• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Ambitious

I've got several accounts set up in Mail.app. For my university account, I've got two addresses - one with my student number and one with my full name. The latter one will expire soon, so I just deleted the corresponding outgoing SMTP server. But the address is still listed in the From field in New Mail windows. I've already restarted Mail and checked the SMTP server list again, it's not there. How can I remove it?

edit: The problem was not the SMTP server. There were still both addresses in the address field in the account settings.

anyone know how I can get my macbook air to remember my prefered network?

everytime it goes to sleep and I wake it up I have to connect to the internet manually again. It seems to forget my prefered network.

So according to a poster on MacRumors, 10.8.3 contains new OpenGL extensions for OpenGL 3.3. That's pretty significant. No word on how many are added or what they are.

Regardless, a major update in GPU drivers.

Hopefully they get this update out soon. It's more than ridiculous at this point, especially when we're stuck on a .2 release, compared to something like a .5 or later release.

Ambitious

So according to a poster on MacRumors, 10.8.3 contains new OpenGL extensions for OpenGL 3.3. That's pretty significant. No word on how many are added or what they are.

Regardless, a major update in GPU drivers.

Hopefully they get this update out soon. It's more than ridiculous at this point, especially when we're stuck on a .2 release, compared to something like a .5 or later release.

So we can expect better graphics performance (e.g. when scrolling) on rMBPs, right?

I have a really weird new problem.

I can no longer drag and drop images from iphoto to finder, this used to work with no problems what so ever.
I've tried rebuilding the permissions and database, but to no avail...

mrkgoo

I have a really weird new problem.

I can no longer drag and drop images from iphoto to finder, this used to work with no problems what so ever.
I've tried rebuilding the permissions and database, but to no avail...

What do you mean you "can't"? It won't show the dragging photos on the cursor? Or it does but errors out when you let go?

Try rebooting your computer?

ok, good question, usually when you drag and drop you have the green plus indicating that you are copying that does not appear and the picture(s) are just greyed out and when i release the mouse button nothing happens.

mrkgoo

ok, good question, usually when you drag and drop you have the green plus indicating that you are copying that does not appear and the picture(s) are just greyed out and when i release the mouse button nothing happens.
Interesting. I've had some weirdness like that every now and again. Normally the basic escalating troubleshooting techniques fix it up (repair permissions, restart software, restart computer etc).

Check permissions on your desktop folder specifically. Also it's possible to access a secret troubleshooting mode in iPhoto for repairing permissions on the iPhoto library (I assume - haven't used iPhoto for a whole. Hold command and/or option while opening iPhoto.).

So we can expect better graphics performance (e.g. when scrolling) on rMBPs, right?

No. There are new graphics drivers, but new OpenGL extensions simply mean new APIs that developers will be able to take advantage of for better looking graphics, and sometimes significant performance gains.

I've had this issue with Wallpaper changing back to the system default/what I set it to months ago whenever the mac is restarted and sometimes goes into sleep mode. I have no idea why it does this.

When going back into the "change desktop background" menu, it usually fixes itself up if I click around in there, but will then be back how it was next time I reboot.

This is fucking annoying. I've googled and read and tried a whole bunch of things including deleting things like com.apple.desktop.plist and com.apple.systempreferences folders, to no avail.

Has anyone else ever had this and solved it?

RMBP with OSX 10.8.2

Roki6

Banned
I am on 10.8.2 and I installed Java some time ago to play Minecraft.

Now I want to remove Java, but I don't see it in Settings app. Is there a removal tool or I need to do it manually from Terminal.app ?

Ambitious

I am on 10.8.2 and I installed Java some time ago to play Minecraft.

Now I want to remove Java, but I don't see it in Settings app. Is there a removal tool or I need to do it manually from Terminal.app ?

That seems to be the case.

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/*.jdk

Afterwards, enter "java -version" to verify it's fully gone. The dialog asking if you want to download Java should appear then.

sorry to bring this up.

is there a good plugin for safari " if possible " or firefox that allow me to download the video i am watching from youtube or any other site ?

i remember someone here mentioning a program that shows a download button just beside the resolution button etc that if you click on it, it will make u choose what resolution you want to download the video and then it starts downloading by it self.

i forgot if thats on safari or firefox. but either way i need a good youtube downloader aside from that stupid 3 balloons plugin on fire fox.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
sorry to bring this up.

is there a good plugin for safari " if possible " or firefox that allow me to download the video i am watching from youtube or any other site ?

i remember someone here mentioning a program that shows a download button just beside the resolution button etc that if you click on it, it will make u choose what resolution you want to download the video and then it starts downloading by it self.

i forgot if thats on safari or firefox. but either way i need a good youtube downloader aside from that stupid 3 balloons plugin on fire fox.
For Firefox (which I only use for one thing) I use DownloadHelper. Works amazingly on any website with video that's not protected by DRM or some other fancy trick. I keep FF around just for downloading video for keeps.

Edit: Oh, I think that might be the "stupid three balloons" plugin you are talking about. Might I ask why you don't like it?

hirokazu

Is there really no way to automatically disable hot corners when running a fullscreen app?

I really hope they add such an option but this doesn't seem like something they give a shit about, let alone something high on Apple's priority lists.

But it's really damn annoying when I try to play Civ V or run Windows 8 on a VM.

FerranMG

I have a folder with video files and subtitles.
Of course, the names don't match, and I'm tired of renaming the files manually.

Can anybody explain a good way to rename a batch of files?
The idea is that I have videoFile01.avi, ..., videoFileNN.avi, subtitlesFile01.srt, ..., subtitlesFileNN.srt, and I want to rename the subtitles file so that, in the end, I have videoFile01.avi, ..., videoFileNN.avi, videoFile01.srt, ..., videoFileNN.srt.

Thanks!

Does anybody know how I can reset Safari window positioning and size to the default initial? You know when you resize the window and reposition it to your preference. The application remembers it and next time you launch it, it will preserve your alteration. I want to reset it to like the first time you launched Safari. Deleting com.apple.Safari.plist doesn't reset it.

mrkgoo

I have a folder with video files and subtitles.
Of course, the names don't match, and I'm tired of renaming the files manually.

Can anybody explain a good way to rename a batch of files?
The idea is that I have videoFile01.avi, ..., videoFileNN.avi, subtitlesFile01.srt, ..., subtitlesFileNN.srt, and I want to rename the subtitles file so that, in the end, I have videoFile01.avi, ..., videoFileNN.avi, videoFile01.srt, ..., videoFileNN.srt.

Thanks!

Look into automator. Basically a visual click and drag way of having your mac make scripts for you, or run batch tasks.

Does anybody know how I can reset Safari window positioning and size to the default initial? You know when you resize the window and reposition it to your preference. The application remembers it and next time you launch it, it will preserve your alteration. I want to reset it to like the first time you launched Safari. Deleting com.apple.Safari.plist doesn't reset it.

As someone who is a bit OCD about keeping things default, it bugged me when I couldn't figure out how to default-erize my settings. I just learnt not to worry about it. Just drag to what you think is close to default and enjoy.

FerranMG

Look into automator. Basically a visual click and drag way of having your mac make scripts for you, or run batch tasks.

I tried Automator, but I couldn't find a way to get the name files from one place, and rename the other files with the names of the first files and a new extension.

FerranMG

BTW, does anybody know why does this happen to me?
I have repeated apps in several menus:

Captura_de_pantalla_2013_02_24_a_la_s_21_56_50.png

BTW, does anybody know why does this happen to me?
I have repeated apps in several menus:

Captura_de_pantalla_2013_02_24_a_la_s_21_56_50.png
Delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices.plist, then reboot. I think it's an issue with app updates leading to duplicate entries.

Edit: Alternatively you can run this in Terminal, and you don't need to reboot afterwards:

Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Are there any solutions to this? So stupid, Apple.

ibiRG7Rk9WfOQI.png
It's been discussed many times and no, there is no solution right now except to not use Fullscreen if you need to use more monitors.

We're all hoping Apple has fixed this stupid oversight for 10.9, but we won't know until it is revealed.

Mortalias

Neo Member
Whats the best way to clean up a rMBP?

I've started to notice everything taking so long to load or display about a month or two ago. About around the time I installed a Bootcamp partition(Win8).

It's getting pretty infuriating, as it used to load web pages instantly, Load eclipse and photoshop in seconds. But now everything takes noticeably longer. When I need to load a program in eclipse that is kinda long(550 lines, its long for me at least) it will take up to 2-3 minutes. Is this just me getting used to the speeds?

Hopefully this is the right thread, I always get confused as to which thread to post in. (Mac Hardware vs. OSX)

Have you installed CCleaner?

btkadams

hi guys, i have a bit of an ios/mac itunes issue here. i am a huge user of the apple remote app on ipad. i am ripping my bf's tv collection to his computer and organizing it in his itunes so that he can browse them on his ipad in the apple remote app, select an episode and have it play on his television.

my big issue is that i want the seasons to show as much information as an itunes tv season would. this includes air-date, episode description, etc. i used metax to enter the airdates and put all the other information into the episodes in itunes. in itunes, the ripped tv seasons look exactly the same as an itunes store tv season. awesome, right?

well, the apple remote app does not show any of this information. it just shows the episode names. no air date, no episode description. does anyone know what i can do in itunes to make it give this data to the remote app? what am i missing? all of that work entering in the airdates and episode descriptions is now pointless since it doesn't show in the app. it's not like he will be on his computer choosing an episode to play on the tv in another room of the house.

is there a better thread for me to ask this? or should i make a thread?

EDIT: i've posted this in the ituens thread, since it is probably more fitting. i'll update here if i find an answer in the other thread.

EDIT 2: solution found

Sorry I'm not much help, as I don't know the answer. iTunes can be a mystery sometimes. I was under a similar conundrum as I added some info to a movie I ripped and wanted it to show up on my iPad but it doesn't. I guess the metadata is somehow populated differently.

Edit: quick research in my issue reveals that there is a 'long description' area that shows on iPad:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2552895?start=0&tstart=0
Not sure but it may be the same reason why you don't see it on the remote app.

FerranMG

Delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices.plist, then reboot. I think it's an issue with app updates leading to duplicate entries.

Edit: Alternatively you can run this in Terminal, and you don't need to reboot afterwards:

Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

Thanks for the reply, but I can't neither find the com.apple.LaunchServices.plist file, or run the command you told me in Terminal.

Any idea?

mrkgoo

Thanks for the reply, but I can't neither find the com.apple.LaunchServices.plist file, or run the command you told me in Terminal.

Any idea?

The command should work(haven't looked at it though).

I have the same issue of multiple entire in the contextual menu and use the command to resolve it.

Note that the command changed for lion/mountain lion so do a search for 'multiple entries contextual menu' or something and look for your version of osx for the correct command.

Also, you may have to run it using 'sudo' (super user).

FerranMG

The command should work(haven't looked at it though).

I have the same issue of multiple entire in the contextual menu and use the command to resolve it.

Note that the command changed for lion/mountain lion so do a search for 'multiple entries contextual menu' or something and look for your version of osx for the correct command.

Also, you may have to run it using 'sudo' (super user).

All right, I managed to get it to work.
In the terminal, I was in the correct path, but had to type "./lsregister -kill -domain local -domain system -domain user" instead of just "lsregister -kill ...".
Thanks! :)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
So, is there any way to empty the trash from a USB drive without emptying the trash of the internal drive? The way OSX handles the trash bin is one of my gripes. :/
Super late to this but have you tried "Erase Free Space" in disk utility? Might work for this situation.

EDIT: for the longest time I didn't know deleted items in a thumb drive needed to be emptied from the trash. I was like "WTF why is my thumb drive full?!" For like a week before I noticed lol. I actually removed all my files reformatted and returned them at one point :/ *shame*

davidnic

What is the difference between iWorks and Microsoft Office for mac 2011?

Microsoft Office for mac is basically Microsoft Office 2007.

Baconbitz

Banned
Is there way to run IE on a mac? As of right now its too much of a hassle to run my windows machine. Also, I am using Chrome. I've tried a bunch of the IE extensions for Chrome and none of them wodk be ause I'm on osx. Unless there is an extension I don't know of that works on chrome in osx?

Edit: Is the only way really a virtualizer?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Doesn't dragging the window left/right work? That's how I got my windows to appear on my second monitor.
No, because there is no window to drag. This is Fullscreen mode you're looking at. The "window" takes up the main screen while the second display remains empty like a linen closet.

Because the texture is linen. Get it?

Number45

Is there way to run IE on a mac? As of right now its too much of a hassle to run my windows machine. Also, I am using Chrome. I've tried a bunch of the IE extensions for Chrome and none of them wodk be ause I'm on osx. Unless there is an extension I don't know of that works on chrome in osx?

Edit: Is the only way really a virtualizer?
All of those Chrome extensions basically hook into IE, so it needs to exist for those to work. Unless MS release IE for Mac I don't think you'll have a choice other than to virtualise it or run Windows on your Mac.

Top Bottom