome has its own Exposé if you use the browser the way it was meant to be used for the last 10 years and put them all in tabs. And if you use Chrome's fullscreen you won't have that problem. But that's just me.

Doomboy

Neo Member
Pulka said:
why do I need a picture of my desktop at the top?

eECGG.jpg
You can add more desktops by going over to the top right corner. They kinda work like Spaces did.
The top bit then shows all the different desktops. It also shows all your full screen apps.

hirokazu

Pulka said:
This is primarily for switching between apps. Use Application Exposé for switching between windows of the same app.
Pulka said:
This is for switching between desktop spaces.

Chris R

wolfmat said:
I never understood why the new way of dealing with Spaces was hailed as the new sliced bread; I really like the old way. That's actually what's primarily holding me back from upgrading.
SL was much better in regards to spaces/expose, but I've gotten used to Lion :/

MDJCM

Meus Renaissance said:

ibnrEGZLK4uSmC.jpg

I work for a mac specialist, all the techies hate these keyboard covers. The MBPs use the gaps in the keyboard to draw air for cooling, so when you use these, the internal temps rise and component failure is more likely.

MDJCM said:
I work for a mac specialist, all the techies hate these keyboard covers. The MBPs use the gaps in the keyboard to draw air for cooling, so when you use these, the internal temps rise and component failure is more likely.
Temperature increase is minimal, really. 2-3C or so. Suggestions otherwise are greatly exaggerated. I know: I have had them on my Macs for years and observe temperatures religiously (thanks, iStat Menus).

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Question Question:

How do you import mail from a Snow Leopard back up into the new Lion Mail, and where do I find the mailboxes in the SL backup?

Thanks!

Barrett2

After two years of living in the netbook ghetto, I just bought a Macbook Pro.

Agggghhhhh, I have no idea what im' doing!

I'll be reading through this thread to figure out how to use this damn thing.

FerranMG

Question about pictures import.

The other day I put an SD card into my macbook air. An iPhoto pop up appeared asking if I wanted to import pictures and whatnot. I said ok, and since then I can see those pictures in iPhoto.

However, when I wanted to import more pictures from another SD card, I dismissed the iPhoto pop up, and can't seem to find a way to import them into iPhoto again. I tried clicking the top menu, and then import, but it did nothing.

Related to that, where are the iPhoto pictures stored?
Is it good practice to manage all my pictures via iPhoto, or I would be better off by copying them straight from the SD card to my HDD? This is actually what I would do with Windows.

Top Bottom