• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OSX Noob thread of OSX noobs

Not to constantly barge in this thread but I have another question.

I know this may sound stupid but I'm asking this just incase. I downloaded Sleepless for my Mac so I can listen to music while the Macbook is closed. However a lot of the times when I open it back up or recover it from the screen being off a windows pops up saying "Try Purchasing the Full Version" or some crap.

Is there any way to stop this?

I know that there's Insomnia but I just can't stand its ugly icon on the menu bar. Well I may consider it if there was a way to change its icon on the menu bar.

Garou

Flying_Phoenix said:
Not to constantly barge in this thread but I have another question.

I know this may sound stupid but I'm asking this just incase. I downloaded Sleepless for my Mac so I can listen to music while the Macbook is closed. However a lot of the times when I open it back up or recover it from the screen being off a windows pops up saying "Try Purchasing the Full Version" or some crap.

Is there any way to stop this?

I know that there's Insomnia but I just can't stand its ugly icon on the menu bar. Well I may consider it if there was a way to change its icon on the menu bar.

How about trying to purchase the full version?

Garou

Flying_Phoenix said:
I was wondering if there was a way to disable it in "Preferences" or something.

If you really use it "a lot of the times" you could support the author by paying the 9.50$. I guess the author doesn't make those pop-up messages to annoy you, but to make a living out of his software.

LCfiner said:
:lol

you never used shareware before?

Please don't laugh at me. :(

No I always use shareware. I understand the supporting part. But the pop-ups annoy me. I was just wondering if I was missing something.

I guess I'll suck up Insomnia's bad icon. :(

Garou said:
If you really use it "a lot of the times" you could support the author by paying the 9.50$. I guess the author doesn't make those pop-up messages to annoy you, but to make a living out of his software.

By trying to annoy his users to convince that the advancements of the full version is worth the cash?

CTLance

That's how nagware works.
Flying_Phoenix said:
I've posted about changing the icon of folders before in this thread. I imagine that apps aren't any different in that regard.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
FUUUUUUUUUUCK my life...

I just bought a THIRD Airport Extreme router to get the dual-band functionality since the iPhone doesn't support Wireless-N yet, and no way in hell am I going to lose my pimp ass ~300 mbps connection to broadcast in N/G compatible mode for a 150mbps loss.

$179 so I can use my iPhone around my house a little faster.

...I have a fucking problem...

Tobor

I had an awful experience switching a friend to a Mac this weekend, purely because he's an idiot. Some purchased music on this PC, some on this HDD, some on his iPhone. WTF is wrong with people? Keep your shit in one library. It's not rocket science.

RubxQub

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Dear God, man. That's insane.
What makes it worse is that I can actually use all 3 routers.

1 serving wireless to the whole house, 1 giving hardline wireless N access to all my devices on my main TV (PS3, MacMini, Wii) and 1 to give me hardline wireless N access to my 360 on the TV in the other room.

I keep the Airport Express in my travel bag in case the hotel I get put up in only has hardline access to internet and create my own wireless network so I'm free to do shit on my bed.

...but I really need to sell one of these things so I can look at myself in the mirror tomorrow morning.
Tobor said:
I had an awful experience switching a friend to a Mac this weekend, purely because he's an idiot. Some purchased music on this PC, some on this HDD, some on his iPhone. WTF is wrong with people? Keep your shit in one library. It's not rocket science.
I'm a firm believer in buying into a specific ecosystem and doing things the way that ecosystem dictates.

...only problem is that I'm essentially locked into the Apple way of doing things for better or worse. Obviously I think it's better otherwise I wouldn't have taken such drastic steps to get where I am today, and I don't see Apple going anywhere in either the computer or the music/media space in quite some time.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
RubxQub said:

1 serving wireless to the whole house, 1 giving hardline wireless N access to all my devices on my main TV (PS3, MacMini, Wii) and 1 to give me hardline wireless N access to my 360 on the TV in the other room.

I keep the Airport Express in my travel bag in case the hotel I get put up in only has hardline access to internet and create my own wireless network so I'm free to do shit on my bed.

...but I really need to sell one of these things so I can look at myself in the mirror tomorrow morning.

I'm a firm believer in buying into a specific ecosystem and doing things the way that ecosystem dictates.

...only problem is that I'm essentially locked into the Apple way of doing things for better or worse. Obviously I think it's better otherwise I wouldn't have taken such drastic steps to get where I am today, and I don't see Apple going anywhere in either the computer or the music/media space in quite some time.

Holy shit. I think we need to sit you down for an intervention. You have an addiction son..

RubxQub

Fuck me, I think I'm going to return it. I feel like such a fuckface after having typed all that out.

...not to mention that my wife would murder my ass :lol

RubxQub said:

Do you test your speeds for the N routers? As neither the PS3 nor Wii are N enabled, and you could be wasting speed.

RubxQub

Mecha_Infantry said:
Do you test your speeds for the N routers? As neither the PS3 nor Wii are N enabled, and you could be wasting speed.
It's feeding them hardlines through the router, so they are just ingesting data as fast as the router can feed it.

Router 1: Spitting out wireless N
Router 2: Reading wireless N
Router 2: Pushing read content to devices hardlined to it.

Since they are connected via ethernet to the second router, it's like they are hardlined to the first router (which is connected to the modem upstairs).

RubxQub said:

You should use the AirPort Express as a repeater, and plug it in next to your stereo system. Then you can stream music via AirTunes. This is hands down the most awesome feature of the AirPort Express.

RubxQub said:
It's feeding them hardlines through the router, so they are just ingesting data as fast as the router can feed it.

Router 1: Spitting out wireless N
Router 2: Reading wireless N
Router 2: Pushing read content to devices hardlined to it.

Since they are connected via ethernet to the second router, it's like they are hardlined to the first router (which is connected to the modem upstairs).

Wait, you're basically using an AirPort Extreme as the world's most expensive 802.11n bridge? You do have a problem.

RubxQub

StrikerObi said:
You should use the AirPort Express as a repeater, and plug it in next to your stereo system. Then you can stream music via AirTunes. This is hands down the most awesome feature of the AirPort Express.

Wait, you're basically using an AirPort Extreme as the world's most expensive 802.11n bridge? You do have a problem.
Yeah, I used AirTunes until I bought my MacMini and set it up as my media center PC.

...and I returned the Airport Extreme! I RETURNED IT YOU HEAR ME! :lol

btkadams

helllllllllp!!!!! i just bought a new hdd for my macbook pro today. it's 500gb and has been confirmed to work in macbooks so lets get that part out of the way.

i have an external hdd that can fit my current hdd's data on it, but also has some of its own data on it that id liket o keep.

does anybody have any good links for how to change an early 2008 model macbook pro hdd? i want to copy my current internal hdd to my external (without losing the externals files), make the switch to my new internal, and transfer my data onto it from the external. please help i've been googling and i'm not sure the things i'm finding are appropriate for me because i want to KEEP my external hdd's files, not erase them and write over them.

can i just use the disk utility to back up my internal onto the external, then boot with the new internal and copy over? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

mrkgoo

Jal said:
Make a time machine backup onto the external then restore onto the new hdd.

Yes, as far as I know, Time Machine does not erase what's on the drive already. I hope. Provided it's formatted and partitioned correctly.

iFixit is the place you want to go to see how to rip open your mac. I've been considering this myself.

btkadams

Jal said:
Make a time machine backup onto the external then restore onto the new hdd.
will it be an exact copy? ive read on some sites that you have to reinstall applications... :/

and i have a guide bookmarked on ifixit now. thanks guys!

Not to barge in again. But does anyone notice that it's pretty easy to get dents in their Unibody Macbook? I have two (nothing major) dents on the back of the laptop and I haven't really been treating it that bad.

Tobor

btkadams said:
will it be an exact copy? ive read on some sites that you have to reinstall applications... :/

and i have a guide bookmarked on ifixit now. thanks guys!
I didnt have to reinstall anything. Some settings needed to be tweaked and iTunes needed to be reauthorized, but otherwise it was completely painless. Time Machine rocks.

I wanna buy something else Apple, here is my list so far:

-15" Macbook Pro
-iPhone 8GB
-In-ear Apple Headphones
-iPhone docking station

I'm looking to get possibly an Apple Time Machine, 24" Apple Cinema Display or something else?

Whats on your Apple shopping List?

Flying_Phoenix said:
Not to barge in again. But does anyone notice that it's pretty easy to get dents in their Unibody Macbook? I have two (nothing major) dents on the back of the laptop and I haven't really been treating it that bad.

It's aluminum... If you hit into into something it it will dent, yes. I have one dent from someone hitting a corner in the hallway.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
btkadams said:
helllllllllp!!!!! i just bought a new hdd for my macbook pro today. it's 500gb and has been confirmed to work in macbooks so lets get that part out of the way.

i have an external hdd that can fit my current hdd's data on it, but also has some of its own data on it that id liket o keep.

does anybody have any good links for how to change an early 2008 model macbook pro hdd? i want to copy my current internal hdd to my external (without losing the externals files), make the switch to my new internal, and transfer my data onto it from the external. please help i've been googling and i'm not sure the things i'm finding are appropriate for me because i want to KEEP my external hdd's files, not erase them and write over them.

can i just use the disk utility to back up my internal onto the external, then boot with the new internal and copy over? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Use CCC http://www.bombich.com/ to make an exact clone of your harddrive. Warning: external has to be empty, it will erase everything.

Does your external have firewire? you can then boot into the external, and clone the harddrive back.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
RubxQub said:
Pfft. I learn the rules of the ecosystem and bend them into a way more comfortable and useful for me.

Jet Grind Radio! said:
I have 3 Apple products, iPhone 3G, iPod Classic, and MacBook Pro, I really don't need or want anything else. The Cinema displays are gorgeous, but fuck that price.

£590 for a 24" isn't that bad if you compare is to the DELL sharp screens: http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&cs=ukdhs1&sku=147262

Plus you get the compatibility with the macbook like charger, etc. I think it's a good purchase, but I will need to save for it though

Mecha_Infantry said:
£590 for a 24" isn't that bad if you compare is to the DELL sharp screens: http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&cs=ukdhs1&sku=147262

Plus you get the compatibility with the macbook like charger, etc. I think it's a good purchase, but I will need to save for it though
It's $900 here. That's way too rich for my blood. I have a 23" ASUS monitor that is fantastic. I doesn't have iSight, or a built in mic, but the picture quality is pretty good. And I just use my 360 Webcam thingy when I video chat.

I would like a USB hub though.

Saya

Has anyone ever used Disk Utility to verify and repair an external HD? My MB can't see my external HD after it froze an hour ago. I am using Disk Utility now to repair the HD, but I don't hear my HD working. Usually I can hear it spinning.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It's aluminum... If you hit into into something it it will dent, yes. I have one dent from someone hitting a corner in the hallway.

Ugh. :(

Well at least they're on the bottom. I guess it's my fault for not buying a hard case.

Mar

Mecha_Infantry said:
I wanna buy something else Apple, here is my list so far:

-15" Macbook Pro
-iPhone 8GB
-In-ear Apple Headphones
-iPhone docking station

I'm looking to get possibly an Apple Time Machine, 24" Apple Cinema Display or something else?

Whats on your Apple shopping List?

I've got a few things I'd like but I'm trying to save money for a house at the moment. But these are all on my list:

iMac
Display
iPod Nano
Time Machine
Apple TV

GAF ! HALP !

I was working on Keynote with Spotify on, and suddenly, the song stoped. So I checked Spotify and it was still running, so I hit my Volume Up key and nothing happened. With a 10 sec lag, sound going up animation poped up on screen, but nothing happened next.

Then the Sound preference windows poped up for some reason and everything seemed to be okay. But still no sound. I reboot my MBA and no, NO MORE OUTPUT DEVICE to be found.

WTF ? Is my internal speaker just died ?

Edit: It seems that I don't have anymore INPUT device as well. I can't be a coincidence ?!

fireside

My MacBook's battery life is horrendous. It's one of the first generation MacBooks and whenever I unplug it it drops down to way to fast and once it gets down to like 60% (which can take like, ten minutes) it'll just shut down with no prompt or warning. It's always plugged in, mostly because of this problem, is this why the battery life sucks so much? Can I fix it without buying a new battery? I'd occasionally like to use it as an actual laptop but this problem is preventing me from doing so.

fireside said:
My MacBook's battery life is horrendous. It's one of the first generation MacBooks and whenever I unplug it it drops down to way to fast and once it gets down to like 60% (which can take like, ten minutes) it'll just shut down with no prompt or warning. It's always plugged in, mostly because of this problem, is this why the battery life sucks so much? Can I fix it without buying a new battery? I'd occasionally like to use it as an actual laptop but this problem is preventing me from doing so.

It's possible that the battery needs to be calibrated badly, but it sounds like it's totally drained:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

mrkgoo

fireside said:

The removable batteries from matchbooks have a life span of about 2-3 years of reasonable use. After even on year, the battery life drops significantly.

My old G4 Powerbook, after 3 years had a battery life of approximately 15 minutes. My current MBP which I have had for not even 2 years has about 50% the battery life of what it was when it was new.

This is life with batteries (and I calibrate reasonably often, every couple months).

You can try calibrations as suggested above, but likely, if it's a first gen MacBook, you just need a new battery.

The Unibody non-removable batteries are supposed to have crazy long lifespans, and don't lose significant life until 5 years.

fireside

mrkgoo said:
The removable batteries from matchbooks have a life span of about 2-3 years of reasonable use. After even on year, the battery life drops significantly.

My old G4 Powerbook, after 3 years had a battery life of approximately 15 minutes. My current MBP which I have had for not even 2 years has about 50% the battery life of what it was when it was new.

This is life with batteries (and I calibrate reasonably often, every couple months).

You can try calibrations as suggested above, but likely, if it's a first gen MacBook, you just need a new battery.

The Unibody non-removable batteries are supposed to have crazy long lifespans, and don't lose significant life until 5 years.
Yeah, I am/was just hoping that my battery would still be in "good shape" since it only has 49 cycles. Hopefully it'll improve when I calibrate it (thanks for the link teruterubozu) but I'm not really expecting anything.

ok after a month of using my MBP, i'm hooked

now I want to be able to use my mac on my 56" hdtv, so a new problem arises. Do I want to use my MBP with a mini-display to hdmi adapter, or do I want to build a Hackintosh?

I haven't really decided on this yet, right now I'm leaning towards just getting the adapter, and getting a good wireless keyboard/mouse,any suggestions?

but another issue I'm running into with that is availabiltiy, as monoprice doesnt have them in stock.

Another issue is that from the research i've done, the adapter will only carry video, so I think I also need to get a 3.5mm to composite adapter for audio...is this correct?

mrkgoo

fireside said:
Yeah, I am/was just hoping that my battery would still be in "good shape" since it only has 49 cycles. Hopefully it'll improve when I calibrate it (thanks for the link teruterubozu) but I'm not really expecting anything.

Lithium batteries life span is lessened if constantly kept at full or empty charge. That's why they ship with 50% charge, why manufacturers recommend you half charge for storage, and why Macs do not allow constant charge cycling (it will let it drain before charging again). If you never calibrated the battery, it's possible the power management unit thought it was less than full and kept trying to constantly charge it, thus lessening its life. Also, Apple recommend that a battery DO be used occasionally to maximise life span.

Recon

Banned
Hey, i just bought an Unibody Macbook from apple, and i was wondering how to add icons to the dock? I swear im using Windows 7 on my macbook more than OS X because i have no clue how to use it efficiently. Any help would really be appreciated.

ReconYoda said:
Hey, i just bought an Unibody Macbook from apple, and i was wondering how to add icons to the dock? I swear im using Windows 7 on my macbook more than OS X because i have no clue how to use it efficiently. Any help would really be appreciated.
drag them to the dock,

while the program is closed, go to your applications folder and click and drag the icon to the dock

also id suggest using stacks and aliases for organization, if you want more info on that i can help, i was in your boat a month back, not knowing how an OS works for the first time in 15 years, stay with it, it won't let you down

Top Bottom