• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

lawblob said:
After two years of living in the netbook ghetto, I just bought a Macbook Pro.

Agggghhhhh, I have no idea what im' doing!

I'll be reading through this thread to figure out how to use this damn thing.

One of the things I've found on OSX is that a lot of the options you might want are initially hidden or hard to find (for example, the Library folder is now hidden as standard on Lion), but once you get used to where to look for things it all becomes a lot easier. In the space of 6 months I've grown to find Windows more and more confusing. OSX is a lot more user friendly. At least for my level of use, maybe coders and hardcore PC users find it the opposite.

Pulka said:
All the Chrome windows are in one big pile instead of being separated.
My wallpaper looks like a window and why do I need a picture of my desktop at the top?

If you swipe down with three-fingers you can see an Exposé view of Chrome's windows.

Hey guys I picked up a 17 inch Mac book bro on the weekend, I just wanted to know, is it fast enough to run newer games like your crysis 2 type games cause it has a pretty fast spec?.Also It says I might have to download the Lion OS if its not running on the machine already, how do I know if I am running Lion?

Dabanton

ChocolatePuddin said:
Hey guys I picked up a 17 inch Mac book bro on the weekend, I just wanted to know, is it fast enough to run newer games like your crysis 2 type games cause it has a pretty fast spec?.Also It says I might have to download the Lion OS if its not running on the machine already, how do I know if I am running Lion?

Go up to the lefthand corner and click on the black apple select 'about this mac' if it says version 10.7 your on Lion.

MDJCM

FerranMG said:
Question about pictures import.

The other day I put an SD card into my macbook air. An iPhoto pop up appeared asking if I wanted to import pictures and whatnot. I said ok, and since then I can see those pictures in iPhoto.

However, when I wanted to import more pictures from another SD card, I dismissed the iPhoto pop up, and can't seem to find a way to import them into iPhoto again. I tried clicking the top menu, and then import, but it did nothing.

Related to that, where are the iPhoto pictures stored?
Is it good practice to manage all my pictures via iPhoto, or I would be better off by copying them straight from the SD card to my HDD? This is actually what I would do with Windows.

You can always use Image Capture program in the Apps folder for manual image import. But you should also see the SD card pop up in iphoto's left hand menu anyway. If it doesn't, eject the card and put it back in

Dreams-Visions said:
if it's a 2011 MBP, yes, you can at lowered settings. most games run at max settings.

K cool thanks, gotta try out some games on this bad boy soon, but steam has such a limited offering is there another place to download Mac games?

ChocolatePuddin said:
Thanks I,ll check them out, ya this dual boot thing sounds like the way to go if you wanna play games, was there ever a thread on the Gaf bout how to do it?
It's extremely simple if you're doing it with Windows, just open Boot Camp Assistant in your Utilities folder. If you're doing it with Linux or any other OS, things become significantly more complicated (I still can't get my MacBook Pro to boot into Linux even after installing the ISOs properly with uNetBootin and then rEFIt-ing my laptop...)

Jasoco

Banned
Liquid_015 said:
Question Question:

How do you import mail from a Snow Leopard back up into the new Lion Mail, and where do I find the mailboxes in the SL backup?

Thanks!
~/Library/Mail/

I use the Migration Assistant, but you can probably just put the old Mail folder in the right place and have it pick it up.

cooljeanius said:
It's extremely simple if you're doing it with Windows, just open Boot Camp Assistant in your Utilities folder. If you're doing it with Linux or any other OS, things become significantly more complicated (I still can't get my MacBook Pro to boot into Linux even after installing the ISOs properly with uNetBootin and then rEFIt-ing my laptop...)

Ok cool thanks i,ll check it out,its a slick piece of hardware it wins the pretty award by far.As long as they release some of the AAA games coming out over the next few months on Mac I,m happy.

btkadams

i seem to remember seeing an ad or reading somewhere about an application that you can have transpose live audio (like a lecture that is happening) into a running text file. does anyone know if that was for mac or if there is something similar for mac?

So my main hard drive is filling up, and now that I have a functioning hard drive, I was wondering if it was possible to use my external hard drive for swap space for virtual memory when I have it plugged in? My /private/var/vm folder is still there on it...

btkadams said:
i seem to remember seeing an ad or reading somewhere about an application that you can have transpose live audio (like a lecture that is happening) into a running text file. does anyone know if that was for mac or if there is something similar for mac?
http://www.nuance.com/for-individuals/by-product/dragon-for-mac/dragon-dictate/index.htm

Hi guys, I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this, its more an Ipad question but you guys seem pretty jacked up so maybe you could help me.Let me tell you the whole story.

We have a Makro(big wholesaler like Target) dedicated Garage forecourt team who go out and place orders at Garages around the region.
We have invested in 2 Ipad’s (Ipad 2 3G) and hope to find software that we can use to transmit the orders placed at the garages back to head office.

We are looking for some sort of database with front end that can synchronise every now and then and send captured orders to a central database.
I have heard that Apple has got MS Access as a package and believe this will work for us but need clarity on weather this is the best way to go or are there better suggestions out there?

If you guys have any info that can help me I will tell tales of your compassion.

FerranMG

MDJCM said:
You can always use Image Capture program in the Apps folder for manual image import. But you should also see the SD card pop up in iphoto's left hand menu anyway. If it doesn't, eject the card and put it back in

I actually saw the SD card in iPhoto's left hand menu, but there was no way I could import the pictures. I could see the pictures in the SD card, but I coulnd't find a way to create a new album in my hdd and put the pictures from the SD card in there. :/

mrkgoo

FerranMG said:
I actually saw the SD card in iPhoto's left hand menu, but there was no way I could import the pictures. I could see the pictures in the SD card, but I coulnd't find a way to create a new album in my hdd and put the pictures from the SD card in there. :/

You don't generally put images from an external drive directly into an album in iPhoto.

iPhoto is primarily a file management program. It stores a library of image photos inside of a database, and then you create 'albums', which are more like 'playlists' in iTunes - that is, they are a series of links which link to photos in your database.

So what you have to do is import the images from the SD card into iPhoto library itself. There will be some 'import' button. This will create an event (more or less a 'roll' of film, or an 'import event'), and then you can make an album from the event.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
cooljeanius said:
Have you tried following this?
http://lifehacker.com/5531037/how-t...-with-windows-and-linux-no-boot-camp-required

I have a triple booted Macbook and it works perfectly fine.

A word of warning however, make sure Windows is in the top three partitions otherwise it will not boot up.

FerranMG

mrkgoo said:
You don't generally put images from an external drive directly into an album in iPhoto.

iPhoto is primarily a file management program. It stores a library of image photos inside of a database, and then you create 'albums', which are more like 'playlists' in iTunes - that is, they are a series of links which link to photos in your database.

So what you have to do is import the images from the SD card into iPhoto library itself. There will be some 'import' button. This will create an event (more or less a 'roll' of film, or an 'import event'), and then you can make an album from the event.

Ok, thanks a lot.
I actually dismissed the import pop-up you mention, I'll look for it later.
Is it easy, then, to recover pictures from this iPhoto database?
I mean, if I ever wanted to copy them somewhere else, could I do it straight ahead, or I would have problems due to not having the original file?

mrkgoo

FerranMG said:
Ok, thanks a lot.
I actually dismissed the import pop-up you mention, I'll look for it later.
Is it easy, then, to recover pictures from this iPhoto database?
I mean, if I ever wanted to copy them somewhere else, could I do it straight ahead, or I would have problems due to not having the original file?

iPhoto always keeps the originals in their untouched forms.

The idea is that if you need them somewhere else, you can export them. You have options to export the original file. Think of iPhoto as a portal to your photos. YOu no longer manage the files, iPhoto does, and in return when you need any image, you get iPhoto to find them for you, be it by having them linked in albums, or searching metadata.

Manipulation in iPhoto is completely non-destructive. That is, you never touch the original. All edits are made on a copy, so you can always revert back to the original.

The iPhoto Library "package" is nothing more than a special folder. Inside, all your photos are arranged by year and then event, I believe (it used to be year/month/day, but they changed it). If you really want, you can access it by right-clicking on the Library file and selecting "Show package contents". HOWEVER, I recommend not doing that unless you absolutely know what you're doing inside there, as messing about in there can corrupt your entire iPhoto library database.

FerranMG

mrkgoo said:
iPhoto always keeps the originals in their untouched forms.

The idea is that if you need them somewhere else, you can export them. You have options to export the original file. Think of iPhoto as a portal to your photos. YOu no longer manage the files, iPhoto does, and in return when you need any image, you get iPhoto to find them for you, be it by having them linked in albums, or searching metadata.

Manipulation in iPhoto is completely non-destructive. That is, you never touch the original. All edits are made on a copy, so you can always revert back to the original.

The iPhoto Library "package" is nothing more than a special folder. Inside, all your photos are arranged by year and then event, I believe (it used to be year/month/day, but they changed it). If you really want, you can access it by right-clicking on the Library file and selecting "Show package contents". HOWEVER, I recommend not doing that unless you absolutely know what you're doing inside there, as messing about in there can corrupt your entire iPhoto library database.

Cool, thanks a ton once again. :)
Will take a look at it as soon as I have a moment to spare.

Barrett2

Any recommendations for a good free or cheap task management application?

I don't need anything too complicated, just something to manage my work projects. I see the App store has a few really expensive ones, but im' hoping to not spend more than a few bucks.

noah111

Still Alive
Not sure if this is for you, but if you want something simple and clean, use Anxiety. It's been a real convenience for me anyway.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning

Jme

LibreOffice.org (used to be OpenOffice.org) is your best bet for a free office suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) clones.

The_Monk

Hello everyone, have a quick one here that I can't find the way.

I'm playing a game on Steam. Then I want to go to my Desktop let's say, to answer on Skype or to go to the Internet.

How do I do? What do I need to click?

I tried cmd + Q but that just quit my game and then I return to the Desktop...

How can I do this without the game quitting? Thanks a lot in advance! :)

Dachande

So I've bought an 11" Air. Hopefully should get it in the next couple of days.

Is there a good list of default software I might need when I first get my laptop? What about playing videos? Quicktime sucks a bit.

I'd ask for alternatives for music players as I detest iTunes, but I'll try it on Mac where it's supposedly better. I wish I could cleanse it with fire from my PC though.

The_Monk

Dachande said:
So I've bought an 11" Air. Hopefully should get it in the next couple of days.

Is there a good list of default software I might need when I first get my laptop? What about playing videos? Quicktime sucks a bit.

I'd ask for alternatives for music players as I detest iTunes, but I'll try it on Mac where it's supposedly better. I wish I could cleanse it with fire from my PC though.

I use VLC for both and so far I'm very glad, it's light and it's Free. :)

Ps: If anyone can answer my question above, thank you.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Monk: CMD + H should hide the app in the foreground.

Ashhong

The_Monk said:
Hello everyone, have a quick one here that I can't find the way.

I'm playing a game on Steam. Then I want to go to my Desktop let's say, to answer on Skype or to go to the Internet.

How do I do? What do I need to click?

I tried cmd + Q but that just quit my game and then I return to the Desktop...

How can I do this without the game quitting? Thanks a lot in advance! :)

Can't you just press cmd+tab to tab to another app? Or is that not an option when playing a game?

The_Monk

Bboy AJ I tried to put a game, then click it on cmd + H and it didn't work...

Ashhong apparently when I'm playing a game I can't do that =/

Thanks to you both, if you find a way please tell, because I'm a noob on a Mac and this simple thing is driving me crazy.

mac-boy

The_Monk said:
Bboy AJ I tried to put a game, then click it on cmd + H and it didn't work...

Ashhong apparently when I'm playing a game I can't do that =/

Thanks to you both, if you find a way please tell, because I'm a noob on a Mac and this simple thing is driving me crazy.

Try to shift + tab out of the game in steam, and see if Exposé (4 finger swipe up or down) works.

mac-boy

Exposé is just swiping 4 fingers up or down on the trackpad, and it should work for Lion because I know it works in Snow Leopard. you could also run the game in a window if you're still having trouble. That way you'd have access to the desktop.

The_Monk

mac-boy said:
Exposé is just swiping 4 fingers up or down on the trackpad.

Oh you ninja edited, didn't saw. But it didn't work either.

If anyone have a Mac and play a game through Steam and find a way, please tell, thank you! :)

deim0s

Anybody using transmission?

I fired it up recently and noticed that the port is always closed. The port in question is already forwarded to my router (which I haven't touched in years) and tested on utorrent which reports that it is open and connectable.

The_Monk said:
Oh you ninja edited, didn't saw. But it didn't work either.

If anyone have a Mac and play a game through Steam and find a way, please tell, thank you! :)
It really depends on the game you're playing. All of Valve's games (maybe even all Source engine games, idk) let you switch to other things while you're playing them. Most other games use their own fullscreen API that lets them lock all inputs to only go to them. Check the video options and see if there's an option to play them windowed, if they're windowed, you should be able to switch back.

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah. There are like half a dozen ways to do Fullscreen. Lion's is the most logical, but games don't use it. Most of the time they take over the computer and don't let any access to the OS unless they give up control first. Which most don't. For instance, Minecraft when put into Fullscreen takes over completely, overriding anything the OS tries to grab. No Command+Tab. No minimize. You have to leave it to get back. This is bad because it completely disregards any stability the OS might have since you have no way to force quit it if it starts acting up.

Another Fullscreen mode is one that changes the resolution of the display first. I hate these too.

Lion's is genius. Since you can keep the app fullscreen and switch away from it without quitting it. If only games took advantage of it and were set up to pause themselves when they lose focus.

Jasoco said:
Yeah. There are like half a dozen ways to do Fullscreen. Lion's is the most logical, but games don't use it. Most of the time they take over the computer and don't let any access to the OS unless they give up control first. Which most don't. For instance, Minecraft when put into Fullscreen takes over completely, overriding anything the OS tries to grab. No Command+Tab. No minimize. You have to leave it to get back. This is bad because it completely disregards any stability the OS might have since you have no way to force quit it if it starts acting up.

Another Fullscreen mode is one that changes the resolution of the display first. I hate these too.

Lion's is genius. Since you can keep the app fullscreen and switch away from it without quitting it. If only games took advantage of it and were set up to pause themselves when they lose focus.
Which is one of the reasons I'm waiting to upgrade to Lion. Sure, it has a lot of great features, but a lot of programs still haven't been updated to work with them yet.

Edit: Post #10,000 in this thread!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I should be doing hw said:
Is flux still fucked up on Lion? I'm still waiting on official support on that.
Works fine for me.

I've been trying to get a job at an electronics retail store that sell Apple products, which are quite popular in terms of drawing in customers. Often you'll get someone who isn't IT savvy asking questions about the Macs and that's fairly simple to deal with. But sometimes you'll get someone who is a frequent computer user who enquires about the Macs and asks the inevitable 'why a Mac over Windows'? It's fine having conversations and debates about it on forums, but how do you sell a person a Mac over a PC in a retail store?

Top Bottom