• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

is there an app that lets me have more than 1 full screen window when im plugged into an external monitor?

id like to have netflix or something playing on my external while i do stuff on the mbp.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
is there an app that lets me have more than 1 full screen window when im plugged into an external monitor?

id like to have netflix or something playing on my external while i do stuff on the mbp.
Not that I've seen yet. I really hope 10.9 has better Fullscreen support. I want to be able to put windows on different monitors in fullscreen and drag them between them and manage them much better. It's really stupid and such a lazy way of programming to have it just blank out the other screens.

Just make it so in Mission Control we can grab a fullscreen window and drag it to another screen and have it stay there and no longer stay on the main monitor. Then make it so we can put more than one fullscreen window on the other display and have us able to swipe between them depending on which screen the cursor is currently on. Basically treat each display as a different mission control center that we manually drag apps or windows to.

DO IT APPLE. This is how it should work. What's the point of introducing a magical FullScreen mode and including multiple display ports on your machines if you're not going to make them work together?

nib95

Banned
Can someone recommend me on the best app that allows a similar "snap to edge" feature to Windows 7? I.e, quickly half two windows open half half, just by snapping them to the edges. I've googled it, but not really sure which of the options is best today.

tanuki

Can someone recommend me on the best app that allows a similar "snap to edge" feature to Windows 7? I.e, quickly half two windows open half half, just by snapping them to the edges. I've googled it, but not really sure which of the options is best today.

Better Touch Tool includes this, as well as it's crazy multi-touch customization.

jts

...hate me...
Yep, I use BTT for that, although I realize I use it just for that.

Been meaning to try out Divvy for window management.

Number45

What's the recommended file system for an external HDD that I want to use primarily on Mac, but it would be useful to use on Windows occasionally as well? exFat?I assume that doesn't have the same 4GB file limit that FAT32 has?

What's the recommended file system for an external HDD that I want to use primarily on Mac, but it would be useful to use on Windows occasionally as well? exFat?I assume that doesn't have the same 4GB file limit that FAT32 has?

Yup, exFAT is the way to go. No 4GB limit. It's just a shame the PS3 is limited to FAT32.

I'm getting a new SSD on friday. As I don't have a dual layer DVD to burn on or USB stick to put Mountain Lion on it, I'm going to install Snow Leopard on
it first and then upgrade to Mountain Lion. Any reason why I shouldn't do this?

Thanks

So does anyone have any experience with using Airplay display Mirroring with a device with an HD4000 versus an HD3000 GPU? (Sandy Bridge versus Ivy Bridge?)

I ask because while Airplay Mirroring is nice, there is still a very noticeable lag between the on-board display and the image on the TV screen, and I know one thing that was dramatically improved with the HD4000 over the HD3000 was the QuickSync dedicated video encoder, and I wonder if the HD4000 has less lag.

How about using an Ethernet connection versus WiFi? Does that reduce the lag at all? I'm guessing not. Right now, my setup is 450Mbps wireless to my AirPort Extreme, and then a gigabit connection between my AirPort Extreme and my AppleTV.

nib95

Banned
Because I didn't need all the extra features of BTT, I just bought and downloaded Better Snap Tool instead (from the app store). I know I could have got these features free with BTT, but I don't mind paying £1.49 to help the developer. Great piece of software. Quick, light weight on resources, with lots of options and great functionality.

nib95

Banned
I use Hyper Dock instead of BTT. It does the same but in addition offers some cool window preview management.

This is going to sound really anal, but do you use Battery Health? Any idea how much extra amperage, wattage or memory Hyper Dock uses? All I know is BTT uses a negligible amount more. Costs me about 5 mins extra total battery time having it running lol.

This is going to sound really anal, but do you use Battery Health? Any idea how much extra amperage, wattage or memory Hyper Dock uses? All I know is BTT uses a negligible amount more. Costs me about 5 mins extra total battery time having it running lol.

My battery is in immediate need of replacing so not sure how useful my input will be. But I'll install it and give you a reading when I can

I'm upgrading to a new hard drive and I was wondering if anyone knows how it handles the windows partition? Does it copy that or just your osx portion when you use time machine to install onto the new hard drive? Thanks!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I still prefer BetterTouchTool.

I do wish though that there was an application that would fix the Finder's shitty "Zoom" feature. It NEVER zooms to fit the contents. Ever. Not at all. It gets the width right most of the time, but the height is always arbitrary. Sometimes it's higher than the content. Sometimes lower. But never exact. In icon view it never knows how to work right at all.

OS 9's Finder was perfect. Especially in this regard. And ever since they broke it 10 years ago they only fixed it once, a few years ago, for a few weeks before the next point update came along.

I use the Finder using the OS 9 paradigm. Where each folder is a separate entity and each folder opens separately. But ever since OS X added the toolbar and sidebar and made it open folders in place, it's been screwed up. You can turn the sidebar and toolbar off and it keeps coming back when you don't want it.

I've tried switching to Path Finder a few times but it just never sticks. PF seems so full of bloat and just looks wrong. I just want Apple to FIX THE F**KING FINDER ALREADY. It's literally the only thing I've asked from Apple for the past 6 or 7 cat versions and it's the only thing I never get.

I could see a third-party app being able to fix the zooming issue though. As long as they have access to folder view information like content size. I've seen apps like Moom which let you move windows to certain places on the screen, but that's not what I want to do at all.

Baconbitz

Banned
I plugged my headphones into my mac for the first time. 3 times my itunes just starts playing. I closed my iTunes and it just relaunched. It's doing it randomly.

I plugged my headphones into my mac for the first time. 3 times my itunes just starts playing. I closed my iTunes and it just relaunched. It's doing it randomly.

If it doesn't go away, take it to an Apple store or set up a call with Apple Care (if you are still covered). That isn't normal.

mrkgoo

I still prefer BetterTouchTool.

I do wish though that there was an application that would fix the Finder's shitty "Zoom" feature. It NEVER zooms to fit the contents. Ever. Not at all. It gets the width right most of the time, but the height is always arbitrary. Sometimes it's higher than the content. Sometimes lower. But never exact. In icon view it never knows how to work right at all.

OS 9's Finder was perfect. Especially in this regard. And ever since they broke it 10 years ago they only fixed it once, a few years ago, for a few weeks before the next point update came along.

I use the Finder using the OS 9 paradigm. Where each folder is a separate entity and each folder opens separately. But ever since OS X added the toolbar and sidebar and made it open folders in place, it's been screwed up. You can turn the sidebar and toolbar off and it keeps coming back when you don't want it.

I've tried switching to Path Finder a few times but it just never sticks. PF seems so full of bloat and just looks wrong. I just want Apple to FIX THE F**KING FINDER ALREADY. It's literally the only thing I've asked from Apple for the past 6 or 7 cat versions and it's the only thing I never get.

I could see a third-party app being able to fix the zooming issue though. As long as they have access to folder view information like content size. I've seen apps like Moom which let you move windows to certain places on the screen, but that's not what I want to do at all.

I thought you could open folders in a new window if you wanted.

At any rate, I haven't used icon view once I discovered column view.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I thought you could open folders in a new window if you wanted.

At any rate, I haven't used icon view once I discovered column view.
I never use Column view OR Coverflow view. I like Column view though, but it doesn't fit my workflow at all. Which consists of having windows open to specific folders set to list view with colored labels for categorizing importance.

Sometimes the Finder likes to say "NO U!" though and completely forgets settings I set and checkboxes I checked. i.e. it likes to occasionally set to a different view, change to a different size or activate the toolbar when I don't want it to with no rhyme or reason. It's a complete mess and I know Apple is trying to get away from a file system based OS paradigm but goddamn. Some of us like having a filesystem. Especially us programmers who need access to that stuff.

Bring back the OS 9 Finder! It was the best one. The BEST one.

mrkgoo

I never use Column view OR Coverflow view. I like Column view though, but it doesn't fit my workflow at all. Which consists of having windows open to specific folders set to list view with colored labels for categorizing importance.

Sometimes the Finder likes to say "NO U!" though and completely forgets settings I set and checkboxes I checked. i.e. it likes to occasionally set to a different view, change to a different size or activate the toolbar when I don't want it to with no rhyme or reason. It's a complete mess and I know Apple is trying to get away from a file system based OS paradigm but goddamn. Some of us like having a filesystem. Especially us programmers who need access to that stuff.

Bring back the OS 9 Finder! It was the best one. The BEST one.

I see your point. For me, Mac OS/iOS has always been more frustrating if you try to bend it to your will. It's not so easy. I find it less frustrating to adapt. Of course, that is not an option for many.

There's actually a set of rules as to how folders behave in finder, but it's all very cryptic, like folder views are saved within a folder, without global settings and so on. I recall one hurdle that I went over that helped me manage was discovering that folder settings (for example window size) only get saved if you make a change and close it WITHOUT doing any navigation or clicking within it. As soon as you click within a resized finder window, it treats the resize event as a temporary instance.

And as you say, without any reason, sometimes the settings default themselves, or, in my case, annoyingly have no 'default' setting.

Best super clean/simple/minimal music player for macs that's not iTunes?

I don't give a shit about library management or anything, i essentially just want foobar2k for a mac if anything similar exists.

jts

...hate me...
Mac gurus, what's the deal with custom Fusion Drives not hibernating properly?

CoreStorage doesn't support sleepimage?

Already lost work because of it :(

kennah

Was looking to replace the HDD in my Macbook Pro (early 2011) with a SSD. Any that work better than the rest?

Samsung 840 Pro, Samsung 830 or Crucial m4. Do not get a Samsung 840 (non pro). Get as big a one as you can afford :) And enjoy what will feel like a brand new computer.

injurai

Banned
As an entrenched windows/linux user I saw someone using a new retina macbook pro today. I think I just stared at the screen for a good 5 minutes... But it looked beautiful. Not really in the market but my interest has piqued.

I'm contemplating to upgrade to Mountain Lion as I'm currently on Lion. I always like to do a clean install than an upgrade. I like the idea of having my system in a clean state free from all the clusters accumulated over the time on Lion.

Is there any real advantages or disadvantages with clean install and upgrade? Will it make much difference, is it worth the hassle?

If I do a clean install, how can I retrieve my iLife applications as my Mac did not come with any CD. I don't want to buy it again.

Is there any real advantages or disadvantages with clean install and upgrade? Will it make much difference, is it worth the hassle?

It's pointless as far as I'm concerned, but I don't use much software that tinkers with system stuff.

If I do a clean install, how can I retrieve my iLife applications as my Mac did not come with any CD. I don't want to buy it again.

They should be registered to your Apple ID in the Mac App Store (see 'purchased' section). Once you've done that, just download them on the new install.

They should be registered to your Apple ID in the Mac App Store (see 'purchased' section). Once you've done that, just download them on the new install.
I just had a look at my purchases in the App Store. I have GarageBand, iMovie and iPhoto. I also have iWeb and iDVD and they are not in my Purchases list. How else can I retrieve them if I do a clean install?

I just had a look at my purchases in the App Store. I have GarageBand, iMovie and iPhoto. I also have iWeb and iDVD and they are not in my Purchases list. How else can I retrieve them if I do a clean install?
iDVD and iWeb are discontinued, they are not included with new Macs anymore. What year is your Mac?

JayDub

Not that I've seen yet. I really hope 10.9 has better Fullscreen support. I want to be able to put windows on different monitors in fullscreen and drag them between them and manage them much better. It's really stupid and such a lazy way of programming to have it just blank out the other screens.

Just make it so in Mission Control we can grab a fullscreen window and drag it to another screen and have it stay there and no longer stay on the main monitor. Then make it so we can put more than one fullscreen window on the other display and have us able to swipe between them depending on which screen the cursor is currently on. Basically treat each display as a different mission control center that we manually drag apps or windows to.

DO IT APPLE. This is how it should work. What's the point of introducing a magical FullScreen mode and including multiple display ports on your machines if you're not going to make them work together?

Wait, what? I havent used an external monitor yet, but Im planning to. You're saying I can't use my MBP + external monitor concurrently? What if I dont use full screen? What the hell.

kennah

Wait, what? I havent used an external monitor yet, but Im planning to. You're saying I can't use my MBP + external monitor concurrently? What if I dont use full screen? What the hell.

If you don't use the Full Screen mode that got introduced with Lion it will work like it always has, but as soon as you put something into the Full Screen Mode the other screens are unusable. It is the weirdest thing ever.

JayDub

If you don't use the Full Screen mode that got introduced with Lion it will work like it always has, but as soon as you put something into the Full Screen Mode the other screens are unusable. It is the weirdest thing ever.

Well that's a relief. But totally dumb about the full screen mode thing.

mrkgoo

It's just that the full screen implementation for apps, which are sort of meant to be single app-based (kind of like iOS), don't really play well with multiple monitors. When in full screen, the main monitor has your app the other displays a linen backdrop.

When you are on your desktop, it has both monitors as per usual. I think it would be nice if you could put different full screen apps on the monitors or maybe have one remain on the desktop, but it raises a few minor UI inconsistencies. Nothing that couldn't be resolved but I guess Apple haven't really done much about it yet.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, Fullscreen is great when you only have one display. But if you're one of the many multiple display users, you might as well ignore its existence until Apple hopefully figures out a better way to handle it. Seriously. I love Fullscreen, but it keeps me from wanting to sit at my desk and use my 20" ACD. (That I got in 2005 and has a resolution of 1680x1050.)

I'm really really hoping for some Fullscreen revamps in 10.9.

Wonder if Aperture's full screen mode hit a public or private API to do multiscreen fullscreen? It has had fullscreen for years, but in 10.7 and 10.8 it looks and feels like the system one, except for multimonitor support.

mrkgoo

Yeah, Fullscreen is great when you only have one display. But if you're one of the many multiple display users, you might as well ignore its existence until Apple hopefully figures out a better way to handle it. Seriously. I love Fullscreen, but it keeps me from wanting to sit at my desk and use my 20" ACD. (That I got in 2005 and has a resolution of 1680x1050.)

I'm really really hoping for some Fullscreen revamps in 10.9.

I still use full screen. I keep my iTunes, and Mail off on another screen, so I swipe to access them. I use safari on my desktop and not fullscreen anymore, so I can see other stuff while browsing.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Speaking of fullscreen, I absolutely hate iPhoto's. It's absolutely useless. It gives the application a completely different user interface. I wish there was an option to have it go Fullscreen but keep the normal UI with the sidebar and everything. Like iTunes. And Every other stupid application. It's the only different one.

Aperture's layout changes, which is probably where iPhoto gets it. I absolutely love Aperture's: it's the best place to do edits. Wish Silver Efex Pro would work in full-screen.

Also, iPhoto feels much more bloated than when I used it as a DAM before Aperture. I only use it once a year, to make calendars at Christmas time.

mrkgoo

Aperture's layout changes, which is probably where iPhoto gets it. I absolutely love Aperture's: it's the best place to do edits. Wish Silver Efex Pro would work in full-screen.

Also, iPhoto feels much more bloated than when I used it as a DAM before Aperture. I only use it once a year, to make calendars at Christmas time.

I keep trying Aperture full screen, but I get lost. The menu bar controls disappear, so it's all up to shortcuts.

I'm used to having the inspector over to the side like a side bar, so it's disconcerting to have my library navigation as a pallette on another screen.

It seems to be buggy as well. Like when I flip to full screen, to flip back, you normally bring up the hidden menu bar. HOwever, in Aperture the menu bar is gone. I can't see stuff like my clock or battery life etc. And the return to non-full screen put me back on the desktop, but with no menu bar, and just apertures icon bar. I had to google how to toggle full screen to get it to sit properly.

I think I asked before but what is teh benefit of full screen aperture, besides a bit more desk top space? The second screen allows you to put palletes, but I kind of do that with maxmised window view anyway.

I think I asked before but what is teh benefit of full screen aperture, besides a bit more desk top space? The second screen allows you to put palletes, but I kind of do that with maxmised window view anyway.

I'd been using Aperture fullscreen prior to 10.7, so going in and out of it is long second nature to me. I also have most of the keyboard shortcuts memorized. The boxed versions of Aperture came with cardboard keyboard maps; very helpful, since it's Apple pro-software, and everything has a keyboard shortcut.

I have window-Aperture set up so that my secondary display (17") is mirroring the primary image, while the main monitor (24") has the window in browser mode ('v' to toggle between browser, viewer, and split). In full screen, I have this reversed, so that the secondary display is in browser mode and the primary screen is displaying my image as big as I can have it. I have the palate on the inside edge of the secondary screen in full screen.

The big draw is distraction-free editing. I do most of my organizing/reviewing/culling/metadata/exporting work in window-mode.

Top Bottom